What Music Are You Listening To ?

Movies, TV, and Music
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: What Music Are You Listening To ?

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Back in 1994, Frank Black, he of Pixies fame, released a solo album entitled "Teenager of the Year". On it was a tribute to the Three Stooges. A cool little ditty called Two Reelers:

A lot of people love that Jerome (Curly)
Did you know he missed his comb?
All his life was in pain
He made us laugh, he never did complain

Brother Sam was more than okay (Shemp)
Returned once more to save the day
Slicked-back hair he did keep
Making a heep, heep, heep, heep, heep

If all you see is violence
Well then I make a plea in their defense
Don't you know they speak vaudevillian?
And for what it is hear what my theory is
Some gibberish it is so serious
Yeah what we need is more silly men

Though underrated all the time
Louis was so very fine (Larry)
Without him, imagine
You know he could play the violin?

Most important was brother Moe
He was the one who made it so
He got a Joe and another Joe
He would not quit, he would not quit

And Mr. White heard bad reports
And so it ends the two reeler short
Cause you cannot do what you can't

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:29 am Back in 1994, Frank Black, he of Pixies fame, released a solo album entitled "Teenager of the Year". On it was a tribute to the Three Stooges. A cool little ditty called Two Reelers:

All his life was in pain

Without him, imagine

This is my favorite song on that album followed by Whatever Happened to Pong and Sir Rockabye.

Have seen both pixies shows and black and Catholics shows but one around 1998 spring at Hungry Charlie’s in Syracuse he blew the roof off the place playing a bunch of songs from this album even though Cult of Ray had already been out (I believe-at least one other album post
Self titled and teenager of the year had come out by then but TOA songs were cranked to 1,000 in that little bar venue.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
OuttaNowhereWregget

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:30 am This is my favorite song on that album followed by Whatever Happened to Pong and Sir Rockabye.

Have seen both pixies shows and black and Catholics shows but one around 1998 spring at Hungry Charlie’s in Syracuse he blew the roof off the place playing a bunch of songs from this album even though Cult of Ray had already been out (I believe-at least one other album post
Self titled and teenager of the year had come out by then but TOA songs were cranked to 1,000 in that little bar venue.
He must have been some kind of act to see in concert. He is one of the pure musical geniuses who was able to write great lyrics, write great music, sing and play. Not many that can do all four. He also had a great sense of humor that came through in his music. He loved words in a John Lennon kind of way, as well. A true artist.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:37 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:30 am This is my favorite song on that album followed by Whatever Happened to Pong and Sir Rockabye.

He must have been some kind of act to see in concert. He is one of the pure musical geniuses who was able to write great lyrics, write great music, sing and play. Not many that can do all four. He also had a great sense of humor that came through in his music. He loved words in a John Lennon kind of way, as well. A true artist.
The pixies reunion shows (I got into them early 90s when they were basically done as a middle/early Hs kid) were all good (particularly like the Doolittle 25yr anniversary show at the Fox down here in Atl) but mostly except one without Kim Deal so missing something. His earlier solo shows were amazing. Later I loved but he’s basically a folk/country singer now. His album Honeycomb is wildly different-to your point there’s a great song story called song of the shrimp leaving his family and jumping into the great big net to explore the world...

If you don’t know that last solo one here’s a few songs I like from it

Selkie Bride-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vmWNBtJU2u8

I Burn today (my favorite on This album)-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFS74hFkqng

Song of the shrimp-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mqHdUE8zB5k

Strange Goodbye (duet w his girlfriend)-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aBheus8hJoI

(In fact decided to throw this one as I hadn’t listened to it for a while, it’s a happy sounding tune about a divorce)

Sing for Joy (2nd favorite on album)-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1p385SvNysQ
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:29 am Back in 1994, Frank Black, he of Pixies fame, released a solo album entitled "Teenager of the Year". On it was a tribute to the Three Stooges. A cool little ditty called Two Reelers:

All his life was in pain

Without him, imagine

Seems like you are a Boston guy more than a pixies or punk guy but the new suicide squad reps NYC and Boston by starting out a Jim Carroll’s (poet who wrote basketball diaries and used to run around w DMZ, Warhol, Lou Reed crowd in the 60s-70s NY) people who died and later has the Pixies Hey in it. Movie won me over in the soundtrack alone.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:55 am Seems like you are a Boston guy more than a pixies or punk guy but the new suicide squad reps NYC and Boston by starting out a Jim Carroll’s (poet who wrote basketball diaries and used to run around w DMZ, Warhol, Lou Reed crowd in the 60s-70s NY) people who died and later has the Pixies Hey in it. Movie won me over in the soundtrack alone.
Yep--Beantown born and raised. Not as much into music as I once was but it still hits the spot on occasion. I do love the Pixies, and Kim Deal's Breeders, and Frank Black's solo stuff though.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:51 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:55 am Seems like you are a Boston guy more than a pixies or punk guy but the new suicide squad reps NYC and Boston by starting out a Jim Carroll’s (poet who wrote basketball diaries and used to run around w DMZ, Warhol, Lou Reed crowd in the 60s-70s NY) people who died and later has the Pixies Hey in it. Movie won me over in the soundtrack alone.
Yep--Beantown born and raised. Not as much into music as I once was but it still hits the spot on occasion. I do love the Pixies, and Kim Deal's Breeders, and Frank Black's solo stuff though.
What part of Boston?
“I wish you would!”
OuttaNowhereWregget

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:07 pm
What part of Boston?
Born in Boston proper. Moved around since then--inside and outside 128/95
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

My sister lived in Cambridge for two years met and married a guy from Lexington. Left for San Fran end of 89 early 90. She was getting a masters (drama or theatre I can never recall) at Emerson College and worked Part time at the Fog Art Museum (owned by Harvard where she met my brother in law, ironically they tried to unionize those employees and brother in laws brother crushed them super quickly because the university was his client as a attorney up there) and did some directing at a joint called American Repertory Theatre. Other than various business trips through since that was my main entree into Boston. I’ve hear many stories about the Rat in Harvard square in the 80s from him and them.
Typical Lax Dad

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:23 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:07 pm
What part of Boston?
Born in Boston proper. Moved around since then--inside and outside 128/95
Ok. I like Boston.
“I wish you would!”
OuttaNowhereWregget

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:25 pm I’ve hear many stories about the Rat in Harvard square in the 80s from him and them.
The Rat (short for Rathskellar) was actually in Kenmore Square. But I can imagine you heard many stories. I'm amazed glancing at the Wikipedia article just how many bands played there. I frequented that establishment after high school for a while. A good friend of mine from high school was in an obscure Boston band called The Blackjacks and I would go see him play there with friends. He played a gig there in a band he started after called The Royal Pimps, as well. I roadied for an occasional band there now and again, but mostly I was there as a patron. Long long time ago now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rathskeller
OuttaNowhereWregget

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:33 pm Ok. I like Boston.
Yeah--me too. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else though I rarely go in town any more. What parts of The Olde Towne have you been to?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:49 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:25 pm I’ve hear many stories about the Rat in Harvard square in the 80s from him and them.
The Rat (short for Rathskellar) was actually in Kenmore Square. But I can imagine you heard many stories. I'm amazed glancing at the Wikipedia article just how many bands played there. I frequented that establishment after high school for a while. A good friend of mine from high school was in an obscure Boston band called The Blackjacks and I would go see him play there with friends. He played a gig there in a band he started after called The Royal Pimps, as well. I roadied for an occasional band there now and again, but mostly I was there as a patron. Long long time ago now.

My bad you are correct. I do that frequently with that place for some reason. Will probably screw this up as well but I recall brother in law Josh telling me about seeing Tracy Chapman play around Quincy Markwt back in the day as well.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

There was another band from there I liked used to be called Treat her Right then became Morphine eventually the lead singer died. Saw them not too long before he died and recalled the saxophonist playing two simultaneously (his standard baritone sax and another which I’m pretty sure was alto but this was around 1997 at a Horde tour festival at Vernon Downs racetrack where they were on the small stage as the closing act)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Last note here from wiki page-I’m also a huge fan of camper van Beethoven, then cracker, though they are a Bay Area band so surprised they were prominent at the Rat.
Typical Lax Dad

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:52 pm
Yeah--me too. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else though I rarely go in town any more. What parts of The Olde Towne have you been to?
North end, Back Bay, JP, Ashmont Hill, Kendall Square, Savin Hill, South End, Neponset etc. City has changed over past 30 years that I have been visiting.
“I wish you would!”
OuttaNowhereWregget

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:05 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:52 pm
North end, Back Bay, JP, Ashmont Hill, Kendall Square, Savin Hill, South End, Neponset etc. City has changed over past 30 years that I have been visiting.
Wow—all familiar neighborhoods, four of which I lived in. It sure has changed. I miss what it used to be but development and change were inevitable.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:58 pm

My bad you are correct. I do that frequently with that place for some reason. Will probably screw this up as well but I recall brother in law Josh telling me about seeing Tracy Chapman play around Quincy Markwt back in the day as well.
No biggie--I wasn't as big into the music scene outside of those few years. I really only knew Quincy Marketplace for all the scrumpdillyicious food down there and the other cool parts of the city that were all within easy walking distance like the North End, Government Center, the Waterfront, etc. As I got into my 20's and then got married, I went downtown less and less. I know the music biz was big in an around Boston though. You seem like you really know a lot about it. Who was the first band or artist you liked as a kid?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:36 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:58 pm

No biggie--I wasn't as big into the music scene outside of those few years. I really only knew Quincy Marketplace for all the scrumpdillyicious food down there and the other cool parts of the city that were all within easy walking distance like the North End, Government Center, the Waterfront, etc. As I got into my 20's and then got married, I went downtown less and less. I know the music biz was big in an around Boston though. You seem like you really know a lot about it. Who was the first band or artist you liked as a kid?
One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain! (Jamaican not a Boston scene author)

Hard to recall I liked a lot of punk and 80s new wave pop early, around 5-6th grade discovered all the classic rock stuff and of the main 5-8 artists cream was my favorite. Also had a single year aged interest in borderline hard hair rock, from anthrax to the GNR/Def Leoppard set, but by 7-8th grade you had this culmination of sounds that all and a profound change in our region of the world which included very early Dave Matthew’s/Blues Traveler/Rusted Root/Phish (hence growing a pony tail later in hs which was interesting w playing football) along with this 4-5yr stretch of grunge Nirvana/Pearl Jam and their predecessors like Sonic Youth, Alice In Chains, Bad Brains and Meat Puppets. In early HS kids were bleaching their hair blonde and wearing flannels like crazy. Throw in a maturation period in hip hop sonically and (for better or worse lyrically) going from Young MC and Biz Markie to Wu Tang, NWA, KRS One (maybe I added him because I love him), Tupac and Biggie/JayZ.

All three of those movements were in their own ways counter culture and helped bring along both technical and often emotionally transcendent music from a lot of 80s garbage though I still love me some cheesy new wave music like Major Tom, Modern Love, Take on Me, Man Down Under, A Little Respect, Our House, etc just makes me happy and want to bounce around. But I dove into the stuff behind the stuff. The guys that the now known stars will reference but themselves won’t get on radio (early Liz Phair and PJ Harvey as well as Cowboy Junkies and Concrete Blonde who never get talked about as female artists, Pixies, Meat Puppets, Dead Kennedy’s, The Pogues etc) and it helped having a sister 12yes old in college and grad school until 1989 when you had all that college band rock including REM early or anyone recall the Dead Milkmen, Nutthole Surfers or King Missle (detachable penis?)? So she helped and encouraged me going back 5-10yrs and checking stuff out and she was a theatre outcast so into weird stuff. Got basketball diaries and the stranger to read at 10 & 11 as birthday gifts (thank god she waited until I was 14 to give me The Persecution and Assassination to Jean Paul Marat as told by Marquis de Sade...). Now I listen to everything but some stuf I have a super quick hook like country after the early 80s, pop music unless it harkens a prior era like Blinding Lights, can’t listen real show off or hardcore rap can’t stand Bobby shmurda or Keith Ape and death and drums metal is out unless uber talented Motörhead/megadeath type ability and even then in limited doses. Everything else from classical Spanish guitar to BDP to jam bands to Taj Mahal and David grisman etc.

It’s art it makes me feel things often in ways other mediums can’t. Especially when you catch that special rare live moment .
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The White Stripes

Seven Nation Army

Icky Thump

Fell In Love With A Girl

My Doorbell

You Don't Know What Love Is

From the Basement

Under Amazonian Lights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRXcOg7QXbo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5wkTdVjE1s
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”