Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:00 am Top students at top schools are just better today. Better prepared. More experience in research, internships, etc. More tutoring and prep programs. More extracurriculars. It’s not even close. Today’s top students at top schools are far better than their counterparts of yesteryear. They work harder, too.

I think grading on strict curves to limit the number of “A” grades is just asinine and promotes cutthroat competition. That kind of GARBAGE should be exiled from academia.

It is also unfair. I think much of the “grade inflation” is due to more students doing “A”-quality work.

I earned my four university degrees over a period of more than two decades (with a lot of work in research, clinical medicine, academia, lobbying, and consulting interspersed). I have personally seen the difference in the quality of students from my college years to my later graduate and professional years. In my later university years, the students simply did a lot more in college, were better organized, etc. They worked harder, too. That’s saying something since I went to Hopkins for college.

I don’t begrudge today’s students their “A” grades. They are simply better students these days, and they earned their good grades.

DocBarrister
On this one, I totally agree Doc.

Indeed, I find it perplexing that some posters on here don't understand that competition to get into the most selective schools has grown hugely over the decades since when most of them went to these schools like Hop, Harvard, Stanford, etc. Hugely more applicants with much greater geographic reach competing for admission and enabled by financial aid policies that open the aperture to a much broader demographic with outstanding talent on offer. Much larger population base and very small growth in total admitted students at the finite number of most selective schools.

This isn't a matter of HS GPA and standardized test scores, it's simply far more students from all over the world striving to get into the very top brand schools makes it incredibly difficult for a less "smart" and prepared applicant to get in. With the reduction in legacy admissions benefit (or elimination) and the pressure on athletes to be high academic achievers as well, these most selective schools take fewer and fewer students outside of the top 10% academic students in the world. (Harvard has been mentioned here; their admission rate is regularly below 5%)

And, at the top 10% level, the preparation, as you suggest, is heavily augmented with special tutoring, internships, and other ways of expanding the students' academic exposure pre college. One can argue that below this top level, academic standards and preparation may be no greater or even have slipped, but this is a matter of haves and have nots, where the top students really are way better prepared entering college than in yesteryear. Or just flat out smart as hell from a less advantaged situation.

So, you're right that it makes sense that super high achievers would, on average, continue to be super high achievers in college.

But what some posters are pining for seems to be an older way of thinking about the purpose served in the educational process of such schools. That old school thinking suggests that these schools should 'separate the wheat from the chaff' through forced curve grading, making clear that not all students are high achieving on a relative basis to their classmates. But that's the old school logic, especially applied in math and sciences, that led to extremely low graduation rates with degrees in these majors of those beginning in those majors...high flipping out midstream to other less demanding majors...including at selective schools...

Contrast this approach to a local school, UMBC, that produces more graduates of color who go on to masters, PhD's, etc in the sciences than any other college in the nation...their philosophy, novel at the time, was that their job wasn't to 'separate' but rather to teach...with anyone who they had admitted who desired to achieve in math or science able to do so. Their job was to help them get to high achievement, not discourage them.https://umbc.edu/stories/umbc-graduates ... s-college/
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:57 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:00 am Top students at top schools are just better today. Better prepared. More experience in research, internships, etc. More tutoring and prep programs. More extracurriculars. It’s not even close. Today’s top students at top schools are far better than their counterparts of yesteryear. They work harder, too.

I think grading on strict curves to limit the number of “A” grades is just asinine and promotes cutthroat competition. That kind of GARBAGE should be exiled from academia.

It is also unfair. I think much of the “grade inflation” is due to more students doing “A”-quality work.

I earned my four university degrees over a period of more than two decades (with a lot of work in research, clinical medicine, academia, lobbying, and consulting interspersed). I have personally seen the difference in the quality of students from my college years to my later graduate and professional years. In my later university years, the students simply did a lot more in college, were better organized, etc. They worked harder, too. That’s saying something since I went to Hopkins for college.

I don’t begrudge today’s students their “A” grades. They are simply better students these days, and they earned their good grades.

DocBarrister

Indeed, I find it perplexing that some posters on here don't understand that competition to get into the most selective schools has grown hugely over the decades since when most of them went to these schools like Hop, Harvard, Stanford, etc. Hugely more applicants with much greater geographic reach competing for admission and enabled by financial aid policies that open the aperture to a much broader demographic with outstanding talent on offer. Much larger population base and very small growth in total admitted students at the finite number of most selective schools.

This isn't a matter of HS GPA and standardized test scores, it's simply far more students from all over the world striving to get into the very top brand schools makes it incredibly difficult for a less "smart" and prepared applicant to get in. With the reduction in legacy admissions benefit (or elimination) and the pressure on athletes to be high academic achievers as well, these most selective schools take fewer and fewer students outside of the top 10% academic students in the world. (Harvard has been mentioned here; their admission rate is regularly below 5%)

And, at the top 10% level, the preparation, as you suggest, is heavily augmented with special tutoring, internships, and other ways of expanding the students' academic exposure pre college. One can argue that below this top level, academic standards and preparation may be no greater or even have slipped, but this is a matter of haves and have nots, where the top students really are way better prepared entering college than in yesteryear. Or just flat out smart as hell from a less advantaged situation.

So, you're right that it makes sense that super high achievers would, on average, continue to be super high achievers in college.

But what some posters are pining for seems to be an older way of thinking about the purpose served in the educational process of such schools. That old school thinking suggests that these schools should 'separate the wheat from the chaff' through forced curve grading, making clear that not all students are high achieving on a relative basis to their classmates. But that's the old school logic, especially applied in math and sciences, that led to extremely low graduation rates with degrees in these majors of those beginning in those majors...high flipping out midstream to other less demanding majors...including at selective schools...

Contrast this approach to a local school, UMBC, that produces more graduates of color who go on to masters, PhD's, etc in the sciences than any other college in the nation...their philosophy, novel at the time, was that their job wasn't to 'separate' but rather to teach...with anyone who they had admitted who desired to achieve in math or science able to do so. Their job was to help them get to high achievement, not discourage them.https://umbc.edu/stories/umbc-graduates ... s-college/
Excellent points, MD. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the one school of mine that definitely had the toughest grading … Hopkins … also had BY FAR the worst teaching. As I have stated previously, I have heard things are different now.

By the way, I have lots of nephews and nieces. I frequently tell them that there is no way I would get into any of my schools today. My applications would probably be derided as an insult to the various institutions. ;) Their credentials just blow mine away. I’m amazed by all the incredible things young kids do today.

Back to lacrosse … I think Hopkins will have a top-5 D this season. It may take some time to get all the new pieces to gel, especially at SSDM.

The O will have depth and skill, but I think we lost to graduation a lot of talent that isn’t readily replaceable. As pretty much everyone knows, I think a lot will depend on whether Collison develops into a top tier middie, and whether the coaches let him assume a much larger role in initiating the offense. I am hoping the coaches noticed the types of O that actually made the Final Four last season. None of those offenses played Tulip Ball.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

General comment: One of the more frequently used talking points on the forum is X could do Y if the coaches only let them.

It is seldom if ever the other way around. Example? The coach wants X to run the defense on the field. X for what ever reason does not do it. The coach worked with X but nada. Somehow it is still the coach’s fault when in reality the reason lies with the player. The burden is too often placed on the coaches and not often enough on the player.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:16 am Hopkins had grade deflation (relative to its peers) for years, which contributed to its reputation for being cutthroat. I can't count the times I heard stories of nearly everyone in a class failing an exam. If there's grade inflation now, it'd be a welcome development, IMO.

In any case, this whole discussion appears to be based on a Greek Life pdf from 2019. I've seen some other sources online that suggest the average GPA is lower than 3.8 or whatever. Not sure if the school has published an updated figure, but I can't find one. The pandemic also likely made grades all out of whack.

---

Back to lacrosse — they've now posted farewells on social media to all of the seniors and grad students except: Smith, Melendez, Bauer, Deans, Evans, Moore.

Combine that with the additions of Hackler, Monfort, Staudt, McKee, and Weishaar, you can project a 2025 lineup with a bit more accuracy than you could have a month ago.

A - Melendez, Chauvette, Ayers (maybe Bauer gets some run as well)
M1 - Collison, English, Bauer
M2 - Hackler, McCleary, Evans
M3 - Iler, Rawson, Phillips, Chick, Gregorek, Crogan, Jewell, Sorichetti, etc. etc.
LSM - Deans, Martin, Kaufman, Weishaar (maybe he plays SSDM?)
D - Smith, Kilrain, Brown
SSDM - Monfort, Hackler, Colhoun, Claiborine, DiCicco, Pace, The Mythical Alec Billings
FO - Callahan, McKee, Hobot
G - Staudt

The strength and heart of the team will be that close D line which should remain one of the best in the country. TBD how much support they get from the shorties. Staudt assuming he wins the job should be solid in cage.

Question marks galore on offense but lot of talented pieces to work with and if Melendez approaches his 2023 form then all bets are off.
One of your better posts HF16. Not as good as 51's breakdown of the differences in goaltending between Maryland and Hop in the 10s, but strong.

From strongest to weakest units

Dream a little Memorial Day Dream with Me Caliber
Close D-Smith and Kilrain should be in a dog fight for Schmeisser winner. School needs to pump them up.
LSM-I wasn't impressed with Martin's younger brother last year. Deans is one of the best development stories in years.
Man down long poles-see above. Shortsticks are going to be hunted relentlessly until they can prove they shouldn't be.

Quarterfinal Caliber
Staudt
1st Midfield-They've proven they can get there
Callahan-see above

NCAA Tournament Caliber
Attack-Yes they've been to the quarterfinal dance but chauvette and ayers weren't the reasons we got there last year over the course of the season. Season goes nowhere if Melendez is in 2024 form.
Man up-Collison/Chauvette/Ayers/Melendez/Bauer-guys who've proven they can get to the postseason

"Even Jerry from PJs would not recognize these guys this fall"-Don't know who they are, won't know if they're any good or bad at this level until long after pitchers and catchers report.

Faceoffs after Callahan
Man down-short sticks
Backup attack
2nd midfield
3rd midfield
backup goalie
SSDM
PotomacRiver

Post by PotomacRiver »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVlteodvO6I

Fun highlights of Collison in the OJLL.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister

The irony here is UMBC does actually separate. Their record of most black students going on to earn advanced degrees is due in singular part to their Meyerhoff's scholars program. https://meyerhoff.umbc.edu/

It's an extremely selective merit scholarship program with research advisory resources - hardly open to all graduates of UMBC.

Students today are more prepared due to ample test prep and tutoring resources. But has that translated to significant increases in raw intelligence over time? When I interview students first hand, the answer is no. Especially when they lose said resources in college.
Last edited by norcalhop on Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:16 am Hopkins had grade deflation (relative to its peers) for years, which contributed to its reputation for being cutthroat. I can't count the times I heard stories of nearly everyone in a class failing an exam. If there's grade inflation now, it'd be a welcome development, IMO.

In any case, this whole discussion appears to be based on a Greek Life pdf from 2019. I've seen some other sources online that suggest the average GPA is lower than 3.8 or whatever. Not sure if the school has published an updated figure, but I can't find one. The pandemic also likely made grades all out of whack.

---

Back to lacrosse — they've now posted farewells on social media to all of the seniors and grad students except: Smith, Melendez, Bauer, Deans, Evans, Moore.

Combine that with the additions of Hackler, Monfort, Staudt, McKee, and Weishaar, you can project a 2025 lineup with a bit more accuracy than you could have a month ago.

A - Melendez, Chauvette, Ayers (maybe Bauer gets some run as well)
M1 - Collison, English, Bauer
M2 - Hackler, McCleary, Evans
M3 - Iler, Rawson, Phillips, Chick, Gregorek, Crogan, Jewell, Sorichetti, etc. etc.
LSM - Deans, Martin, Kaufman, Weishaar (maybe he plays SSDM?)
D - Smith, Kilrain, Brown
SSDM - Monfort, Hackler, Colhoun, Claiborine, DiCicco, Pace, The Mythical Alec Billings
FO - Callahan, McKee, Hobot
G - Staudt

The strength and heart of the team will be that close D line which should remain one of the best in the country. TBD how much support they get from the shorties. Staudt assuming he wins the job should be solid in cage.

Question marks galore on offense but lot of talented pieces to work with and if Melendez approaches his 2023 form then all bets are off.
here are more recent figures: https://studentaffairs.jhu.edu/leed/wp- ... Report.pdf. Average GPAs are still astronomical.

https://archive.is/NARZW more info there as well. It's a long developing trend pre-covid.

"Most elite schools cap the share of the graduating class that can receive academic honors. But the caps vary widely, from 25% at Columbia University to up to 60% at Harvard.
Harvard’s number hit 91% in 2001, as highlighted at the time in a Boston Globe article about generous honors policies. Soon after, the school revised its selection process."

91% at Harvard, a true joke back in 2001, long before all this new wave of test prep and tutoring.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

norcalhop wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:41 pm

DocBarrister

The irony here is UMBC does actually separate. Their record of most black students going on to earn advanced degrees is due in singular part to their Meyerhoff's scholars program. https://meyerhoff.umbc.edu/

It's an extremely selective merit scholarship program with research advisory resources - hardly open to all graduates of UMBC.

Students today are more prepared due to ample test prep and tutoring resources. But has that translated to significant increases in raw intelligence over time? When I interview students first hand, the answer is no. Especially when they lose said resources in college.
Not more selective than the most selective schools, including Hop and yet look at their success rate. They compete for the same kids any selective school would like to attract. Note their graduation rates across the board and the overall #'s are substantially superior to similar profile schools in terms of admittance scores.

But sure, Meyerhoff is indeed selective, but the same courses are open to all the students. And they do perform. Different attitude, lots of team learning, and lots of real world practical learning make the courses less theoretical and more "real". Career paths are emphasized.

Back to Hop, Harvard, Stanford, etc what you seem to be ignoring, (maybe you weren't a data scientist or social scientist?) is the impact of some raw statistics. You're correct that the most intelligent kids aren't more intelligent than in years past, it's just that there are so many more of them across the globe and thus the percentage accepted is at a higher and higher bar, given the relative slow growth in # of slots at those selective colleges.

The pool has grown dramatically due to population growth, geographic reach, and financial aid/demographics.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:41 pm

DocBarrister

Not more selective than the most selective schools, including Hop and yet look at their success rate. They compete for the same kids any selective school would like to attract. Note their graduation rates across the board and the overall #'s are substantially superior to similar profile schools in terms of admittance scores.

But sure, Meyerhoff is indeed selective, but the same courses are open to all the students. And they do perform. Different attitude, lots of team learning, and lots of real world practical learning make the courses less theoretical and more "real". Career paths are emphasized.

Back to Hop, Harvard, Stanford, etc what you seem to be ignoring, (maybe you weren't a data scientist or social scientist?) is the impact of some raw statistics. You're correct that the most intelligent kids aren't more intelligent than in years past, it's just that there are so many more of them across the globe and thus the percentage accepted is at a higher and higher bar, given the relative slow growth in # of slots at those selective colleges.

The pool has grown dramatically due to population growth, geographic reach, and financial aid/demographics.
Trying to equate standard UMBC as Meyerhoff is laughable. Meyerhoff scholars have dedicated research advisors and research opportunities not available to other students:

"Program staff use an extensive network of contacts to arrange summer science and engineering internships, opportunities at UMBC and such partner institutions as the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the National Institutes of Health. Many internship hosts become continuing mentor to students."

https://meyerhoff.umbc.edu/scholar-expe ... -research/

These are resources that not every student at the top privates would have at their disposal either.

Indeed, similar programs exist at ivies that enroll dramatically smaller student bodies than UMBC: https://vagelosmls.sas.upenn.edu/

As for statistics, I definitely was not a social scientist but I suspect I'm better than some who have arrived at conclusions citing outdated GPAs on here. You'll have to show me how the numerator quality for Harvard has improved when they have again always been admitting top of the class students with similar test scores.

Sure, the denominator has increased but that alone does not mean the numerator is of higher quality than years past to justify this level of obscene inflation.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

norcalhop wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:32 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:41 pm

DocBarrister

Trying to equate standard UMBC as Meyerhoff is laughable. Meyerhoff scholars have dedicated research advisors and research opportunities not available to other students:

"Program staff use an extensive network of contacts to arrange summer science and engineering internships, opportunities at UMBC and such partner institutions as the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the National Institutes of Health. Many internship hosts become continuing mentor to students."

https://meyerhoff.umbc.edu/scholar-expe ... -research/

These are resources that not every student at the top privates would have at their disposal either.

Indeed, similar programs exist at ivies that enroll dramatically smaller student bodies than UMBC: https://vagelosmls.sas.upenn.edu/

As for statistics, I definitely was not a social scientist but I suspect I'm better than some who have arrived at conclusions citing outdated GPAs on here. You'll have to show me how the numerator quality for Harvard has improved when they have again always been admitting top of the class students with similar test scores.

Sure, the denominator has increased but that alone does not mean the numerator is of higher quality than years past to justify this level of obscene inflation.
I'm not sure what your point is about the Meyerhoff program. Yes, it's a fantastic program, difficult to be selected into, and provides excellent support in various ways. And quite a few other top schools, including some public universities, like UNC and UVA, have special programs to attract elite students and have special support programs.

No argument from me on this. The point is that they achieve tremendous results in a population set that many previously assumed was not capable of such excellence. But you're incorrect about the opportunities for other UMBC students, including in math, sciences, computer sciences etc. They're quite strong, with lots of field work and team work being a keystone of those programs. They've been smart about selecting a few areas where there's corporate and governmental support for career development in the Baltimore-Washington metro area, like cyber security.

I have no affiliation with UMBC, just offering it as a nearby institution which chose a very different path in how they approach their responsibility to teach and encourage rather than separate and discourage. I have much more affinity for Hopkins where I serve on a board. I know a bit about Harvard as my son recently went there and my wife went to HBS, so we spent sometime on that campus in different eras. I also know a bit about Dartmouth, where my wife and I went undergrad.

I have not in any way been citing GPA's or SAT's or any other numerical scoring, so not sure why you're pushing on that, at least with me. I'm simply pointing out that say, Harvard and other Ivies, 50 (my era)-100 years ago had their pick of wealthy, predominantly Northeastern, white students. Today there are many more such people from that region PLUS all demographics from all over the world. Tremendous growth in the pool. They accept a much smaller % of such applicants from the pool that even imagines they have a chance of acceptance. So, those they do accept and admit undeniably are a more selective set than decades ago. This affords them, and places like my alma mater, Dartmouth, the latitude to turn away large numbers of "perfect" SAT applicants (if that's a sound measure) to accept instead those applicants at the very top 2% of academic excellence who demonstrate some additional exceptional quality that differentiates them from others...at least in the view of the admissions committee. Of course, they also accept many such 'perfect' SATs and near perfect SAT's, but they don't consider such numerical scores as the singularly most important attributes predictive of future success at their school and beyond.

If you polled Ivy (and likely Hop) graduates of 50 years ago, a significant % would be skeptical of the likelihood that their academic performance in HS would be admitted today, especially absent some other special attribute (like say, lax prowess!). "Well-rounded" doesn't cut it as legacy admit benefits decline or are eliminated and the pool of exceptional has grown so much.

Indeed, I recall many older Dartmouth alums in my era complaining rather bitterly that the College would be impossible for them to be admitted to, their sons being turned away...the 'blame' was on the advent of coeducation which undeniably increased the pool of qualified applicants (plus population growth, geographic reach, and beginnings of better financial aid). My future wife and I were in the 4th class of coeducation with women just 25% of that class. The women were flat out rockstars. By the time we graduated the classes were almost even with women to men. (BTW, the women's D1 sports teams were rather terrific too!)

I'm simply saying that as the pool has grown way, way faster than the number of admission slots, the selectivity has gone up in kind.

None of that is to say that college students are actually any more mature or wise than they were 50 years ago, etc; they're just as impatient and sophomoric in their maturity than as at any prior time. But at the most selective schools, the selectivity is indeed much higher.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

God who gives a sh1t
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Given that this has been discussed for 3/4/5 pages of this thread I feel like I should care about this GPA thing but given it's been probably 30 years or so since I was last in an official class room I simply don't. Academics has always been on the plus side of the ledger for the university and Hopkins lacrosse and it will continue to be whether grades are inflated or deflated like the Patriot footballs.

I would add to OC's comments on coaches vs players to say it is often a factor as to whether the athlete is physically capable of implementing plays or concepts - as in this nonsensical notion that all Hopkins had to do was decide to be more aggressive in dodging. I think Collison's evolution needs to involve Taking care of the ball a little better (18 TOs per year for a middie is a bit high) and figuring out how to set teammates to score. He would also benefit greatly from an upright English or someone that can create a slide so he's the second slide where if it's late he'll have a distinct advantage.

'06 the problem with your latest analysis -while certainly pointing out team related questionmarks - not hard BTW - is twofold. First, as the pandemic backlog really starts to dissipate - virtually every team has these issues. Second, again, you don't know what you don't know. Show me the posts from 3 years ago where Everyone KNEW Degnon was penciled in at 40+ goals a year for the next 3 seasons or that they KNEW Angelus would replace DeSimone at X and produce high 50's/60 point seasons. SO I have no idea with certainty what exactly Ayers and Chauvette and others will produce in their likely increased roles - have to wait and find out. If they can move the ball and draw some slides - Chauvette should be fine. What happens at X behind the goal is a bigger questionmark - might turn out OK or it might be Bauer.

My Koleton Marquis player for this year is Sorichetti - I think some - with the late switch of Chauvette - forget he was the 40th ranked player in the IL 100 (doesn't mean anything in and of itself but he was clearly recognized as a high quality recruit). I think - after not playing a second in '24 - he either gets a role or we may not see him in Hopkins Blue in '26 and with Chauvette around it will probably need to be at midfield.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Alright moving on as the discussion is getting sophomoric. Biggest question mark to me is who replaces Angelus as the QB on attack. TBD on who that will be. Ayers would be the natural slot in but not sure if he has the passing ability just yet.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:03 am 06 the problem with your latest analysis -while certainly pointing out team related questionmarks - not hard BTW - is twofold. First, as the pandemic backlog really starts to dissipate - virtually every team has these issues. Second, again, you don't know what you don't know. Show me the posts from 3 years ago where Everyone KNEW Degnon was penciled in at 40+ goals a year for the next 3 seasons or that they KNEW Angelus would replace DeSimone at X and produce high 50's/60 point seasons. SO I have no idea with certainty what exactly Ayers and Chauvette and others will produce in their likely increased roles - have to wait and find out. If they can move the ball and draw some slides - Chauvette should be fine. What happens at X behind the goal is a bigger questionmark - might turn out OK or it might be Bauer.

My Koleton Marquis player for this year is Sorichetti - I think some - with the late switch of Chauvette - forget he was the 40th ranked player in the IL 100 (doesn't mean anything in and of itself but he was clearly recognized as a high quality recruit). I think - after not playing a second in '24 - he either gets a role or we may not see him in Hopkins Blue in '26 and with Chauvette around it will probably need to be at midfield.
51-it's nice to talk about lacrosse-I pointed out awhile ago that forever Stevens in LM has done years in review for top 25 teams where he calculated both percentage of scoring a team was graduating and percentage of starts. That allowed fans like us a sense of what different programs we don't follow as closely were losing. They changed the format this year so it isn't clear to all except the most eagle eyed of program followers how much each program has lost by the numbers. I made the point you made about all teams taking significant hits to graduation, not just Hopkins. To the naked eye UNC seems like a program returning a lot. You are very right-Hopkins may not have the vets as last season, but this isn't 2014 where hopkins graduated a ton and was starting with a lot of new pieces while other rivals maybe were not.

Next February lacrosse is going to probably be some of the ugliest in the sports history because of what feels like some of the greatest attrition across the board.

I understand PM's comments for years that the Petro recruited kids on the team were his players because he wanted them (see the murphy kid he got rid of) but this should also be a season where we across the field see kids who were recruited in hs or as transfers by PM AND were not early recruits. I do not know/think we have any of those left now. Maybe Smith or Bauer.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If you're bored and want to get a peek of some of the talent the next two years, they uploaded full games from the Committed Combine, which is a training camp/tournament for many of the best rising college freshmen and HS seniors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuZcgLa ... sGamefilms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi9npJG ... sGamefilms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvgbZG8 ... sGamefilms

JHU players were on team "Rebel" (red jerseys):

#3 Dylan Bleckiki (2025 attack though think he may reclass to be a '26)
#4 Max Wickersham (2025 attack/mid)
#5 Liam Gregorek (2024 attack/mid)
#7 Sean Crogan (2024 mid)
#8 Liam Burke (2024 mid)
#19 Patrick Hiebert (2025 defense)
#20 Gavin Fitzpatrick (2025 defense)
#25 Dash Lamitie (2025 goalie)

All future Jays acquitted themselves well but was impressed by the three middies — Gregorek (who mostly played attack), Crogan, and Burke. Really liked how Gregorek moves off ball and as a dodger he reminds me a bit of McAdorey on Duke. Not very big but pretty quick and explosive, not afraid to throw the skip pass. Crogan and Burke played everywhere likely out of necessity — offense, defense, faceoffs. Both looked like two of the better athletes on the field. They each had a bunch of goals.

Won't see them till fall 2025 but also liked what I saw from Lamitie in cage (was named one of the event's MVPs and is likely a top 2 goalie in the class) and Chaminade defenseman Fitzpatrick who was great off the ground.

Between McCleary, Crogan, Gregorek, and Burke coming this fall and the guys already waiting in the wings (Sorichetti, Iler if/when healthy, Jewell, Chick, Rawson, etc.) and spots for the taking in the offense top 9, you've got to think some of these guys are going to earn significant roles this year.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:37 pm but this isn't 2014 where hopkins graduated a ton and was starting with a lot of new pieces
Thank you for proving my point. 2014 is a great example of you don't know what you don't know until it happens. What did you know about 2014? - you knew the entire attack was returning and it was of a high level - Wells/Brown/Benn. At the mid-field these new pieces so outperformed their experienced counterparts from 2013 it wasn't even close. Now of course 2013 saw the incredible dysfunction of the rolling suspensions but here's what left the room after 2013 at mid-field (not even really going to address Greeley since he was on his second ACL repair and just a shell of what he could have been) - Palmer 25 pts 19% shooting - Ranagan 23 pts 23% shooting Coppersmith 18 pts 21 shooting.

Here's what 2014 brought you - Cattoni 35 points - Guida 33 pts - Reed 24 points - Crawley 18 points - You KNEW that was going to happen right? End result a team that started 6-0 - lost to Syracuse by 2/UVA in OT/UNC by 4 and Loyola by 3 - then after falling behind National Champion Jordan Wolfe led Duke 6-0 in the quarters in the first 9 minutes - scored 10 of the next 16 goals to cut it to 2 with half of the third remaining. Wolfe immediately took over and Duke was a much better team but it was interesting for a bit.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Xanders says crawley has his first transfer-a kid from army with a few years remaining. I could see crawley going to hpu being a good thing for some kids at Hopkins that PM didn't believe had a future at the school and were looking for a place where they had some familiarity. I have sincere doubts a kid with a future at Hopkins lacrosse would transfer to hpu.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:59 am Xanders says crawley has his first transfer-a kid from army with a few years remaining. I could see crawley going to hpu being a good thing for some kids at Hopkins that PM didn't believe had a future at the school and were looking for a place where they had some familiarity. I have sincere doubts a kid with a future at Hopkins lacrosse would transfer to hpu.
You're the only person on the planet who cares or is even thinking about this
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:12 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:59 am Xanders says crawley has his first transfer-a kid from army with a few years remaining. I could see crawley going to hpu being a good thing for some kids at Hopkins that PM didn't believe had a future at the school and were looking for a place where they had some familiarity. I have sincere doubts a kid with a future at Hopkins lacrosse would transfer to hpu.
Yes because people looking for changes in careers never follow people they've previously had a connection with. Also there's now 60 kids on a team where only 20-25 get regular playing time and 10-15 of the jobs are already spoken for so yeah there's a chance that kids 60-40 on the roster might be wondering in a few months if they'd rather spend the rest of their college careers watching other kids play lacrosse or going somewhere warmer with easier academics, much better looking girls and a chance to play big minutes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:12 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:12 am
Yes because people looking for changes in careers never follow people they've previously had a connection with. Also there's now 60 kids on a team where only 20-25 get regular playing time and 10-15 of the jobs are already spoken for so yeah there's a chance that kids 60-40 on the roster might be wondering in a few months if they'd rather spend the rest of their college careers watching other kids play lacrosse or going somewhere warmer with easier academics, much better looking girls and a chance to play big minutes.
You're proving my point by continuing to drone on and on about something that no one is engaging with you on

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”