Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxfan9999

Re: Games Today

Post by laxfan9999 »

Marquette looked lost on both sides of the ball for most of the day vs Niagara. If not for the great game by their draw girl, the game would have been a blow out. Kropp had 15 draw controls.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

NULax2 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:06 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:14 pm Sammy White's not starting for NU today.

Is she suited up?
Sammy White spotted with a walking boot.
KAH says she is "day to day" so hopefully ready for Denver
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

laxfan9999 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:10 pm Marquette looked lost on both sides of the ball for most of the day vs Niagara. If not for the great game by their draw girl, the game would have been a blow out. Kropp had 15 draw controls.
I thought they had a plan on offense. But it was pretty clear to everyone that only 3 players were going to shoot. Hard to win games against top quality opponents like that.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

NULax2 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:13 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:14 pm Sammy White's not starting for NU today.

Is she suited up?
They won’t need her for Denver. That game won’t be close.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:43 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:26 pm Coach Black and Marquette lose a head scratcher to Niagara today. At one point they were down by at least 7, but lost by 2 with a final of 19-17.

What is going on in Milwaukee? They’ve lost all the mojo they had last season.
They actually have 3 really good offensive players. Birely could probably go to a top 10 team and make an impact as a senior transfer.

Their defense is comically bad. Lost the GB battle today 27-14. And a 36% save percentage on the year isnt going to get it done. Probably finish 4th in Big East this year.
I’ll have to catch a game to see how it is. I know a few of the 2024 defenders coming on board, as well as some offensive players. I guess they have a shot at playing sooner rather than later if this keeps up.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

spidey44 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:39 pm Thanks ONW! I"m trying to make it somewhat humorous yet somewhat informed. I'm new-ish here and definitely not as knowledgeable as some folks around these parts, but I think I have some decent insight as to what's going on. Also don't take myself too seriously and have thick skin ;). Glad you enjoy it and I'll continue putting in my thoughts for the bigger games of the week.
Keep at it. I agree with most of the way you see things.
Navy a great story without their best player….
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:29 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:43 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:26 pm Coach Black and Marquette lose a head scratcher to Niagara today. At one point they were down by at least 7, but lost by 2 with a final of 19-17.

What is going on in Milwaukee? They’ve lost all the mojo they had last season.
They actually have 3 really good offensive players. Birely could probably go to a top 10 team and make an impact as a senior transfer.

Their defense is comically bad. Lost the GB battle today 27-14. And a 36% save percentage on the year isnt going to get it done. Probably finish 4th in Big East this year.
I’ll have to catch a game to see how it is. I know a few of the 2024 defenders coming on board, as well as some offensive players. I guess they have a shot at playing sooner rather than later if this keeps up.
Without a doubt. To put it politely, Marquette doesn't have the personnel to run the defensive system Black is trying to implement. Clearly, she should try to simplify, but feels that isn''t going to happen.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

spidey44 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:28 pm

Is she suited up?

You obviously don't know who Liza Kelly is when you're making that kind of statement.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:20 pm
Is she suited up?
You obviously don't know who Liza Kelly is when you're making that kind of statement.
I'm a huge Liza Kelly fan, Larry – but her identity hasn't seemed to fire her charges against the ranked opponents that they've been looking mediocre, at best, against so far this young season. They lost at #10 Michigan by 4 goals and at home vs #9 Maryland by 2 goals. They took measly 1 goal leads early in the 1st quarter of both losses, and then anemically played catch-up for the remaining 3-1/2 quarters against both opponents--not managing to even tie the game in either of their comeback efforts. And now suddenly they're going to go into Northwestern's Palace on the Lakefront and upset the clear #1 team in the nation? I don't see it.

It hasn't seemed to matter so far this year that Kelly is coaching the team. They've looked a far cry from a team that was supposed to challenge for a national championship in 2024. What's their theme this year--Unfinished Business, or whatever? I know that's what Thacker cited as the reason for coming back for a 5th year. The way they're playing right now – I agree with spidey 100%--the Wildcats are not going to need all hands (meaning a less than fully healthy Sammy White) on deck to dispatch Denver. Hey, we could be proven wrong – but they haven't looked at all like the team that made it to the final four last year, so far this year.

As an aside--what's your assessment of Michigan's junior cagekeeper Erin O'Grady? At this point, she boasts an eye-popping 4.80 GAA and a .686 save percentage.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:45 am
Is she suited up?
I'm a huge Liza Kelly fan, Larry – but her identity hasn't seemed to fire her charges against the ranked opponents that they've been looking mediocre, at best, against so far this young season. They lost at #10 Michigan by 4 goals and at home vs #9 Maryland by 2 goals. They took measly 1 goal leads early in the 1st quarter of both losses, and then anemically played catch-up for the remaining 3-1/2 quarters against both opponents--not managing to even tie the game in either of their comeback efforts. And now suddenly they're going to go into Northwestern's Palace on the Lakefront and upset the clear #1 team in the nation? I don't see it.

It hasn't seemed to matter so far this year that Kelly is coaching the team. They've looked a far cry from a team that was supposed to challenge for a national championship in 2024. What's their theme this year--Unfinished Business, or whatever? I know that's what Thacker cited as the reason for coming back for a 5th year. The way they're playing right now – I agree with spidey 100%--the Wildcats are not going to need all hands (meaning a less than fully healthy Sammy White) on deck to dispatch Denver. Hey, we could be proven wrong – but they haven't looked at all like the team that made it to the final four last year, so far this year.

As an aside--what's your assessment of Michigan's junior cagekeeper Erin O'Grady? At this point, she boasts an eye-popping 4.80 GAA and a .686 save percentage.
GAA(Goals Against Average) has never been viewed by me as a "Goalie Stat"...that's a stat for overall team defense. I haven't watched O'Grady yet, but I'm impressed with her Save Percentage. I look forward to watching her play. Most of the Goalie play I have watched thus far has been disappointing. I'm tired of watching splits, no stepping to the ball, players trying to make high saves by going down and then reaching up, players coming up too high on the crease and attackers just bouncing the ball by them, players get scored on stick side high w/o a fake. Lots of me shaking my head and screaming "who are the people working with these girls?"
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:42 am GAA(Goals Against Average) has never been viewed by me as a "Goalie Stat"...that's a stat for overall team defense. I haven't watched O'Grady yet, but I'm impressed with her Save Percentage. I look forward to watching her play. Most of the Goalie play I have watched thus far has been disappointing. I'm tired of watching splits, no stepping to the ball, players trying to make high saves by going down and then reaching up, players coming up too high on the crease and attackers just bouncing the ball by them, players get scored on stick side high w/o a fake. Lots of me shaking my head and screaming "who are the people working with these girls?"
Thanks, Larry. Appreciate the generous response. While I have your ear. What are your thoughts on Molly Laliberty?
OuttaNowhereWregget

spidey44 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:39 pm Thanks ONW! I"m trying to make it somewhat humorous yet somewhat informed. I'm new-ish here and definitely not as knowledgeable as some folks around these parts, but I think I have some decent insight as to what's going on. Also don't take myself too seriously and have thick skin ;). Glad you enjoy it and I'll continue putting in my thoughts for the bigger games of the week.
You're doing a bang up job with the lines and such. Appreciate your unvarnished opinions as well. And it's good that you don't take yourself too seriously and have thick skin. You'll need both here--trust me.

Yes, there are some extremely knowledgeable folks on these here WD1 boards. Coaches, former coaches, what you might call veteran scouts, etc. They see the game with well trained eyes and can shed a lot of light on game strategy, etc. You'll learn a lot. The more questions you pose, the more you'll learn.

On the whole, you've landed in a good spot. This is probably The premier women's lacrosse message board. Lotta bells and whistles you can use (posting photographs, GIF's, YouTube clips with previews, etc.) to express yourself if you're inclined that way, as well.

Love the lines. I would like to suggest starting a new topic entitled Spidey's Lines or something of your own inspiration. You'd have a regular visitor at this address. Keep on keepin on, spidey ol' bean. You're a welcome breath of fresh air.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

I do know who she is, just been underwhelmed thus far by Denver's offense. Just my opinion and I very well could be wrong. Just see the Cats dominating this game.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:36 am Love the lines. I would like to suggest starting a new topic entitled Spidey's Lines or something of your own inspiration. You'd have a regular visitor at this address. Keep on keepin on, spidey ol' bean. You're a welcome breath of fresh air.
You're too kind!
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

spidey44 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:44 am

I do know who she is, just been underwhelmed thus far by Denver's offense. Just my opinion and I very well could be wrong. Just see the Cats dominating this game.
Denver doesn't seem as good as they were last year...and we know what the Wildcats did to them last year.
LaxNJ71

Post by LaxNJ71 »

ultravisitor wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:24 am

Denver doesn't seem as good as they were last year...and we know what the Wildcats did to them last year.
Is Denver not as good, or have other teams figured out their zone? They haven’t lost much through graduation and have gained some strong transfers, plus more experience and age with their team. I haven’t caught a game yet - whats the word on what’s happening there?
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

LaxNJ71 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:45 am
ultravisitor wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:24 am

Is Denver not as good, or have other teams figured out their zone? They haven’t lost much through graduation and have gained some strong transfers, plus more experience and age with their team. I haven’t caught a game yet - whats the word on what’s happening there?
I was wondering the same thing, and I think it might be a little of both: people have them more figured out and they're not quite as good.
DMac

Post by DMac »

This one must be on the B1G Minus, eh? No listing for this game on the ESPN channels.
Northwestern 15, Denver 7.
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

This is MUST WIN for Denver if they have any hope of hosting a bracket in the NCAA playoffs. Even the NCAA who wants to push “west” lacrosse, will have to pick up travel costs of teams flying east for the tournament. You can’t have a team that lost to Michigan, Maryland and Northwestern hosting 1 of 8 brackets. That would be no different than giving the #4 Big 10 school one of the eight home brackets.

My prediction back in December was Denver would lose at least 3 OOC games but still rip through the weak Big East. That looks like a lock. Also said after Liza Kelly went all in on the portal and covid repeats and having the oldest roster in college lacrosse, she would realize that you can’t win a championship being from west of the Mississippi. Duke is calling, maybe she will answer.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

forthelaxofit wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:44 am

This is MUST WIN for Denver if they have any hope of hosting a bracket in the NCAA playoffs. Even the NCAA who wants to push “west” lacrosse, will have to pick up travel costs of teams flying east for the tournament. You can’t have a team that lost to Michigan, Maryland and Northwestern hosting 1 of 8 brackets. That would be no different than giving the #4 Big 10 school one of the eight home brackets.

My prediction back in December was Denver would lose at least 3 OOC games but still rip through the weak Big East. That looks like a lock. Also said after Liza Kelly went all in on the portal and covid repeats and having the oldest roster in college lacrosse, she would realize that you can’t win a championship being from west of the Mississippi. Duke is calling, maybe she will answer.
Seems like it’s time to take a closer look at the offense happening over there. - they’ve got the personnel. Don’t think the location of a river is holding them back. Northwestern is hardly located in a lax Mecca and they’re managing ok.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”