Coaching Carousel

D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by 8meterPA »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:43 am
8meterPA wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:37 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:02 am Just for the record, with respect to criticism, I do distinguish between players and coaches. Coaches have taken a job, oversight of a program and many young lives, a salary, sometimes from the public dole, and are absolutely fair subjects of criticism. I just don't feel the same way about scholarship athletes. Maybe there is something inconsistent in this, but that's how I see the world.

Sung's time at Carthage can be a redemption song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv5xonF ... MarleyVEVO
what's scary is that song is 40 years old, holy cow i'm old!
What's scary is I saw Marley in person at the Apollo Theatre in New York in 1979, and even remember a little of it.
were you there with Dmac?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:54 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:43 am
8meterPA wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:37 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:02 am Just for the record, with respect to criticism, I do distinguish between players and coaches. Coaches have taken a job, oversight of a program and many young lives, a salary, sometimes from the public dole, and are absolutely fair subjects of criticism. I just don't feel the same way about scholarship athletes. Maybe there is something inconsistent in this, but that's how I see the world.

Sung's time at Carthage can be a redemption song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv5xonF ... MarleyVEVO
what's scary is that song is 40 years old, holy cow i'm old!
What's scary is I saw Marley in person at the Apollo Theatre in New York in 1979, and even remember a little of it.
were you there with Dmac?
Not that I recall man.

DMac may still have been serving the country at that time.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nope, I was probably flounder fishing and catching a few crabs down in Virginia Beach while listening to a little bit of Cat Stevens (big fan) at that time. Not saying not in the same state (of mind) but not in the same place. :mrgreen:
Here's a masterpiece for ya, enjoy.
"Love must've made you on a Sunday
cuz you taste to me as good as God
made honey taste, babe.
And the sky all glistens with gold when
you're talking to me and the whirling wind
turns to song"
C'mon, who says that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKP3gA9l-U4
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Batcheller's assistants, Maddy Lesher (another local Archbishop Carroll native, and a Loyola great) & Kelsea Donnelly from Bryant and Drexel will join her at Nova!

https://villanova.com/news/2021/8/20/wo ... aches.aspx
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

For the record, I don't follow John Sung on social media. And I don't consider him my "bestie" because of one conversation. I'm not the only one on these boards to give Sung the benefit of the doubt. And I think it's disingenuous to claim innocence in posting the link of his hiring here. I think there was an expectation of just what we saw--pot shots and sarcasm directed at Sung. It isn't Sung per se--it's the principle of due process which I touch on briefly after finally coming up with how I wanted to respond:

If some of you want to be the moral compass for FanLax on the women’s D1 boards—fine. Just be consistent. That’s all I ask. If you’re going to get on my case about words that are perfectly acceptable in the sports world and commonly used among women in the lacrosse world, or strong takes about teams, coaches and players performances on the field—then be consistent and get on people who engage in varying degrees of smearing and character assassination of coaches (like John Sung and Missy Doherty) or players (Charlotte North). Speak up for due process when people‘s reputations are being questioned via conjecture and innuendo for what they do off the field. Maybe the people writing about what these people have done off the field is 100% true—but we don’t know that for sure, correct? How can we? We have to take them at their word—and this really isn’t the forum for that. So either stand up for due process—or don’t--and cut me some slack. You can't on one hand lecture about what is proper and appropriate for the audience on these boards and then turn a blind eye to character assassination. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable expectation.

So that's what I had to say, with all its errors and faults. I won't be engaging on it again.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:14 pm Batcheller's assistants, Maddy Lesher (another local Archbishop Carroll native, and a Loyola great) & Kelsea Donnelly from Bryant and Drexel will join her at Nova!

Getting the band back together, heard a couple of players also following her to nova
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:06 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:14 pm Batcheller's assistants, Maddy Lesher (another local Archbishop Carroll native, and a Loyola great) & Kelsea Donnelly from Bryant and Drexel will join her at Nova!

Getting the band back together, heard a couple of players also following her to nova
I heard that too
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

Any thoughts or word on Coastal Carolina, from reading it did not sound good, coach looked to be successful but no warning just terminated? Any rumors on who might be looking to go there?
OuttaNowhereWregget

LaxCoach13 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:26 pm Any thoughts or word on Coastal Carolina, from reading it did not sound good, coach looked to be successful but no warning just terminated? Any rumors on who might be looking to go there?
These were the last two tweets from the school's Twitter account. Both within a 2 week period in July. Odd that the Chants spent only 1 season in the Southern Conference before returning to the ASUN.

https://twitter.com/CoastalWLax/status/ ... 07392?s=20

https://twitter.com/CoastalWLax/status/ ... 57985?s=20

The "national search" for a new head coach continues. Tough for the student athletes getting back or arriving on campus with no head coach in place. I suppose assistant coach Megan Kilpatrick might run practice in the meantime.
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:16 pm
LaxCoach13 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:26 pm Any thoughts or word on Coastal Carolina, from reading it did not sound good, coach looked to be successful but no warning just terminated? Any rumors on who might be looking to go there?
These were the last two tweets from the school's Twitter account. Both within a 2 week period in July. Odd that the Chants spent only 1 season in the Southern Conference before returning to the ASUN.

The "national search" for a new head coach continues. Tough for the student athletes getting back or arriving on campus with no head coach in place. I suppose assistant coach Megan Kilpatrick might run practice in the meantime.
Interest how the one reply to the coaches announcement was clapping hands. Seems there was some issues and unhappy players
OuttaNowhereWregget

LaxCoach13 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:17 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:16 pm

Interest how the one reply to the coaches announcement was clapping hands. Seems there was some issues and unhappy players
Yeah--I noticed that, too. The account was created midway through the season. He was critical of a lot but also celebrated the teams' accomplishments along the way. He might have been clapping in general but who knows. The leadership change statement from the team was cryptic.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Based on the Clemson Lacrosse instagram story, it looks like Madison Carter is going to be joining Kwolek in South Carolina
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:42 pm Based on the Clemson Lacrosse instagram story, it looks like Madison Carter is going to be joining Kwolek in South Carolina
I saw that. What do you see as the tip-off?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:40 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:42 pm Based on the Clemson Lacrosse instagram story, it looks like Madison Carter is going to be joining Kwolek in South Carolina
Just based on the fact that Kwolek hired her as her assistant at Richmond mid-end of July & the instagram story showed them both supporting Clemson Women's Soccer at a game dressed in Clemson gear. I think it could be a safe bet?
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:23 pm
Just based on the fact that Kwolek hired her as her assistant at Richmond mid-end of July & the instagram story showed them both supporting Clemson Women's Soccer at a game dressed in Clemson gear. I think it could be a safe bet?
Interesting. I didn't know Kwolek hired Carter at Richmond. And then on the post itself--the hashtag Clemson Family in the lower right. I can see how you say it's a safe bet. It will be interesting to see how the recruiting goes for Kwolek and her staff. Does the coach generally do all the recruiting or does she have staff do it, or is it split up between them? What percentage of players contact the team as opposed to the percentage the team goes after?

OuttaNowhereWregget

Nicole Beardsley new assistant coach at UMass.

https://umassathletics.com/news/2021/8/ ... coach.aspx
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:55 am
Interesting. I didn't know Kwolek hired Carter at Richmond. And then on the post itself--the hashtag Clemson Family in the lower right. I can see how you say it's a safe bet. It will be interesting to see how the recruiting goes for Kwolek and her staff. Does the coach generally do all the recruiting or does she have staff do it, or is it split up between them? What percentage of players contact the team as opposed to the percentage the team goes after?

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:55 am

The hashtag I interpreted as being more directed towards Clemson Women's Soccer and the fact that they're supporting other athletic teams. Richmond announced Carter as an assistant coach July 21 and Clemson published the official announcement hiring Kwolek not even 2 weeks later on August 2.

As for recruiting I honestly have no real knowledge other than what I've observed at tournaments. Even if there is a "recruiting coordinator", I don't think the responsibility is usually put entirely on an assistant or the head coach. My guess is that it's probably a mix of both head coach and assistants doing recruiting. It's also probably unique to each program depending on how the HC wants to do recruiting.

Not sure about percentages either...I think it's safe to say schools receive way more interest emails than spots they have, and the number of girls they go after probably changes over time based on the amount of commits they actually land. For example, if they land all the recruits in their top tier, they probably don't need to go after anyone else. Probably also completely unique to each team though.

I'm sure Clemson will receive a ton of interest from the transfer portal as well.
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

Saw Merrimack posted today, looking at their site have they really been without a coach for over a year, if so you just now post? Was moving to DI really a good move? Does anyone know where Coach Duffy went?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:07 am Coming back to the topic --- Is New Hampshire still looking for a head coach? Coastal Carolina? Monmouth? are there any other openings?
forgot about Merrimack - so only D1 openings are Coastal, Monmouth & Merrimack - any others?
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Coastal was picked and should be announced shortly.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”