Trump's Russian Collusion

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: IMPEACHMENT ... Gather evidence steadily, go to trial in the Senate.

Post by youthathletics »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:34 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:12 am
wahoomurf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:30 pm Just wait until McCarthy and Jordan/Hastert attack the West Point Grad,combat vet (The 101st Vietnam),30+ year diplomat,hawk on Russia, political party agnostic and a guy who came out of retirement to take over,(for the second time) as the U.S.Ambasador to Ukraine who spent time today,answering questions.

He's obviously a traitorous low-life.

Go get him boys!🤨
I certainly hope not. I think they will avoid it and simply summarize it as "there is no quo", so therefore it is just a understanding of his time as Ambassador.
The President used his office and his authority under the Constitution to attempt to buy "deliverable" dirt on a political opponent by threatening to withhold properly appropriated tax dollars, and that's OK with you. He did it with a vulnerable ally. He did it to a country at war with the Russians. And you don't care. 'Nuff said. I am genuinely astonished that anyone can feel this way.
Did you intentionally leave out the very important fact that the inquiry into investigation was primarily pre-election shenanigans. the Biden issue is secondary or even tertiary.

And people have asked why did the administration wait until Biden jumps in...well, Ukraine still had a corrupt president in place until April of 2019.

Serious question, if you took this to trial, would you get a conviction?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:33 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:15 am
tech37 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:24 am
njbill wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:16 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:35 pm What Schiff is doing is unprecedented & is an abuse of the HPSCI's mission of oversight of the IC.

Andy McCarthy explains why it's nothing like a Grand Jury inquiry.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/andrew- ... he-secrecy
I assume you understand Trump has no due process rights under the Constitution in the impeachment proceedings. It is not a criminal case so none of the due process rights applicable to criminal proceedings apply. Nor is it a civil case. It is a political process.
And this is exactly why, in the court of public opinion, it's nothing but politics as usual...unless you're a Trump-hating, resistance warrior of course ;)
Jim Jordan sums it here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B38g3yxn_qV ... ZWXpcCfk0/
For someone complaining about secrecy, isn't it a little hypocritical for that someone to have a private Instagram account complaining about secrecy.
For the life of me I don’t know how someone would traffic in tripe. And Jim Jordan is Colonel Schultz.....he saw nothing in the OSU locker rooms
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:48 am
wahoomurf wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:30 pm Just wait until McCarthy and Jordan/Hastert attack the West Point Grad,combat vet (The 101st Vietnam),30+ year diplomat,hawk on Russia, political party agnostic and a guy who came out of retirement to take over,(for the second time) as the U.S.Ambasador to Ukraine who spent time today,answering questions.

Go get him boys!🤨
I certainly hope not. I think they will avoid it and simply summarize it as "there is no quo", so therefore it is just a understanding of his time as Ambassador.
The President used his office and his authority under the Constitution to attempt to buy "deliverable" dirt on a political opponent by threatening to withhold properly appropriated tax dollars, and that's OK with you. He did it with a vulnerable ally. He did it to a country at war with the Russians. And you don't care. 'Nuff said. I am genuinely astonished that anyone can feel this way.
Did you intentionally leave out the very important fact that the inquiry into investigation was primarily pre-election shenanigans. the Biden issue is secondary or even tertiary.

And people have asked why did the administration wait until Biden jumps in...well, Ukraine still had a corrupt president in place until April of 2019.

So the Inspector General is stupid? That’s your conclusion?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

old salt wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:43 am You think this secret star chamber, with no due process or rights for the accused is a PR winner ?
TBD. Right now, if you believe the polls, it seems to be. Long way to go, of course. Seems clear he will be impeached by the House, but acquitted in the Senate. I think it is way too early to know how this will impact the 2020 election. Trump will certainly claim he is exonerated if he is acquitted in the Senate. His base will believe that, but will the independent swing voters? My sense is the impeachment will hurt him. The question is by how much?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Actually, the deliverable is not the dirt - the deliverable was for the President of the Ukraine to publicly announce an investigation into both the Bidens and Ukrainian interference in the 2016 election. That is all Trump wanted - he did not really care if there was any dirt delivered (as there was not really).

Definitely a quid pro quo. And the reason that the announcement was all he wanted was that it would completely change the conversation about the next election to the past one while killing the Biden candidacy - the one he feared the most.

Definitely also criminal - with more than one possible statute violated. One possibility is election law violations (foreign campaign contribution). Another is solicitation of a bribe. I am sure that a real lawyer can come up with more.

But for impeachment you don't actually need a prosecutable criminal act. And that is why the likely main if not only article of impeachment that will be put on the table is abuse of power, which this CLEARLY is.
calourie

Post by calourie »

A conspiracy to obtain political dirt on political rivals via a shadow State Department cabal certainly reeks of a crime. That such behavior is clearly antithetical to the tenets of the constitution would seem to qualify it as a political "high crime" at the very least. To assert that viifying the behavior as somehow an act of personal hatred as relates to the sleazebag and associates who thought up and executed the conspiracy is disingenuous at best, and mind boglingly supportive of corruption and thus stupid at its' worst. Keep up the good work Trump apologists.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

njbill wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:20 am
old salt wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:43 am You think this secret star chamber, with no due process or rights for the accused is a PR winner ?
TBD. Right now, if you believe the polls, it seems to be. Long way to go, of course. Seems clear he will be impeached by the House, but acquitted in the Senate. I think it is way too early to know how this will impact the 2020 election. Trump will certainly claim he is exonerated if he is acquitted in the Senate. His base will believe that, but will the independent swing voters? My sense is the impeachment will hurt him. The question is by how much?
Not a secret star chamber - this is a process in an evidence gathering phase. There are both Ds and Rs in the room where the questioning is taking place. The reason the depositions are not publicly released yet are to keep future witnesses from tailoring their answers according to the prior depositions. This is exactly how any police/FBI/etc investigation would occur.

When Clinton was investigated the process was handled by Starr as a special prosecutor before articles of impeachment were drawn. So this one is different because there is no special prosecutor - and no one expects Barr to really investigate this.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:28 am
Not a secret star chamber - this is a process in an evidence gathering phase. There are both Ds and Rs in the room where the questioning is taking place. The reason the depositions are not publicly released yet are to keep future witnesses from tailoring their answers according to the prior depositions. This is exactly how any police/FBI/etc investigation would occur.

When Clinton was investigated the process was handled by Starr as a special prosecutor before articles of impeachment were drawn. So this one is different because there is no special prosecutor - and no one expects Barr to really investigate this.
Exactly. Barr was asked to investigate and refused, to the cheers of all the Trumpsuckers. Now they whine when they are hoisted on their own petard.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Go get him boys!🤨

Respectfully, I think most of your points and your questions are irrelevant. I don't mean that as snark; I mean it literally.

On July 25, 2019, the President woke up and used his power under the Constitution to manage the foreign relations of the United States. He joined a prearranged call with the President of a nation-state (1) that is a US ally; (2) that is involved in a war with Russia, in which its casualties are in the many thousands and its land losses are substantial; and (3) to which the Congress, in this highly polarized era, had authorized several hundred million dollars in aid pursuant to its legislative powers under the Constitution.

We now know in the background and in the days leading up to this call, emissaries of the President had deviated from stated US policy to stop or withhold or slow walk Ukraine's receipt of the aid dollars, on a direction from the acting Chief of Staff and the head of the OMB, at the direction of the President. ACOS/OMB Chief Mulvaney would not and could not do this alone. We now know that career diplomats were either sidelined or ignored when they were prompted to ask about this reversal or change. We now know that the aid dollars were to be withheld pending a promise -- in a public box -- from the head of government of the recipient nation that he would investigate an alleged theory the President and Mr. Giuliani had about the American 2016 election (an effort to show that the opposition political party, not the President's party or the Russians) actually engaged foreign interference in the election), and investigate Burisma, the company on which the former VP's son was a board member for a time. In your language, the quid is there; the quo is plainly identified. And both are aimed at inducing the foreign government -- vulnerable and at war with what most of us believe is an ardent foe of this country and its system of government and way of life -- to provide material assistance to the President's primary domestic agenda item: his reelection and the weakening of a potential political opponent, who was then leading in the pre-primary polls.

The national security consequences of treating an ally and aid-recipient I will leave to the Charge D'Affaires of the American mission to Ukraine. He thinks the effort, even if not carried out to its intended purpose of prompting the "investigations" and placing Ukraine's President in a "public box," were catastrophic to East European strategy and weakened the reputation of this country across Europe, to say nothing of in Ukraine.

On a count of conspiracy to commit extortion or bribery, or some misuse of public funds, I think there is a pretty good case for a conviction. But that question is, as you must know, not relevant to the constitutional issue of whether these are impeachable offenses. Smarter folks than me and, respectfully, you, think the use of the office and powers for these purposes are in fact exactly why the Founders included the Impeachment Clauses in the Constitution. I won't gainsay Alexander Hamilton here, and neither should you. These actions are impeachable. I think the House has no choice but to impeach, and the specific articles will be pretty easy to draw up, and support through the evidence in the form of testimony and documents. This is particularly true if the Executive Branch complies with lawful subpoenas and provides contemporaneous materials relating to the events described above.

It is of some moment, to me anyway, that the Administration's arguments are about the investigative process and about whether the scheme to place the Ukraine President in the box and deliver the deliverables actually succeeded. NJBill and ggait have already canvassed the totally fraudulent silliness of the first set of arguments. The second is irrelevant -- the President appears to have very plainly engaged in a conspiracy to extort favors and actions aimed at his domestic political continuity and success in exchange for, by withholding, and/or by threatening to withhold monies publicly appropriated and directed by a coordinate, co-equal branch of government.

In the end, as you also know, the issue is less "can I get a conviction in a court," than it is will 66 Senators have the courage to say that this is not the manner in which this most powerful and influential of offices can be used, and that this sort of shenanigans besmirches the reputation of the American people and belittles our system of government.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Nice synopsis Seacoaster.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Pence suggests Bill Taylor is from the Swamp.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:38 am

Go get him boys!🤨

Respectfully, I think most of your points and your questions are irrelevant. I don't mean that as snark; I mean it literally.

On July 25, 2019, the President woke up and used his power under the Constitution to manage the foreign relations of the United States. He joined a prearranged call with the President of a nation-state (1) that is a US ally; (2) that is involved in a war with Russia, in which its casualties are in the many thousands and its land losses are substantial; and (3) to which the Congress, in this highly polarized era, had authorized several hundred million dollars in aid pursuant to its legislative powers under the Constitution.

We now know in the background and in the days leading up to this call, emissaries of the President had deviated from stated US policy to stop or withhold or slow walk Ukraine's receipt of the aid dollars, on a direction from the acting Chief of Staff and the head of the OMB, at the direction of the President. ACOS/OMB Chief Mulvaney would not and could not do this alone. We now know that career diplomats were either sidelined or ignored when they were prompted to ask about this reversal or change. We now know that the aid dollars were to be withheld pending a promise -- in a public box -- from the head of government of the recipient nation that he would investigate an alleged theory the President and Mr. Giuliani had about the American 2016 election (an effort to show that the opposition political party, not the President's party or the Russians) actually engaged foreign interference in the election), and investigate Burisma, the company on which the former VP's son was a board member for a time. In your language, the quid is there; the quo is plainly identified. And both are aimed at inducing the foreign government -- vulnerable and at war with what most of us believe is an ardent foe of this country and its system of government and way of life -- to provide material assistance to the President's primary domestic agenda item: his reelection and the weakening of a potential political opponent, who was then leading in the pre-primary polls.

The national security consequences of treating an ally and aid-recipient I will leave to the Charge D'Affaires of the American mission to Ukraine. He thinks the effort, even if not carried out to its intended purpose of prompting the "investigations" and placing Ukraine's President in a "public box," were catastrophic to East European strategy and weakened the reputation of this country across Europe, to say nothing of in Ukraine.

On a count of conspiracy to commit extortion or bribery, or some misuse of public funds, I think there is a pretty good case for a conviction. But that question is, as you must know, not relevant to the constitutional issue of whether these are impeachable offenses. Smarter folks than me and, respectfully, you, think the use of the office and powers for these purposes are in fact exactly why the Founders included the Impeachment Clauses in the Constitution. I won't gainsay Alexander Hamilton here, and neither should you. These actions are impeachable. I think the House has no choice but to impeach, and the specific articles will be pretty easy to draw up, and support through the evidence in the form of testimony and documents. This is particularly true if the Executive Branch complies with lawful subpoenas and provides contemporaneous materials relating to the events described above.

It is of some moment, to me anyway, that the Administration's arguments are about the investigative process and about whether the scheme to place the Ukraine President in the box and deliver the deliverables actually succeeded. NJBill and ggait have already canvassed the totally fraudulent silliness of the first set of arguments. The second is irrelevant -- the President appears to have very plainly engaged in a conspiracy to extort favors and actions aimed at his domestic political continuity and success in exchange for, by withholding, and/or by threatening to withhold monies publicly appropriated and directed by a coordinate, co-equal branch of government.

In the end, as you also know, the issue is less "can I get a conviction in a court," than it is will 66 Senators have the courage to say that this is not the manner in which this most powerful and influential of offices can be used, and that this sort of shenanigans besmirches the reputation of the American people and belittles our system of government.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. It helps.

If this impeachment moves forward, it sets a new precedent (for each of them) that significantly impacts any and all politicians in their future business dealings. I believe the House knows this and is hoping that political opinion serves their cause and dissuades voters away from Trump. Otherwise, I believe the House is playing with fire; and they know it.

I do not disagree that their is not cause for concern, I just believe this is business as usual in the trenches of politics. Which may be why many believe this is a nothing-burger.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Agreed. No way you will get something like 20 republican Senators to vote for removal. From my perspective this is about doing what is right. Seeing wrong and calling it out. The latest polling continues to see a rise in independents in favor of both impeachment and removal. This is the battle for the last remaining voters who's minds can be changed.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Trinity wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:04 am Pence suggests Bill Taylor is from the Swamp.
They have nowhere else to go. No one is going to buy that. The more they do this the worse they look in the eyes of voters who's minds can be changed.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:06 am
seacoaster wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:38 am

Go get him boys!🤨

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. It helps.

If this impeachment moves forward, it sets a new precedent (for each of them) that significantly impacts any and all politicians in their future business dealings. I believe the House knows this and is hoping that political opinion serves their cause and dissuades voters away from Trump. Otherwise, I believe the House is playing with fire; and they know it.

I do not disagree that their is not cause for concern, I just believe this is business as usual in the trenches of politics. Which may be why many believe this is a nothing-burger.
Well, let's for darn sure hope that the precedent set is that Presidents can't actually get away with egregious abuses of power, putting personal political benefit ahead of national security, and obstruction of justice.

I don't buy for a moment that this is "business as usual"; if it's even remotely such, it needs to be thoroughly repudiated, else the reverse precedent is set and this POTUS and future ones go all in.

Seacoaster,
Do I recall correctly that the withholding of the aid, and not telling Congress the truth about that act, is itself actually against he law?
CU88

Post by CU88 »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:23 am Actually, the deliverable is not the dirt - the deliverable was for the President of the Ukraine to publicly announce an investigation into both the Bidens and Ukrainian interference in the 2016 election. That is all Trump wanted - he did not really care if there was any dirt delivered (as there was not really).

Definitely a quid pro quo. And the reason that the announcement was all he wanted was that it would completely change the conversation about the next election to the past one while killing the Biden candidacy - the one he feared the most.

Definitely also criminal - with more than one possible statute violated. One possibility is election law violations (foreign campaign contribution). Another is solicitation of a bribe. I am sure that a real lawyer can come up with more.

But for impeachment you don't actually need a prosecutable criminal act. And that is why the likely main if not only article of impeachment that will be put on the table is abuse of power, which this CLEARLY is.
I agree, o d was paying for that singular image of Biden being publically tainted. Just like Comey did to HRC.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:13 am
Agreed. No way you will get something like 20 republican Senators to vote for removal. From my perspective this is about doing what is right. Seeing wrong and calling it out. The latest polling continues to see a rise in independents in favor of both impeachment and removal. This is the battle for the last remaining voters who's minds can be changed.
The "with no due process" BS is a dog that won't hunt. It is clear and should be clear to anyone not blind that once public hearings begin no one will care about this phase of the investigation. Either the democrats will have a case or they won't. If they have one, they win and will be rewarded. If they don't have one, they lose and will be punished. All else is just whining.
calourie

Post by calourie »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I submit that getting a handful of republican senators to vote for impeachment in the likely upcoming Senate impeachment trial would be a political victory for the dems as it would lessen the exoneration argument in that a majority of senators would then have voted for Trump's removal. Trump's base is likely to stick with him no matter what, but a handful of oppositional republicans would likely present a political rift in the party which would severely limit Trump's reelection prospects.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:13 am
The "with no due process" BS is a dog that won't hunt. It is clear and should be clear to anyone not blind that once public hearings begin no one will care about this phase of the investigation. Either the democrats will have a case or they won't. If they have one, they win and will be rewarded. If they don't have one, they lose and will be punished. All else is just whining.
The only aspect of your post that I'd question is the meaning of "win". If you mean that majority of people will believe that impeachment was righteous rather than partisan, perhaps.

If you mean that Trump will be convicted in the senate, that may prove a bridge too far, regardless of the overwhelming evidence of the case.

Not unlike trials in our history in the south of very obvious killers of a black man, nevertheless acquitted by an all white male jury.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

calourie wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:28 am TBD. Right now, if you believe the polls, it seems to be. Long way to go, of course. Seems clear he will be impeached by the House, but acquitted in the Senate. I think it is way too early to know how this will impact the 2020 election. Trump will certainly claim he is exonerated if he is acquitted in the Senate. His base will believe that, but will the independent swing voters? My sense is the impeachment will hurt him. The question is by how much?
[/quote]

I submit that getting a handful of republican senators to vote for impeachment in the likely upcoming Senate impeachment trial would be a political victory for the dems as it would lessen the exoneration argument in that a majority of senators would then have voted for Trump's removal. Trump's base is likely to stick with him no matter what, but a handful of oppositional republicans would likely present a political rift in the party which would severely limit Trump's reelection prospects.
[/quote]

Agreed. This I believe is likely.

Return to “POLITICS”