Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Eagle Feather

Re: Navy 2020

Post by Eagle Feather »

Navy fans:

This message comes from a Marquette fan who is devastated to have lost our coach, but so happy for the entire Navy family for what you have gained. You will love Joe Amplo and his family! Joe is all about character and integrity and get ready for his passion, it is off the charts. He is tough, demanding and honest. He will care for your boys and the institution and I know will make the folks who hired him look good. For a little insight into Amplo here is a short film done on what he built at Marquette.

Beat Army!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvaKtP-kUhY
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

RS didn’t drop Hopkins. They couldn’t find s good date for their teams given conference play, traditional rivalries etc. those upset with the firing of RM are probably not surprised. Amplo started the D-1 program at Marquette didn’t he? Not the easiest place to recruit lax players I would guess. I am kind of expecting his tenure to be smoother.

Navy housed its new defensive FB coaches nearby. RM used to frequent the nearby coffee shop. I find myself hoping Navy houses him temporarily there.
Last edited by OCanada on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
FactChecker

Post by FactChecker »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:04 pm Speaking of depth & length of the bench :
In 2019, Marquette had 27 players who started a game or played in at least 10 games.
Navy had 19.
Marquette’s starter number is a bit inflated due to the 19 suspensions for the Cleveland State game.
old salt

Post by old salt »

FactChecker wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:41 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:04 pm Speaking of depth & length of the bench :
In 2019, Marquette had 27 players who started a game or played in at least 10 games.
Navy had 19.
Marquette’s starter number is a bit inflated due to the 19 suspensions for the Cleveland State game.
Subtract the 4 players with only 1 start, who played in less than 8 games.
Still 23 vs 19.
FactChecker

Post by FactChecker »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:30 pm
Navy had 19.
Still 23 vs 19.
Marquette had 59 on their roster. Navy had 53. So if you calculate percentages of roster players with a start or 10 games it's only a spread of 3 percentage points (38% for Marquette; 35% for Navy). That's not that significant.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Eagle Feather wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:27 pm Navy fans:

This message comes from a Marquette fan who is devastated to have lost our coach, but so happy for the entire Navy family for what you have gained. You will love Joe Amplo and his family! Joe is all about character and integrity and get ready for his passion, it is off the charts. He is tough, demanding and honest. He will care for your boys and the institution and I know will make the folks who hired him look good. For a little insight into Amplo here is a short film done on what he built at Marquette.

Beat Army!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvaKtP-kUhY
Sowell has every characteristic that Amplo supposedly has...If Amplo goes 20-24 in the next 3 years(like he just did at Marquette), how will the Navy hecklers respond??!!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Moving forward....Amplo takes the reigns and let’s assume for now Wellner stays as the D Coordinator, that likely means either Camposa is out or Amplo takes control of the O. Otherwise, Amplo focuses on all things SA, player evaluation, builds the pieces to the puzzle, and Camposa is replaced with a tenured O coordinator.

Structured like Loyola. Toomey is the front man, MVA is o coordinator, and Dwan is DC.

Navy would be Amplo front man, Wellner DC, ?? OC.

Would be a nice addition to get a M Danowski or Phipps as an OC.

Thoughts?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
oldjayfan

Re: Navy 2019

Post by oldjayfan »

overhand wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:20 pm I don’t want to cause a major stir on this thread...however I heard a name linked to the Navy coaching search this morning that blew me away...I would have to imagine that IF this man is interviewing or discussing the possibility, many Navy fans would be excited...I am curious to see if this thing gets legs and will post once I hear something more concrete...my apologies for not being willing to share the name just yet....can say at this point that it’s a current, big-time D1 coach...no Navy experience or background....

Holy FAKE NEWS...unless you consider a coach that is 20-24 over his last 3 years and has ZERO NCAA tourney wins is a name "that blew me away.." I'm throwing out the BS card!!!
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:31 pm Moving forward....Amplo takes the reigns and let’s assume for now Wellner stays as the D Coordinator, that likely means either Camposa is out or Amplo takes control of the O. Otherwise, Amplo focuses on all things SA, player evaluation, builds the pieces to the puzzle, and Camposa is replaced with a tenured O coordinator.

Structured like Loyola. Toomey is the front man, MVA is o coordinator, and Dwan is DC.

Navy would be Amplo front man, Wellner DC, ?? OC.

Would be a nice addition to get a M Danowski or Phipps as an OC.

Thoughts?
I wouldn’t count on Wellner being retained or staying. Doesn’t seem likely.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Healthy - let’s then assume he rolls. Does he flip with Amplo? Other than Harvard, where would he go?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

Stony brook? Harvard? Marquette?
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

HealthyDebate wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:56 pm Stony brook? Harvard? Marquette?
While it would be smart to keep Wellner to solidify the recruiting pipeline, I agree that he is likely to move. Healthy's order seems accurate, now that Baxter is going to Fairfield. Stony Brook would be a homecoming with upside, but Harvard is high profile with lots of competition. Marquette seems unlikely, but maybe better for Sowell? Not so sure about Camposa staying on but he has a bright future.

Who guessed Amplo? Very few. What happened to Reppert? Timing wasn't right for the "splash"? The choice will make for an interesting off season and it ensures that there will be no shortage of future content. One good thing is that he probably didn't break the bank.

Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Amplo is a defensive coach. Don't know anything about Navy's current staff, but I imagine recruiting for a service academy is very different from recruiting elswehere.
old salt

Post by old salt »

FactChecker wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:25 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:30 pm
Navy had 19.
Still 23 vs 19.
Marquette had 59 on their roster. Navy had 53. So if you calculate percentages of roster players with a start or 10 games it's only a spread of 3 percentage points (38% for Marquette; 35% for Navy). That's not that significant.
What's significant is how many players play, or more precisely, how widely the playing time is dispersed.
% of roster size is irrelevant. You can only play 10 players at a time.
For example, Army had 24 players who played in at least 14 games.
That was close to Navy's average, pre-2012.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

The AD went after Tillman, Toomey & Chemotti, but his reputation preceded him, apparently. Love that those guys used Navy to leverage their current schools for more cash/incentives...looks like Tecumseh has been right all along, the AD has made his bed...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

To me, if coaching only means money to them, that says more about them.
~Livy

OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Memories can ne long lasting A lot of coaches were upset with the way RM was treated. Several were contacted about them job and did not bother to get involved.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:39 am To me, if coaching only means money to them, that says more about them.
I agree,using the Navy overtures to leverage their current positions says-- They're smart!
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

stupefied wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:01 pm Gonna be Tillman
BTW, good call :lol:
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

LandM wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:38 pm OldJay,
I will take your bet. I just put a clean, crisp $1 on my table, full disclosure I am heading back from our house in CO to our house in NY but I will find a table to keep it on - lets play "Trading Places" - if I lose I will meet you wherever, and give you that clean crisp $1. You lose, I get to do the same. Tell me when you want to shake.

Laxpere:
RS will be just fine......unfortunately just the shock of what happened.

When I was at the Academy, we had guys wondering around wearing patches on their athletic jackets, saying, "best in the west". A cadet in my squadron, had this club in his hands twirling it around with a ball in it with the "best in the west" patch. I usually ran into him on my way to the field house and after dinner. We usually laughed at those guys as it was a club sport. That guy became Admiral Scott Moore, I suggest you google him if you want the details. That is the guy a SA wants - chip on the shoulder, some brass where it matters, and is a teammate not an individual.

I do not think there is a difference between a SA parent and a parent. Parents want their kids to be successful. Some parents go a bit overboard, some like myself said, hey I figured it out, you can to.

Here is hoping that I win my $1 bet:)

Here is also hoping that Army kicks it
LandM, are you back east? If not, all's quiet on the western front? :D Please make sure the $1 is uncirculated!!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”