Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
EasyRider

Re: Navy 2020

Post by EasyRider »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:47 pm Amplo's Assoc HC at Marquette coached the offense. His future (if he stays at Marq as asst or HC or follows to Navy) could determine whether there's a place for RW on the Navy staff. Is there room for 2 Assoc HC's & recruiting coords ? An abundance of coaching talent if they can work it out. Would the HC run the box ? hmmm...
Very unlikely that the current Marquette assistants (Brundage, Richard) follow Amplo to Navy.

Look for Amplo to go after Stimmel (Yale) hard for 1st assistant, assuming he doesn't receive a HC position elsewhere. Gilardi (Towson), Simon Connor (Nova) or Peet Poillon (Hobart) perhaps.

If Wellner returns to Navy, that would give them Amplo (defense) and Wellner (defense), so I think Camposa's the odd-man out in that setup. Although, Amplo has been on the defensive side of things for 20+ seasons ... he may be interested in helming the offense.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Gilardi reportedly was offered the chance to stay at Navy in 2011, but opted to leave for Towson.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

EasyRider wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:26 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:47 pm Amplo's Assoc HC at Marquette coached the offense. His future (if he stays at Marq as asst or HC or follows to Navy) could determine whether there's a place for RW on the Navy staff. Is there room for 2 Assoc HC's & recruiting coords ? An abundance of coaching talent if they can work it out. Would the HC run the box ? hmmm...
Very unlikely that the current Marquette assistants (Brundage, Richard) follow Amplo to Navy.

Look for Amplo to go after Stimmel (Yale) hard for 1st assistant, assuming he doesn't receive a HC position elsewhere. Gilardi (Towson), Simon Connor (Nova) or Peet Poillon (Hobart) perhaps.

If Wellner returns to Navy, that would give them Amplo (defense) and Wellner (defense), so I think Camposa's the odd-man out in that setup. Although, Amplo has been on the defensive side of things for 20+ seasons ... he may be interested in helming the offense.
As I posted earlier this week the comparison of Loyola staffing: Toomey HC, Mark VA OC, Dwan DC. So Navy could look similar...Amplo HC, Wellner DC, Phipps, Stimmel, Poillon, ??? OC. It does put Camposa in a tough spot
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

It would be great if Wellner & Camposa end up back at SB, or in a good D-III opportunity.

Who runs the box for Loyola ?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Dwan does.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:43 pm It would be great if Wellner & Camposa end up back at SB, or in a good D-III opportunity.
That would be awesome! But again, I'd be surprised if SBU gave a first timer the reigns...
SonnySide

Post by SonnySide »

Does anyone have any intel on who Amplo might hire? You figure he has to hire at least 1 guy soon since recruiting is in full swing. His top assistant has to be an O guy and good recruiter I would think.

Some awesome names have been mentioned. Maybe he can convince Phipps to come back?

I also want to reiterate how great of a man Coach Wellner was and respected by all.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:48 pm Gilardi reportedly was offered the chance to stay at Navy in 2011, but opted to leave for Towson.
Where-by Coach Gilardi was provided the opportunity to be in command and control of the Tiger's O model for Coach Nadelen, same as Coach Cocchi was for the Tiger's D, and not be limited as just a de-facto coordinator of Coach Sowell's O model for the Mids...that worked out quite well for the TU Tigers from 2012-2019 @ 83-50/.624, with W seasons @ 6 of 8/.750, along with five CAA Championships (2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019), five NCAA Tournament berths (2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019), two NCAA Quarterfinals (2016, 2017) and one Championship Weekend appearance (2017). Impressive indeed.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

laxxygilmore wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:14 am

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:48 pm Gilardi reportedly was offered the chance to stay at Navy in 2011, but opted to leave for Towson.
Where-by Coach Gilardi was provided the opportunity to be in command and control of the Tiger's O model for Coach Nadelen, same as Coach Cocchi was for the Tiger's D, and not be limited as just a de-facto coordinator of Coach Sowell's O model for the Mids...that worked out quite well for the TU Tigers from 2012-2019 @ 83-50/.624, with W seasons @ 6 of 8/.750, along with five CAA Championships (2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019), five NCAA Tournament berths (2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019), two NCAA Quarterfinals (2016, 2017) and one Championship Weekend appearance (2017). Impressive indeed.

Yeah, Sowell's O model never worked, not sure how he ever won any games in his career. Heck, did he even play the game ;)
old salt

Post by old salt »

Here's the PL master sched for 2020 & out years.
http://www.patriotleague.org/documents/ ... df?id=6264
Navy's bye moves up to the 3rd wk, Loyola's to the 2nd wk.
Both should be prior to the start of Big 10 conf play.
Combined with Feb game slots before PL play starts.
it may be possible for both Navy & Loyola to play both JHU & MD, every year.
It could be good for PL attendance & CBSSN/BTN/ESPN early season scheduling (if b-ball doesn't conflict).
Army-Navy is the last avail Sat of the regular PL season (the final wk PL games are Fri, late pm).
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

SonnySide wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:02 pm Does anyone have any intel on who Amplo might hire? You figure he has to hire at least 1 guy soon since recruiting is in full swing. His top assistant has to be an O guy and good recruiter I would think.

Some awesome names have been mentioned. Maybe he can convince Phipps to come back?

I also want to reiterate how great of a man Coach Wellner was and respected by all.

And now this from the Crab Wrapper:

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

Fore

“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Chief T: Off topic. Your "signature" is one I heard many times at the dinner table, often in lieu of grace. Brilliant words we can all live by if we allow ourselves to do so.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Tecumseh wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:40 am And now this from the Crab Wrapper:

.:shock:. .:D. ...that's all good, on every level. Fire up the bandwagon.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

https://navysports.com/news/2019/6/5/jo ... -navy.aspx

"It is an honor and a privilege to be named the next head coach at the United States Naval Academy. Having the opportunity to help develop the next group of our nation's leaders is a responsibility that I do not take lightly. I look forward to embracing everything the Naval Academy stands for, engaging with our alumni, immersing our family into this community and, most of all, developing life-long relationships with the members of our team as we work to add more successes to the rich history of Navy lacrosse."
old salt wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:56 pm
Tecumseh wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:40 am And now this from the Crab Wrapper:

.:shock:. .:D. ...that's all good, on every level. Fire up the bandwagon.
Indeed. Great to see such genuine respect and enthusiasm overall expressed in this interview by Coach Amplo, and especially from his key comments below regarding USNA MLax alumni and current players...

“For me, the Naval Academy was the complete package. From a destination standpoint in our sport, the Navy job has always been right at the top for me. I always looked at this job as a great opportunity for a number of reasons,” Amplo said.

“Just the fact you get to work at one of the world’s greatest institutions, it’s hard to compare anything with that. You factor in the type of student-athlete you’re going to be associated with and that makes it even more attractive,” Amplo added. “On top of all that, the Naval Academy is located in what my wife and I consider one of the best places to live. Annapolis is almost like a resort town. This is a great place to live and raise a family.”

“Mr. Gladchuk didn’t put specific expectations on me, but I do understand there is an expectation to compete at the highest level, to compete for championships and be a player on the national scene,” he said. “I welcome and embrace those types of expectations.”

“That passionate and loyal alumni base is not something I have dealt with as a head coach. I will say this: It does not make me nervous, it excites me,” Amplo said. “I’m coming from a place that had a very short-lived alumni experience. I think going into this season we only had 52 lacrosse alums from Marquette. So I welcome having such a huge alumni base.”

“Building a rock-solid program starts with developing a really deep interpersonal relationship with every individual currently in this program and everyone who has worn the Navy jersey previously,” he said. “I believe that is the number one most important thing in the short term, to love all the student-athletes in this program, to love the incoming recruits and make them all understand this is going to be a community-based initiative.”

“It’s not going to be just about lacrosse, it’s going to be about the whole Naval Academy experience,” Amplo added. “As I told all the alums that I have spoken to over the past 24 hours: I want that bandwagon that I watched from afar in the late 1990s and early 2000s, I want to see that bandwagon back again. I want to get everyone on board with moving this program in the right direction.”

“My first phone call was to Coach Danowski to say ‘thanks for everything you have done for me.’ John taught me, most importantly, to be an educator first,” Amplo said.

“John also showed me the power of love in an organization. You have to love your people, care about them as human beings and get to know them on the deepest interpersonal level that you possibly can. If you do that, the Xs and Ox will take care of themselves.”
...such selflessness and leadership presence will be sincerely welcomed and appreciated. As the legendary head coach Eddie Robinson famously said...
"Coaching is a profession of love. You can’t coach people unless you love them."
GO MIDS! "Amp it all up with Coach Amplo!"
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

oldjayfan wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:31 pm
laxxygilmore wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:14 am

Yeah, Sowell's O model never worked, not sure how he ever won any games in his career. Heck, did he even play the game ;)
It's not true that Sowell's O model "never worked". Within that 9.32g/gm SO avg. for 2012-2019, it worked well over those past eight seasons vs. the "Bottom 43" opponents @ 33-8/.805…including 5-1/.833 in 2019 with W’s over #46 Vermont; #54 UMBC; #31 Bucknell; #64 Lafayette and L to #34 Holy Cross and W over #47 Colgate.

But not so well vs. “Top 30” opponents @ 21-48/.304…including 1-6/.143 in 2019 with L’s to #3 Maryland; #23 Princeton; #7 Loyola; #25 Lehigh; #19 Army; #6 Syracuse and a W over #20 Boston in 2019.

Not so well either vs. Maryland + Hopkins + Loyola (aka, “Top 20” teams from 2012-2019) @ 2-18/.100 of the 21-48/.304 overall within vs. Top 30 teams from 2012-2019.

Overall vs. Maryland Games W-L************0-8/.000…including 14-9 L to #3 Maryland in 2019.
(Outscored overall by MD 93-51 or 11.6 to 6.3 avg./gm)

Overall vs. Hopkins Games W-L**************1-5/.166…dropped #16 Hopkins after 2017.
(Outscored overall by Hopkins 63-44 or 10.5 to 7.3 avg./gm)

Overall vs. Loyola Games W-L***************1-5/.166…including 18-5 L to #7 Loyola in 2019.
(Outscored overall by Loyola 84-44, or 14.0 to 7.3 avg./gm)

Nor in the PLT's "RD1 KO's"...
PLT Qualified (6 of 9 teams since 2014)***5 of 8/.625
(DNQ 2012; 2013 & 2019)
PLT Championships Won Overall************0 of 5/.000
PLT Championships Runner-Up**************0 of 5/.000
PLT Games W-L********************************0-5/.000
(Eliminated in RD1 2014; 2015; 2016; 2017; Eliminated 2018 in RD2 after RD1 Bye)
(Eliminated 2X by Army; 2X by Lehigh; 1X by Holy Cross)
(Outscored overall 51-32 or 10.2 to 6.4 avg./gm in PLT play)

And when Navy scored 9 goals or less (54.5% of the 110 games from 2012-2109), the record is 10-50/.166…including 14-9 L vs. #3 Maryland; 18-5 L vs. #7 Loyola; 15-8 L vs. #24 Lehigh; 12-9 upset L vs. #31 Holy Cross; 9-8 L vs. #18 Army and 18-9 L vs. #6 Syracuse in 2019.

So when it mattered most from 2012-2019 vs. "Top 30" teams and the PLT, as best anyone can reasonably deduce from what the record books tell us, along with the media and fan eyeballs that watched those games, it didn't work so well.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Can't think of any "big time" program that hires a first time HC--let me know if I've forgotten someone...
Andy Shay - Yale
Matt Madalon - Princeton
Charlie Toomey - Loyola ( he was HC at NAPS and a MD HS, but no college HC exp.)
Nick Meyers - Ohio State
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Cornell hired Petro who returned the program to competitiveness on the national scene who hired Tambdo I as his asst.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I am not a Navy person and have no affiliation with the program what so ever, other than tremendous respect for any and all who chose to serve.

My question for Navy people; what is the expectation for the program? Win national championships? Make final fours? Win the Patriot League? Contend in the Patriot League and win it once in a while? Play over 500 with a competitive schedule?

I am not being sarcastic in any way, just wondering what Navy people's expectations are?
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:16 am I am not a Navy person and have no affiliation with the program what so ever, other than tremendous respect for any and all who chose to serve.

My question for Navy people; what is the expectation for the program? Win national championships? Make final fours? Win the Patriot League? Contend in the Patriot League and win it once in a while? Play over 500 with a competitive schedule?

I am not being sarcastic in any way, just wondering what Navy people's expectations are?
Below FYI from previous postings in May 2019...
laxxygilmore wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:31 pm
laxxygilmore wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:13 pm
Bravo 3 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:08 am Naptown don’t sweat it , it’s comical ! While at Navy
Richie won 5 tournament championships to RS ‘s 0. took a team to the ncaas multiple times including championship Monday.
Won double digit postseason games to RS’s 1.

And the biggest Indictment to Rick Sowell coaching was that EVERYTIME he made the Patriot tournament , they were beaten by a team they had beaten during the regular season !!! The 2 against Army and the one against Holy Cross were bombs.
EXACTLY
Navy MLax historical context snap-shot since NCAA established in 1971…following the impressive 1928-1970 era of USILA, whereby Navy MLax won 17 USILA Championships (12) or Co-Championships (5) under head coaches Finlayson; Moore and Bilderback.

NCAA Starting in 1971…
YEARS***HEAD COACH***GAMES W-L***W SEASONS***NCAAT APPEARANCES

’71-‘72***Bilderback*******18-8/.692******2 of 2/1.000****2 (1FF / 1QF)
’73-‘82***Szlasa************85-44/.658****10 of 10/1.000**10 (1RU / 5FF / 4QF)
’83-‘94***Matthews********84-61/.579******8 of 12/.666***7 (4QF / 4RD1)
’95-‘11***Meade***********142-97/.594****10 of 17/.588***7 (1RU / 2QF / 4RD1)…PLT Championships @ 5 of 8/.625
’12-‘19***Sowell************54-56/.490*****3 of 8/.375*****1 (QF)…PLT Championships @ 0 of 8/.000

The 1971-2011 era @ 329-210/.610 with W seasons @ 30 of 41/.731 and 26 NCAAT appearances.

IMHO, Navy MLax Mids will recover quickly from the unfortunate results and experience of the 2012-2019 era. IMHO, AD Gladchuk is correct in his view that new head coaching leadership is needed to restore Navy MLax to his long history of success prior to 2012-2019.

laxxygilmore wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:21 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:14 pm I am not a Navy guy but have tremendous respect and gratitude for all who serve. I am just curious, in today's world with 73 D1 teams and large resources committed to these teams, what is a reasonable expectation for a Service Academy Lacrosse program? Is it National Champion/Final Four contender? Is it Patriot League contenders with a league championship every few years? Is it a winning record? I am not being sarcastic or disrespectful to anyone, just curious as to what are the expectations.
Great question. IMHO...over an 8 seasons time frame...

Games W-L Overall @ .680 or >, not 54-56/.490
SOS Rating Avg.@ <20, not +-#32
W Seasons @ .750 or >, not 3 of 8/.375

Games W-L vs. “Top 30” Teams @ .600 or >, not 21-48/.304

Games W-L vs. “Bottom 43” Teams @ >.805, certainly not below 33-8/.805! :)

One Goal Games W-L @ .750 or >, not 12-15/.444

9 Goals Scored or Less by Navy W-L @ .750 or >, not 10-50/.166

Scoring O @ >12.0g/gm avg, not 9.32g/gm avg.
Scoring D @ <8.0ga/gm avg., not >9.38ga/gm avg.
Scoring O – Scoring D Difference @ 4.0g/gm avg., not -0.06g/gm avg.

PLT Qualified @ .875 or >, not 5 of 8/.625
PLT Championships @ .750 or >, not 0 of 8/.000 overall or 0 of 5 when in the PLT
PLT Championships Runner-Up @ only when losing the final 1x or 2x in 8 years, not 0 of 5/.000
PLT Games W-L @ .750 or >, not 0-5/.000 when actually making the PLT to begin with.
And not being outscored overall 51-32 or 10.2 to 6.4 avg./gm in PLT play.

NCAAT Qualified @ .750 or >, not 1 of 8/.125
NCAAT Games W-L @ .600 or >, not 1-1/.500

Overall Post Season Tourney Games W-L @ .600 or >, not 1-6/.143

Overall vs. Army Games W-L @ .875 or >, not 4-6/.400
(Not being outscored overall by Army 97-78 or 9.7 to 7.8 avg./gm)

PLT Army Games W-L @ 1.000, not 0-2/.000
(Not being outscored overall in PLT by Army 20-10 or 10.0 to 5.0 avg./gm)…w/ L’s to Army in PLT when it matters most.

Overall vs. Maryland Games W-L @ .600 or >, not 0-8/.000
(Not being outscored overall by MD 93-51 or 11.6 to 6.3 avg./gm)

Overall vs. Hopkins Games W-L @ .600 or >, not 1-5/.166…assuming their back after dropping Hopkins after 2017.
(Not being outscored overall by Hopkins 63-44 or 10.5 to 7.3 avg./gm)

Overall vs. Loyola Games W-L @ >.600, not 1-5/.166
(Not being outscored overall by Loyola 84-44, or 14.0 to 7.3 avg./gm)
Record alone vs. Maryland + Hopkins + Loyola (aka, “Top 20” teams) totals @ .600 or >, and not @ 2-18/.100 of the 20-46/.303 overall within vs. Top 30 teams from 2012-2019.
Interesting times indeed for Navy Lacrosse. So who really are the best candidates to lead, develop and deliver sustainable success with the Mids consistent with the many, many years prior to the past eight seasons of 2012-2019? Well, based on the 2019 NCAAT results to date @ an average score of 16.6 to 12.2 for the first 12 games (RD1 @ 16.6 to 11.2 and RD2 @ 16.7 to 14.2...and consistent with many NCAAT's of the past decade plus), I guess it needs to be someone who can consistently spool up an O @ >14g/gm and D @ <10ga/gm to consistently compete well through each regular season / post season and into the NCAAT with an O-D @ >+4g/gm avg.
...great to have Coach Amplo leading the MLax Mids in th years ahead.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Still not sure what the expectations are?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”