Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxgunea

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by Laxgunea »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:31 am On paper, our chances don't look good...but, SU's D is as equally inept as ours, so we should get our chances. Biggest problem I see is getting the ball past Mark. F/O's and offense "should be" fine, but to Ketch's point, worried that SU gets on a run and our D looks bewildered as they have at many times this season. That having been said, the SU game is a big event and perhaps our guys can play a full 60 minutes and make it competitive..
Podcast emphasizes pass count, which I think is right. When we pass well, we play well. When we start relying on one on one dodges, we fall apart. We also cough up the ball too quickly and tax the D. If we can hold some possession, but still play quickly, we've got a chance to get the ball past Mark. At that point, it will be up to the D. I go back to the long stretches this year and last when we held opponents scoreless. We can do it, but we've got to hold the line for more than just 20-25 minutes. We will really be relying on the ssdms on Saturday. I love our mullet wearing Canadian, Kyle Driscoll, but he'll need support. I hope Wimer is back in (didn't see if he played last Saturday). And I hope Bach is back and able to play both ways a bit. I still think we are at our worst in unsettled play, so the more we can slow the transition and be patient on both O and D, the better. I also think we'll need a big day from our goalie, whoever it may be.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Ted didn't ask, and Coach Raymond didn't volunteer any info on the injured list. Hope Datellas isn't on it. Though he was hurting late v Providence. It would be great to get all of the walking wounded back. Unfortunately, we haven't been lucky in that department.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Not sure why the injury bug is an annual discussion. Didn't seem to happen "back in the day"? Is it a repetitive motion thing due to playing too much lax? We never had a strength & conditioning coach yet we seemed to avoid the mass injury bug...
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:02 pm Not sure why the injury bug is an annual discussion. Didn't seem to happen "back in the day"? Is it a repetitive motion thing due to playing too much lax? We never had a strength & conditioning coach yet we seemed to avoid the mass injury bug...
So many theories on that. Lots of coaches believe it is from early specialization in one sport. We have fewer "free range" kids ... in all sports. Add the desire to be noticed in high school, and the year round leagues and repetitive injury is likely. It's a catch 22. Not sure if we are affected any more than anyone else. Would be worth finding out. Sometimes I wonder if we over train. Everything is so regimented these days.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:11 pm
FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:31 am On paper, our chances don't look good...but, SU's D is as equally inept as ours, so we should get our chances. Biggest problem I see is getting the ball past Mark. F/O's and offense "should be" fine, but to Ketch's point, worried that SU gets on a run and our D looks bewildered as they have at many times this season. That having been said, the SU game is a big event and perhaps our guys can play a full 60 minutes and make it competitive..
Podcast emphasizes pass count, which I think is right. When we pass well, we play well. When we start relying on one on one dodges, we fall apart. We also cough up the ball too quickly and tax the D. If we can hold some possession, but still play quickly, we've got a chance to get the ball past Mark. At that point, it will be up to the D. I go back to the long stretches this year and last when we held opponents scoreless. We can do it, but we've got to hold the line for more than just 20-25 minutes. We will really be relying on the ssdms on Saturday. I love our mullet wearing Canadian, Kyle Driscoll, but he'll need support. I hope Wimer is back in (didn't see if he played last Saturday). And I hope Bach is back and able to play both ways a bit. I still think we are at our worst in unsettled play, so the more we can slow the transition and be patient on both O and D, the better. I also think we'll need a big day from our goalie, whoever it may be.
He may still be a bit green and “over aggressive” (though I’d rather that than passive) but I liked what I saw from Dino vs Prov overall. Race has been solid though he did try to spoilt a double team on a clear that if he saw both defenders was ugly, possible he didn’t see the one from behind.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

The concern is sliding discipline and leaving guys wide open(especially inside). Haven't really seen many SU dodgers get to the goal consistently 1v1, save Kirst. Hiltz & Spallina have their moments, but not consistently. SU has no problem jamming the ball inside--even when the guy is covered--they trust the guy to catch and finish. I think Laxgunea mentioned we have to stay on the feeder's hands and not let them hang out and feed w/o pressure. I watched all of SU's games this season and come away amazed that some defenses don't pressure the ball more. Hiltz is often allowed to sit on the left side and throw flat footed skip passes to the back pipe...that can't be allowed to happen tomorrow!
Last edited by FMUBart on Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Goalie getting lit up, face off losses and ssdm’s getting exposed, off ball defenders giving too much space to known shooters like Birwhislle & Hiltz. After going up 2-0, can’t win a face off.
Offense generating some nice looks, at least.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

How are you getting ACCN+ to see this? I keep getting blocked.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:34 pm How are you getting ACCN+ to see this? I keep getting blocked.
I have it as part of ESPN plus offerings

Our bigger athletes making an impact::: Bach, Simas & Dattellas

Don’t really understand starting a freshman in goal in this game?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:38 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:34 pm How are you getting ACCN+ to see this? I keep getting blocked.

Wilson’s not at fault for the Cuse scoring their shooting is perfect. Not much you can do about Spallinas goals or some of those perfect one timers

Possession killing us
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Goalie hurting us in the clearing game. Bach & Simas need to play midfield defense, we are getting exposed—especially with our lack of size—at the midfield. Leo has a hat trick?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:58 pm Goalie hurting us in the clearing game. Bach & Simas need to play midfield defense, we are getting exposed—especially with our lack of size—at the midfield. Leo has a hat trick?
The overall clearing game is sketchy and hasn’t been great in weeks but sure he’s not helping.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:51 pm
FMUBart wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:38 pm

Wilson’s not at fault for the Cuse scoring their shooting is perfect. Not much you can do about Spallinas goals or some of those perfect one timers

Possession killing us
Not hard to shoot/score with time & space… You could hear Raymond during the timeout, “…they’re doing whatever they want”

Our offensive effort is encouraging—we’re able to generate decent opportunities nearly every possession.Mark is solid, otherwise we’re only a couple behind.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

I like Bart's freshman keeper... he needs help. He made some amazing saves.

Also, kudos to Raymond. It's nice to see some coaches staying in shape.
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

A frustrating result. Elis settled in eventually, but put Kevin in the goal. It’s really clear that we don’t have a distinct starter… let’s go with the experience. I’ve seen Kevin be fantastic in many instances. Also, this group of guys could have so much success offensively if they played that collective style consistently. Way too much hero ball today. Lots of standing and watching one guy attempt to create… that’s not us. Defensively, we were just exposed by a very skillful offense. Lots to learn from going into conference play.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Thank goodness that one is over. That game was hard to watch. 2-0 start was encouraging but it went south fast. SU’s level of talent is just something we’re not equipped to play against.

SU’s D pushed us around all day, forced us into crappy shots that made Mark look like an AA. Will probably be our lowest shooting numbers we’ll see all season. All the forced (and errant pass) turnovers were brutal too.

Wilson hung in there considering, the SU shooting was just too good. Holtby probably should have started given his experience but it wouldn’t have mattered. Cuse was too precise.

I guess it’s nice we start A10 play vs St Bonnies. The team must be pretty demoralized after that.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

tech37 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:22 pm I like Bart's freshman keeper... he needs help. He made some amazing saves.

Also, kudos to Raymond. It's nice to see some coaches staying in shape.
Yes he’s half a Petro. A 8yr old kid will do that for you
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FL-GO wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:31 pm Thank goodness that one is over. That game was hard to watch. 2-0 start was encouraging but it went south fast. SU’s level of talent is just something we’re not equipped to play against.

SU’s D pushed us around all day, forced us into crappy shots that made Mark look like an AA. Will probably be our lowest shooting numbers we’ll see all season. All the forced (and errant pass) turnovers were brutal too.

Wilson hung in there considering, the SU shooting was just too good. Holtby probably should have started given his experience but it wouldn’t have mattered. Cuse was too precise.

I guess it’s nice we start A10 play vs St Bonnies. The team must be pretty demoralized after that.
None of the goalies would’ve done anything, Doc Schneider wouldn’t have stopped 2/3 of the ones that went in and we were outshot 60/33 despite winning GBs and FOs. Offense had one assist. This play is the opposite of The 19-20 teams Moving the ball around.

Also seems like Raymond plays the syracuse area kids a lot more. Having Grooms, Delaney and 1-2 others play while Greene, Peterkin and a few others sit mostly says a lot about how the game was approached.

Nice to see Herlihy, Horton and Duby in late. If that’s a sign they’re healthy for league play then that is promising.

We lose some guys but this is 2018 and hopeful we turn next season into 2019.
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:50 pm
FL-GO wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:31 pm Thank goodness that one is over. That game was hard to watch. 2-0 start was encouraging but it went south fast. SU’s level of talent is just something we’re not equipped to play against.

None of the goalies would’ve done anything, Doc Schneider wouldn’t have stopped 2/3 of the ones that went in and we were outshot 60/33 despite winning GBs and FOs. Offense had one assist. This play is the opposite of The 19-20 teams Moving the ball around.

Also seems like Raymond plays the syracuse area kids a lot more. Having Grooms, Delaney and 1-2 others play while Greene, Peterkin and a few others sit mostly says a lot about how the game was approached.

Nice to see Herlihy, Horton and Duby in late. If that’s a sign they’re healthy for league play then that is promising.

We lose some guys but this is 2018 and hopeful we turn next season into 2019.
I think saying it’s 2018 is a bit much… that team was 4-10 and this team is currently .500. I still think they’ll be competitive in conference

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”