Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Deacon022

Re: Recruiting

Post by Deacon022 »

carrollax wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:25 pm My daughter went through this several years ago and agree that (a) it was very stressful and she was happy when it was over (b) hardest part was "breaking up" with coaches. I don't think she would have been able to make an intelligent decision in the 8th grade. Process is far from perfect and too much pressure from social media IMHO but I prefer today versus 6-7 years ago. There is a fit for everyone and everyone's timeline is different. My daughters friends all had different timelines and at all levels (D1, D2, D3). Patience is key but hard for 11th graders and parents to understand when they are in the middle of it. Finding the right fit is key (college fit 1st, lacrosse fit 2nd...and a distant second).
The anxiety my daughter had for six hours yesterday tryin to get up the moxy to call a coach and tell her she is looking elsewhere. 6 hours of angst for a 45 second phone call. Coach was, as most are, wonderful about it. Thanked my daughter. Said I know you’re gonna do great and good luck with the process. The smile on my daughter when she got off the phone and came downstairs. “She was sooooooo nice. “
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:46 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:33 pm IL revealed 20 more players they deemed 5 star recruits. Interesting that this year and last year Syracuse has been the quickest team out of the gates with multiple 5 star commitments. Still think they land Spallina but the longer this goes..the higher the likely hood she might actually go somewhere else.
I still think it’s Clemson. They offered her a full ride. She’s gonna take it.
Every year on the club side- there is whispers of a full ride for player X, player Y, player Z. I doubt a member of the Spallina family is on her posting this offer so how would you know that the offer is a full ride?

There are 12 scholarships. Maybe it builds up to a full ride by the last year (I have seen that before), but I really doubt that it’s a full ride.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

With the advent of NIL’s full rides for the top players are happening.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Stoltz to UNC.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Starting to hear some chatter about AS and Stony Brook..CUSE/UNC/SB/Clemson seem to be the final four with BC on the outside. I see this as a CUSE/UNC battle with her going to CUSE. but If she doesn't commit next week this might drag on and the longer it drags, bad news for Syracuse. if she goes to UNCover CUSE and SB it would be a historic coup for Levy not just cause of those connections but she would have gotten the #1 player three years in a row
Last edited by Kleizaster on Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

flushlax77 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:25 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:33 pm IL revealed 20 more players they deemed 5 star recruits. Interesting that this year and last year Syracuse has been the quickest team out of the gates with multiple 5 star commitments. Still think they land Spallina but the longer this goes..the higher the likely hood she might actually go somewhere else.
Every year on the club side- there is whispers of a full ride for player X, player Y, player Z. I doubt a member of the Spallina family is on her posting this offer so how would you know that the offer is a full ride?

There are 12 scholarships. Maybe it builds up to a full ride by the last year (I have seen that before), but I really doubt that it’s a full ride.
Full rides are very rare in LAX. Only reserved for truly exceptional players. Your average #1 recruit doesn't get a full ride. They might get upwards of 60-70% coverage. The rest is split among the remaining recruits. But with that said as someone else mentioned, NIL can be used to inject a little extra cash into the pot. So it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Clemson offered her a full ride which might be one of the reasons why she's considering them in the first place.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:49 pm Starting to hear some chatter about AS and Stony Brook..CUSE/UNC/SB/Clemson seem to be the final four with BC on the outside. I see this as a CUSE/UNC battle but If she doesn't commit next week this might drag on and the longer it drags, bad news for Syracuse
It's important to know your kid and where she will be happy and have success. Call me crazy but there are top recruits that have not shined as expected at UNC and BC. You need elite athletic ability and not just years and years of training to excel at those programs. The smart move might be to go to a program outside of the top 5.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:02 pm

Full rides are very rare in LAX. Only reserved for truly exceptional players. Your average #1 recruit doesn't get a full ride. They might get upwards of 60-70% coverage. The rest is split among the remaining recruits. But with that said as someone else mentioned, NIL can be used to inject a little extra cash into the pot. So it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Clemson offered her a full ride which might be one of the reasons why she's considering them in the first place.
Can you explain how the NIL adds extra $?
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

lax410 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:18 pm

Can you explain how the NIL adds extra $?
Say a player gets 50% scholarship offer which brings the cost from $60k to $30k. The top programs can offer NIL money on top of the 50% scholarship.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

It's kind of crazy that there aren't full scholarships available. I know it's non-revenue but I've known many people who've received full rides for academics. I mean academics is non-revenue as well and it's fairly common.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

WLaxdad wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:04 am It's kind of crazy that there aren't full scholarships available. I know it's non-revenue but I've known many people who've received full rides for academics. I mean academics is non-revenue as well and it's fairly common.
Okay, but I feel like the entire point of college is to get an academic education and not to play sports. I mean...academics is literally (and presumably?) the entire point of the school's existence.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Yep. And she was offered a full ride
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:09 am

First off, I have no exact knowledge of what was or wasn't offered to AS.

however, several schools including big time football schools like Clemson, Florida, OSU, etc have massive NIL collectives. In the case of Ohio State, I can confirm last year multiple offers which would have covered all costs, but lots of the $$ were NIL $$, not athletic money.

As a result, we see more and more girls close to a "full ride" but very rarely is that a 100% athletic scholarship deal.
njbill

Post by njbill »

What seems to be missing from this discussion unless I am misreading it, is academic aid. Don’t know if this is true with all coaches, but I know some who have the authority to hand out substantial academic aid on top of the athletic scholarship. Combined, they can come close to a full ride.
DMac

Post by DMac »

If I'm in her shoes I'd sure rather play for Cuse. Tigers were 12-6 last year and I don't see their Ws as against powerhouses. Not much of a comparison in the schedules these two schools play. I've got to figure it's all about the money if the choice is Clemson.
carrollax

Post by carrollax »

Not that I am an expert in any form but my understanding of the NIL Collectives is that they are primarily funded by donors that traditionally support the revenue generating sports (CFB, CBB) and the majority of the money follows accordingly. Not sure womens lax is getting much NIL money from collectives at this point. It could change in the future but not how it works today. Schools with strong donors stemming from womens lax could definitely impact this however.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

carrollax wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:26 am Not that I am an expert in any form but my understanding of the NIL Collectives is that they are primarily funded by donors that traditionally support the revenue generating sports (CFB, CBB) and the majority of the money follows accordingly. Not sure womens lax is getting much NIL money from collectives at this point. It could change in the future but not how it works today. Schools with strong donors stemming from womens lax could definitely impact this however.
Rumor is that ASU told the girls at their August prospect camp that all players on the team can expect $15k a year in NIL money (unrelated to any scholarship money).
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

carrollax wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:26 am Not that I am an expert in any form but my understanding of the NIL Collectives is that they are primarily funded by donors that traditionally support the revenue generating sports (CFB, CBB) and the majority of the money follows accordingly. Not sure womens lax is getting much NIL money from collectives at this point. It could change in the future but not how it works today. Schools with strong donors stemming from womens lax could definitely impact this however.
Almost all NIL collectives have a minimum amount per all scholarship athletes, which revenue athletes getting more. Varies school by school but pretty much every school who has a top 25 football team, non-rev athletes will see some type of benefit.
truster49

Post by truster49 »

b
Last edited by truster49 on Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:25 am
Relax77 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:09 am

First off, I have no exact knowledge of what was or wasn't offered to AS.

however, several schools including big time football schools like Clemson, Florida, OSU, etc have massive NIL collectives. In the case of Ohio State, I can confirm last year multiple offers which would have covered all costs, but lots of the $$ were NIL $$, not athletic money.

As a result, we see more and more girls close to a "full ride" but very rarely is that a 100% athletic scholarship deal.
I would 'Cuse in with this trio as well. Their collective for women's and men's lax is significant and is growing.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”