The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
foreverlax

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by foreverlax »

Historically, Excessive Consumption was a .01% thing...somehow the American Dream has become the poster child for financial stupidity.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“The U.S. deficit is on track to exceed $1 trillion this year — the highest level since 2012, when much of the country was still climbing out of the recession. In fact, deficits have never been so high outside of wartime or an economic recession.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/ ... mp-1426696
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
a fan

Post by a fan »

Ah, you need an update. Trump's about to add another massive spending bill.

Anyone else notice the board's Republicans never post on this thread? :lol:
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Trump’s gonna pay that debt off before he leaves. He promised.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Nary a peep from the Tea Party either now that their bogeyman is out of the White House.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

holmes435 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:31 am Nary a peep from the Tea Party either now that their bogeyman is out of the White House.
true Taxed Enough Already knew this about "him" during the Presidential primaries. No way anyone that claims to be a CONservative can justify what tRump just did. What a horrible deal, for the awesomest, probably the best evah, deal maker there evvah was.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:47 pm Ah, you need an update. Trump's about to add another massive spending bill.

...it's not a (R) vs (D) thing anymore. Can't buy more guns without buying more butter.

Not to worry. New taxes on the 1% will supposedly fix it.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

old salt wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:38 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:47 pm Ah, you need an update. Trump's about to add another massive spending bill.

...it's not a (R) vs (D) thing anymore. Can't buy more guns without buying more butter.

Not to worry. New taxes on the 1% will supposedly fix it.
When Qatar, House of Saud, Turkey (??) buy more guns, with US Congress approval, who is the check made out too?

exactly
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:38 pm ...it's not a (R) vs (D) thing anymore. Can't buy more guns without buying more butter.
That's the same excuse we've been hearing for 20 years.

We "have" to let the Dems get free stuff if we want our shiny bombs.

We "have" to let the R's get shiny bombs if we want our domestic programs.

As if R's and D's constituents don't directly benefit from all this borrowed spending. :roll:

old salt wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:38 pm Not to worry. New taxes on the 1% will supposedly fix it.
The first thing I'd tell the Dems if I was a consultant. is to never bring up taxes again. Folks like you don't like taxes. Give people like you what they want: keep spending, and borrow every cent. It works. Look how happy Republican voters are!

Let your grandkids deal with the consequences. One thing I've learned about a nation filled with Republicans who swear they like fiscal responsibility is that they're freaking liars. They want the party to keep going, and future Americans be damned. Who cares about the future anyway? You'll all be dead by the time the bill arrives at the table.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:24 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:38 pm ...it's not a (R) vs (D) thing anymore. Can't buy more guns without buying more butter.

As if R's and D's constituents don't directly benefit from all this borrowed spending. :roll:

old salt wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:38 pm Not to worry. New taxes on the 1% will supposedly fix it.
The first thing I'd tell the Dems if I was a consultant. is to never bring up taxes again. Folks like you don't like taxes. Give people like you what they want: keep spending, and borrow every cent. It works. Look how happy Republican voters are!

Let your grandkids deal with the consequences. One thing I've learned about a nation filled with Republicans who swear they like fiscal responsibility is that they're freaking liars. They want the party to keep going, and future Americans be damned. Who cares about the future anyway? You'll all be dead by the time the bill arrives at the table.
+ 1
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

EALMvJlXYAAYwQB.jpg
EALMvJlXYAAYwQB.jpg (73.32 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
There are a few things going well in the economy - you can see in this graph how the election of Trump just made SUCH as substantial change in the unemployment rate...

You can certainly argue that at least he and his administration have not yet quite screwed it up...
a fan

Post by a fan »

While Trump is certainly responsible for signing the three (soon to be four) massive new spending bills, as well as the tax cuts....

...he couldn't have done this without the Republicans in Congress.

It gets back to one of my previous unanswered questions: if the Republicans aren't the party of small, limited government with fiscal prudence....then what do they stand for in 2019?

No one can answer that.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:30 pm

+ 1
44% of US households pay no Fed income tax. I'm all for the elimination of most deductions. Trump's "tax cut" resulted in a significant tax increase for me, but I'm ok with that, because it was caused by the elimination of allowable deductions.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:49 pm

+ 1
44% of US households pay no Fed income tax. I'm all for the elimination of most deductions. Trump's "tax cut" resulted in a significant tax increase for me, but I'm ok with that, because it was caused by the elimination of allowable deductions.
Many people are of the opinion that deficits don't matter.
“I wish you would!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Take it a step further and get rid of income tax altogether and (I think I may have said this before) ..... go to a federal sales tax.

To soften the blow for the poor (I can't believe I am going to say this...) perhaps this is where UBI would be useful. You figure out what folks who make under the poverty line would pay in federal sales tax each year, and cut them a check ahead of time - and call it UBI if that makes the dems happy. Call is a tax PRE-fund if that makes the R's happy. call it a pony, I don't care - but take the special interests out of the tax business.

btw - I want trademark rights on the term "tax pre-fund".... ;)
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:52 pm

+ 1
On LP I outlined my proposals for means testing Soc Sec & Medicare. I also laid out how we could downsize the military if we become truly isolationist, stop playing globocop & our allies carry their share of the burden (as currently illustrated in the Persian Gulf). I bet afan remembers.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:00 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:52 pm

+ 1
On LP I outlined my proposals for means testing Soc Sec & Medicare. I also laid out how we could downsize the military if we become truly isolationist, stop playing globocop & our allies carry their share of the burden (as currently illustrated in the Persian Gulf). I bet afan remembers.
I am all for cutting spending that is not productive.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

HooDat wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:56 pm Take it a step further and get rid of income tax altogether and (I think I may have said this before) ..... go to a federal sales tax.
I'm assuming you mean a consumption tax, and anytime a good or service is exchanged, a tax is levied?

Sales tax connotes only retailers pay in.
HooDat wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:56 pm To soften the blow for the poor (I can't believe I am going to say this...) perhaps this is where UBI would be useful.
You can do anything you like for the poor. We'd be swimming in money if we installed this tax.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:00 pm On LP I outlined my proposals for means testing Soc Sec & Medicare. I also laid out how we could downsize the military if we become truly isolationist, stop playing globocop & our allies carry their share of the burden (as currently illustrated in the Persian Gulf). I bet afan remembers.
I do!

I also remember our discussion on the 44% of Americans not paying Federal Income tax, and how neither of us thinks that's either fair, or sustainable.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

a fan wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:06 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:00 pm On LP I outlined my proposals for means testing Soc Sec & Medicare. I also laid out how we could downsize the military if we become truly isolationist, stop playing globocop & our allies carry their share of the burden (as currently illustrated in the Persian Gulf). I bet afan remembers.
I do!

I also remember our discussion on the 44% of Americans not paying Federal Income tax, and how neither of us thinks that's either fair, or sustainable.
They may not pay that particular tax, but generally because of payroll taxes, state sales taxes, property taxes, etc. that 44% pays a larger share of their income in taxes that many of the people with higher means.

Return to “POLITICS”