Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Exlaxbro

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by Exlaxbro »

Wow, I didn’t realize Wyers didn’t play. Who was playing close? Houlihan is out right? Tough if Wyers isn’t playing Tuesday.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:15 pm Wow, I didn’t realize Wyers didn’t play. Who was playing close? Houlihan is out right? Tough if Wyers isn’t playing Tuesday.
Yes, Wyers and Staudt did not play. Fairey played close, and Whitaker started in cage. Watkinson played the final ~9 minutes in goal.

In my view, it was a similar performance to our showings against Army and BU. Minicus and Poitras played very well. Lindsey and James also had a good showing. Lindsey isolated on a shortie behind the cage and made a really nice roll inside to score early. Not as bad as the G'town game, but there were times when Lehigh's offense was just dissecting our defense, and it looked like we had no answer.

One frustrating aspect for me was that we clearly had a game plan to pressure Sisselberger after he won a draw, and we executed it well. Sisselberger had 4 turnovers, but frequently we ended up throwing it away ourselves after causing the turnover. We spread the faceoffs pretty evenly among Pacheco, Cattone, and Allen, with Allen having the most success. Turnovers were 19-15 in favor of the Hounds, but it didn't feel that way, especially since we were 12-17 clearing the ball. Some of those were big opportunities following a save, and we just couldn't execute the fundamentals to capitalize on a precious possession.

I give props to our man-down defense for holding a good Lehigh EMO unit to 0-3.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Piggybacking off of what Greyinghound was saying- they showed flashes of where they were playing well against Lehigh, like they’ve showed portions against Duke, Georgetown army and BU. It’s just that the little spurts of good things that they do gets immediately reversed because of a turnover or a poor shot or a mistake, and that gets punished.

Tuesday has to be a yeomen effort among the entire team in nearly every facet of the game. A mistake happens? Pick up the guy who did it and make sure he’s okay. Support eachother, play for eachother. If a mistake happens, don’t compound it

The team has at least 3 days together after tonight. It’s their chance to extend this time together as long as they can. The hounds CAN do this
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

All things considered then, the score really isn’t as bad as it seems. Not having your four year starting close defender and starting goalie is going to be a problem regardless of how good the backups are. I hope they are a full squad by Tuesday. Navy has improved throughout the spring but they are very beatable.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Not sure what is going on here. What looked like a great season is turning to crap. It’s regression all over the place. Haberman has 13 goals yet doesn’t play till last few minutes. His game has regressed terribly. Same with Murphy. Higgins is the biggest issue. He has disappeared most games. Man up is a joke. James scored early and then missed his next 7 shots. Kamish did nothing. But for Poitras and Minicus (and occasionally Lindsay) this offense is brutal. I know Toomey doesn’t care about ⭐️ but where is Cote, McCullough and West? Give them a chance.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Formerhound wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:08 am Not sure what is going on here. What looked like a great season is turning to crap. It’s regression all over the place. Haberman has 13 goals yet doesn’t play till last few minutes. His game has regressed terribly. Same with Murphy. Higgins is the biggest issue. He has disappeared most games. Man up is a joke. James scored early and then missed his next 7 shots. Kamish did nothing. But for Poitras and Minicus (and occasionally Lindsay) this offense is brutal. I know Toomey doesn’t care about ⭐️ but where is Cote, McCullough and West? Give them a chance.
Formerhound, as you know, all offensive decisions go through Van Arsdale. Toomey is hands off. The regression and the decision on who to play rests in Van Arsdale hands. If you have talked with players parents or you may even talked with players, at any of the recent games, they are upset at the lack of development and and offensive adjustments that were/are needed for this team to be successful. Man up is a great example... Do the same thing and get the same result. You actually to coach when you do not have players like Spencer, Lindley, Olmstead, Swindell etc. Maybe Toomey needs to get more involved in the offense, not sure these players are motivated to play for Van Arsdale.

Yes VanArsdale is a good coach and has had a lot of success, but maybe he is not the right fit for Loyola and the players that they currently have.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:20 am
Formerhound wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:08 am Not sure what is going on here. What looked like a great season is turning to crap. It’s regression all over the place. Haberman has 13 goals yet doesn’t play till last few minutes. His game has regressed terribly. Same with Murphy. Higgins is the biggest issue. He has disappeared most games. Man up is a joke. James scored early and then missed his next 7 shots. Kamish did nothing. But for Poitras and Minicus (and occasionally Lindsay) this offense is brutal. I know Toomey doesn’t care about ⭐️ but where is Cote, McCullough and West? Give them a chance.
Formerhound, as you know, all offensive decisions go through Van Arsdale. Toomey is hands off. The regression and the decision on who to play rests in Van Arsdale hands. If you have talked with players parents or you may even talked with players, at any of the recent games, they are upset at the lack of development and and offensive adjustments that were/are needed for this team to be successful. Man up is a great example... Do the same thing and get the same result. You actually to coach when you do not have players like Spencer, Lindley, Olmstead, Swindell etc. Maybe Toomey needs to get more involved in the offense, not sure these players are motivated to play for Van Arsdale.

Yes VanArsdale is a good coach and has had a lot of success, but maybe he is not the right fit for Loyola and the players that they currently have.
Solid post. Sometimes, you just do not have the right recipe, and it just takes a ton of time (which is never on your side) to get that recipe dialed in, it happens all the time, at every school. Sure, no Spencer, LIndley, Dennis, Olmstead, etc, but that is when the defense, FO, goaltending has to balance and support each other...its not all on the offense, the defense is is also allowing quite a bit of points.

I'd argue that MVA was the reason that Dennis became the player he did.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Before tonight’s game just wanted to give a shout out to the seniors and the grad students on possibly their last playoff tournament run.

They’ve all done so much on and off the field. College sports is extremely tough and they’ve managed to do well while balancing loyola academics with its core curriculum, as well as navigating a global pandemic.

Ridley will always be their home no matter where they go in life. I hope that no matter what happens tonight or whatever occurs in this playoff tourney, that they still hold their heads high for what they’ve done over the last 4-5 years.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

houndace1 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:36 am Before tonight’s game just wanted to give a shout out to the seniors and the grad students on possibly their last playoff tournament run.

They’ve all done so much on and off the field. College sports is extremely tough and they’ve managed to do well while balancing loyola academics with its core curriculum, as well as navigating a global pandemic.

Ridley will always be their home no matter where they go in life. I hope that no matter what happens tonight or whatever occurs in this playoff tourney, that they still hold their heads high for what they’ve done over the last 4-5 years.
+1
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

houndace1 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:36 am Before tonight’s game just wanted to give a shout out to the seniors and the grad students on possibly their last playoff tournament run.

Absolutely correct Houndace! Nice sentiments. Hounds Today. Hounds Tomorrow. Hounds Forever!!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

I agree, it will be interesting to see where players end up. The one thing I can say is that Toomey prepares you for success after lacrosse.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

NovaHound wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:16 am

Absolutely correct Houndace! Nice sentiments. Hounds Today. Hounds Tomorrow. Hounds Forever!!
Well said!

LET'S GO HOUNDS!

Would love to see a redemption tour begin tonight, but proud to be a Hounds fan either way.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Loyola @ Navy at 7 PM EST. Should be good. Live Stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=465266
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

A bit more lineup shuffling. James and Poitras on attack with Minicus. Heuston, Higgins, and Lindsey on 1st midfield.

Wyers and Staudt are back.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Where is Evan James in that lineup?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

houndace1 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:59 pm Where is Evan James in that lineup?
Attack.

See above. :D
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Big big goals at the end of Q1!

4-1 hounds so far. Transition guys came to play
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Has Loyola's goalie made some fine saves?
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:25 pm Big big goals at the end of Q1!

4-1 hounds so far. Transition guys came to play
Where has this team been all season?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Hounds only like playing tournament ball,

the regular season …

… boring !

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”