D3 Mens Lacrosse
Bigdawg69

Re: York 2023

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Yikes. Cabrini round 1?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

York has “hung” with some of the best teams out there this year. And fwiw they’ve wanted a Tufts rematch since the 2021 tournament…

From last year, lest we forget;
ah23 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:14 pm … CNU just has so much firepower on offense. I don't think this will be a blowout, but I do think this is the part of the season where York's inability to run with high-powered teams costs them...
pcowlax wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:46 pm ... I think York is better than all but the top 2 or 3 teams in the country. Unfortunately for them, this is one of those teams. Named after a 0ne-armed pirate, the Captains show they can use both hands and sail on to the semis…
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:47 am Following York the past five years I believed that this year might get them to a final 4. Only 2 losses this year RIT and Salisbury. They will cruise thru the tourney until the CNU game and then it’s over.…
overandback wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:37 pm CNU 11-8
JBFortunato wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:15 am CNU 22
York 14
Laxdds wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:36 am CNU 15
York 12
Etc etc….
DeepPocket wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:06 am …. As for CNU, you won’t find too many people betting against them versus anyone this season, but plenty of “teams of destiny” have fallen over the years...
BUT, Cabrini first.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

Cabrini fan here. Toughest first round matchup of the tournament. Cabrini has been lackluster against ranked opponents this year and had some goalie issues but really looking forward to this game.
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Cabrini with a similar make up to last year York.. stud freshman comes in to lead team with 94 points. Drew opponents top pole by end of game 1 he will be a tough task. Not as good as years past as evident by getting completely wrecked 24-7 by tufts. But nonetheless Cabrini cannot be overlooked even on a “down year”
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

FO's are pivotal in the tournament. Both York and Cabrini FOGO's are absolute DAWGS. Teams both played Salisbury and Eastern. Guys had similar stat lines vs Salisbury but Cabrini FOGO went 14-15 at Eastern. Not saying that will be the case Saturday but the matchup at the dot will be fun to watch.
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Early Cabrini scouting report:

Stud freshman. 3 of top 5 scorers are first years. Herraiz out of jersey is the real deal. Could’ve gone d1 but chose Cabrini. He had 94 points on the season he’s the straw that stirs the offense. Good Senior pure scorer in McManus who had a 50+ goal season. Goalie also a freshman. He is hot and cold. Run 2 FOGOs a lot. Both combined around 73%

Best wins: OWU, Endicott, Hampden-Sydney

Losses: Dickinson (11-16) Lynchburg (7-11) Tufts (7-24) Salisbury (7-14)

Lost to the 4 best teams they played probably sounds about right sitting behind those 4 but they have talent. Just 4 years ago they won it all. I think York wins but will need to be on their toes
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:51 pm Early Cabrini scouting report:

Stud freshman. 3 of top 5 scorers are first years. Herraiz out of jersey is the real deal. Could’ve gone d1 but chose Cabrini. He had 94 points on the season he’s the straw that stirs the offense. Good Senior pure scorer in McManus who had a 50+ goal season. Goalie also a freshman. He is hot and cold. Run 2 FOGOs a lot. Both combined around 73%

Lost to the 4 best teams they played probably sounds about right sitting behind those 4 but they have talent. Just 4 years ago they won it all. I think York wins but will need to be on their toes
I believe Cabrini will be starting the grad transfer from Ursinus. The freshman got pulled after the first half against Salisbury and they've been rolling with the grad student since.
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Not Suitable wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:59 pm
Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:51 pm Early Cabrini scouting report:

I believe Cabrini will be starting the grad transfer from Ursinus. The freshman got pulled after the first half against Salisbury and they've been rolling with the grad student since.
Ahh gotcha. Only game I saw them play this yr was against endicott and the frosh actually looked pretty good that game. Gotta ride the hit hand tho.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

York Women are hosting 1st and 2nd round this weekend, with a bye, and facing the winner of Stevens vs Scranton on Sunday. So Kinsley field won’t be sitting quiet.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Seems like a lot of chatter about Cabrini in this York thread. York’s defense is playing at a very high level. The offense is being lead by Harnick who is playing at an elite level. Cabrini’s weak conference schedule has not prepared them for the playoffs and the goalie switch has be bolstered by the fact that they played mostly their conference schedule. They average 8 goals against the 4 best teams they played and their leading scorer had two goals in those 4 games while Harnick had 15 goals against the 7 playoff teams that York played. Seems like and advantage for York. Goalie play has been stabilized at York, also an advantage for York. I don’t see many actual advantages that Cabrini has entering this game.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Hopefully childs have the team focused on fundamentals and smart decisions (like subbing middies before the get tired). Tufts is going to be a run and gun team and that can get out of hand quick. But Cabrini is going to be methodical. I would also consider running a zone to slow the game down.

Gotta get by Cabrini first. On paper, York should handle them. They seem similar to Stevenson.

Long road trip for the boys. I am sure they will enjoy it.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

York has the toughest road to the championship game. They have to beat Cabrini, Tufts, Denison or Lynchburg, and then RIT or Middlebury. If they knock off all those teams, they deserve the NC. Good Luck to them.
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:53 pm Hopefully childs have the team focused on fundamentals and smart decisions (like subbing middies before the get tired). Tufts is going to be a run and gun team and that can get out of hand quick. But Cabrini is going to be methodical. I would also consider running a zone to slow the game down.

Gotta get by Cabrini first. On paper, York should handle them. They seem similar to Stevenson.

Long road trip for the boys. I am sure they will enjoy it.
The team’s pre this week is going to be huge. Childs lost then the Tufts game a couple years ago from trying to be Tufts at what they’re best at, run and gun. Ran the boys into the ground that week. Perfect what you do best and slow tufts down.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

The12lov3 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:05 pm York has the toughest road to the championship game. They have to beat Cabrini, Tufts, Denison or Lynchburg, and then RIT or Middlebury. If they knock off all those teams, they deserve the NC. Good Luck to them.
Don’t forget Salisbury/CNU if the make the championship game.

Potentially facing ex national champs in Cabrini, tufts, RIT, and Salisbury. I wonder if any team has ever made it through that kind of tournament
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:45 pm
The12lov3 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:05 pm York has the toughest road to the championship game. They have to beat Cabrini, Tufts, Denison or Lynchburg, and then RIT or Middlebury. If they knock off all those teams, they deserve the NC. Good Luck to them.

Potentially facing ex national champs in Cabrini, tufts, RIT, and Salisbury. I wonder if any team has ever made it through that kind of tournament
Or forgetting CNU/Salisbury - point was that if they can make it to the final beating those teams, then they deserve to win but they would still have to win the championship.
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

You brought up an interesting point so I did some digging...

I'd say Wesleyan had a similar route, maybe with a little less travel. "Wesleyan's 2018 NCAA Tournament run featured victories over SUNY Cortland (16-12), then-No. 8 Cabrini (12-7), at then-No. 2 Tufts (12-11), at then-No. 1 RIT (19-18) and then-No. 3 Salisbury. Wesleyan, who had lost its previous two games to Tufts—once in the regular season and again in the NESCAC Championship game—earned a thrilling victory over the Jumbos in the NCAA Quarterfinals as Taylor Ghesquiere '18 scored the game-winning goal with just 20 seconds remaining in regulation. Four days later, Wesleyan traveled up to Rochester, N.Y. for a Final Four showdown against the No. 1 team in the country. In a rematch from 2017, the Cardinals prevailed this time around in an instant classic, 19-18, as they handed RIT its only loss of the year (21-1)."

You can look at this entire year and see examples of underdogs knocking out opponents. Look at some of the playoff losses this year from teams that were projected to be some of the best...Middlebury, Union, CNU, Swarthmore, Lynchburg to name a few.
Good teams have bad days. I think York is clicking at the right time. Will it be enough to take down Tufts, well that is up to them.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

MacAttack wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:32 pm

You brought up an interesting point so I did some digging...

I'd say Wesleyan had a similar route, maybe with a little less travel. "Wesleyan's 2018 NCAA Tournament run featured victories over SUNY Cortland (16-12), then-No. 8 Cabrini (12-7), at then-No. 2 Tufts (12-11), at then-No. 1 RIT (19-18) and then-No. 3 Salisbury. Wesleyan, who had lost its previous two games to Tufts—once in the regular season and again in the NESCAC Championship game—earned a thrilling victory over the Jumbos in the NCAA Quarterfinals as Taylor Ghesquiere '18 scored the game-winning goal with just 20 seconds remaining in regulation. Four days later, Wesleyan traveled up to Rochester, N.Y. for a Final Four showdown against the No. 1 team in the country. In a rematch from 2017, the Cardinals prevailed this time around in an instant classic, 19-18, as they handed RIT its only loss of the year (21-1)."

You can look at this entire year and see examples of underdogs knocking out opponents. Look at some of the playoff losses this year from teams that were projected to be some of the best...Middlebury, Union, CNU, Swarthmore, Lynchburg to name a few.
Good teams have bad days. I think York is clicking at the right time. Will it be enough to take down Tufts, well that is up to them.
Nice work on the digging.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I see several people talking past Cabrini a little and I sure hope the team is not doing that as they are dangerous. I do feel like York has an advantage on defense but I also feel like people have been sleeping on #4 who has had to deal with everyone's top pole and has done a really good job of adjusting to it. I think that Harnick and Mayer are great compliments for each other and Mayer should probably have even more points but he has been unlucky with some of his assists. It is hard to see on the video, but it does appear like Mayer takes quite a beating as he dodges. I really like the Adjustment that York made to the attack by using Russo, Townsend and last week Wilhelm all kids who can carry but do not need to have the ball in their stick and can finish around the goal. Also, the middies are underrated passers, especially Burbank and Fisher who have made some unreal passes. I do feel like the offense is finding there footing and if Grayson and Wilhelm continue to break out of mini-slups it should bode very well for the Spartans
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

Asgot wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:58 pm Seems like a lot of chatter about Cabrini in this York thread. York’s defense is playing at a very high level. The offense is being lead by Harnick who is playing at an elite level. Cabrini’s weak conference schedule has not prepared them for the playoffs and the goalie switch has be bolstered by the fact that they played mostly their conference schedule. They average 8 goals against the 4 best teams they played and their leading scorer had two goals in those 4 games while Harnick had 15 goals against the 7 playoff teams that York played. Seems like and advantage for York. Goalie play has been stabilized at York, also an advantage for York. I don’t see many actual advantages that Cabrini has entering this game.
The Cabrini thread is nonexistent on this forum so looking to generate some hype and talk about the game. Cabrinis top goal scorer (#34) had 11 goals against the best 4 teams they played. Their leading point producer #27 ran through the midfield the first 3 games and didn't start on attack until their best player from last year was dismissed from the team. In those 4 games he scored 2 goals, but had 13 assists and two of the games he was running through the box.

Just trying to add expand on points you made. You're absolutely right based off the optics of Cabrini's season. They haven't performed against any teams who made the tournament so everything does point to a York W. I'm just happy to be here and looking for a good game.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

While it is clear that Cabrini is a capable team it does seem like against their better competition they have struggled to get started 7-1 after 1 vs. Dickinson, and halftime scores of 8-0, 11-1 and 17-4.

I think that this game hinges on 3 things - Face-offs, Turnovers, and empty possessions. Cabrini has a 2 headed monster at the face-off X winning about 74% of their faceoffs. York is going to have a good game plan to compete at the X on Saturday. Both teams at susceptible to turnovers so the one who can possess the ball and limit TO will have the advantage. Need to limit empty possessions on offense, long possession, and good shots should be the order of the day. I believe the team that does these things better will put themselves in a great place to advance.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”