Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BigHoss wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:58 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:50 pm
FL-GO wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:31 pm Thank goodness that one is over. That game was hard to watch. 2-0 start was encouraging but it went south fast. SU’s level of talent is just something we’re not equipped to play against.

SU’s D pushed us around all day, forced us into crappy shots that made Mark look like an AA. Will probably be our lowest shooting numbers we’ll see all season. All the forced (and errant pass) turnovers were brutal too.

Wilson hung in there considering, the SU shooting was just too good. Holtby probably should have started given his experience but it wouldn’t have mattered. Cuse was too precise.

I guess it’s nice we start A10 play vs St Bonnies. The team must be pretty demoralized after that.
None of the goalies would’ve done anything, Doc Schneider wouldn’t have stopped 2/3 of the ones that went in and we were outshot 60/33 despite winning GBs and FOs. Offense had one assist. This play is the opposite of The 19-20 teams Moving the ball around.

Also seems like Raymond plays the syracuse area kids a lot more. Having Grooms, Delaney and 1-2 others play while Greene, Peterkin and a few others sit mostly says a lot about how the game was approached.

Nice to see Herlihy, Horton and Duby in late. If that’s a sign they’re healthy for league play then that is promising.

We lose some guys but this is 2018 and hopeful we turn next season into 2019.
I think saying it’s 2018 is a bit much… that team was 4-10 and this team is currently .500. I still think they’ll be competitive in conference
Lost 4, 1 goal games and had an inexperienced offense after Frank Brown graduated with Holden (shot below 20% in 18 as a Soph), Aslanian and others retooled the offense.

Last year graduated Archer, Mott and others and have an unknown offense going into the season with a bunch of young kids. Will probably be below .500.

Not that different other than that we had a tougher OOC that year w PSU & GT where we had Prov, Dart and RMU.

About the same. Youth development year.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Well ... at least hockey is bringing good news so far this weekend. Tune in tomorrow to see if we see it through.

Only able to listen today, but among other things we seemed to give the ball over way too much. Nerves? I hope we don't see that again.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

As Ketch expected. Full credit to Syracuse!! Hobart wasn't going to win this game, but it certainly could have been closer. Bobbling simple passes, passes missing their mark, just sloppy play all around by the Statesmen. Our shot selection sucked. Only 1 assist!!??? The difference between Cuses passing and shooting and ours was painfully obvious today. Coach Raymond talked about moving the ball and getting Cuse goalie Mark to move side to side. That did NOT happen today. Will Mark is a very good goalie. Our offense sure made it easy for him today. Way too many botched slides and guys getting picked off without the necessary switch happening. Wilson didn't have a chance today. Coach Raymond nailed it during a timeout. Our defense was letting Cuse do whatever they wanted. Honestly...... our defensive sets have been horrible all season. Unnecessary early slides with no second slide to back it up (FMU Bart has pointed this out numerous times). I knew that this was going to be a rebuilding year. Just didn't think our defense would be the weak link. There is talent there!! Coach Fisher had better turn things around pronto. League play starts Tuesday. If his defense continues to play like this, Bart has zero chance of making the A-10 tournament.

There was some personnel positives. Herlihy, Duby and Horton were back on the field in limited action. Datellas is playing hurt. He needs to rest and get healthy. He tried today. It was obvious he doesn't have his legs.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Question. Is a zone easier to play for the defense? It seems after every game the comments are negative concerning the defense. if that's the case why not try the zone witch in my opinion is easier to use.
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:12 pm As Ketch expected. Full credit to Syracuse!! Hobart wasn't going to win this game, but it certainly could have been closer. Bobbling simple passes, passes missing their mark, just sloppy play all around by the Statesmen. Our shot selection sucked. Only 1 assist!!??? The difference between Cuses passing and shooting and ours was painfully obvious today. Coach Raymond talked about moving the ball and getting Cuse goalie Mark to move side to side. That did NOT happen today. Will Mark is a very good goalie. Our offense sure made it easy for him today. Way too many botched slides and guys getting picked off without the necessary switch happening. Wilson didn't have a chance today. Coach Raymond nailed it during a timeout. Our defense was letting Cuse do whatever they wanted. Honestly...... our defensive sets have been horrible all season. Unnecessary early slides with no second slide to back it up (FMU Bart has pointed this out numerous times). I knew that this was going to be a rebuilding year. Just didn't think our defense would be the weak link. There is talent there!! Coach Fisher had better turn things around pronto. League play starts Tuesday. If his defense continues to play like this, Bart has zero chance of making the A-10 tournament.

There was some personnel positives. Herlihy, Duby and Horton were back on the field in limited action. Datellas is playing hurt. He needs to rest and get healthy. He tried today. It was obvious he doesn't have his legs.
I think this is good analysis. I’d say talking about high pass count and getting the goalie to move etc. is one thing… executing it is another. Lots of talk about doing certain things, not a lot of execution today.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Was glad to see Hobart score the first one, then the second one, went up 2-0 and winning face offs.
Got that Hobart contingent all fired up making all kinds of noise...loved it. 4,500 in attendance made
for a pretty good environment. Would like to have seen it be a little closer game but it is what it is.
GO BART!!!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:59 am Was glad to see Hobart score the first one, then the second one, went up 2-0 and winning face offs.
Got that Hobart contingent all fired up making all kinds of noise...loved it. 4,500 in attendance made
for a pretty good environment. Would like to have seen it be a little closer game but it is what it is.
GO BART!!!
Syracuse just keeps progressing. The arrow is pointing in the right direction with a huge test coming up. The game yesterday showed that Syracuse is just so athletically gifted and that athleticism just caused so many problems for Hobart.
Even though Syracuse already could be a tournament team, the next few years with all these guys together is scary to think about. Hope they can somehow workout another Cornell/Syracuse game although I wouldn't mind if it did occurr this year in MAY.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:59 am Was glad to see Hobart score the first one, then the second one, went up 2-0 and winning face offs.
GO BART!!!
Even though the stats don’t reflect it the shooting was really terrific if Cuse shoots like that they’re going to do things this season let alone in the future. Though FO may be an issue against deep teams with stronger wing play.

Seriously though the first two goals by Syracuse couldn’t be envisioned by a coach in their dreams better. Shots pinging inside one or two pipes. Got stupid late with hot dogging and whatnot but that’s what’s going to happen when you’re up by 7-8 in the second half and in control.
shoothi

Post by shoothi »

Just not ready for prime time....
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

shoothi wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:39 pm Just not ready for prime time....
Still relatively young, see if we can pick off either or both HPU and 1/3 of St Joes, Richmond (struggled w St Johns yest) or UMass and beat SBU and get to 6-7 or 7-6 plus make the A10 tourney would be a good season to build on for 24.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

On to the Bonnies..must win Saturday & hoping we can pick off one of the last 4. HPU on the road will be tough and UMass, St Joes & Richmond are doubtful. Our glaring weakness, as JoeWillir stated, is matching up with the athletes at defensive midfield. Also, our poles are terrible off-ball. FFG pointed out how well SU shot. True, but they had far too much time & space. I'm sure we scouted SU and knew who the shooters were! What about taking some of our defensemen that aren't seeing the field and giving them a short stick. We have a 60 man roster for crying out loud! SU has done that effectively over the years(Dearth & Alexo was also a SSDM as a freshman)>
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

We sucked in my day at Hockey but tonight we win a title fellas

#2 Statesmen face #3 Adrian for national title

By: Mackenzie Larsen '12
For the first time in program history, the Hobart College ice hockey team will compete for a national title. This evening, the second-ranked Statesmen will take on third-ranked Adrian College with the national championship trophy on the line. Faceoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Raymond J. Bourque Arena on the campus of Endicott College

Hobart is 28-2-0 overall after defeating fourth-ranked Endicott College on Friday evening. The Bulldogs are 25-4-2 this season. Adrian rallied from a 5-2 deficit to knock off the University of New England 8-7 in overtime Friday afternoon.

All fans must have a digital ticket, there will be no additional ticket sales at the door. General Admission tickets for tonight are still available here.

Fans who cannot make the trip to Beverly, Massachusetts, can watch the game on NCAA.com. The game will also be broadcast on WHWS-FM (105.7 in Geneva). For students on campus, there will be a watch party at The Cellar Pub.

Here is a quick look at the teams:

Hobart
Mascot: Statesmen
Overall Record: 28-2-0
Record at Neutral Site: 0-0-0
New England Hockey Conference Record: 16-2-0 (Tournament Champions)
USCHO Poll: 2nd
How they reached the NCAA tournament: Automatic bid
NCAA tournament record: 8-10 (12th appearance)
Head Coach: Mark Taylor (23rd Year, 377-174-54)
Goals Scored: 120
Goals Allowed: 36
Points Leaders: Luke Aquaro (37), Jonah Alexander (34), Shane Shell (23)
Goal Leaders: Aquaro (20), Alexander (15), Zach Tyson (11), Ignat Belov (11)
Assists Leaders: Shell (20), Alexander (19), Aquaro (17)
Goalies: Damon Beaver (1.00 GAA, .956 SV%, 17-2-0), Mavrick Goyer (1.41 GAA, .932 SV%, 9-0-0)

Adrian
Mascot: Bulldogs
Overall Record: 25-4-2
Record at Neutral Site: 2-0-0
Northern Collegiate Hockey Association Record: 13-4-1 (Tournament Champions)
USCHO Poll: 3rd
How they reached the NCAA tournament: Automatic bid
NCAA tournament record: 7-8-0 (11th appearance), 2022 National Champions
Head Coach: Adam Krug (9th year, 205-144-13)
Goals: 178
Goals allowed: 78
Points Leaders: Matus Spodniak (57), Ty Enns (47), Alessia Luciani (38)
Goal Leaders: Spodniak (29), Enns (20), Riley Murphy (17)
Assists leaders: Jaden Shields (29), Spodniak (28), Enns (27)
Goalie: Nic Tallarico (2.58 GAA, .904 SV%, 14-3-0), Dershahn Stewart (2.52 GAA, .903 SV%, 10-1-2)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:24 pm On to the Bonnies..must win Saturday & hoping we can pick off one of the last 4. HPU on the road will be tough and UMass, St Joes & Richmond are doubtful. Our glaring weakness, as JoeWillir stated, is matching up with the athletes at defensive midfield. Also, our poles are terrible off-ball. FFG pointed out how well SU shot. True, but they had far too much time & space. I'm sure we scouted SU and knew who the shooters were! What about taking some of our defensemen that aren't seeing the field and giving them a short stick. We have a 60 man roster for crying out loud! SU has done that effectively over the years(Dearth & Alexo was also a SSDM as a freshman)>
dearth was offensive middie. redd for umd is a recent convert even with their typically deep ssdm corps. you'd think teams might do it more often. i know hopkins has bounced guys from d to ssdm.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Just assumed Dearth was a pole--he was a beast and I always thought he looked funny with a short stick!
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Give Dino a chance. And Wimer will be good going both ways. I'd also like to see Duby try it. HVing said that, I'm not sure the whole problem is SSDM. The close D has its share of problems too. I like the idea of trying some new blood.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:27 pm Give Dino a chance. And Wimer will be good going both ways. I'd also like to see Duby try it. HVing said that, I'm not sure the whole problem is SSDM. The close D has its share of problems too. I like the idea of trying some new blood.
Duby and Horton had been out a while and believe we’re both hurt hurt I’d back that helps a ton on close D
man:down

Post by man:down »

I am confused. Coaches need to practice what they preach -

1) Raymond (and everyone on this chat) keeps saying that it is all about ball movement (and we saw how effective that was at the beginning of the Lehigh game and the Dartmouth game). But the PLAYERS ON THE FIELD DON'T DO IT. Do they think they are better pound-for-pound than the more highly recruited SU kid in front of them? Do they think they can just get it done themselves? If they do, its the coaches job to tell them otherwise. What we should hear from the Hobart sideline sideline is "1, 2, 3 move the ball - (group yells) MOVE THE BALL!" Datellis is crafty. Delano is quick. Greene is an athlete. Rosa has a nasty low to high rip... but none of those guys can do it alone. Hobart can't beat the A10 teams one one one, yet yesterday Hobart had ONE ASSIST. ONE! A no-look from Ward to Rosa on EMO. They need more of that - disciplined and patient IQ and feeding going on. If the kids on the field aren't doing it, move on to the next kids.

2) The goalie argument is dumb at this point. They are all good. So if that is the case, why don't the coaches go with the best leader and communicator - which Raymond has said is Holtby. The D was solid last year (just ask Bryant)with Holtby directing things. And this year we are seeing confusion and blown coverage and missed slides? Could that be a communication issue? Lets find out. See if Holtby gets it under control.

Lastly - roughly 41 kids on the sideline watching the starters fail to exacute against SU. Once the game is out of reach, see if the "next group" can execute and move the ball on O and communicate on D. Give THOSE kids a chance to play in the dome (like they were told when they were recruited). Maybe you see something that works? I sometimes wonder if Brundage and Fish even know who they have after their top 5 guys. That next group may be out of sight doing scout team stuff? Frustrating - with only a handful of games left.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

man:down wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:02 pm I am confused. Coaches need to practice what they preach -

1) Raymond (and everyone on this chat) keeps saying that it is all about ball movement (and we saw how effective that was at the beginning of the Lehigh game and the Dartmouth game). But the PLAYERS ON THE FIELD DON'T DO IT. Do they think they are better pound-for-pound than the more highly recruited SU kid in front of them? Do they think they can just get it done themselves? If they do, its the coaches job to tell them otherwise. What we should hear from the Hobart sideline sideline is "1, 2, 3 move the ball - (group yells) MOVE THE BALL!" Datellis is crafty. Delano is quick. Greene is an athlete. Rosa has a nasty low to high rip... but none of those guys can do it alone. Hobart can't beat the A10 teams one one one, yet yesterday Hobart had ONE ASSIST. ONE! A no-look from Ward to Rosa on EMO. They need more of that - disciplined and patient IQ and feeding going on. If the kids on the field aren't doing it, move on to the next kids.

2) The goalie argument is dumb at this point. They are all good. So if that is the case, why don't the coaches go with the best leader and communicator - which Raymond has said is Holtby. The D was solid last year (just ask Bryant)with Holtby directing things. And this year we are seeing confusion and blown coverage and missed slides? Could that be a communication issue? Lets find out. See if Holtby gets it under control.

Lastly - roughly 41 kids on the sideline watching the starters fail to exacute against SU. Once the game is out of reach, see if the "next group" can execute and move the ball on O and communicate on D. Give THOSE kids a chance to play in the dome (like they were told when they were recruited). Maybe you see something that works? I sometimes wonder if Brundage and Fish even know who they have after their top 5 guys. That next group may be out of sight doing scout team stuff? Frustrating - with only a handful of games left.
There’s been a lot of inconsistencies.

Hockey team is National champs in OT. Maybe more Canadians will take note who play Lax. Justin Scott was an excellent hockey player at TP
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Congratulations Hobart Ice Hockey!!!
Tough play in OT. No let down. Pass it on. What's good for one team is good for all.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

The only one assist argument doesn’t bother me. SU obviously was coached to only slide if someone is clearly beaten. We were able to generate shots 1v1, but our dodgers didn’t clearly beat any defender. To wit, most of our shots were contested. It was nice to see that we have many guys that’s were able to challenge their defender. Ball movement is great, but I like to see guys moving off ball, taking slides away and confusing defenses.

Congrats hockey team!!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”