NFL

General Chatter
AOD

Re: NFL

Post by AOD »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:28 am
Philadelphia fans have proven to be POS historically .

This is another ignorant statement, but we'll that aside for now.

Are you saying Dick Allen's Philadelphia experience had nothing to do with race? Are you saying it had nothing to do with race relations?

When you "spent time" with Dick, did he mention he was the first professional black baseball player in the state of Arkansas back in 1963? How was he received there at that time? Was he scarred by that experience?

Dick's treatment by some Philadelphia fans was awful, but that was not the treatment he received from ALL Philadelphia fans or even MOST Philadelphia fans. And on his second tour in Philadelphia, he was a fan and player favorite. If you happen to "spend time" with Mike Schmidt, just ask him.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Damar speaks out about his future and what actually happened: https://twitter.com/realstewpeters/stat ... 79489?s=20
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

NFL players have a life expectancy of 55 years: study

https://www.cp24.com/nfl-players-have-a ... y-1.628069

A University of North Carolina study is painting a sobering portrait of head trauma and the long-term affects on professional football players who take thousands of hits to the head over their careers.

In what may be the most stunning revelation contained in the study, doctors determined that the [average] life expectancy for all pro football players, from quarterbacks to kickers, is 55 years, while some insurance providers say it is 51 years.

Conducted by the Matthew A. Gfeller Sport-Related Traumatic Brain Injury Research Center at UNC, the study found that repeatedly concussed NFL players have five times the rate of mild cognitive impairment than the average person, while retired NFLers suffer from Alzheimer's disease at a 37 per cent higher rate.

Shocking.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:55 am NFL players have a life expectancy of 55 years: study

https://www.cp24.com/nfl-players-have-a ... y-1.628069

A University of North Carolina study is painting a sobering portrait of head trauma and the long-term affects on professional football players who take thousands of hits to the head over their careers.

In what may be the most stunning revelation contained in the study, doctors determined that the [average] life expectancy for all pro football players, from quarterbacks to kickers, is 55 years, while some insurance providers say it is 51 years.

Conducted by the Matthew A. Gfeller Sport-Related Traumatic Brain Injury Research Center at UNC, the study found that repeatedly concussed NFL players have five times the rate of mild cognitive impairment than the average person, while retired NFLers suffer from Alzheimer's disease at a 37 per cent higher rate.

Shocking.
Ali Marpet had been thinking about his future since the day he signed his second contract. A rib cage issue and two concussions, the second one really bothering him made it an easy call even though he left over $10mm gtd remaining of $22mm total and one more year for the full pension by retiring mid contract at year 8.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:54 pm
Ali Marpet had been thinking about his future since the day he signed his second contract. A rib cage issue and two concussions, the second one really bothering him made it an easy call even though he left over $10mm gtd remaining of $22mm total and one more year for the full pension by retiring mid contract at year 8.

I don't blame him in the least. Am so glad the League now pays the athletes enough money to be able to retire early unlike the past where they had to play for years in order to amass a decent pension.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

NFL Dad killed in house explosion: https://www.instagram.com/p/CwSw9dxJOyZ/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

My annual surefire suggestion to the football minds. Send your QBs to baseball camp, put 'em at SS and 2B. Teach them to play those positions. Lot of different kinds of throws being made from those positions from different positions. There's a lot of baseball in Mahomes' throws, all QBs should be able to do that. Send your young QB boys to baseball camp and they'll learn more than just plant your feet and square your shoulders. Football minds...I think they're in the dark ages, leave a lot of creativity on the table.
Chiefs-Lyons, good opener.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Rodgers out on his first drive. Will the NYJ’s luck ever turn around? Did Namath sell the team’s soul when he guaranteed SBIII?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Some in depth looks at Jets fans tonight: https://instagram.com/barstoolsports?ig ... BiNWFlZA==
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Russel Wilson 0-1.
Zach Wilson 1-0.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

:lol: :lol:

~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
OuttaNowhereWregget

Preview of Bills/Pats and a look at the Pathetic Sate of the Patriots

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Patriots-Bills preview: Buffalo's lip service to Pats is telling

The shoe is officially on the other foot entering Sunday's AFC East clash.

By Tom E. Curran, Patriots Insider • October 20, 2023

Remember when we used to hand-wring over “unimpressive” wins by the Patriots? Last decade was full of those moments. Edge the Jets? Struggle to finish off the Dolphins? A week of caterwauling would ensue. Expectations have dropped. It’s impossible to expect a win Sunday against the Bills. A “hung in there pretty good” performance also seems a long shot. The goal now? Don’t get boat-raced. Try to at least have the Bills’ taillights in sight when the fourth quarter starts.

Imagine a world in which the Patriots' halftime deficits in four of their five losses is a combined 79-9 (Raiders 13-3, Saints 21-0, Cowboys 28-3, Dolphins 17-3). In the other loss – the opener against the Eagles – they went down 16-0 in the first quarter. That’s 95-9 combined in the five losses. Week after week. Against good teams and not-so-good teams. The Patriots cannot get out of their own way after kickoff. Asked Friday whether there was anything the team could do to get off to a “faster start”, a sadly defeated-sounding Bill Belichick said, “I don’t know how much more we could put into it. We emphasize it a lot, we’ve looked at it every week and we’ve given it a lot of attention. So, we’ll see what the results are. "But, yeah we look at it a lot, talk about it a lot, we try to put ourselves in the best possible position at the start of the game as we can. Which I’m sure every team does that with, too. But, obviously needs to be better. We are certainly aware of it and we are working to make it better.”

So what, with an injury report 20 names long, leads one to expect any different Sunday against the Bills? A franchise that’s 6-1 against the Patriots in its last seven meetings (the one loss was the wind game in 2021, avenged a few weeks later with a 47-17 playoff drubbing)? Diplomatic words spilled from the mouths of Bills players and coaches this week.
"We've got great respect for the Patriots and what they've accomplished. They have a deep history of winning and that's not an easy thing to do in this league," said Bills’ head coach Sean McDermott. "Our focus and sole focus needs to be on this week's game."

"They could easily have won a few of those games, so for us we understand that it's in the division, it's a Bill Belichick-coached team, Bill Belichick-coached defense," said center Mitch Morse. "For us, we know that we need all hands on deck, we're gonna see multiple looks, we're gonna have to make in-game adjustments and we're gonna have to battle, because these guys are very well-coached and play very well."

Mitch. They aren’t. They don’t. As we’ve explored before on multiple occasions, well-coached teams don’t start flat, have a predictable bout of competency in the middle of a few games, then come unglued at the end. Poorly-coached teams do that. And teams that play well don’t start the season 1-5.

The Bills are comfortably within the top quarter of teams right now. The Patriots are in the bottom quarter and probably closer to 32nd than 24th. Is it any solace that the Patriots have played the second-hardest schedule in football with opponents having a combined winning percentage of .622? (The 1-5 Giants have played the hardest schedule with a .629 opponent winning percentage.) Probably not. It hasn’t mattered whether they’re playing upper-crust teams or mediocrities. The Patriots cannot block well enough. The poor blocking has led to Mac Jones making panic decisions. And he panics because he doesn’t have enough physical skill to extract himself from trouble and doesn’t have enough surrounding talent at the skill positions to bail him out. It could improve this week, but as we’ve seen the last three games, the Patriots aren’t a spunky underdog nobody wants to play. They’re a doormat. A “get right” date. The perfect team to schedule for Homecoming. The Patriots culture is either extremely dormant or recently deceased. Either way, it’s been gone since the tail end of 2021 – right after the “wind game” as a matter of fact – and opponents that genuflect publicly to the team they were are now licking their chops for payback against the team they’ve become.

Sunday could get ugly. The patience of the fanbase has run out. They were expecting Belichick would turn the team out of 2022’s skid into gross mediocrity. Instead, head-scratching roster decisions coupled with mostly awful drafts have left them with a worse crop of offensive players. Plus, the team has an injury report as long as a grown man’s arm.
The team’s situation at quarterback is a microcosm of everything. A stationary, mediocre-armed Jones is trying to survive behind a porous offensive line without an NFL-level right tackle. There’s no slot receiver. There’s no third-down back. Their presumed No. 1 receiver, DeVante Parker, would be a No. 3 on an average team. Their Jakobi Meyers replacement – JuJu Smith-Schuster – has been ineffective or injured all year. Jones is a bundle of nerves relegated to throwing sideways because they can’t trust or protect him. The team cut Brian Hoyer in the offseason, meaning they had no veteran backup to cover for Jones is he was hurt or ineffective (not that Hoyer was a silver bullet, by any means). Last week, they had undrafted rookie Malik Cunningham as the game day backup to Jones. He’s not there because he can throw. He’s there because, since the line is so bad, at least he can move around. He’s also there because they soured on Jones’ incumbent backup, Bailey Zappe.

In 2014, when the Patriots drafted Jimmy Garoppolo to back up Tom Brady, Belichick explained his reasoning.
“In our organization I don’t think we would put together a team the way Indianapolis did it when they lost (Peyton Manning) Manning and they go 0-16, 1-15 or whatever it was. “I don’t think that’s really what we’re looking for. Unfortunately when we lost Tom (Brady) in 2008 — we had a player that could step in and we won 11 games. We want to be competitive even if something happens to a player at any position. "I think depth is always important. You never know when you’re going to need it. But I don’t think we’d be happy going 1-15 if we had an injury at one position. But other people have different philosophies. I’m just saying that the contrast to that example. I don’t think that’s really what we’re trying to do.”

They surely weren’t trying to mismanage the quarterback position this badly. But they did. Like they mismanaged a lot of things the past few years. Just don’t expect the Bills to shed any tears on the Patriots' behalf Sunday.

Prediction: Bills 37, Patriots 16

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nfl/new ... bos_twt_mn
DMac

Post by DMac »

But for God's sake be sure to tune in and watch the snail's paced game in which you'll get fifteen minutes of action in the sixty-minute game which'll take three hours to play. The religion that is football is a baffling phenomenon, it's a horrible game riddled with yellow flags, delay after delay, and way too heavily influenced by the non-participants in stripes (Houston took it in the asz big time in the Houston-Texas game yesterday on a horrible spot of the ball which made it 4th down rather than first when they were close to the goal and driving to tie the game. Got phukked hard and every commentator agreed....didn't care who won it).
A game which is coached by minds still in the dark ages that lack creativity and innovation and are far too willing to give their opponent the ball (yup, punt it from the 50 on 4th and 1...brilliant). I watch it but find it much more frustrating and boring than enjoyable anymore. These fans are the coveted casual lacrosse fan who tell us how to speed up and improve our game....and too many idiots listen to them.
DMac

Re: Preview of Bills/Pats and a look at the Pathetic Sate of the Patriots

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:53 am

Pats 29 - Bills 25, final.
Absolutely love that!!!!
(Not that the Pats won but that the Bills lost.)

On to the Kansas Swifty Chiefs v LAC game.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Preview of Bills/Pats and a look at the Pathetic Sate of the Patriots

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:30 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:53 am

Pats 29 - Bills 25, final.
Absolutely love that!!!!
(Not that the Pats won but that the Bills lost.)

On to the Kansas Swifty Chiefs v LAC game.
You know that prediction was Tom E. Curran's, right?

You don't like the upstate NY Buffalo Bills? Just curious why you're glad they lost.
OuttaNowhereWregget

New Contract for Bill Belichick

A reported new contract for Bill Belichick raises questions: Who planted it, and why was it leaked now?

By Dan Shaughnessy Globe Staff October 22, 2023

Hours before the Patriots and Bills kicked off at Gillette Stadium Sunday, Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reported that (according to “sources”) New England’s ownership signed Bill Belichick to a “lucrative multi-year new contract’' during the offseason.

Say what?

Media folks and fans never know anything about Belichick’s contract status. Within the walls of Fort Foxborough, Bill’s deal is guarded like the nuclear codes. A gameday thunderclap about his new contract predictably triggered rampant speculation regarding the timing and motivation of this news. Who dropped the dime? Belichick or Bob Kraft?

At first glance, this news bomb seems to be a Belichick plant. Why would ownership want this out there in the storm of a 1-5 start with Belichick taking fire from every corner of the NFL universe? Seriously. Are we supposed to believe that while Kraft was apologizing to fans in the wake of last year’s 8-9 flameout — while he was big-footing his longtime coach with an announcement that a real offensive coordinator would be hired — he quietly gave Bill a new deal? Did Kraft really reward Belichick after Bill’s stubborn stunt with Matt Patricia and Joe Judge running the offense and damaging second-year quarterback Mac Jones last season?

Then again . . . the notion of having things both ways is characteristically Kraft-life. Maybe Bob leaked the news. The Patriots’ 82-year-old owner wants to be loved by all of you, is studiously conflict-avoidant, and hasn’t been in a dustup with his head coach since his acrimonious split with Bill Parcells 27 years ago. That public squabble split the fan base, ultimately led Kraft to Belichick (after three years of Pete Carroll), and taught the owner to steer clear of meddling with his head coach. While Parcells has been erased from Patriot history (no Pats Hall of Fame for you, Tuna!), Belichick has been the beneficiary of Kraft’s non-interference.

Kraft did not accept any responsibility for letting Tom Brady leave, and certainly doesn’t want to be blamed if Belichick ultimately overtakes Don Shula for the all-time NFL coaching victory record while working for another franchise. Typically ubiquitous and comment-happy, the owner has been dodging reporters lately. Perhaps now the bloodthirsty throng will leave Kraft alone for a while. On the surface, the news seems to give Belichick more clout with his players. A new deal means Bill isn’t going anywhere, no matter how badly this season goes. Leaking this could be Belichick’s way of telling everyone he will be in line for a big, fat buyout if Kraft wants to fire him.

On the other hand (there is always ‘’on the other hand” when guessing about motivations in Foxborough), a new deal for Bill gives Kraft some trade capital. And maybe a soft landing if everyone agrees Belichick must go. I was gobsmacked last weekend when Patriots family member Tedy Bruschi said he wants his coach to walk away. I believe something like that can be said by a Pats insider only if stamped “I’m Bill Belichick and I approve this message.’’ In this scenario, Kraft and Belichick could part ways and everyone could still save face; Bill goes to another town to get the Shula record and Bob can use Bill’s contract as a trade chip. Back in 2000, Kraft parted with a precious first-round pick to get Belichick from the Jets. Now with his Hall of Fame coach under contract for at least one more year, Kraft could trade Belichick instead of firing him.

It’s all first-guessing and second-guessing on a day like this. In good times and bad, when it comes to the Patriots, the only sure thing is that nobody knows anything.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/10/22/ ... eaked-now/
OuttaNowhereWregget

Such a great line from the above article...

“Media folks and fans never know anything about Belichick’s contract status. Within the walls of Fort Foxborough, Bill’s deal is guarded like the nuclear codes.”

So true.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”