Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
wgdsr

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:14 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:10 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:35 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:12 pm The Louisville DA announcement was actually quite predictable. One officer charged for reckless endangerment, was a small surprise and to me looks like they needed to throw one of the officers under the bus to look like they were really being fair., having taken (justifiably) so much heat already. The civil settlement a couple weeks ago told you all you needed to know to predict this outcome.

Cameron's job was clearly PR. The actual useful information he provided was very little. Question remains about whether there really was a knock. Police witness is not a very good one. My bigger issue is how the two COPs fire 22 shots (I believe) hitting the woman who did nothing wrong 6 times, the shooter either once or nonce, COPs spraying bullets all over the apartment. This is not reckless endangerment? The COPs have changed their story a number of times over the months they have been screwing around. They continue to cover up. This is not primarily about racism, it is about COPs and city authorities covering up. Same old, same old. :roll:

If you are white and think this could not happen to you - you are wrong, very wrong!
If I'm not mistaken, it's pretty apparent that a knock occurred (boyfriend as well as other witnesses said so, boyfriend being particularly credible) but whether there was an announcement of who it was blasting in the door right after is not so sure. Boyfriend says he didn't hear them announce themselves, other witnesses, except one, didn't hear them...did the one witness hear what no one else did? possible. - my previous comments only directed at what the DA said. Yes, the boyfriend did admit they heard a knock (both of them), but did not admit that he was thereby aware it was the police, thought it might have been someone trying to break in, and he reacted as though that was the case.

It's a travesty, but I'm not sure whether the issue was as much these officers in specific as the entire process needing reform. - don't misunderstand, I believe the problem is the process, not these particular officers, although I am not buying the DA is not hiding, covering for the officers in terms of their fire discipline.

It sounds like that DA didn't ask the grand jury for a direct charge of causing the death of Taylor of any of the officers, and it looks incredibly bad that the DA failing to bring direct charges was the darling of the GOP Trump Convention and took all these months to bring us to this point.

So, the opposite of engendering trust.

However, the officers involved were not those who sought and obtained a shoddy no-knock warrant and thus were executing on what they thought was a legitimate action, then returned fire when one of them was shot. So, a difficult case to hang specifically on these officers, albeit their wildly shooting so many times was atrocious. Yup, it was dumped in their laps. The officers are as much the victims of the process as Ms. Taylor, they get to walk away however.

This goes back to systematic racism endemic in the policy set of how law enforcement and judicial system approaches such situations in the first place. No knock, forced entry warrants because of suspected drug trafficking? without even assurance that the person who may or may not be guilty of such is even there? Is this really necessary in situations where there is no imminent physical harm to a victim on premises or a terrorist threat?

Yes, this can happen to a white household, but let's take a look at where such warrants are issued, and how police approach those situations. Let's look at what we criminalize and how we can deescalate the violence of such.
My comment was this was not "primarily" a question of racism. It is certainly true this type of situation is much more likely to happen in minority communities.
They thought it could have been the ex-boyfriend knocking at the door. That’s why he got his weapon. No charges filed against the boyfriend and no drugs or anything else illegal found in the house.
i have not done a deep dive on this, primarily as i thought more would come out clearly at this stage.

from the sound of things, there was no body cam? if not, any reason given why not?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:55 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:12 pm The Louisville DA announcement was actually quite predictable. One officer charged for reckless endangerment, was a small surprise and to me looks like they needed to throw one of the officers under the bus to look like they were really being fair., having taken (justifiably) so much heat already. The civil settlement a couple weeks ago told you all you needed to know to predict this outcome.

Cameron's job was clearly PR. The actual useful information he provided was very little. Question remains about whether there really was a knock. Police witness is not a very good one. My bigger issue is how the two COPs fire 22 shots (I believe) hitting the woman who did nothing wrong 6 times, the shooter either once or nonce, COPs spraying bullets all over the apartment. This is not reckless endangerment? The COPs have changed their story a number of times over the months they have been screwing around. They continue to cover up. This is not primarily about racism, it is about COPs and city authorities covering up. Same old, same old. :roll:

If you are white and think this could not happen to you - you are wrong, very wrong!
If I'm not mistaken, it's pretty apparent that a knock occurred (boyfriend as well as other witnesses said so, boyfriend being particularly credible) but whether there was an announcement of who it was blasting in the door right after is not so sure. Boyfriend says he didn't hear them announce themselves, other witnesses, except one, didn't hear them...did the one witness hear what no one else did? possible. - my previous comments only directed at what the DA said. Yes, the boyfriend did admit they heard a knock (both of them), but did not admit that he was thereby aware it was the police, thought it might have been someone trying to break in, and he reacted as though that was the case.

It's a travesty, but I'm not sure whether the issue was as much these officers in specific as the entire process needing reform. - don't misunderstand, I believe the problem is the process, not these particular officers, although I am not buying the DA is not hiding, covering for the officers in terms of their fire discipline.

It sounds like that DA didn't ask the grand jury for a direct charge of causing the death of Taylor of any of the officers, and it looks incredibly bad that the DA failing to bring direct charges was the darling of the GOP Trump Convention and took all these months to bring us to this point.

However, the officers involved were not those who sought and obtained a shoddy no-knock warrant and thus were executing on what they thought was a legitimate action, then returned fire when one of them was shot. So, a difficult case to hang specifically on these officers, albeit their wildly shooting so many times was atrocious. Yup, it was dumped in their laps. The officers are as much the victims of the process as Ms. Taylor, they get to walk away however.

This goes back to systematic racism endemic in the policy set of how law enforcement and judicial system approaches such situations in the first place. No knock, forced entry warrants because of suspected drug trafficking? without even assurance that the person who may or may not be guilty of such is even there? Is this really necessary in situations where there is no imminent physical harm to a victim on premises or a terrorist threat?

Yes, this can happen to a white household, but let's take a look at where such warrants are issued, and how police approach those situations. Let's look at what we criminalize and how we can deescalate the violence of such.
My comment was this was not "primarily" a question of racism. It is certainly true this type of situation is much more likely to happen in minority communities.
They thought it could have been the ex-boyfriend knocking at the door. That’s why he got his weapon. No charges filed against the boyfriend and no drugs or anything else illegal found in the house.
i have not done a deep dive on this, primarily as i thought more would come out clearly at this stage.

from the sound of things, there was no body cam? if not, any reason given why not?
Was no body cam. Excuse was they were planned for a future budget - the 12th of never. Now is apparently going to happen because of the civil settlement with Taylor's family.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I had not paid much attention to it until a friend sent me a link to some nut on YouTube discrediting the girl. I told him you can’t believe anything some yahoo posts to YouTube but I would look into it myself. I did. Failed police action. The goal seemed to be to a scare the girl and get her to testify against her ex boyfriend. The police thought she was alone (so why all that force right....to scare the hell out of her) and it seems to be a standard police tactic. It went wrong. Like a lot of girls in her situation, she had moved on from what turned out to be a bad apple and it still cost her. I didn’t see it going any way other than this. One cop takes the fall for shooting into the house from a surveillance position and the others were justified. I have seen cops get off for far worse. No winners here.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

“Everything ugly that happens in Louisville tonight is based on the easily verifiable lie of cops hunting down black people for the color of their skin. A lie pushed by nearly every cultural institution in America. And I don’t have to pretend your protest is valid.”

+1

Jesse Kelly
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:23 pm

I had not paid much attention to it until a friend sent me a link to some nut on YouTube discrediting the girl. I told him you can’t believe anything some yahoo posts to YouTube but I would look into it myself. I did. Failed police action. The goal seemed to be to a scare the girl and get her to testify against her ex boyfriend. The police thought she was alone (so why all that force right....to scare the hell out of her) and it seems to be a standard police tactic. It went wrong. Like a lot of girls in her situation, she had moved on from what turned out to be a bad apple and it still costs her. I didn’t see it going any way other than this. One cop takes the fall for shooting into the house from a surveillance position and the others were justified. I have seen cops get off for far worse. No winners here.
Interesting story on the local news. The State of Maryland is looking to pass a law upping the penalty for COPs who don't keep their body cams on or who play games with it. Apparently some COPs and partners use hand signals to indicate to each other to turn off camera or microphones. Too often situations arise where the situation is not being caught on either camera or sound. Police unions of course claim it is all just accidental and police have more important things to do than keep their cameras on. So the state apparently intends to crack down on these "law enforcement" professionals who can't seem to follow orders.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:19 pm “Everything ugly that happens in Louisville tonight is based on the easily verifiable lie of cops hunting down black people for the color of their skin. A lie pushed by nearly every cultural institution in America. And I don’t have to pretend your protest is valid.”

+1

Jesse Kelly

... hey, hows that Elk doing? Maybe Jesse Kely knows, whoever it is. :lol:
Typical Lax Dad

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:19 pm “Everything ugly that happens in Louisville tonight is based on the easily verifiable lie of cops hunting down black people for the color of their skin. A lie pushed by nearly every cultural institution in America. And I don’t have to pretend your protest is valid.”

+1

Jesse Kelly
You watching the Heat vs the Celtics tonight or the Internet?
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:52 pm

+1

Jesse Kelly

Have not watched the NBA since Jordan retired. Zero interest. Watching Wonder Woman the movie/Gal Gadot. Occasionally checking on Fanlax and work emails. Dreaming of the big picture and improving.
Typical Lax Dad

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:25 pm

+1

Jesse Kelly

Have not watched the NBA since Jordan retired. Zero interest. Watching Wonder Woman the movie/Gal Gadot. Occasionally checking on Fanlax and work emails. Dreaming of the big picture and improving.
That is too bad. Wonder Woman gets the bad guy in the end! Gadot looks like a Persian friend of mine.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:29 pm

+1

Jesse Kelly

That is too bad. Wonder Woman gets the bad guy in the end! Gadot looks like a Persian friend of mine.

Your friend would be gorgeous then.
Typical Lax Dad

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:34 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:29 pm

+1

Jesse Kelly

Your friend would be gorgeous then.
Yep. Really pretty....and smart. PhD in Chemistry. She is from Tehran but lives in France now.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Officer shot in Louisville.

I’m telling you, Democrats are doing what they can to hand this election to Trump.

Suburban moms staring at television seeing anarchy in multiple cities tonight. Officer shot in Louisville. If you think this helps Biden, you’re insane.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:49 pm Officer shot in Louisville.

I’m telling you, Democrats are doing what they can to hand this election to Trump.

Suburban moms staring at television seeing anarchy in multiple cities tonight. Officer shot in Louisville. If you think this helps Biden, you’re insane.

Make that 2 Louisville officers shot and transported to area hospitals.
Typical Lax Dad

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:12 pm

Trump - Pence 2020
4 Mo’ Years!
MAGA by VFTA
Paid for by Suckers and Losers for Trump 2020

“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Twitter corporate reporting that officers shot during “demonstrations” in Louisville.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Not hearing any solutions coming from the right... Just doubling down on what's causing the issues.

You fellas are in charge.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:12 pm

Cops cost the city $12 million in the lawsuit filed by the Taylor family. And now this. Had those stupid cops done the job the right way none of this would have happened.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
a fan

Post by a fan »

holmes435 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:53 pm Not hearing any solutions coming from the right... Just doubling down on what's causing the issues.

You think Pete understands that?

"Vote Trump------if you like all the chaos that is 2020, we'll give you four more years of it! Hooray!!!"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:17 pm
holmes435 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:53 pm Not hearing any solutions coming from the right... Just doubling down on what's causing the issues.

Now Trump is the reason police officers are being shot after a trial?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “POLITICS”