Some strong individual performances in the Ivy League:

Offense:

Coulter Mackesy, Princeton: 10 points (8,2) vs Harvard
CJ Kirst, Cornell: 9 points (6,3) vs Brown
Leo Johnson, Yale: 7 points (5,2) vs Albany
Chris Lyons, Yale: 6 points (5,1) vs Albany
Sam Handley, Penn: 6 points (4,2) vs Dartmouth
Christian Ronda, Princeton: 6 points (4,2) vs Harvard
Andrew McMeekin, Princeton: 14/25 (56%) face-offs vs Harvard (Rookie)

Defense:

Jared Paquette, Yale: 16 saves/ 73% vs Albany
Michael Gianforcaro, Princeton: 20 saves/ 69% vs Harvard

Other strong performances:

Sam King, Harvard: 6 points (4,2) vs Princeton
Mitchell Myers, Dartmouth: 17/26 (65%), face-offs vs Penn
Matthew Gunty, Brown: 17/29 (59%) face-offs vs Cornell

Possible ROW:

Charlie Box, Cornell
Jack Cascadden, Cornell
Paul Fortino, Penn
Andrew McMeekin, Princeton
Matt McMillen, Penn

Suggestions/corrections welcome (especially ROW)
faircornell

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by faircornell »

faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:38 pm Some strong individual performances in the Ivy League:

Offense:

Coulter Mackesy, Princeton: 10 points (8,2) vs Harvard
CJ Kirst, Cornell: 9 points (6,3) vs Brown
Leo Johnson, Yale: 7 points (5,2) vs Albany
Chris Lyons, Yale: 6 points (5,1) vs Albany
Sam Handley, Penn: 6 points (4,2) vs Dartmouth
Christian Ronda, Princeton: 6 points (4,2) vs Harvard
Andrew McMeekin, Princeton: 14/25 (56%) face-offs vs Harvard (Rookie)

Defense:

Jared Paquette, Yale: 16 saves/ 73% vs Albany
Michael Gianforcaro, Princeton: 20 saves/ 69% vs Harvard

Sam King, Harvard: 6 points (4,2) vs Princeton
Mitchell Myers, Dartmouth: 17/26 (65%), face-offs vs Penn
Matthew Gunty, Brown: 17/29 (59%) face-offs vs Cornell

Possible ROW:

Charlie Box, Cornell
Jack Cascadden, Cornell
Paul Fortino, Penn
Andrew McMeekin, Princeton
Matt McMillen, Penn

Suggestions/corrections welcome (especially ROW)
POW: Coulter Mackesy, A, Princeton
ROW: Andrew McMeekin, F/O, Princeton

Honor Roll:

Matt Barraco, F/O, Harvard
Emmett Carroll, G, Penn
CJ Kirst, A, Cornell
Sam Handley, M, Penn
Thomas Goguen, D, Dartmouth
Leo Johnson, A, Yale
Sam King, A, Harvard
Chis Lyons, A, Yale
Mitchell Myers, F/O, Dartmouth
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Well we're back to Columbia for the tourney, and I think I'm being fair when I say past reviews averaged out as "meh". What's that definition of insanity? What I wonder is, what brought this on? Are there actually rumblings that the former King's College will at least consider investigating the possibility of a men's team? IMHO file under "highly doubtful." Have the schools found Columbia easier (i.e. lazier) than being in suspense until the season"s last week to find out which school has to arrange the tourney?
Personally I think the league champ should get the benefit of home field hosting, but as an alternative I think rotating hosts among the schools that actually support the sport is acceptable if the most prestigious institutions of higher education in the nation find it annoying to plan to host a few thousand fans with only one or two weeks prep time.🤔
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:05 am Well we're back to Columbia for the tourney, and I think I'm being fair when I say past reviews averaged out as "meh". What's that definition of insanity? What I wonder is, what brought this on? Are there actually rumblings that the former King's College will at least consider investigating the possibility of a men's team? IMHO file under "highly doubtful." Have the schools found Columbia easier (i.e. lazier) than being in suspense until the season"s last week to find out which school has to arrange the tourney?
Personally I think the league champ should get the benefit of home field hosting, but as an alternative I think rotating hosts among the schools that actually support the sport is acceptable if the most prestigious institutions of higher education in the nation find it annoying to plan to host a few thousand fans with only one or two weeks prep time.🤔
I agree with your "highly doubtful" conclusion regarding King's College, Columbia adding men's varsity lacrosse. I think it's more about the bright lights, Broadway, the big-time city being a good showcase for Ivy lacrosse. Plus, an awful lot of Ivy alums work in Manhattan, live in the area. The League's worst idea was to have the ILT at Hofstra, which was the announced plan for the ill-fated 2020 season. I could see Red Bull soccer stadium in NJ: easy freeway access and ample parking near NYC, no football lines on the field, and yes, natural grass.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Well, whaddaya think?
Since neutral field, seeding is just about matchups. Any of you folks actually involved feel strongly about whom your team faces?
Obviously H/Y just want to make it.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The improved version of 2023 Yale has been able to grab leads and keep opponents at arm's length; Harvard looks like they might be creeping a bit closer than that.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:45 am Well, whaddaya think?
Since neutral field, seeding is just about matchups. Any of you folks actually involved feel strongly about whom your team faces?
I'm happy Yale won so that Cornell gets the opportunity to beat a top-10 team next Friday.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:39 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:05 am Well we're back to Columbia for the tourney, and I think I'm being fair when I say past reviews averaged out as "meh". What's that definition of insanity? What I wonder is, what brought this on? Are there actually rumblings that the former King's College will at least consider investigating the possibility of a men's team? IMHO file under "highly doubtful." Have the schools found Columbia easier (i.e. lazier) than being in suspense until the season"s last week to find out which school has to arrange the tourney?
I agree with your "highly doubtful" conclusion regarding King's College, Columbia adding men's varsity lacrosse. I think it's more about the bright lights, Broadway, the big-time city being a good showcase for Ivy lacrosse. Plus, an awful lot of Ivy alums work in Manhattan, live in the area. The League's worst idea was to have the ILT at Hofstra, which was the announced plan for the ill-fated 2020 season. I could see Red Bull soccer stadium in NJ: easy freeway access and ample parking near NYC, no football lines on the field, and yes, natural grass.
I guess you live in NJ? That's the only way you would see Columbia or Red Bull Stadium as a better alternative to Hofstra. Columbia is actually pretty inconvenient. The parking at Baker Field is horrible and the traffic around the area a few years ago was bad. Mass transit is an option, but it's a 30-40 minute subway ride from Midtown. So if you live in Manhattan, it's easy. If you live anywhere else, it's a pretty big time commitment to get there by car or train.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:20 pm
I guess you live in NJ? That's the only way you would see Columbia or Red Bull Stadium as a better alternative to Hofstra. Columbia is actually pretty inconvenient. The parking at Baker Field is horrible and the traffic around the area a few years ago was bad. Mass transit is an option, but it's a 30-40 minute subway ride from Midtown. So if you live in Manhattan, it's easy. If you live anywhere else, it's a pretty big time commitment to get there by car or train.
No, I live in CT. Could easily drive to NJ, and love lax on natural grass.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:54 pm
Got it. Getting on and of LI is tough. Getting to Baker Field is no bargain either. I guess the issue is that some on campus sites are tough as well. Cornell would be hosting and Ithaca is not convenient from some locations (other than upstate NY).
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Some strong individual performances in the Ivy League:

Offense:

Sam Handley, Penn: 8 points (6,2) vs Albany
CJ Kirst, Cornell: 6 points (3,3) vs Princeton
Marcus Wertheim, Brown: 5 points (3,2) va Dartmouth
Leo Johnson, Yale: 4 points (4,0) vs Harvard
Devon McLane, Brown: 4 points (2,2) vs Dartmouth
Matt Brandau, Yale: 4 points (2,2) vs Harvard

Angelo Petrakis, Cornell: 13/15 face-0ffs (87%)
Matthew Gunty, Brown: 20/27 face-offs (74%)
Nicholas Ramsey, Yale: 18/27 face-offs (67%)

Defense:

Jared Paquette, Yale: 16 saves, 59% vs Harvard
Gavin Adler, Cornell: 6GB, 3CT vs Princeton

Luca Stanat, Princeton: 6 points (2,4) vs Cornell
Sam King, Harvard: 5 points (4,1) vs Dartmouth
Colin McGill, Dartmouth: 5 points (4,1) vs Brown
Last edited by faircornell on Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:42 am Some strong individual performances in the Ivy League:

Offense:

Sam Handley, Penn: 8 points 6,2) vs Albany
Matt Branday, Yale: 4 points (2,2) vs Harvard

Defense:

faircornell: you left off Gavin Adler who should be Ivy player of the week. Last week, Princeton's Macksey had 10 points and led D-1 in scoring. Yesterday, 1 shot, no points and 2 turnovers, while Gavin had 3 caused turnovers, 6 ground balls & saved the exclusive league title for the Big Red by causing a turnover on Macksey in OT.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:08 am
faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:42 am Some strong individual performances in the Ivy League:

Offense:

Defense:

faircornell: you left off Gavin Adler who should be Ivy player of the week. Last week, Princeton's Macksey had 10 points and led D-1 in scoring. Yesterday, 1 shot, no points and 2 turnovers, while Gavin had 3 caused turnovers, 6 ground balls & saved the exclusive league title for the Big Red by causing a turnover on Macksey in OT.
Agreed 💯
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

;)
laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:08 am

Offense:

Defense:

My mistake. Agreed. Added.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:54 pm
Better game. Adds some uncertainty to the game. If you can recover gbs on grass, that says more than "on the carpet" retrievals. Also influences bounce shot trajectory -- probably why the shot has fallen out of favor, although night games in the rain (Villanova v. G'town) appear to be a golden opportunity for the bounce shot.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

If Adler isn't Ivy Player of the Week, then the award should be eliminated as only GOD could have played a better game than him yesterday.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Laxfanatic2022

Post by Laxfanatic2022 »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:48 pm If Adler isn't Ivy Player of the Week, then the award should be eliminated as only GOD could have played a better game than him yesterday.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Really hope he doesn’t get robbed of the schmiesser award, there’s been nobody close to better. Would mean a lot to the defensive position for a 5,8 guy to win. Should ABSOLUTELY be a Tewaaraton finalist
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Laxfanatic2022 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:24 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:48 pm If Adler isn't Ivy Player of the Week, then the award should be eliminated as only GOD could have played a better game than him yesterday.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Really hope he doesn’t get robbed of the schmiesser award, there’s been nobody close to better. Would mean a lot to the defensive position for a 5,8 guy to win. Should ABSOLUTELY be a Tewaaraton finalist
He should have received it last year!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Offense:

Defense:

POW: CJ Kirst, A, Cornell
ROW: Emmett Paradine, A, Dartmouth (1,1)

Honor Roll:

Leo Johnson, A, Yale
Aidan Blake, M, Cornell
Lucas Stanat, A, Princeton
Peter Rizzotti, D, Dartmouth
Sam Hanley, M, Penn
Jared Paquette, , Yale
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

faircornell wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:08 pm

Offense:

Defense:

POW: CJ Kirst, A, Cornell
ROW: Emmett Paradine, A, Dartmouth (1,1)

Honor Roll:

Leo Johnson, A, Yale
Aidan Blake, M, Cornell
Lucas Stanat, A, Princeton
Peter Rizzotti, D, Dartmouth
Sam Hanley, M, Penn
Jared Paquette, , Yale

Due props to Emmett Paradine, but freshman M Wertheim was 3,2 last week as a midfielder.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”