Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
ardilla secreta

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by ardilla secreta »

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:49 am Nice looking cornbread, a s, that's good stuff.

If you have Aldi out there you can find this there, Brook.
Have never tried the Polish butter a s shows but can tell
you the Irish butter is really good stuff, I always have one
one on hand.
Countryside Creamery Pure Irish Butter appears to be a solid option for people who want Irish butter but are looking to get it for a little less than Kerrygold prices. Aldi Irish butter spreads and tastes a lot like Kerrygold, and it even has a slightly lower sodium content. That said, Irish butter is more expensive than American butter — even Irish butter sold by Aldi — so whether you want to spend the extra money is a matter of preference. If Irish butter is your thing, Countryside Creamery’s version is worth a look.
https://www.aldireviewer.com/countrysid ... sh-butter/
Never seen that Polish butter, but was curious to try it. It’s fine but not knocking me over with any complexity of flavors. There are better butters out the and I’m not Polish.
ardilla secreta

One of my favorites. Japanese curry. Like a thick brown gravy but with an Indian curry accent. Wildly popular in Japan. Comes in a block to be dissolved. Add a meat of choice and assorted vegetables. Tonite its pork, onion, shiitake, carrot, zucchini.
6B7787D6-5F11-442C-926B-147393DD43EA.jpeg
6B7787D6-5F11-442C-926B-147393DD43EA.jpeg (113.85 KiB) Viewed 852 times
E977F608-01F2-4B2D-B923-2CC7B745BEF5.jpeg
E977F608-01F2-4B2D-B923-2CC7B745BEF5.jpeg (118.43 KiB) Viewed 852 times
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

shiitake mushrooms - when done properly, they are to die for!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

made myself a no bake whipped cream cheese cake -

blended some sweeten condensed milk into it, put it atop a crust made of rice chex, pumpkin & sunflower seeds, raisins, and crushed almond powder

topped it with cinnamon

was gonna add some Cool Whip but it tasted so good that it wasn't worth adding any more flavor

delicious! goes so well with my morning coffee or as afternoon snack
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:20 pm made myself a no bake whipped cream cheese cake -

blended some sweeten condensed milk into it, put it atop a crust made of rice chex, pumpkin & sunflower seeds, raisins, and crushed almond powder

topped it with cinnamon

was gonna add some Cool Whip but it tasted so good that it wasn't worth adding any more flavor

delicious! goes so well with my morning coffee or as afternoon snack
You gotta add pictures
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

You gotta add pictures

You're right. But I took down my last bite of it before I saw your note. Mebbe next time ... :mrgreen:

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:58 am
You gotta add pictures

You're right. But I took down my last bite of it before I saw your note. Mebbe next time ... :mrgreen:
Wait....what? You ate a whole damned cheesecake in a day. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Just processed an entire Beef Rib, into 14 steaks, some smaller pieces for stir-fry or sammiches, trimmed off the bones for baked or smoked ribs, and saved all the extra fat...put all this into separate vacuum bags.

Anyone have any success processing the fat? Was thinking small beef crisps in the cast iron as game day snacks, or rendering down in to stock...but I do not use much stock in the kitchen and not sure how long it will last...any ideas?
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:12 am
Brooklyn wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:58 am
You gotta add pictures

Wait....what? You ate a whole damned cheesecake in a day. :lol:
closer to 2 days - but if you saw how good it was you would have wolfed it down all at once :D

DMac

Post by DMac »

Prime rib, round 2. Cooked to 125, went 135 (a little surprised by that) while resting, 45 min. Done to perfection for my taste, just gave it a 5 minute 500 degree blast. A better au jus for round 2. Love ya, Jean Pierre but no tomato in the au jus, much much better without it. Nice dab of horseradish...just too good. Twice baked potato crazy good...sauteed onion, garlic, bacon bits, cream, butter, cream cheese, shredded cheddar, fresh chopped parsley all mixed in there.
Happy New Year.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Swedish meatballs mit spaetzle. Sehr gut!!!!!
Will definitely make this if Hans Schmidt happens by.
Excellent player, really nice person too. Spent a couple
of hours with him watching Katarina Witt skating, was
probably one of Scott Hamilton's shows. What a hottie!!
Couple of the master race comments made while watching
are unsuitable but was some mighty funny stuff nonetheless.
:D
Can't go wrong with Laura's recipe here, really tasty Swedish
meatballs. Not figuring anyone will make the spaetzle but no
doubt good with store bought egg noodles too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSxlTTwBJ9M&t=327s
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Swedish meatballs ~ many here in Lake Wobegone believe that is the definitive dish hereabouts.

https://meatballemergency.com/midwester ... meatballs/

The ultimate "comfort food" they often say.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:23 am Swedish meatballs ~ many here in Lake Wobegone believe that is the definitive dish hereabouts.

https://meatballemergency.com/midwester ... meatballs/

The ultimate "comfort food" they often say.
Are you forgetting about Walleye?
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:15 pm
Are you forgetting about Walleye?

That's more for the folks up north (here it's called "out state"). The yokels only use salt & pepper to season it. As a side dish they use wild rice or French fries. Good to see that they have finally learned to use fresh lemon on the side for added flavoring.

In NY folks use garlic-lemon-basil-oregano seasoning mixes along with lemon and melted butter to give seafood real flavor. Unfortunately, fresh water fish does not have the same flavor as seafood as folks here don't know what real seafood is. Several times people have nearly puked or laughed at the thought of me munching on seaweed. In their limited minds only people from the planet Mars do so.

So yes, walleye is a comfort food in these parts. But Swedish meatballs remain number 1.

ardilla secreta

How’s your Mediterranean diet?
Great way to use leftover saffron rice pilaf. Steamed cipollini onions, asparagus and shrimp with chopped Belgian endive all tossed in coarse mustard vinaigrette and topped with Mediterranean sardines canned with harissa. Freakin great meal.
83BAE57E-97DD-4D43-BEDD-99988B1CD615.jpeg
83BAE57E-97DD-4D43-BEDD-99988B1CD615.jpeg (134.02 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:36 pm How’s your Mediterranean diet?
Great way to use leftover saffron rice pilaf. Steamed cipollini onions, asparagus and shrimp with chopped Belgian endive all tossed in coarse mustard vinaigrette and topped with Mediterranean sardines canned with harissa. Freakin great meal.
My sister and brother in law are going to try this-I passed it along. I don’t like sardines and HATE mustard like I would be in the Play Haters Ball but it’s in their wheelhouse.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nice looking dish (as usual), a s, pretty darn sure I'd like that, sounds good.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

DMac wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:44 am
Nice looking dish (as usual), a s, pretty darn sure I'd like that, sounds good.
Would be a BIG hit in Sicily, as well. Except, they'd find a way to toss in some citrus fruit or currants....and maybe, some finocchio. :!:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

~ saffron rice pilaf - & Mediterranean sardines canned with harissa ~

A dab of sour cream on the side and it becomes the ultimate comfort food. :)

ardilla secreta

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:01 am ~ saffron rice pilaf - & Mediterranean sardines canned with harissa ~

A dab of sour cream on the side and it becomes the ultimate comfort food. :)
A dash of sour cream on the side and it becomes Russian

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”