Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
RedFromMI

Re: Sensible Gun Control

Post by RedFromMI »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:30 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:40 am Another mass stabbing. This time in a Baltimore suburb. With a box cutter.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2019/09/ ... on-latest/

That on the heels of the mass stabbing in Florida, from a crazed pen-knife-man:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tallah ... 2290244001

When will we ban these horrible instruments of terror?
Box cutters were designed to open boxes. They can poke holes in people, sure, but that's not their principal purpose.

Knives are designed to cut things. Your survival knife is not primarily a murder weapon. It is to cut stuff. Try to make a nice meal sometime without using your kitchen knives. These tools are not primarily for killing people.

Guns aren't designed for anything except mortally wounding people. Surely you see this?
Everyone lived here as well...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:35 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:40 am Another mass stabbing. This time in a Baltimore suburb. With a box cutter.

Box cutters were designed to open boxes. They can poke holes in people, sure, but that's not their principal purpose.

Knives are designed to cut things. Your survival knife is not primarily a murder weapon. It is to cut stuff. Try to make a nice meal sometime without using your kitchen knives. These tools are not primarily for killing people.

Guns aren't designed for anything except mortally wounding people. Surely you see this?
Everyone lived here as well...
Exactly...no deaths caused by the various stabbings...why?
Because it's a heck of a lot harder to stab someone to death (obviously possible) than it is to blow holes through people with a gun. Any fool can do the latter. Need a lot of skill or considerable time (many stabs) to do it with a knife, box cutter, etc.

Moreover someone with even a modicum of skill/practice can destroy many, many lives, very fast with an AR.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Has anyone been stabbed to death from a moving car or from the roof of a building?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

No but it does remind me of this funny clip that happened in Atlanta recently

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/clayto ... /957381743
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Knives killed 5x more people than rifles in 2018 according to the FBI
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

holmes435 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:39 pm Knives killed 5x more people than rifles in 2018 according to the FBI
Certainly a bunch more than rifles...which includes the assault type which seem to always be listed.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:08 pm
holmes435 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:39 pm Knives killed 5x more people than rifles in 2018 according to the FBI
Certainly a bunch more than rifles...which includes the assault type which seem to always be listed.
Pistols are the weapons of choice for most killings, yes, but assault type weapons are the choice for large scale mass shootings.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:08 pm
small nit, the rifle data ignores this additional piece.
Firearms, type not stated 1,900 2,314 2,891 3,121 2,963
Knives or cutting instruments 1,545 1,525 1,558 1,609 1,515

Here's your total firearms:
Total firearms: 7,803 9,103 10,372 11,006 10,265
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

True, but if you go by the existing percentages of types of guns used and extrapolate with the "Type not stated", you may get a total of ~557 deaths by rifles (including ARs) vs. 1515 deaths by knife in 2018

I guess my main two points were that knives are still very deadly and kill a lot of people, and that all the focus on AR's isn't going to change much, if anything at all.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Your narrow focus on guns doesn’t allow you to see they are used for recreation, sport and game hunting.

Conversely, there are knives made for easily filleting and hurting people and animals. Perhaps we start with a ban on those first?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:50 pm

Your narrow focus on guns doesn’t allow you to see they are used for recreation, sport and game hunting.

Conversely, there are knives made for easily filleting and hurting people and animals. Perhaps we start with a ban on those first?
Kramerica, as a life long hunter and gun owner, I'm quite offended by your suggestion that the guns most dangerous to people, designed to kill people specifically, have a darn thing to do with hunting.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

holmes435 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:06 pm True, but if you go by the existing percentages of types of guns used and extrapolate with the "Type not stated", you may get a total of ~557 deaths by rifles (including ARs) vs. 1515 deaths by knife in 2018

I guess my main two points were that knives are still very deadly and kill a lot of people, and that all the focus on AR's isn't going to change much, if anything at all.
Which would you prefer for killing 10, 20, 30 people in 10 mins?

"let's start there"
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

What was the name of the school where 30 kids were killed by an intruder with a knife?
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:33 pm What was the name of the school where 30 kids were killed by an intruder with a knife?
Nah, that was the knifing spree in Vegas. Dude had crazy skilz.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:12 pm
holmes435 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:06 pm True, but if you go by the existing percentages of types of guns used and extrapolate with the "Type not stated", you may get a total of ~557 deaths by rifles (including ARs) vs. 1515 deaths by knife in 2018

"let's start there"
A moving vehicle.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... cna1059421
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

"let's start there"
I'd prefer we look at facts and stats.

A legal machine gun can kill hundreds in a minute, but in reality its kill rate is rarer than getting struck by lightning in the USA. Civilians can make large bombs that can kill hundreds in a second. Civilians can fly planes into buildings that can kill thousands in 10 minutes. A truck can kill 30 people in a minute.

Let's start at the biggest difference we can make. What's able to kill, and what actually kills in today's America? Please give me a breakdown before you "start there" as to what actually kills us. And include hamburgers. I'm serious.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

holmes435 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:54 pm

"let's start there"

A legal machine gun can kill hundreds in a minute, but in reality its kill rate is rarer than getting struck by lightning in the USA. Civilians can make large bombs that can kill hundreds in a second. Civilians can fly planes into buildings that can kill thousands in 10 minutes. A truck can kill 30 people in a minute.

Let's start at the biggest difference we can make. What's able to kill, and what actually kills in today's America? Please give me a breakdown before you "start there" as to what actually kills us. And include hamburgers. I'm serious.
Let’s start with changing the gun culture and then work to reduce handguns.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:12 am

"let's start there"

Agreed....and it starts on television, the news, and in the movies. Ban gun display on all forms of media.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:21 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:12 am

"let's start there"

Agreed....and it starts on television, the news, and in the movies. Ban gun display on all forms of media.
It would actually help. The mass media influences people whether they believe it or not.

Return to “POLITICS”