Which Program Will Win The Most National Titles This Upcoming Decade?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU88

Re: Which Program Will Win The Most National Titles This Upcoming Decade?

Post by CU88 »

Not sure where to put this, so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_1DKLWOaUU
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
walker

Post by walker »

North Carolina. 2 NC in the next decade.

Duke will get 2. SU 1 UVA 1
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

With the decision to provide all players with an extra year of eligibility and watching how the initial wave of the transfer portal played out, can you make a case for anyone BESIDES Duke at this point?

They offer the best business school programs willing to take students right out of undergrad while providing a legitimate shot at a national championship every single year. No one comes close to this offering for business minded transfers and it proved deadly with their first round of graduate transfers. This will not be a single year occurrence. Expect Duke to pick-off the top Ivy League seniors each and every year for the next three years as well.

Whether fair or not, this advantage is bound to throw off the competitive balance of Division 1 lacrosse. Combine that with top recruiting classes the next two years (including the unanimous number one recruits of 2020 and 2021) and it will be a tall task beating this squad in the near future. I would wager they win at least two of the next four NCs, with three being a real possibility.
WHOWHATWHERE

Post by WHOWHATWHERE »

Admitted ND fan here. Surprised people are looking past their offseason
Gallagher- could be biggest impact of offseason (if you don’t have the ball you don’t score
Thornton- adds to deep def
Yorke

Return of Leonard, Kielty and McNamara.

One of the top ranked incoming classes (2020).

Do not know who else might be in pipeline from transfer portal but would not be surprised if they added 1 or 2 more.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

BigTom4 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:56 pm With the decision to provide all players with an extra year of eligibility and watching how the initial wave of the transfer portal played out, can you make a case for anyone BESIDES Duke at this point?

They offer the best business school programs willing to take students right out of undergrad while providing a legitimate shot at a national championship every single year. No one comes close to this offering for business minded transfers and it proved deadly with their first round of graduate transfers. This will not be a single year occurrence. Expect Duke to pick-off the top Ivy League seniors each and every year for the next three years as well.

Whether fair or not, this advantage is bound to throw off the competitive balance of Division 1 lacrosse. Combine that with top recruiting classes the next two years (including the unanimous number one recruits of 2020 and 2021) and it will be a tall task beating this squad in the near future. I would wager they win at least two of the next four NCs, with three being a real possibility.
This post is so dead on. Duke will reap a windfall from all of this. Have heard speculation that Dano wants to cement his legacy by creating super teams over the next few years so he can comfortably (and with little push back) leave the program to his son. This whole thing stinks more than Zion’s parents’ mansion in Durham.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Does recruiting continue at the level it has if top recruits can look forward to having their PT supplanted by grad transfers year in and year out? Does someone not named Robertson decide to transfer out when they realize they are going to be spending a lot more time on the bench? Obviously Duke is a top program and will gets its share of the top guys still, but it has been on another level recently. Right now Duke appears to be reaping the best of both worlds, but there are still only 10 spots on the field. Having the most highly regarded talent doesn't instantly make a championship team either, and no matter how good you are it usually takes a little luck also. I really don't think the future will be as one-sided as you do.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

WHOWHATWHERE wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:26 pm Admitted ND fan here. Surprised people are looking past their offseason
Gallagher- could be biggest impact of offseason (if you don’t have the ball you don’t score
Yorke

Do not know who else might be in pipeline from transfer portal but would not be surprised if they added 1 or 2 more.
I still think losing Byrne was really big and it may take them a while to come back from that.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

BigTom4 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:56 pm Whether fair or not, this advantage is bound to throw off the competitive balance of Division 1 lacrosse. Combine that with top recruiting classes the next two years (including the unanimous number one recruits of 2020 and 2021) and it will be a tall task beating this squad in the near future. I would wager they win at least two of the next four NCs, with three being a real possibility.
"Unanimous" meaning the one source we have for recruiting rankings says they are the #1 recruits.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

Whatever team juices the most will have a good shot at winning. :)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I think the Duke transfer thing is getting a bit overblown. Not like other teams weren't interested in Sowers. If UNC had won his services would we be talking about them forming an unstoppable juggernaut for the next decade? Duke just happened to win the sweepstakes. As far as Adler goes—Duke needed a goalie. Both of their guys were below 50% this year, and as the saying goes, if you have two goalies, you have no goalies. The FOGO transfer I can't quite reconcile—they already had a pretty good one with several years of eligibility left, in addition to a five-star recruit coming in at the position—but I don't think he really moves the needle either way. It's true that Duke's business school sets them up well in the transfer market but I'm not sure how likely it is that they have as much success in the offseasons to come as they did in this particular one. These things have a tendency to even themselves out. I agree with the notion that recruits might start looking the other way if there exists a perception that Dano is only interested in stacking his team with one-year mercenaries for the foreseeable future rather than investing in his young home-grown talent.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:56 am I think the Duke transfer thing is getting a bit overblown. Not like other teams weren't interested in Sowers. If UNC had won his services would we be talking about them forming an unstoppable juggernaut for the next decade? Duke just happened to win the sweepstakes. As far as Adler goes—Duke needed a goalie. Both of their guys were below 50% this year, and as the saying goes, if you have two goalies, you have no goalies. The FOGO transfer I can't quite reconcile—they already had a pretty good one with several years of eligibility left, in addition to a five-star recruit coming in at the position—but I don't think he really moves the needle either way. It's true that Duke's business school sets them up well in the transfer market but I'm not sure how likely it is that they have as much success in the offseasons to come as they did in this particular one. These things have a tendency to even themselves out. I agree with the notion that recruits might start looking the other way if there exists a perception that Dano is only interested in stacking his team with one-year mercenaries for the foreseeable future rather than investing in his young home-grown talent.
Also, I'm curious, what teams will have defenses that will match up well vs. Duke and some of the teams loading up on offensive players, like UVA and Maryland. JHU will be tough to stop with a healthy Epstein. There will be a lot of good teams next year, but Sowers is gone after that. Nothing is guaranteed with recruits.
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:31 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:56 am I think the Duke transfer thing is getting a bit overblown. Not like other teams weren't interested in Sowers. If UNC had won his services would we be talking about them forming an unstoppable juggernaut for the next decade? Duke just happened to win the sweepstakes. As far as Adler goes—Duke needed a goalie. Both of their guys were below 50% this year, and as the saying goes, if you have two goalies, you have no goalies. The FOGO transfer I can't quite reconcile—they already had a pretty good one with several years of eligibility left, in addition to a five-star recruit coming in at the position—but I don't think he really moves the needle either way. It's true that Duke's business school sets them up well in the transfer market but I'm not sure how likely it is that they have as much success in the offseasons to come as they did in this particular one. These things have a tendency to even themselves out. I agree with the notion that recruits might start looking the other way if there exists a perception that Dano is only interested in stacking his team with one-year mercenaries for the foreseeable future rather than investing in his young home-grown talent.
Also, I'm curious, what teams will have defenses that will match up well vs. Duke and some of the teams loading up on offensive players, like UVA and Maryland. JHU will be tough to stop with a healthy Epstein. There will be a lot of good teams next year, but Sowers is gone after that. Nothing is guaranteed with recruits.
Not saying it's guaranteed, just saying they are in the best position to pick off the top business minded Ivy League seniors for the next three years.

Could easily see someone like in Chris Fake 2021, Sam Handley in 2022, and Mike Long in 2023 making their way down to Durham for one last shot at a championship.

You are naive if you think this year will be an isolated event.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

BigTom4 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:37 pm
Not saying it's guaranteed, just saying they are in the best position to pick off the top business minded Ivy League seniors for the next three years.

Could easily see someone like in Chris Fake 2021, Sam Handley in 2022, and Mike Long in 2023 making their way down to Durham for one last shot at a championship.

I have been saying this for the last month. This is not a one year deal. The Ivy League (and others) will be losing its best players (5th year guys) to schools like ND, Duke, UNC and Virginia for the next three years because of their excellent grad programs, particularly in business. I realize that Michigan has excellent grad programs too, but for the player who is looking to win a National Championship I would put those first four teams at the top of each grad's list. Gonna make it tougher for the Ivy league to compete with these super programs loaded with 5th year studs. Not saying impossible to compete...just tougher. When you see guys like Harvard sophomore Austin Madronic already in the portal for 2022, you realize that it is going to be a thing for awhile.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:10 am
WHOWHATWHERE wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:26 pm Admitted ND fan here. Surprised people are looking past their offseason
Yorke

I still think losing Byrne was really big and it may take them a while to come back from that.

Yes, they should be really good next year. But regarding the initial question, will they have the most, much less, any, national titles this decade?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

as the poster above says, nd, uva and unc have similar programs. and they're all in the same conference.
personally, don't think even a sowers led duke is going to find the acc a walk in the park next year. or after.
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:55 pm

as the poster above says, nd, uva and unc have similar programs. and they're all in the same conference.
personally, don't think even a sowers led duke is going to find the acc a walk in the park next year. or after.
They aren't similar programs, that is the point.

ND's b school is barely breaking the top 30 while Duke is top 15. (Plus you get better weather while avoiding getting yelled at by Corrigan ;) )

UVA has the best b school of the bunch, but they won't take students straight out of undergrad, so its not an option for 5th years.

UNC is probably the closest comparable, but they haven't shown the same willingness to let waves of 5th year lacrosse players in.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

[/quote]

ND's b school is barely breaking the top 30 while Duke is top 15. (Plus you get better weather while avoiding getting yelled at by Corrigan ;) )

UVA has the best b school of the bunch, but they won't take students straight out of undergrad, so its not an option for 5th years.

UNC is probably the closest comparable, but they haven't shown the same willingness to let waves of 5th year lacrosse players in.
[/quote]

Might be wrong, but I don't believe the Duke 5th year transfers this year are enrolling in the MBA program. B-School rankings are probably irrelevant to most of them, or a very distant priority behind lacrosse and cost. Fuqua has a few 1 year masters programs that don't require GMATs or work experience.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

BigTom4 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:35 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:55 pm

https://poetsandquants.com/specialized- ... ed-master/
bertrand i heard is in the one year b school.

notre dame has arguably the best alumni network in the country, and has a 1 year business degree.

none of these schools will likely ever offer waves. they'll be precise. including the blue devils.
no one in the acc is scared of duke.
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:52 am
no one in the acc is scared of duke.
I wouldn't be so sure about that :lol:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BigTom4 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:35 am UNC is probably the closest comparable, but they haven't shown the same willingness to let waves of 5th year lacrosse players in.
Just because they don't have a wave of transfers coming in yet this particular offseason doesn't mean they aren't willing. They wanted Sowers but lost out on him to Duke. They talked to a couple of the other big-name transfers before they decided on other schools. This was part of the reasoning behind my post: This year the hot ticket is Duke (and to a lesser extent, Notre Dame), but next summer it might be Carolina. There's nothing about their graduate school that makes it unwilling to accept 5th year lacrosse transfers. What might be holding them back is apparently their graduate business school only offers a single 1-year master's program (in accounting). Several other ACC and Big Ten schools have a wider variety of 1-year programs. But it's not that they aren't willing.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”