https://www.localdvm.com/sports/marylan ... inst-penn/

Diamondback article on defenseman John Geppert:
https://dbknews.com/2020/02/13/maryland ... -richmond/
Live Free or Die!
AreaLax

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by AreaLax »

JACK BRENNAN FINDS SOLACE IN MARYLAND LACROSSE FAMILY
More recently Joe Walters, went from Irondequoit to stardom. Walters plays for Redwoods LC in the Premier Lacrosse League. Before that, he excelled in Major League Lacrosse and the National Lacrosse League. He represented the USA on indoor and outdoor teams at the world championships, and of course, he lit up the scoreboard at Maryland while earning All-America honors all four years.

Brennan first met the Irondequoit legend as a fifth-grader at a camp, but that wasn’t the last time they met.

“I really started working with him towards the end of eighth grade into ninth at the facility he had in downtown Rochester,” Brennan said. “I worked with him throughout high school, working on different parts of my game. Joe was a big helper in drawing me here. It’s cool to follow him, in a way, and keep the Irondequoit-to-Maryland pipeline going.”
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

They put out the first watch list for the Tewaaraton Awards
Bernhardt, Fairman and Wisnauskas were named
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Defense is just really poorly coached. Every goal seems to be a slide for no reason, a player turning his head away ball watching, and a wide open Penn player. Been an issue for 3 years now and just never seems to really get fixed.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Terps win 17-15. Terps dominated the 4th quarter.
Live Free or Die!
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Great things:
1) Maltz has a great stick and instinct
2) Shockey never gave up
3) Unbelievable resilience and patience
4) Long is back
5) Brandau never gave up, and got really good at the end
6) Tillman never gave up on Shockey or Brandau
7) Defense changed 100% from midway 3rd quarter on
8) When opponents talk trash, the beast awakens

Things for improvement:
1) Everything before mid-3rd quarter
2) Defense in general
3) Face-offs
4) 50/50 ground balls until the 4th quarter
5) Defensive players carrying and losing the ball
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:30 pm Things for improvement:
1) Everything before mid-3rd quarter
Maybe not Bernhardt's goals in the 1st half. Those were nice.
Live Free or Die!
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Bernhardt's goals were great. The concern at the time, and it's all relative I know, was that Penn's goals were coming from great ball movement and then wide open shots and Jake's goals were only because of his individual greatness. That all changed in the 2nd half though.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Wow. Another terrific comeback for the Terps, and fantastic job in holding Penn scoreless for the final 23 minutes. Huge day for Chris Brandau.

"What if" moment of the game: 4 minutes in the 3rd quarter, Penn up 15-9 with the ball and the EMO, hits the crossbar. Big rebound to midfield. Terps push it in transition, Penn goalie makes the ill-advised decision to come far out of the cage to contest a ground ball and Wisnauskas scores on an empty net. Terps now down by 5 instead of 7 with the huge morale boost of scoring a shortie. They never looked back. Given that Penn never scored again I suppose you could argue it wasn't that much of a turning point, but it sure felt like one.

Great lacrosse game. Tons of talent on both teams.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Guys pulled out.

Nice to see Long back in the lineup. Interesting they put him at attack replacing Maltz. But Maltz made the most on the man-up.

Quick turn around with a travel game to play Villanova. Looks like the game will be streamed.
https://villanova.com/watch/?Live=163&type=Live
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

This is what the win probability chart looks like for the Terps. Wasn't looking good at the end of the third. But wow...

MDWinProb20200215.jpg
MDWinProb20200215.jpg (27.74 KiB) Viewed 2889 times
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

On another board, I made a comment about Penn's depth heading into halftime. At that point, they had only played 3 additional players outside of their starting 10. Basically, they'd run their entire 1st line of midfield the entire first half. And let's just say: that first line of midfield is really, really good. It's hard to overstate just how big Handley is, as is Bartolo. They can move, too. Lulley bulldozed his way through Maryland's close defense.

But they ran out of gas. BJ Farrare had a leg cramp. Handley was MIA the entire 4th quarter. Gallagher was under 50% after the 1st quarter.

Guys like Quint love to talk about Maryland's lack of scoring depth, but it was Maryland's overall depth - scoring and otherwise - that just wore Penn down. Penn is going to get their legs under them, but they need something other than that starting 6 on offense, even as damn good as it is. I, mean, they just punished every single mistake that Maryland made.

I think Penn is going to win the Ivy again, but I think their lack of depth will hurt them come tournament time. Sam Handley...wow. What a player, though.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Maryland 8-14 shooting in the 2nd half.

It did seem that "not having played" was actually a plus for Penn in the first half of the game. Penn looked fresher, and UMd didn't play them well defensively. Except for Bernhardt, UMd didn't do particularly well offensively in the first half.
Live Free or Die!
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:56 pm Wow. Another terrific comeback for the Terps, and fantastic job in holding Penn scoreless for the final 23 minutes. Huge day for Chris Brandau.

"What if" moment of the game: 4 minutes in the 3rd quarter, Penn up 15-9 with the ball and the EMO, hits the crossbar. Big rebound to midfield. Terps push it in transition, Penn goalie makes the ill-advised decision to come far out of the cage to contest a ground ball and Wisnauskas scores on an empty net. Terps now down by 5 instead of 7 with the huge morale boost of scoring a shortie. They never looked back. Given that Penn never scored again I suppose you could argue it wasn't that much of a turning point, but it sure felt like one.

Great lacrosse game. Tons of talent on both teams.
Yeah normally I'd say that's a big moment, but Maryland had wide open shots that hit him square in the chest or just off post too. Penn is a really good team, and honestly they blew it. But it won't matter because both teams should be playing in May.

The 2 man down moment was huge, but so was MD down 11-9 near the end of the 1st and they blow it for Penn to score with no time left. Goes both ways. Great game, but wow 8 goals in a row is pretty devastating.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Well I criticized the defense early, so I should give them their props - 0 goals the last 22 minutes or so. Overall 29% defensive efficiency for the game, not great but also not terrible considering how good Penn is on offense. So much better communicating and timing slides. Penn's a machine when working at full tilt

The offense is just incredible. There won't be a better one in the country for the whole year, several at the same level but no one clearly better. There's just too many darn options. Fairman had 1 goal and they scored freaking 17. They have 7 guys who can put the ball in the back of the net or beat their man. Just too many good players who all play so well together for a defense to stop. Maltz was reminiscent of Dubick or Jay Carlson and even a bit of his brother too, just hounded the net and found space to finish over and over. Long is so poised on the ball and has good shake. Brennan had another 2 points. And then the other guys did their thing.

Brandau and Shockey deserve lots of credit; Brandau kept them in it and Shockey wore Gallagher down and allowed them to turn it around in the 4th. Lot to work on, but they're winning and you saw the potential of this team that last 20 minutes, they were tremendous.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Maryland really tried everything it could in the first half to slow Penn down. They started sending backside slides really early to try and disrupt or turnover Penn. That's not something you see Tills dial up very often. They tried to quasi-shut Handley off. They'd send Puglise or Smith out to the substitution box to pick up Handley when he came on the field. They didn't want him starting any runs from that far out. Again, not something you see Tills dial up very often. They slid quickly to Handley every time he had the ball. At one point in the 4th quarter, I swear I thought I saw the Terps jump into a zone. Of course, it helped that Shockey was +50% in the second half. Give that defense a rest and wear down the opponent.
Cno3putts

Post by Cno3putts »

I can see that a number of fans here must drink Tillman's kool-aid

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”