Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
RedIvy

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by RedIvy »

Really well played and coached game. Clearly Long is a difference maker, his presence requires a very different defensive strategy and then creates opportunity for everyone. Billy Coyle can do it all as well.

Really liked the ball movement…. Looked like offense from recent years.

Great game for Ierlan with limited rebounds on saves.

Good to see Blake have a good game as well.

3 Different looks on FO is an advantage.

I liked the different looks on defense as well.

I really liked the announcer giving such high praise for Adler as potentially the biggest contributor in D1 lacrosse. I was disappointed not to see him in the IL top 12 Tewaaraton candidates. Adler had a great game but I honestly can’t remember him not having a great game.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

RedIvy wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:26 pm Really well played and coached game. Clearly Long is a difference maker, his presence requires a very different defensive strategy and then creates opportunity for everyone. Billy Coyle can do it all as well.

Really liked the ball movement…. Looked like offense from recent years.

Great game for Ierlan with limited rebounds on saves.

Good to see Blake have a good game as well.

3 Different looks on FO is an advantage.

I liked the different looks on defense as well.

I really liked the announcer giving such high praise for Adler as potentially the biggest contributor in D1 lacrosse. I was disappointed not to see him in the IL top 12 Tewaaraton candidates. Adler had a great game but I honestly can’t remember him not having a great game.
Honestly, is Adler the best d1 lacrosse player? When you can tell this guy, go cover the other teams best player or most lethal threat, which he does better than anyone, then expect the dude to have multiple caused turnovers of which once the balls on the ground, he's a human vacuum cleaner.
I made the argument that in the upcoming draft season that he should go #1 as freakish talent like his is a once in a lifetime chance.
So is he the best College Lacrosse player? I think I just gave my opinion.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Wow! Seeing the Big Red in person today was quite something. Congratulations! Richie Moran would have been impressed today, and very proud of the young men in red. Terrific team effort today by every man in red, both individually and as a collective unit. Phenomenal performance today by Cornell, and devastating.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Made the trip from sunny FL to equally sunny, but much cooler CT. Great effort by the boys and the coaching staff - especially on a very short practice week (campus was closed on Tuesday due to snow and Friday was a travel day).
-I believe Yale scored the first 2 goals of the 1st quarter and 2nd quarter - and none thereafter - 12-4.
-Yale got the first in the 3rd, and lost the quarter 4-1.
-After failing on the first 3 clears, Cornell totally dominated possession. The ride was never a problem afterwards and Yale seemed to go in and out of full out hard rides. 5, 13, and 18 all showed excellent speed on clears.
Offense:
'Really good ball movement; nothing like the preponderance of one-on-one last week. Everyone was far more aggressive, and the middies in particular definitely had pep in their step. WHY the week to week difference? Not sure, probably a combination of:
a) PSU being much better defensively, scheme wise and personnel
b) Long's presence provided 3 scoring threats at attack + "protected" skewed focus on Kirst. Note - Long played most on a wing and Coyle at X.
c) Two seemingly subtle personnel changes at mid-field. Buczek kept Wirtheim on the 1st but added Sheehan and moved Blake to 2nd line. This put 2 dodgers on each line. Also, Sheehan (though he scored 2) played more complimentary as Licciardi did last year and Wirtheim looked like an alpha (like last year) and stopped deferring. He was really good today - so talented with both hands. Bottom line - better skill set and chemistry fit between the two lines.
-Yale started the game double polling Cornell's middies with a ss on Long. That stopped after Long started scoring.
-Far less pressure on Kirst today to "make something happen."
-Sheehan - didn't know he had some of things I saw today in him.
Defense:
-Close and ss's, as usual, really worked hard. And were very aggressive, pressing out. Perhaps too much so. In the 2nd quarter, they were susceptible to speed dodges from the corners and on top (in particular, #13 on Wallace). The sustained moved to zone was very effective. And for a longer stretch than I would have thought. Adler playing at the top of the zone is extremely effective.
-Wallace - 1G and 1A! Love his emotion.
Ierlan - again looked very good. And his game to game consistency has improved as well.
-13 has cemented his role as a regular rotation shortie.
*FOGO "by committee." A luxury, being able to see who's working best.
*I thought officials (like in football) were trying to protect head and neck injuries? Flagrant missed calls today on hits to Box and Kirst just to name two.
Penn next week - another very important Ivy game.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Also flew from FL and met up with VRR and family. Lots of good comments about a great overall performance. One point not mentioned- when Ierlan came out injured his ankle was heavily taped. He was lights out for the entire game but noticeably limping when coming off the field. Hopefullly, he will be good to go next week as he is having an AA caliber season. Pretty sure Box’s play was mentioned. He is small but quick and really stepping up as the 4th short stick. Very smart with the ball, particularly for a freshman at a new position. Also, I’m not sure Coyle gets fully recognized for his great play- excellent speed and quickness, can feed or score with either hand. As does Kirst, he finds a way to finish when there seems to be little or no angle.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Just looked at the score sheet and ADLER had 8 groundballs. Sheesh, I didn't really look that hard but he probably had as many as the Fogo' s did.

His skills are freakish.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:37 pm Just looked at the score sheet and ADLER had 8 groundballs. Sheesh, I didn't really look that hard but he probably had as many as the Fogo' s did.

His skills are freakish.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
In his interview with QK, Adler noted that his high school coach was obsessed with ground balls (my words, not his). It's interesting how this early training has gone from strength-to-strength.
Last edited by faircornell on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:44 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:37 pm Just looked at the score sheet and ADLER had 8 groundballs. Sheesh, I didn't really look that hard but he probably had as many as the Fogo' s did.

His skills are freakish.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
In his interview with QK, Adler noted that his high school coach was obsessed with ground balls (my words, not his). It's interesting how this eary training has gone from strength-to-strength.
Possession (winning) lacrosse starts with face-offs and gbs. Actually, face-offs are gbs, so I'll just stick with gbs.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
DMac

Post by DMac »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:37 pm His skills are freakish.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
They really are, he's something else.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:02 pm Don't forget to tune in ESPN at 7PM Eastern to see if Vito & Yianni can win National Championships in wrestling. GO BIG RED!
They both won! Yianni is now just the 5th man ever to win 4 NCAA wrestling championships, Cornell's Kyle Dake being one of the other 4.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:16 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:02 pm Don't forget to tune in ESPN at 7PM Eastern to see if Vito & Yianni can win National Championships in wrestling. GO BIG RED!
They both won! Yianni is now just the 5th man ever to win 4 NCAA wrestling championships, Cornell's Kyle Dake being one of the other 4.
Yes, congratulations to those two young men and to Coach Grey and the Big Red who finished 3rd behind Penn State and Iowa in the team standings!
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Trumansburger wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:43 pm
CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:16 pm
Yes, congratulations to those two young men and to Coach Grey and the Big Red who finished 3rd behind Penn State and Iowa in the team standings!
+1
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

And Vito won Most Outstanding Wrestler because he beat highly-ranked, really good wrestlers very badly on his way to the title.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Here is Vito's final bout against two-time defending national champ Roman Bravo-Young of PSU:

And here is Yianni's final bout against Sammy Sasso of OSU:

Great quote from the announcer during Yianni's match: "Cornell looking for its first national champion since 20 minutes ago."

Bonus for all lax fans: QK interviews after each bout.

LGR!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

enterprise wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:21 pm And Vito won Most Outstanding Wrestler because he beat highly-ranked, really good wrestlers very badly on his way to the title.
You all might appreciate this.

Spencer Lee lost.

As far as I can tell, that’s just his 3rd overall loss stretching from
high school to college.
Spencer Lee lost the PA state finals at 125 as a senior, and then only two losses at Iowa. Not only that, but he got pinned in the semis at 1 second remaining tied in the 3rd with over a minute of riding time in his favor.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Yes, that loss broke the longest current unbeaten streak in D1. The next longest was Roman Bravo-Young ...
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:02 pm Yes, that loss broke the longest current unbeaten streak in D1. The next longest was Roman Bravo-Young ...
Good to know 👍
Ivyman

Yale Game

Post by Ivyman »

It's really a shame the video production was so bad at the Yale game - some of the published clips that were not from the broadcast are amazing, including the instagram clip of Adler putting Brandau on his a$$. Adler actually shut Brandau out. Not even a shot until the fourth quarter, and his goal came against Wallace with only 9 minutes left, off an unsettled play that started with Adler probably 70 feet away. Even then Adler almost got back into him.

And that's not to blame Wallace, the pole that no one talks about, who was a wrecking crew all over the field. He had the big hit on Brandau in the third quarter that the Yale play-by-play guy was complaining about (that of course looked good to me.) After laying that big hit he immediately got back to the crease to lay the second big hit of the sequence on Brad Sharp, I think.

It's a shame Johnson got a just-doesn't-matter goal as time ran out, woulda been sweet to hold them to single digits. And, with Ierlan getting 2 successive games with 21 saves, I woulda like to have scored 21 on Yale

I would hate to be Princeton who, after losing in OT to Penn last night, gets to play Yale this weekend.

And we need to keep this same intensity and toughness to handle Handley 8-) and Penn next.
CU77

Re: Yale Game

Post by CU77 »

Ivyman wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:32 pm I would hate to be Princeton who, after losing in OT to Penn last night, gets to play Yale this weekend.
Or Yale who, after getting crushed by Cornell, gets to play a Princeton team smarting from two straight OT losses.

And Massey favors the Tigers:

yvp.jpg
yvp.jpg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 769 times
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Ok. I see your point, but I'd be willing to put my money on the underdog Dogs. Gimme the 1 1/2.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”