Coaching Carousel

D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:23 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:36 pm
8meterPA wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:14 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:23 pm Drexel rounds out their coaching staff with assistants Alyssa Guido & Katie O'Donnell
I may be the only one that finds it interesting that Katie O'Donnell left Lehigh - they have a nice team and she was only there 2 years.
Hadn't thought of that. Where is she from? Maybe she doesn't want to spend another year in Bethlehem? Boyfriend/girlfriend in Philly? Eagles season tickets? Family around there?

And I should have added: you're right. They have a nice team at Lehigh, particularly with those three young attackers. Not sure if the two (in particular) really good midfielders are back in '22.
Dickey was the strength of the Lehigh team. If she is not back, I think she was already 5th year last year, then they need to fill some big shoes. Carnevale (SP?) shows alot of finishing skills and the other super soph Attacks from last year put up good numbers. Lehigh will still be top three of the Patriot League in 2022 regardless of their Assistant coaches departure.
Yep, she's done and she was one of my favorite players in the Patriot league, imo she never got the props she deserved outside of the league. Agree about the attack, which may be the best in the patriot league (no disrespect to Loyola).
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:38 pm
great video - I believe the defender that she scores on is #32 fellow phila area (main line) all american Katie Detwiler..and they played against each other in high school as well - Conestoga vs. Archbishop Carroll...brings back memories!

If you all could just humor me for a minute - I know this is a coaching carousel thread - but thinking back to the MONSTER team that Conestoga High School had back in 2013- 2017 time frame - all these kids just played their last year in college but just to name a few -

Sondra Dickey (Lehigh )
Scottie Rose Growney (UNC)
Liz Scott (Loyola)
Monica Borzilla (Cincinnati - holds career point record at Cincinnati)

and there were others that also went to D1 on that Conestoga team but man the Phila main line area had some incredible talent during those years. And did I mention that the Archbishop Carroll team had Sam Swart & Detwiler!
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:14 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:38 pm
great video - I believe the defender that she scores on is #32 fellow phila area (main line) all american Katie Detwiler..and they played against each other in high school as well - Conestoga vs. Archbishop Carroll...brings back memories!

If you all could just humor me for a minute - I know this is a coaching carousel thread - but thinking back to the MONSTER team that Conestoga High School had back in 2013- 2017 time frame - all these kids just played their last year in college but just to name a few -

Sondra Dickey (Lehigh )
Scottie Rose Growney (UNC)
Liz Scott (Loyola)
Monica Borzilla (Cincinnati - holds career point record at Cincinnati)

and there were others that also went to D1 on that Conestoga team but man the Phila main line area had some incredible talent during those years. And did I mention that the Archbishop Carroll team had Sam Swart & Detwiler!
I think Monica's got 4-5 records at Cincinnati :lol:
Liz Scott and Dickey are actually cousins! Not quite as related, but Growney is a cousin of Dox Aitken as well.
Amy Orcutt has done a tremendous job at Conestoga, and the entire area is talent-rich. Teams in the Central League always beat up on each other, especially in the few years before 2013 and before some of the schools in the CL reclassified. Wasn't unusual to see 2 CL teams in the state final. Local Inter-Ac is always talented too.
Last edited by wlaxphan20 on Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:27 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:40 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:36 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:23 pm Drexel rounds out their coaching staff with assistants Alyssa Guido & Katie O'Donnell
I may be the only one that finds it interesting that Katie O'Donnell left Lehigh - they have a nice team and she was only there 2 years.
Hadn't thought of that. Where is she from? Maybe she doesn't want to spend another year in Bethlehem? Boyfriend/girlfriend in Philly? Eagles season tickets? Family around there?
Lehigh does have a good program, but family is from West Chester, so Philly would be closer. Probably closer to a lot of friends living in/around the city as well.
although given the traffic - Lehigh may be a shorter commute than Phila!
Maybe it's just personal preference but I'd take I-95 over 476 :lol:
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Irony of her going to Drexel is that she was recruited by Drexel when she was in HS. Her mother Jen is a very well known Lacrosse official.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:13 pm

Irony of her going to Drexel is that she was recruited by Drexel when she was in HS. Her mother Jen is a very well known Lacrosse official.
Yes she is, and certainly no "senior citizen"
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:35 pm

She used to be the head official for the Ivy League, I think. Maybe still is. There was a nice article somewhere about Mrs. O'Donnell and Daughter. Just forget where I saw it. One of those Philly area sports blogs?
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:36 am

She used to be the head official for the Ivy League, I think. Maybe still is. There was a nice article somewhere about Mrs. O'Donnell and Daughter. Just forget where I saw it. One of those Philly area sports blogs?
I believe this is it? https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/usa-insi ... d-the-game
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

glaxer24 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:17 am

That's it! Thanks glaxer24.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:45 am
glaxer24 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:17 am

That's it! Thanks glaxer24.
Of course- great article!!
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Simkins and Dowd to join Tumolo at Army as assistants :D
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:29 pm
Yep, she's done and she was one of my favorite players in the Patriot league, imo she never got the props she deserved outside of the league. Agree about the attack, which may be the best in the patriot league (no disrespect to Loyola).
She was a beast (not a stud :D ). no disrespect to Loyola Attack taken. However, the best midfield in PL is that Hound line :twisted:
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

glaxer24 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:03 pm Simkins and Dowd to join Tumolo at Army as assistants :D
Will the star power of the staff aid in recruiting players? How do you think Army does in the Patriot next season? Think they’ll challenge Loyola for supremacy in the coming years?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:07 pm
glaxer24 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:03 pm Simkins and Dowd to join Tumolo at Army as assistants :D
Will the star power of the staff aid in recruiting players? How do you think Army does in the Patriot next season? Think they’ll challenge Loyola for supremacy in the coming years?
Yes.
Third or Fourth.
Nope, not for another three or four anyway.

Recruiting to the Service Academies is harder than and different from other "colleges." The star power of the staff will help, I think. But you still have to get the kid behind the idea of training to become part of the officer class of the armed services. This really, it seems to me, reduces the pool that can and frankly should be interested in you.

I remember watching the 2004 Men's NCAA final between Navy and Syracuse, and being just astonished not only that Navy had made the final, but that they were hanging, goal for goal, with Syracuse (which featured, among other excellent players, Michael Powell). A service academy competing for the title on Memorial Day.
DMac

Post by DMac »

One of the most intense and best NC games ever, and one that even as a Cuse fan you wouldn't have minded seeing Navy win. This game also featured the future Navy SEAL Brendon Looney (RIP). Yup, a little different recruiting at the military academies when the possibility of sending your child off to war enters the picture. Lot of people are understandably going to say no to that.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Dowd has been an interesting one to follow. UNC did great things with her running the offense. But, she has been all over the place since she took that Oregon HC job.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

And thus it begins....
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:39 pm
Dowd has been an interesting one to follow. UNC did great things with her running the offense. But, she has been all over the place since she took that Oregon HC job.

Not really. She went back to UNC after Oregon for 2 years and then off to Europe. Is that considered all over the place?
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:29 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:07 pm
Yes.
Third or Fourth.
Nope, not for another three or four anyway.

Recruiting to the Service Academies is harder than and different from other "colleges." The star power of the staff will help, I think. But you still have to get the kid behind the idea of training to become part of the officer class of the armed services. This really, it seems to me, reduces the pool that can and frankly should be interested in you.

I remember watching the 2004 Men's NCAA final between Navy and Syracuse, and being just astonished not only that Navy had made the final, but that they were hanging, goal for goal, with Syracuse (which featured, among other excellent players, Michael Powell). A service academy competing for the title on Memorial Day.
The financial incentives of a service academy are hard to ignore, even though many folks will say that's not a great reason to attend. The typical service academy grad has money in the bank when they graduate and no debt. On the other hand, if you attend a private university with a similar academic profile, you could easily be more than $100,000 in the red. Also on the financial ledger is the career and earning potential of a service academy grad. What private sector employer wouldn't be interested in an Army alum who was a varsity athlete and had five years of intense leadership and accountability experience post-college? That resume goes right to the top of the stack. Even if the prospective student-athlete isn't thinking about the cash equation, plenty of parents are.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”