Conservative Ideology 2024: NOTHING BUT LIES AND FEARMONGERING

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
CU88

Re: Conservative Ideology

Post by CU88 »

Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦
@RonFilipkowski

Madison Cawthorn has just made it an entire 24 hours without any new sex tapes, drag queen photos, speeding tickets, license suspensions, airport gun incidents, school board knife incidents, ethics complaints, or lawsuits.

6:35 PM · May 5, 2022·Twitter for iPhone
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:25 am
All the best people!
You don’t understand. She was a liberal.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

All the best people!

Voters must REALLY despise Democratic policies if they prefer candidates accused of murder rather than a Democrat.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:50 am
All the best people!

Voters must REALLY despise Democratic policies if they prefer candidates accused of murder rather than a Democrat.
No Democrats ran...he was chosen by Republicans in the Republican primary.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:38 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:50 am Voters must REALLY despise Democratic policies if they prefer candidates accused of murder rather than a Democrat.
No Democrats ran...he was chosen by Republicans in the Republican primary.
Yup, and all three Republicans would have won by default since they choose 3 people the board, but the fact that he still got 20% of the vote tells you a great deal.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The Sarasota Story. A good read.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:59 am The Sarasota Story. A good read.

:lol: :lol:

Our media is so irretrievably broken.

Christian and Bridget Ziegler are friends. You couldn’t find two nicer, more patriotic Americans if you had seven lifetimes.

Jane Goodwin is a bitter Hillary harpy, way out of place in conservative Sarasota. She should move to Rhode Island with all the other bitter democrats.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

“…way out of place.” Nice, telling.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Just a bunch of Karen's. Although I believe Bongino is heavily invested in Rumble; interesting.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:15 pm
Just a bunch of Karen's. Although I believe Bongino is heavily invested in Rumble; interesting.
:lol: :lol: God Bless America!
“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

The GOP:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... g-ballots/

"On Oct. 17, 2020, influential GOP donor Steven F. Hotze made an urgent request during a phone call with a top federal prosecutor in Texas, according to a court filing Friday by the Houston district attorney’s office.

Hotze claimed that private investigators funded by his nonprofit group had been trailing a mysterious white van as it shuttled phony ballots around the city in an effort to rig the upcoming election. He asked if federal authorities would help stop the van and apprehend its driver, but he added that one of his hard-nosed investigators was prepared to do the job himself, according to the filing by prosecutors in Harris County that included a transcript of the exchange.

“In fact, he told me last night, ‘hell … the guy’s gonna have a wreck tomorrow night. I’m going to run into him and I’m gonna make a citizen’s arrest,” Hotze told the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Texas, Ryan Patrick, a Trump appointee, who recorded the conversation.

Two days after the call, the private investigator Hotze had named ran a white van driven by an air-conditioning repairman off the road in Houston and held the driver at gunpoint during a futile search for forged ballots, county prosecutors allege.

Police have said the man was innocent. His truck contained repair parts.

The filing Friday illuminates one of the most extreme tactics that far-right groups have employed in an effort to substantiate former president Donald Trump’s unproven allegations of widespread voting fraud in the election he lost. Groups have tried to gain access to sensitive election equipment, pushed for audits of the 2020 election by handpicked outside groups and recruited volunteers to scrutinize local election officials, sometimes leading to threats of violence.

The disclosure of the call transcript came in an ongoing criminal case brought by the district attorney’s office that charges Hotze and the private investigator with assault with a deadly weapon and unlawful restraint in the alleged ramming. Prosecutors disclosed the transcript in a filing notifying the court that they intend to use it as evidence against Hotze.

The filing marks the first time prosecutors have publicly revealed evidence to support the charges against Hotze, who was not at the crash scene. His nonprofit Liberty Center for God and Country paid $261,000 for the election fraud probe, a Houston police report stated.

The recorded conversation also appears to contradict statements Hotze made earlier this year during a sworn deposition separately obtained by The Washington Post. The deposition was taken in a lawsuit filed by the air-conditioning repairman, David Lopez-Zuniga, against Hotze and the nonprofit. In the deposition, Hotze insisted that he had no knowledge of the surveillance or investigation of Lopez-Zuniga.

“I did not know about any investigation about David Lopez at all,” Hotze said during questioning that occurred months before his April 20 criminal indictment. He also said in his deposition that he had not talked to any law enforcement official about the investigation.

During his Jan. 4 deposition, Steven F. Hotze said he had not talked to any law enforcement officials about his probe. Hotze's statement was in response to a lawyer asking him whether he had spoken with a particular state police agency about the probe. (Obtained by The Washington Post)
In the run-up to the 2020 presidential election, Hotze received regular briefings about the private investigation from a former Houston police officer hired to run the probe, he said in his deposition. During weekly calls, he said, the ex-cop, Mark Aguirre, detailed his pursuit of a sensational theory: Democrats were using undocumented Hispanic children to forge signatures on hundreds of thousands of phony ballots to rig the election in Harris County, home to Houston.

“From what he told me, it appeared he was hot on a trail,” Hotze said in the deposition.

Hotze and Aguirre have not yet been arraigned or entered a plea to the charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and unlawful restraint, but Hotze has said publicly that he is not guilty.

Jared Woodfill, an attorney for Hotze, said the statements in the deposition were not at odds with the remarks in the call transcript. He declined to elaborate.

The transcript of Hotze’s private phone conversation is notable not only for its content but also because authorities said the call was recorded by the former U.S. attorney. Patrick is a son of Texas’s Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, who has received nearly $100,000 in political campaign donations from Hotze since 2005, state campaign records show.

The younger Patrick, who resigned in February 2021 after President Biden took office and now works at a law firm, declined to comment Friday about the transcript of the phone call.

Hotze has pledged more investigations. In early April he hosted a sold-out fundraiser to help bankroll them through his nonprofit. The keynote speaker at the event was My Pillow chief executive Mike Lindell, a prominent promoter of baseless claims — rejected by court after court — that Trump lost in a rigged election.

Hotze, 71, who runs a natural-health and hormone replacement clinic, has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to conservative candidates in Texas. He has filed lawsuits, with mixed results, seeking to limit mail-in voting in the state and to dismiss ballots submitted via drive-through voting sites in the 2020 presidential election.

Woodfill said the recording did not capture the complete conversation between Hotze and Patrick. “The Ryan Patrick tape further demonstrates that the indictment of Dr. Hotze was politically motivated and that Dr. Hotze is innocent of any criminal or civil wrongdoing.”

Aguirre, a 65-year-old former Houston police captain, was charged in December 2020 and on April 20 was indicted by a grand jury, a required step in a felony case in Texas. An attorney for Aguirre declined to comment. “I’m not trying my case in the paper,” Aguirre, who was released on $30,000 bail, told The Post in a brief phone interview on Dec. 16, 2020. “I don’t care about public opinion. I’m trying my case against these corrupt sons of [expletives].”

In a statement to The Post, District Attorney Kim Ogg, a Democrat who was first elected in 2016, called the voter fraud operation a “misguided fantasy.”

“The defendants were charged as part of a bizarre scheme that crossed the line from dirty politics to violent crime and we are lucky no one was killed,” she said Friday. “The entire plan was backward from the start, alleging massive voter fraud occurred and then trying to prove it happened.”

Friday’s filing did not specify how or when authorities had obtained a record of the 2020 phone call, and the district attorney’s office declined to answer detailed questions about the transcript. The filing stated that it was an “informal transcript” that would be followed by a certified version.

The 2020 election

In September 2020, as Trump was floating claims that the presidential election would be rigged, Aguirre and a team of other investigators set out to find voter fraud in Harris County, with funding from Hotze’s nonprofit, court records show.

By mid-October the investigators had set their sights on Lopez-Zuniga, setting up a command post at a hotel near his mobile home and tracking his movements for four days before the alleged assault, police have said.

During his call with the U.S. attorney, Hotze offered an explanation for why private investigators were tracking the white van, according to the transcript. “We’ve surveilled them for the last two nights,” he said, according to the transcript.

Investigators had spotted the van outside the apartment complex of a Harris County Democratic political operative they were surveilling, he said. They followed the van to a mobile home park where boxes were moved between the truck and a building behind it, Hotze said. Later, the same truck stopped at a post office, he said, suggesting that ballots were being dropped in the mail.

“They literally have boxes with thousands of votes in it, and they’re just taking these down and voting them,” he added. “I mean, this is the way these guys operate, Ryan. The criminal ring is so incredible.”

During the call, Hotze repeatedly referred to the truck’s owner by the last name of “Perez.” The district attorney’s office declined to answer a question Friday about who that was.

Hotze asked Patrick if he could dispatch a “federal marshal” to help Aguirre “capture” the purported phony ballots, according to the transcript. “Can you help out at all?” Hotze asked.

Patrick demurred, saying that he had no control over federal marshals and that his office would need to establish probable cause — and possibly get approval from Justice Department prosecutors in Washington — to take such a step. It is not clear from the filing whether any action was taken.

During the call, Hotze expressed confidence that Aguirre, whom he named, would crack the case without help from law enforcement, according to the transcript. Aguirre, he said, had “enough balls that he would just, that he would go in and make a citizen’s arrest.” He added that Aguirre would probably extract a confession from the driver of the truck “in five minutes,” in part by threatening to get him and his family deported, the transcript shows.

“He’s like a bull dog,” he said of Aguirre. Hotze cited Aguirre’s experience as a captain with the Houston police, claiming he had taken down drug cartels. “The only difference is instead of dealing with drugs they are dealing with ballots.”

Aguirre left the Houston Police Department in 2003, according to news reports, after he ordered the mass arrest of nearly 300 people in the parking lot of a retail store, some of them families on shopping trips, as part of a crackdown on drag racing. The roundup led to multiple lawsuits against the city, and the city paid at least $840,000 to settle some of the cases, according to reports.

Aguirre also was charged criminally with official oppression, a state statute that covers abuses of power by public officials. A jury acquitted him, and after that Aguirre appealed his firing and was allowed to resign before he launched his career as a licensed private investigator, his attorney has told The Post.

Police have said that on Oct. 16, the day before Hotze’s call to the federal prosecutor, Aguirre contacted a lieutenant in the Texas attorney general’s office and unsuccessfully tried to persuade him to “conduct a traffic stop” of a voter fraud suspect. When the lieutenant declined, Aguirre allegedly responded that he “would conduct the traffic stop himself and make a citizen’s arrest,” according to a police report.

On Oct. 19, 2020, Aguirre rammed Lopez-Zuniga’s cargo truck and detained him during his commute to work, according to a police report and prosecutors.

When police responded to the scene, Aguirre told them that Lopez-Zuniga was part of a massive voter fraud scheme involving 750,000 mail-in ballots and that he was transporting ballots forged by undocumented Hispanic children whose fingerprints couldn’t be traced, police stated.

Aguirre directed them to Lopez-Zuniga’s mobile home and a shed behind it where he claimed the forged ballots were being stored.

Inside the mobile home, police found only “a family conducting ordinary business,” according to a Houston police detective who also gave a deposition in the lawsuit against Hotze and his nonprofit.

“There was kids in the trailer,” said John Varela, the detective. “And one child was on Zoom, you know, going to school. And I think a young lady was in there cooking. And they were just an ordinary family.”

The shed, Varela said, contained air conditioning equipment.

“He [Aguirre] gave me a couple of people’s names to look into. He gave me some other pieces of evidence that I — that I looked into regarding the voter fraud, but I wasn’t able to corroborate anything that he said,” Varela said.

Aguirre was deposed in Lopez-Zuniga’s lawsuit, but by then he already had been arrested and invoked his Fifth Amendment protection against incriminating himself.

During his deposition on Jan. 4, Hotze said he didn’t know anything about the investigation into Lopez-Zuniga.

Hotze gave the same two-word response when an attorney asked him if knew what led Aguirre to suspect Lopez-Zuniga and whether he knew about the surveillance of Lopez-Zuniga: “No sir,” he said, according to a transcript.

Hotze said he had no written communications about Lopez-Zuniga and wasn’t aware of him until news reports of the incident on the road.

“Never heard of Lopez before,” he said when asked if he had any documents that mentioned Lopez-Zuniga.

When Lopez-Zuniga’s attorney, Dicky Grigg, asked if Aguirre had ever mentioned Lopez-Zuniga, Hotze responded: “Never did.”

Hotze acknowledged during the deposition that Aguirre was mistaken about Lopez-Zuniga. “Whatever Officer Aguirre thought he was going to find, didn’t find anything,” Hotze said. “He had a dry run. Let’s put it that way. … Whatever his assessment was, apparently was incorrect.”

Lopez-Zuniga’s attorney also asked Hotze if he wanted to apologize to his client. “Let Mr. Aguirre apologize,” he answered. “I have no responsibility.”

Hotze’s nonprofit paid Aguirre $211,000 on the day after the alleged assault, according to a police report, which said the group had previously made $25,000 payments on Sept. 22 and Oct. 9.

Hotze has continued to raise money to hunt for election fraud.

“A criminal element in our society has developed a well-organized vote fraud scheme that they are using to turn Texas blue,” a page on the website for Hotze’s health clinic stated while advertising the April fundraiser, called the Freedom Gala. The website urged donations ranging from $50 to $20,000 per person to the Liberty Center to continue to “hire private detectives to investigate, identify, and expose the criminal vote fraud scheme in Harris County and across Texas.”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Shouldn’t that be like, kidnapping and attempted murder? Crashing into and running a vehicle off the road intentionally could easily lead to death.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Is Rick Santorum considered a Rino by the fire breathing knuckle dragged CVille/proud boy MaGA wing?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:47 pm

Christian and Bridget Ziegler are friends. You couldn’t find two nicer, more patriotic Americans if you had seven lifetimes.

Jane Goodwin is a bitter Hillary harpy, way out of place in conservative Sarasota. She should move to Rhode Island with all the other bitter democrats.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Why am I not surprised they are your friends. The Zieglers sound like they play fast and loose with the facts as well.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:44 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:47 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Why am I not surprised they are your friends. The Zieglers sound like they play fast and loose with the facts as well.

A lot of the of the grievance politics and affinity-group-centric left these days is dedicated to identifying who is and is not allowed an opinion about a certain issue, who is supposed to “sit down” and who is supposed to “listen.”

EC
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Oh, so this is the Right Wing Projection thread. JFC.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Pretty interesting article on North Carolina's deep state GOP functionaries trying to put an end to the comical and stupid Cawthorn era:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... n-primary/

"Last November, Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.) texted his state’s junior senator, Thom Tillis, about a tweet from the senator’s wife. Cawthorn had just announced that he was planning to switch districts, and Susan Tillis took to Twitter to criticize the move.

“Why is your wife attacking me on Twitter?” the House freshman demanded in his text exchange obtained by The Washington Post.

The senator replied that he hadn’t seen his wife’s tweet, but suggested Cawthorn didn’t need to look far for a possible reason.

“Just spit ballin here,” Tillis wrote, “but maybe because you’ve attacked her husband?”

“I don’t feel like I’ve attacked you that much,” Cawthorn replied. “I think I’ve said I don’t think your conservative enough, did not realize that made us enemies.”

In fact, Tillis isn’t the only powerful enemy Cawthorn has made in his own party. The 26-year-old congressman has, in his few years in politics, sparked public outrage with his support for former president Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election, inflammatory speeches, repeated driving and gun infractions, and even a nude video. But his falling-out with top Republicans in North Carolina and Washington also arose from more humdrum blunders such as neglecting constituent services and insulting party elders, according to GOP officials and operatives in the state.

Now, those Republican enemies are openly lining up to take him down.

Tillis and many of North Carolina’s top Republicans, including the state’s House speaker and Senate leader, are backing a challenger, state Sen. Chuck Edwards, in next Tuesday’s primary. Tillis has personally raised money for the effort. An allied super PAC is bombarding the district with TV ads and mail pieces highlighting Cawthorn’s string of scandals and indiscretions — a list that gets longer with almost each passing day.

“Madison decided to throw elbows at these people,” said Carlton Huffman, a Republican operative from North Carolina who’s supporting Edwards. “He believes that there are new rules of politics in the Trump era and you don’t have to kiss anybody’s ring in the established party.”

For Tillis — who doesn’t face voters again until 2026 after winning reelection as a firm supporter of Trump — the turn against Cawthorn is driven by frustration with the freshman’s antics, disappointment with his scant legislative record and an element of personal payback, according to Republican officials and operatives in North Carolina.

“There is a ton of bad blood. For Tillis, this is personal,” said Michele Woodhouse, one of seven primary challengers for Cawthorn’s seat.

Tillis declined to comment for this story through a spokesman. Susan Tillis did not respond to requests for comment.

Cawthorn has cast the campaign to oust him as attacks from “the swamp” of establishment party figures angered at his commitment to Trump.

“The Establishment in Washington and North Carolina has fought against my reelection to Congress in a way I’ve never seen before. The people of Western North Carolina see through it. Our campaign is on track to win a great victory next week, no matter what comes our way,” Cawthorn said in a statement to The Post. In defense of his constituent services, Cawthorn’s spokesman, Luke Ball, said the congressman began accepting cases the day after he was sworn in and has resolved more than 1,800 to date.

The opposition from Tillis and other GOP leaders seeks to bring a sudden end to the meteoric rise of a political newcomer who surged to celebrity status in Trump’s Make America Great Again movement. The race is shaping up to be a contest between MAGA star power and old-fashioned political pull — a test of how far a candidate (besides Trump himself) can go in juicing online outrage for campaign cash and bucking the party establishment.

“There are so many people saying crazy things these days and people shrug their shoulders, but it was more of the personal behavior that people started to view him as immature and erratic,” said Jim Blaine, of the firm, Differentiators, who says his group’s polling for the national Republican group GOPAC shows Cawthorn dipping in popularity and Edwards rising since March. “He would be a modern-day Icarus, except he flew into the sun.”

Even Trump, who endorsed Cawthorn during a visit to Mar-a-Lago in March 2021, may be distancing himself from the embattled freshman. At an April rally in Selma, N.C., Trump touted his endorsement of Ted Budd for Senate and Bo Hines in another House race, but of Cawthorn said only, “He’s a great guy.”

Cawthorn said Trump is “my friend and the leader of our party” and disputed “anonymous sources and nameless accusations.”

“No matter whether he wins or not, he’s severely damaged,” said Isaac Herrin, a Republican field organizer in the district. “The knives have come out because he has not been a friend to the people of his district who helped put him in office, and he has not been a friend of some of the people in North Carolina who hold political power.”

Cawthorn and Tillis didn’t have a strong relationship to start with, but the tension between them took off at a Republican Party meeting in Macon County, N.C., in August. Addressing a crowd on the front porch of the county GOP headquarters, and brandishing a three-foot-long 12-gauge shotgun, Cawthorn called Tillis “a terrible campaigner” and “a complete RINO” (a shorthand pejorative meaning “Republican in Name Only”).

Elsewhere in the speech, Cawthorn warned of further “bloodshed” in response to elections that he baselessly suggested were “rigged” or stolen.” Those comments drew condemnation from congressional Democrats. But those were not the remarks that gave Republicans pause. Rather, it was his insults of Tillis that roiled North Carolina Republican politics.

Tillis’s allies, including Susan Tillis, started contacting people at the speech, furious that Cawthorn was using a party function to attack a senator from his own party, according to Woodhouse. (A Tillis spokesman denies that Susan Tillis directly called anyone.) “My phone was blowing up,” said Woodhouse, who was then the party chair for the congressional district.

A few months after the speech, Cawthorn made another powerful enemy when he said he’d switch districts. Cawthorn announced his bid with a statement some felt insulted the presumed front-runner, state House Speaker Tim Moore, and the district’s voters at the same time: “I am afraid that another establishment go-along-to-get-along Republican would prevail there,” Cawthorn said. “I will not let that happen.”

The new district’s constituents included the Tillises, and Susan Tillis responded on Twitter that the voters there “didn’t need any intervention and we are capable of making our own decisions.”

Moore passed on running for the seat rather than take on Cawthorn. Moore’s spokeswoman said he was unavailable to comment for this story.

Cawthorn further piqued state party leaders in December when he visited Mar-a-Lago touting a mock-up of “Congressman Cawthorn’s plan for North Carolina,” showing his picks for all the state’s congressional districts, including himself for the new district, Woodhouse for his old one, and Hines for another.

But Cawthorn returned to his original district when the state Supreme Court struck down the new congressional map. Tillis, Moore and state Senate leader Phil Berger endorsed Edwards, whose campaign has dropped more than $300,000 on ads ridiculing Cawthorn’s Instagram posts and comparing him to the Kardashians, according to media tracking company AdImpact.

Even more air support — at least $630,000 — has come from a super PAC called Results for NC that previously backed Tillis and the state’s other senator, Richard Burr. The PAC’s mailers, text messages and TV, radio and online ads savage Cawthorn for defending Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and getting caught in lies and embarrassing antics.

The PAC funded the blitz by raising $1.2 million in April, including $500,000 from cryptocurrency mogul Ryan Salame, the co-CEO of FTX Digital Markets. Salame declined to comment.

The super PAC also received $670,000 from Americans for a Balanced Budget, an anti-deficit outfit run by North Carolina GOP operative Douglas “Dee” Stewart, who declined to comment. A gas station business led by J. Hall Waddell of Hendersonville, N.C., gave the super PAC another $30,000. Waddell, who did not respond to requests for comment, has previously donated to both Cawthorn and Tillis.

In addition to rankling Republican leaders in North Carolina, Cawthorn also antagonized his colleagues in Washington.

In a March podcast interview, Cawthorn made claims about an “orgy” invitation and alleged cocaine use among Republicans in Washington. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) responded that Cawthorn “did not tell the truth” and described his actions as “not becoming of a congressman.” The public rebuke was widely seen as McCarthy giving his blessing to other Republicans to attack Cawthorn in his primary. A spokesman for McCarthy did not respond to requests for comment.

“They shouldn’t have been waiting until he accused them of having orgies,” said George Erwin, a former sheriff in Henderson County, N.C., who backed Cawthorn in 2020 and renounced him after he spoke to the Trump rally on Jan. 6, 2021, that preceded the attack on the U.S. Capitol. Erwin is now supporting a primary rival, Rod Honeycutt. “They should have been speaking up a long time ago. As a lifelong Republican, I have a problem with that.”

Cawthorn is fighting the onslaught of attack ads with a depleted war chest. His campaign raked in $3.8 million, almost twice the average for a House member and more than four times as much as his rival Edwards. But about 21 cents of every dollar Cawthorn’s campaign received went to costs for raising money, such as consulting fees and commissions.

Cawthorn finished April with about $137,000 in the bank, compared with Edwards’s $191,000, according to Federal Election Commission data.

Operatives on the ground agree Edwards has the momentum and the attacks on Cawthorn are taking their toll. But with early voting underway and the primary coming up next week, the Edwards campaign may run out of time, and Cawthorn could still come out on top of the splintered field.

“I thought he was a shining star, like he was perhaps one of the up-and-coming stars of the party,” said Aubrey Woodard, a former local party official who’s thrown his support to Edwards. “I’ve not been impressed. The only thing we see coming from him has been something that we’d really rather not be involved in or hear about.”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Cawthorn needs to lose not simply for the integrity of the party, but he needs another life wake up call besides the paralysis.

Chuck Edwards is a good man. Hoping he’s the winner of the primary.

Return to “POLITICS”