York 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
The12lov3

Re: York 2023

Post by The12lov3 »

Not sure what Yorks strategy was today. They wasted a lot of possession because of shot clock. Consistently wasting time with on the fly substitution cost them a lot of time in the offense hence leading to multiple shot clock violation or getting terrible shots with no time left. If they were trying to slow the game down, they did a terrible job. In addition, Tufts has the most complete defense it has ever had. Can’t beat them by slowing the game down.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

TopCheddar wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:53 pm The attack was very nervous for their matchups, and I can tell. 4 and 28 did not play their best. 28 was a basic lock for Tufts unlike the first goal. 4 tried to hog the ball and "take over" with random 1v1 matchups.
Tufts had Joey Waldbaum on 4. Notwithstanding Jack Boyden, Waldbaum might be the best player on the team. 4 had no chance against him. Also, Tufts close D did not press out/attack per their usual. They just played the body and forced York to beat them 1v1, which York couldn't.
Laxrealist

Post by Laxrealist »

agree with these comments. Not nearly enough ball movement. I have to assume the players did what they were told to do, but if they were told to try to dodge and try to consistently win 1v1s, poor planning that makes no sense. Might work in the MAC, but not against teams like Tufts. Ball movement results in more and better shots. And i dont think York was prepared for the early and heavy pressure way up high outside the restraining line, which is exactly what Tufts did to York in 2021. Coach had to know that was coming again, right? So why no new response? As always, the effort and heart were there from the players.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

TopCheddar wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:53 pm After watching that disaster, I am going to be as honest as I can with this York squad. Not trolling. No matter what the game play would've been, Tufts would have won. They are simply better in every category. That might not be a factor in all games. But it is the fact how consistent they are that wins them these games.

The attack was very nervous for their matchups, and I can tell. 4 and 28 did not play their best. 28 was a basic lock for Tufts unlike the first goal. 4 tried to hog the ball and "take over" with random 1v1 matchups. This leads to turnovers. You cannot play hero ball against Tufts. Sorry, it is the hard truth. They are a division 1 program playing in Division 3. The teamwork on offense was not good today at all. Only 3 assists combined. On defense, it looked like we tried to read the scout too hard rather than just playing our game. Boyden is a threat, but it doesn't mean other players won't just sweep and shoot the hell out of the ball. 0 in goal did the best he could. I actually thought he saved the game from being a 25+ one.

I don't know if this is a long stretch of advice, but we need bigger/more athletic guys to beat teams past the final four. This needs to be a big, HUGE strategy of recruiting. Yes, shifty quick attackmen and middies are fun to watch, but ALL get BULLIED by Tufts, RIT, SALISBURY especially. All of their teams are huge. Fundamentals might not come easier, but you have 4 years to teach them. Sorry not sorry. I'm not even talking about those powerhouse schools either. Even Union in the final four last year knocked us out, they had a big squad as well. It is such a deal breaker come the tournament.

You don't have to agree with my points, I just think those have been thoughts of large amounts of fans over the years.
I think a lot of this is true. It appeared like their plan was to try to shorten the game by taking long possessions and try to score late in the shot clock. The problem was they struggled to force a slide as the kids had a hard time beating their guys 1v1. They did not run their normal ride and wanted to make Tufts play 6v6. I have zero insight if this is true but it is what it looked like to me.
Tufts was simply better even when York worked in for a good shot their goalie made saves. After seeing all of the top teams I think that only Salisbury gives this Tufts team a game.
Recruiting is moving toward bigger more athletic kids but you still have to play the kids that give you a chance to win, I do believe that next years class has some bigger kids but you can only bring in kids that want to come.
This team will be back, it will be interesting to see how they grow and get better
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:24 pm
TopCheddar wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:53 pm The attack was very nervous for their matchups, and I can tell. 4 and 28 did not play their best. 28 was a basic lock for Tufts unlike the first goal. 4 tried to hog the ball and "take over" with random 1v1 matchups.
Tufts had Joey Waldbaum on 4. Notwithstanding Jack Boyden, Waldbaum might be the best player on the team. 4 had no chance against him. Also, Tufts close D did not press out/attack per their usual. They just played the body and forced York to beat them 1v1, which York couldn't.
Tufts is littered with great players and they are fun to watch, but not to play against
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

I have to agree with most of these comments. As a fan, it is hard to tell sometimes, what the game plan is. Maybe that is the game plan??? I don’t think size is the issue. That would just lead to more 1v1. Unless we are talking outside shooting. If teams want to make it past the sweet 16, they need to play more team ball. I don’t know how many goals Tufts had this weekend from that one extra pass, Or hitting the open shooter on the back side.
York does need outside shooters. I don’t think we see many goals from outside shots. Maybe because most of the offense is the dodging type of scorer?
I also don’t understand the lack of urgency to get the defense out of the offensive side of the field. The past month, a defender would hang on the offensive side, waiting to sprint to the mid line to create a break. This weekend, I didn’t see that happen. Some lingering and slow jogs to the mid line
You have to credit tufts goalie. He made some great saves.

Based on the teams left, that York played, tufts is the best. I would rank them
1. Tufts

GAP

2. Salisbury
3. CNU
Gap
4. RIT
Gap
5. Lynchburg
6. W&L
7 Dickinson

Since York didn’t play middlebury, it’s hard to tell where they would fall. But probably around RIT level. Salisbury or CNU would need to play a perfect game to match Tufts talent
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:48 am I have to agree with most of these comments. As a fan, it is hard to tell sometimes, what the game plan is. Maybe that is the game plan??? I don’t think size is the issue. That would just lead to more 1v1. Unless we are talking outside shooting. If teams want to make it past the sweet 16, they need to play more team ball. I don’t know how many goals Tufts had this weekend from that one extra pass, Or hitting the open shooter on the back side.
York does need outside shooters. I don’t think we see many goals from outside shots. Maybe because most of the offense is the dodging type of scorer?
I also don’t understand the lack of urgency to get the defense out of the offensive side of the field. The past month, a defender would hang on the offensive side, waiting to sprint to the mid line to create a break. This weekend, I didn’t see that happen. Some lingering and slow jogs to the mid line
You have to credit tufts goalie. He made some great saves.

Based on the teams left, that York played, tufts is the best. I would rank them
1. Tufts

GAP

2. Salisbury
3. CNU
Gap
4. RIT
Gap
5. Lynchburg
6. W&L
7 Dickinson

Since York didn’t play middlebury, it’s hard to tell where they would fall. But probably around RIT level. Salisbury or CNU would need to play a perfect game to match Tufts talent
I do feel like some of the slowness in regard to getting kids on and off was in part because Tufts does such a good job of attacking the ball in the middle of the field and York wanting to make sure that they kept possession while being concerned about keeping the ball away from Tufts.

I think you can point to what you saw and could decipher York's game plan.
do not give Tufts transition, so no 10-man ride
on the clear get the ball below the restraining box before subbing kids out, Tufts did a great job contesting this.
take long possessions ( they would, sometimes not get their first shot until under 10 seconds on the shot clock.
beat their guys draw slides and attack the backside
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Unfortunately ran into the team who’s probably gonna run away with the championship this year in round 2
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

tough bracket as I feel like York could have beaten at least 1/2 of the teams playing this weekend
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Asgot wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:18 pm tough bracket as I feel like York could have beaten at least 1/2 of the teams playing this weekend
Didn’t they lose to half of them in the regular season?
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:22 pm
Asgot wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:18 pm tough bracket as I feel like York could have beaten at least 1/2 of the teams playing this weekend
Didn’t they lose to half of them in the regular season?
:lol: :lol:
The snark in you said “gotcha…”
But the part of your brain that actually does the thinking should’ve realized there is indeed another “half” left in the field. Too funny.

In any event, two that they lost to by 1 indeed also “could have” been won. Never change Insider, never change.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

Don’t disagree but would add that 1/2 the teams eliminated last weekend could beat York.

Who is the most over-hyped, over-discussed team in D?
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

SKUD wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:12 pm Don’t disagree but would add that 1/2 the teams eliminated last weekend could beat York.

Ok, let’s play along. 1/2 the teams eliminated last weekend could be York?

I would say York would probably beat every team that was eliminated. The only top 10 teams that list were Amherst and gettysburgh. Both teams are very similar to York. Amherst game vs York was back and forth the entire game until the final 3 mins. As for gettysburgh, York out played them for 3/4 of the game when they played. Both could go either way

Union would be close also. Could probably go either way. Union was up and down this year. The only similar games were RIT. York played a back and forth game with them, Union lost twice in games that were not really close. Advantage York

Babson is a step below union. Losing even worst to RIT

The over hyped teams that got exposed last week were swarthmore, Williams, Kenyon, stevens, and Denison. York would be favored in all those games.

Teams York would definitely beat
SJF, WNE, Grove City, Geneseo, Illinois Wesleyan, W Conn, SMCM, Emmanuel, John Carroll, Colorado Co, Centre, Hope, Scranton, Cabrini

So 23 other teams lost last weekend. 2 teams could go either way. 2 teams would be close and could possibly beat York, but probably not. And 19 teams wouldn’t have much of a chance.

That is far from “half”
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:11 am
SKUD wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:12 pm Don’t disagree but would add that 1/2 the teams eliminated last weekend could beat York.

I would say York would probably beat every team that was eliminated. The only top 10 teams that list were Amherst and gettysburgh. Both teams are very similar to York. Amherst game vs York was back and forth the entire game until the final 3 mins. As for gettysburgh, York out played them for 3/4 of the game when they played. Both could go either way

Union would be close also. Could probably go either way. Union was up and down this year. The only similar games were RIT. York played a back and forth game with them, Union lost twice in games that were not really close. Advantage York

The over hyped teams that got exposed last week were swarthmore, Williams, Kenyon, stevens, and Denison. York would be favored in all those games.

SJF, WNE, Grove City, Geneseo, Illinois Wesleyan, W Conn, SMCM, Emmanuel, John Carroll, Colorado Co, Centre, Hope, Scranton, Cabrini

So 23 other teams lost last weekend. 2 teams could go either way. 2 teams would be close and could possibly beat York, but probably not. And 19 teams wouldn’t have much of a chance.

That is far from “half”
So York is 0-4 vs teams in the quarterfinals. And 1-6 vs teams in sweet sixteen. Why is it so hard to just admit that York had a bad year by their standards and should be better next year? They lost almost every single meaningful game of the year.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:05 am
Laxattackjack wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:11 am

That is far from “half”
So York is 0-4 vs teams in the quarterfinals. And 1-6 vs teams in sweet sixteen. Why is it so hard to just admit that York had a bad year by their standards and should be better next year? They lost almost every single meaningful game of the year.
Let’s try to stay focused. The comment was that 1/2 the teams eliminated would beat York (23 others were eliminated). The teams you referenced were not eliminated last weekend.

As for York having a down year. Compared to what? Last year was the best year York ever had. The main difference between the two years is York beat W&L and gettysburgh by a goal last year. And this year they lost both games by a goal.

Last year they lost bad to RIT. This year they were winning most of the game.

Last year and this year, they lost to Salisbury in similar fashion as this year

The only other difference is playing Amherst in the mustang classic vs playing bates last year.

As for going 1-6 vs sweet 16 teams? 2-5.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

:!:
Laxattackjack wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:28 am
Wins: Denison

Losses: Tufts, RIT, Amherst, W&L, Gettysburg, Salisbury

1-6
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:41 am :!:
Laxattackjack wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:28 am
Wins: Denison

Losses: Tufts, RIT, Amherst, W&L, Gettysburg, Salisbury

1-6
My mistake. I counted grove city.

But still trying to understand how this is a down year.
Laxrealist

Post by Laxrealist »

Well…
last year they beat WL, this year they lost
Last year they played Salisbury even but for a 3 goal gulls spurt spurt in the 2nd, I believe during an an unreadable penalty
Last year Rit was MUCH better than early this year and but for a slow 1-6 start, each quarter was a one goal difference.
Last year Gettysburg was better than this year and York beat them. This year they lost.
Not sure but I think Amherst beat York without one of its top attack man.
Last year York beat the favorite to win it all (cnu) and went to the semis for the first time ever. This year they got smoked by the favorite.
Last year was a better team. This year was down compared to that team but maybe not down when compared to its standard… getting to the elite 8. With a better draw they may have met that standard.
Young team with promise.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Have to say loving this cat fight😂. I’m a big fan of York and hopefully not as biased as some here. I’d like to offer my services as an impartial adjudicator. I think you are both correct to varying degrees. York has arrived and is a really strong program under Childs. As I fan I know I was surprised they weren’t a bit better this year. I personally did see it as a down year a notch below last season. It’s almost game time so good luck boys fighting this out. Turning in the webcast, have fun and good luck. 👍
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

I don't know if it's fair to say that York fell short of expectations this year. It wasn't long ago that all the talk was that York would not be able to replace pieces of the puzzle that they lost last year. They weren't expected to go all the way, unlike some other teams that were getting all the love and still lost anyway. I wont mention them.
York, in all, had a pretty decent year then ran into a Buzz saw with a difficult draw at Tufts early in the NCAA's. I'm not sure there is much that would've changed that outcome, so it is what it is. Another MAC title, another NCAA run, and yes, unfortunately another year of falling short of the finals. I'd rather that then not making it at all.
Funny to hear what are clearly Dads of players on less talented teams chirp all year about York. I guess they don't have anything better to do, but ok. It's York's page. If you don't want to read it, don't click on the York thread. That simple.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”