Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by bearlaxfan »

Numbers are certainly #1, but demographics matter, and I think lax demo gets their attention.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:34 pm Numbers are certainly #1, but demographics matter, and I think lax demo gets their attention.
Yes. College lacrosse gets far more tv coverage than college soccer.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:42 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:34 pm Numbers are certainly #1, but demographics matter, and I think lax demo gets their attention.
Having now watched the Stony Brook/ Hofstra game and the Loyola/ Towson game on really simple streaming services, I long for the days of the simpler, and more easily accessible Ivy Network. Given the significant donor support of Ivy athletics, one would think that the league could make an argument for providing simple streaming without the contractual issues surrounding ESPN, etc.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

I actually find ESPN+ simple both at home on my appletv and when away on my iPad using the espn app. For the Towson game if home I had to mirror from my iPad to the Apple TV to put on my large screen tv, not difficult but not as easy as using the espn app directly on the appletv.... I think $4.99 a month is a deal and why re-invent what espn has built and can continue to invest in as technology changes. Our alumni and other resources have much better things to spend money and time on, like the new field house.....
Last edited by RedIvy on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

faircornell wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:06 pm
Having now watched the Stony Brook/ Hofstra game and the Loyola/ Towson game on really simple streaming services, I long for the days of the simpler, and more easily accessible Ivy Network. Given the significant donor support of Ivy athletics, one would think that the league could make an argument for providing simple streaming without the contractual issues surrounding ESPN, etc.
What I miss about the Ivy League Network was the ability to look at old games in the library. Lost that functionality with ESPN+. The library went back a few years. I was looking at games as far back as 2012.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Wow a lot of time available. I do find most games and highlights are on YouTube.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:18 pm
What I miss about the Ivy League Network was the ability to look at old games in the library. Lost that functionality with ESPN+. The library went back a few years. I was looking at games as far back as 2012.
Not to rabble rouse, but Cornell raises approximately $7MM each year (directly) for athletics, plus, a greater amount indirectly. I assume for HYP it's much more. You'd think for all of that cash that a streaming service outside of ESPN could be justified. If the Patriot League and America East can justify it. I would assume that the Ivy League could.
Typical Lax Dad

faircornell wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:30 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:18 pm
Not to rabble rouse, but Cornell raises approximately $7MM each year (directly) for athletics, plus, a greater amount indirectly. I assume for HYP it's much more. You'd think for all of that cash that a streaming service outside of ESPN could be justified. If the Patriot League and America East can justify it. I would assume that the Ivy League could.
I don't know why ILDN sold out. It was very good.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

NElaxtalent wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:30 am Ivy appears to have (4) NCAA-worthy teams. Almost inconceivable they get 4 bids as in-league losses will drive someone outside the Top 10. Shaping up to be a fascinating game of musical chairs.
As an FYI...

In 2006, Princeton, Penn, Cornell and Harvard received bids to the tourney. I believe Harvard was 6-6, and the team had already packed up their stuff and cleaned out their lockers. When it came down to RPI, they were good enough for that last spot.

So there is precedence. True, there will be some in-league losses for some, but the ACC gets four regularly. No reason why the Ivy can't pull that off this year.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

QuakerSouth wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:06 pm
NElaxtalent wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:30 am Ivy appears to have (4) NCAA-worthy teams. Almost inconceivable they get 4 bids as in-league losses will drive someone outside the Top 10. Shaping up to be a fascinating game of musical chairs.
As an FYI...

In 2006, Princeton, Penn, Cornell and Harvard received bids to the tourney. I believe Harvard was 6-6, and the team had already packed up their stuff and cleaned out their lockers. When it came down to RPI, they were good enough for that last spot.

So there is precedence. True, there will be some in-league losses for some, but the ACC gets four regularly. No reason why the Ivy can't pull that off this year.
I agree, if we maintain our out of conference performance (big if with some very challenging schedules) inter-league losses will be to other top ranked teams. I think this would require that the league is bifurcated with top league performers and bottom league performers (the top 4 only loose to each other and all beat the bottom three). And even then there are other big variables including bias voting. But it could happen, its fun to dream at the start of the season.... until reality hits......
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Well, there is a roadmap, and its called the ACC.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Ivy opponents this week: Ohio State, Hopkins, UMass-Lowell, UMass, Providence, Albany, Penn State

Another worthy batch of opponents. Not going to hurt the ivies SOS, but need wins up and down the list to keep the Ivy RPI high enough to keep the 3-4 bid discussion from fading. ACC roadmap is for the entire league to lose only a handful of OOC games, and having very few of those losses be to any but high ranking teams, so that in league losses don't become as much of an RPI problem as they would be otherwise.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

QuakerSouth wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:30 am Well, there is a roadmap, and its called the ACC.
I think ACC is a little different with fewer teams and traditionally all teams in the league highly ranked.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

calourie wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:28 am Ivy opponents this week: Ohio State, Hopkins, UMass-Lowell, UMass, Providence, Albany, Penn State

Another worthy batch of opponents. Not going to hurt the ivies SOS, but need wins up and down the list to keep the Ivy RPI high enough to keep the 3-4 bid discussion from fading. ACC roadmap is for the entire league to lose only a handful of OOC games, and having very few of those losses be to any but high ranking teams, so that in league losses don't become as much of an RPI problem as they would be otherwise.
It will be interesting to see the defensive strategy that Coach P of Hopkins puts up against Michael Sowers of Princeton.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

calourie wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:28 am Ivy opponents this week: Ohio State, Hopkins, UMass-Lowell, UMass, Providence, Albany, Penn State

Harvard @ Albany, a pair of 1-1 teams, looks rather interesting.

Cornell @ the OSU, Sunday noon on ESPNU. I love Ivy v Big 10 lacrosse games. Speaking of Ivy v Big 10, Penn hosts Penn State Saturday at the same time Princeton hosts Hop. Wow. Just "wow."

UMass always plays Yale tough; Providence is 3-1 going into the game at local rival Brown, while Dartmouth heads south to UMass Lowell. If Dartmouth wins, I'll start calling the Big Green "undefeated Dartmouth" until such a time that they aren't.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

RedIvy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:57 pm
QuakerSouth wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:30 am Well, there is a roadmap, and its called the ACC.
I think ACC is a little different with fewer teams and traditionally all teams in the league highly ranked.
Thats true, but the ACC doesn't even get an AQ. They feasted on 4 At-Larges to get them all there.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The important thing is for the Ivies to continue winning, as calourie indicated. For statistical reasons, games like Brown v Providence and Albany v Harvard do matter. GO IVIES!
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:27 am The important thing is for the Ivies to continue winning, as calourie indicated. For statistical reasons, games like Brown v Providence and Albany v Harvard do matter. GO IVIES!
Agreed, this keeps even the lower end of the league in the upper end of all D1 and then helps overall league SOS.

Good luck to all the Ivies this weekend!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I'm not sure of the most relevant place to post this, but since OOC play seems to be a big theme for the Ivies, Duke seems to have challenges in goal this year. Against Richmond, the combined save percentage of two keepers was around 27 percent.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Don’t bother with MegaBucks or Vito’s sure thing. If you’re looking to bet the mortgage money on a can’t miss lock, here’s the inside line. Feel free to second guess, but Can Opener is almost never wrong on his Ivy picks. Bring seven separate brown envelopes to the diner in the morning and tell the missus to put her pretty dress on because you’re taking her out on the town to spend your winnings.

#1 Yale at “Receiving Votes” UMass — Elis empty the bench in a 17-8 victory
#8 Princeton hosts “Receiving Votes” (really?!?) Hop — Sowers notches 7 points en route to a 14-11 Tigers win. Mt. St. Mary’s game can’t come soon enough for the Bloomberg Boys
#9 Penn hosts #2 PSU - RPI improves but Quakers lose to Nits 11-9
#10 Cornell @ #18 TOSU - Ivy luck runs out in OT, 14-13
“Receiving Votes” (from Coach Byrne???) Harvard at Albany - Tehoka notches 6 points to lead the Danes to a 9-7 victory
PC at Brown - Bears don’t blow a late inning lead here and prevail 12-9
Dartmouth @ UMass Lowell — Undefeated Big Green gets first taste of defeat 14-8

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”