D3 Men NCAA Tournament

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Whodem52

Re: D3 Men NCAA Tournament

Post by Whodem52 »

valaxfan wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:52 pm
thescottharris wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:24 pm
palaxoff wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:57 am Next Round of potential Upsets?

Not really seeing any upsets in Northern Bracket, picked Stevenson last round, don't know if they have all the horse to play Tufts especially with a double digit lose to them earlier, but that's why they play the game. Amherst and Wesleyan is an unfortunate luck of the draw, be a fun game to watch.

I think Cabrini, Salisbury and York all have matches where the potential of looking ahead could cost them, not sure but think the odds are one will go down. Thinking W & L late season surge might be enough to push them past York.
If I had to make an unbiased pick on an upset, as much as it pains me to say, I'd go W&L over York.
Scott, we finally wore you down, LOL. I sure hope the Gennies come ready to play, and win.

valaxfan
Hope they lose by 100

Buzz
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Hmmm... Appears a lot of folks want Salisbury to lose - LOL "Sudsbury" Hell, that's just a nickname that comes along with enjoying a beer following NC victories!

Lynchburg is a solid team with a quality coach who typically play competitive games against SU. I just believe Salisbury is a better team and should win game at home. The Gulls have only lost at home once since 2016 and it's unlikely it will happen twice in the same season with a record of 20-1. Their goalie is back and has been playing lights out the last two games - it's all about confidence. The Gulls have probably the best in the business at the X and as expected, the team appears to be peaking at the right time w/ their D playing very well and more and more getting into the scoring column.

Don't hate the Seagulls for being Great!! Just introduce yourself, sit down & enjoy some of those "suds" w/ Gull Nation-

GOGULLS!!
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

valaxfan wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:52 pm
thescottharris wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:24 pm
palaxoff wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:57 am Next Round of potential Upsets?

Not really seeing any upsets in Northern Bracket, picked Stevenson last round, don't know if they have all the horse to play Tufts especially with a double digit lose to them earlier, but that's why they play the game. Amherst and Wesleyan is an unfortunate luck of the draw, be a fun game to watch.

I think Cabrini, Salisbury and York all have matches where the potential of looking ahead could cost them, not sure but think the odds are one will go down. Thinking W & L late season surge might be enough to push them past York.
If I had to make an unbiased pick on an upset, as much as it pains me to say, I'd go W&L over York.
Scott, we finally wore you down, LOL. I sure hope the Gennies come ready to play, and win.

valaxfan
lol now don't go thinking I am a fan, I won't let my dislike cloud my judgment though!

I will be interested to see if York pulls out some of the same defensive stuff as Lynchburg used on Saturday because AJ Witherell was masterfully defended by Meadows (I think it was him) and the slides to double to help were perfectly executed/timed. Though I think W&L did a poor job adjusting to that all game because it looked like there was a lot of standing around off ball to me. Players off ball need to be more active and read the defense quicker to cut to where there is space when AJ is doubled so AJ can pick them apart with the pass early (as much as any team as good as York or Lynchburg can be picked apart that is) and force single coverage.
Whodem52

Post by Whodem52 »

COGULL wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:06 pm Hmmm... Appears a lot of folks want Salisbury to lose - LOL "Sudsbury" Hell, that's just a nickname that comes along with enjoying a beer following NC victories!

Lynchburg is a solid team with a quality coach who typically play competitive games against SU. I just believe Salisbury is a better team and should win game at home. The Gulls have only lost at home once since 2016 and it's unlikely it will happen twice in the same season with a record of 20-1. Their goalie is back and has been playing lights out the last two games - it's all about confidence. The Gulls have probably the best in the business at the X and as expected, the team appears to be peaking at the right time w/ their D playing very well and more and more getting into the scoring column.

Don't hate the Seagulls for being Great!! Just introduce yourself, sit down & enjoy some of those "suds" w/ Gull Nation-

GOGULLS!!
Sorry. Meant dropout U. My bad
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

seacoaster wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:22 pm
Cnoll wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:04 pm Yes, I have been to every game. If they play like they did last night, they will be in big trouble
My daughter's text to me last night: "flat start again Dad." Sound about right?
Yes. Scoreless 3rd Q kept Concordia in the game.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

Never said that but I think we can agree the CC is a tougher league than the NEWMAC. Honestly think this UC team was playing a little bit above their pay grade all year, especially this past week without DeSimone.
Not sure if the CC claim meets the smell test this year, All 3 teams from CC were the favored at home in first round and none succeeded.

As for Ursinus, looking at stats they out played Springfield except the 1 stat that counts. Even without DeSimone they scored 15.
richard

Post by richard »

palaxoff wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:48 am
Never said that but I think we can agree the CC is a tougher league than the NEWMAC. Honestly think this UC team was playing a little bit above their pay grade all year, especially this past week without DeSimone.
Not sure if the CC claim meets the smell test this year, All 3 teams from CC were the favored at home in first round and none succeeded.

As for Ursinus, looking at stats they out played Springfield except the 1 stat that counts. Even without DeSimone they scored 15.
Stats look close to me.
NYLaxer

Post by NYLaxer »

palaxoff wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:48 am

Both teams played hard. Never look to take anything away from Springfield, but where UC fell down was errors. As you said, they scored 15 with the attack they had so offense wasn't weak. D wasn't weak but there were stupid errors, esp in OT when they turned the ball over after winning FO, with no SF guys around. Can't do that when each team is in a frenzy due to OT. They had another outstanding/highlight reel GK show from their senior, but when you give the ball away, you are going to lose. SF won with a subpar GK day. That tells you something right there.
~~Played in the days when the helmets weren't nearly as cool!
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

palaxoff wrote: ↑Fri May 10, 2019 7:48 am

Both teams played hard. Never look to take anything away from Springfield, but where UC fell down was errors. As you said, they scored 15 with the attack they had so offense wasn't weak. D wasn't weak but there were stupid errors, esp in OT when they turned the ball over after winning FO, with no SF guys around. Can't do that when each team is in a frenzy due to OT. They had another outstanding/highlight reel GK show from their senior, but when you give the ball away, you are going to lose. SF won with a subpar GK day. That tells you something right there.
No disrespect to Springfield, They took care of business, good luck tomorrow. I saw the early score and had moved to another game, was just using stats to figure out what happened. Thanks for your recap. Sorry to hear the GK had to end his career that way. He did an amazing job all year, one of the main factors in their success.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Here’s tomorrow’s winners; Tufts, Amherst, Williams, RIT, Lynchburg, Denison, Cabrini, W&L ..... had to go with the ODAC
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:55 pm Here’s tomorrow’s winners; Tufts, Amherst, William s, RIT, Lynchburg, Denison, Cabrini, W&L ..... had to go with the ODAC
Shocker. :roll:

I’ll be at York / W&L tomorrow. If York can keep it near 50/50 at the dot (like they did last time 8/17 vs 9/17 respectively), limit Witherell’s looks, and sure up their clear attempts, I like their odds.

That said, York didn’t play their brand of lacrosse until the 4th quarter on Wednesday. W&L isn’t a team you can afford to do that nonsense with.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
fitzlax

Post by fitzlax »

admin wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:48 pm So what happened with Illinois Wesleyan? They have a good season, appear to be ready to make a run, and then lose 22-9 to a team they beat earlier in the season?
First, congrats to Rhodes on a great game. I was thinking of a Denison/IWU Midwest region showdown, to see if IWU could take a step forward in their progression, and Rhodes showed how a team can improve over the year. I really enjoyed watching freshman #91 Alexi Thomas. He was a GB vacuum, and every time he grabbed one, he (and the rest of the Rhodes team) pushed it down the field.

In looking at the game stats and watching some of the game, a couple things stood out to me:
1) IWU had trouble with Rhodes size and speed. Rhodes' D was very physical with IWU, kept the ball out of IWU's play makers, and kept IWU from their transition game and getting shots they are used to getting.
2) IWU's ride didn't cause Rhodes much trouble, and Rhodes was able to easily (and quickly) transition out of the defensive end. Both's Rhodes Dpoles and SSMs were able to beat IWU down the field with numbers, and there were a number to times when they scored off of the transition.
3) IWU had trouble with FO. IWU's primary FO person, who was the CCIW DPOY because of his FO stats, was only 1 of 6. I don't know if he was hurt, or if the FO matchup didn't fit him. On top of that, when Rhodes won the FO, they aggressively attacked the goal and score a number of goals on the FO rush.

I'll be watching today's Denison/Rhodes game to see if Rhodes can avenge another previous loss.
richard

Post by richard »

Shoot, not even one upset. Here's to next year. Can't wait.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

D3 MEN: Quarterfinals on Wednesday, May 15 - #8 Williams vs. #2 RIT, #7 Cabrini vs. #4 York, #1 Tufts vs. #5 Amherst, and #3 Salisbury vs. #6 Denison.
oldlaw

Post by oldlaw »

Shows that the selection committee did a pretty good job!!!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Good previews for each of the up coming games https://www.diiilacrosse.com/2019/05/qu ... s.html?m=1
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

No mention of the battle of the FOGO in the Salisbury/Denison preview. That will be a very important matchup.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:27 pmGood previews for each of the up coming games https://www.diiilacrosse.com/2019/05/qu ... s.html?m=1
This is great. We need this guy/gal in this forum!
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

https://www.diiilacrosse.com/2019/05/qu ... s.html?m=1

Real nice synopsis based on that and my gut:
Tufts wins in a close one. They know each other and played a tight game this season
RIT is able to control game and win
Salisbury wins easily sorry Denison just don't think you have enough horse to face the Evil Empire.
Cabrini in an upset as York looks past them to a rematch with Salisbury for the rubber match having already beaten Cabrini earlier in the season.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

Dennison has not played a top 10 team all tear, and is 2 and 1 against top 20 teams. Salisbury is 2 and 1 against top 10 teams, 5 and 1 against top 20 teams. Dennison’s lack of exposure to top teams is going to cost them, and Salisbury wins easily.
Cabrini is 0 and 2 against top 10 teams, 1 and 2 against top 20 teams. York is 2 and 2 against top 10, 5 and 2 against top 20. Cabrini’s ranking is misleading based on a fairly weak SOS, and Cabrini has not had much exposure nor success against top teams. York wins, again fairly easily.
Northern bracket a different story. All four teams have both exposure and success against top 10 and top 20 teams.
Tufts 4 and 1 against top 10, 7 and 1 against top 20. Amherst 5 and 3 against top 10, 7 and 3 against top 20. Both know what they are up against, will come down to execution and coaching. Both tremendously good at scoring, and the team that controls possessions likely victorious.
Williams 4 and 3 against top 10, 6 and 3 against top 20. RIT 5 and 1 against top 10, 8 and 1 against top 20. Again, both teams very experienced and successful against top teams. Think Williams is recently battle-tested in NESCAC tournament and peaking and will prevail.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”