Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
blue angels

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by blue angels »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:51 pm
blue angels wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:28 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:38 pm Maher is a huge pick-up. Can't have enough lefty shooters.
I hope Maher finds the right fit for him, but he only played 4 games when the whole bench was cleared. His stat line this year was 1 shot, no goals, 1 assist. Are you expecting him to come in next year and be a real difference maker? IMO, I would call that a true long shot.
Kumar, McIntosh, Walshe, and other highly touted freshmen on offense didn't play either. I don't think it necessarily says anything about him (or any of these guys for that matter) that he wasn't able to break into Virginia's starting rotation. When you have two player of the year candidates and Dox Aitken is like your fourth best midfielder, there isn't going to be room for a true freshman to get meaningful playing time.

I also think there's a difference between "real difference maker" and "contributor." The assumption should obviously not be that he's going to come in and transform the offense and be an All-American. But I think it's reasonable to expect he will have a role.

Shellenberger redshirted as a freshman and seemed to do just fine this past year. To be clear I am not saying Maher will be Shellenberger or anything close but I don't think it's wise to draw many conclusions from the mere fact he didn't play much as a freshman—especially this past season, when so many of them didn't get to play out their senior years of high school and entered college cold. I think pretty much everyone in the class of 2020 deserves something of a mulligan.
Not to deviate from the topic, and I don't know much about Hop, but Dox was the 4th best midfielder???? That's an interesting point to make when teams constantly poled him. Shellenberger was injured in Fall ball, his 1st season and decided to redshirt as a result. It wasn't because he wasn't good enough. He was tearing it up in practice when he returned to health and Lars struggled with the idea of keeping the redshirt on. I hope Maher finds the right spot.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Maher is a good get for the program. Is he going to be a star? Probably not, but he was very highly thought of coming out of HS and UVa did and does have a pretty stacked roster. And I would expect him to be a contributor over the next three years. I would also think he would have been a very desirable transfer candidate - doubt he was wanting for offers and he picked Hop. Which is good news. Even better if Cuse wanted him.

Would I prefer he was listed as "M" rather than "A/M"? Yeah, but seems to have the size and athleticism to survive at M, which seems to be a place where can use some help.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:06 pm I would also think he would have been a very desirable transfer candidate - doubt he was wanting for offers and he picked Hop. Which is good news. Even better if Cuse wanted him.
Funny you say that—everyone and their mother said he was going to Brown a few weeks ago and that it was a done deal. Guess not.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:25 pm
AreaLax wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:01 pm Xanders’ twitter
Former @UVAMensLax attack/middie Russell Maher is set to transfer to @JHUMensLacrosse, he confirmed to IL. A four-star recruit in 2020 out of Mount Sinai (N.Y.), the athletic lefty played in four games for the Wahoos in 2021, registering one assist.
Very interesting. Three years of eligibility left, good size and appears to be athletic and capable of filling multiple roles. Have to imagine he thinks there's a good shot at playing time.

Your top 9 at this point is probably something like:

DeSo
Epstein
Grimes
Degnon
Peshko
McDermott
Angelus
Keogh
Maher

Middie lines and 3rd attack spot TBD but it'll likely be some combination of these guys barring a freshman or underclassman unexpectedly stepping up, which of course is possible. Or another transfer. But if there are any more incoming I feel like they'd be more likely to be SSDM or LSM.
-If maher can come in, hold a job, give consistent offense-1-2 points a game and not be a liability when caught on defense I'll take that from him next year. the cuse forums think he can provide competition and depth for grimes.
-grimes and epstein didn't have the 2021s they probably wanted. Going to be interesting what PM says and does there in fall ball.
-Keough had good health his first 2 years but has missed time the last 2 years. It's not fair to count on a full 15-19 games there.
-someone not on this list will probably emerge in fallball and join the rotation by midseason either by playing his way up the depth chart or attrition like they do every year.
-only issue is PM seemed to like having angelus on the same line as degnon, but if Peshko and Mcdermott are too hot for line 2, he's not a bad 2nd option.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:17 pm
-only issue is PM seemed to like having angelus on the same line as degnon, but if Peshko and Mcdermott are too hot for line 2, he's not a bad 2nd option.
Pehsko, Degnon, and McDermott are the three best middies going forward, but if you run them all on the first line you don't have much left of the second. Maybe you move Peshko to the first line and let Keogh run with McDermott and Maher.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:29 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:17 pm
Pehsko, Degnon, and McDermott are the three best middies going forward, but if you run them all on the first line you don't have much left of the second. Maybe you move Peshko to the first line and let Keogh run with McDermott and Maher.
I think the key thing is to have offensive balance on any given 6-on-6 situation. Before the emergence of Peshko and Grimes the last few games of the season, we were often running an offensive without a single outside or left-handed shooting threat (Degnon being the only option for either). Now, you have multiple pieces that can be interchanged: creators/ invert threats (Keogh, Angelus, McDermott), outside threats (Degnon, Peshko, Grimes), lefty finishers (Grimes, Degnon, Maher), righty finishers (Epstein, Peshko) in addition to two threats from X (Deso, Epstein). We were pretty efficient by the ned of the year 6-on-6 and there's no reason to think we can't pick up right where we left off..
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

nyjay wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:06 pm Maher is a good get for the program. Is he going to be a star? Probably not, but he was very highly thought of coming out of HS and UVa did and does have a pretty stacked roster. And I would expect him to be a contributor over the next three years. I would also think he would have been a very desirable transfer candidate - doubt he was wanting for offers and he picked Hop. Which is good news. Even better if Cuse wanted him.

Would I prefer he was listed as "M" rather than "A/M"? Yeah, but seems to have the size and athleticism to survive at M, which seems to be a place where can use some help.
Maher was originally a Cuse commit under early recruiting for a while before de-comitting with a handful of other guys in the summer and fall of 2019. Really Good player in HS but obviously a stacked roster at UVA to break in at attack. Not sure who else was involved but from what I heard Cuse did not reach out this time around, not sure what Hopfan is referencing.
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:18 pm
nyjay wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:06 pm Maher is a good get for the program. Is he going to be a star? Probably not, but he was very highly thought of coming out of HS and UVa did and does have a pretty stacked roster. And I would expect him to be a contributor over the next three years. I would also think he would have been a very desirable transfer candidate - doubt he was wanting for offers and he picked Hop. Which is good news. Even better if Cuse wanted him.

Maher was originally a Cuse commit under early recruiting for a while before de-comitting with a handful of other guys in the summer and fall of 2019. Really Good player in HS but obviously a stacked roster at UVA to break in at attack. Not sure who else was involved but from what I heard Cuse did not reach out this time around, not sure what Hopfan is referencing.
Cuse did reach out once he was in the portal. Maher apparently had no interest. Maher is a Mt. Sinai kid, from what I understand Spallina Sr tried to encourage him to look at Cuse but he wasnt interested.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

CrazyPeople wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:44 pm

Cuse did reach out once he was in the portal. Maher apparently had no interest. Maher is a Mt. Sinai kid, from what I understand Spallina Sr tried to encourage him to look at Cuse but he wasnt interested.
Yes he is a Mt. Sinai kid, he played with Spallina many times. Certainly Mr. Spallina could have reached out and encouraged him to consider SU, but from what I have been told SU did not. Desko and now Gait is said to be only looking at a short term option (Grad guy) as they want spots open for Spallina and Leo next year both of whom may start from Day 1 and they don't really need another Lefty attackmen. I haven't heard anything about SU reaching out to attackmen besides Khan and that was never a realistic option.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Not the Cuse thread but that seems like a weird way to start a new culture over there. Last thing you need is one-year mercenary types as you try to get everybody to buy in. Not like they are one piece away either. If they're going to get anyone it should be somebody that can help them beyond next season and fits into what they want to do longterm.

Anyway—I didn't mean to imply Cuse thought they were getting Maher. I meant that people on the Cuse boards were excited when news of his entry into the portal hit, which they were. Pretty sure the guy who posted the news did so with the caption "Yes, Please," or something to that effect.

Some 2022 schedule rumblings are trickling out and let's just say the guy who came in here bloviating about how Milliman only wants to play cupcakes wasn't quite on the right track.
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:17 pm -If maher can come in, hold a job, give consistent offense-1-2 points a game and not be a liability when caught on defense I'll take that from him next year. the cuse forums think he can provide competition and depth for grimes.
-grimes and epstein didn't have the 2021s they probably wanted. Going to be interesting what PM says and does there in fall ball.
-Keough had good health his first 2 years but has missed time the last 2 years. It's not fair to count on a full 15-19 games there.
-someone not on this list will probably emerge in fallball and join the rotation by midseason either by playing his way up the depth chart or attrition like they do every year.
This is one of your most reasonable posts in a long time 06—when you just stick to the lacrosse and don't go off in la la land it's a much better experience for everyone. Only thing I'd add is pretty sure Keogh was banged up his freshman season as well, as he was coming off a major lower body injury his senior high school season. So I'm not sure that we've ever really seen him fully healthy.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:25 pm Not the Cuse thread but that seems like a weird way to start a new culture over there. Last thing you need is one-year mercenary types as you try to get everybody to buy in. Not like they are one piece away either. If they're going to get anyone it should be somebody that can help them beyond next season and fits into what they want to do longterm.

Anyway—I didn't mean to imply Cuse thought they were getting Maher. I meant that people on the Cuse boards were excited when news of his entry into the portal hit, which they were. Pretty sure the guy who posted the news did so with the caption "Yes, Please," or something to that effect.

Some 2022 schedule rumblings are trickling out and let's just say the guy who came in here bloviating about how Milliman only wants to play cupcakes wasn't quite on the right track.
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:17 pm -If maher can come in, hold a job, give consistent offense-1-2 points a game and not be a liability when caught on defense I'll take that from him next year. the cuse forums think he can provide competition and depth for grimes.
This is one of your most reasonable posts in a long time 06—when you just stick to the lacrosse and don't go off in la la land it's a much better experience for everyone. Only thing I'd add is pretty sure Keogh was banged up his freshman season as well, as he was coming off a major lower body injury his senior high school season. So I'm not sure that we've ever really seen him fully healthy.
With Hiltz only going to be a JR in 2023 and Spallina and Leo both obviously being Freshmen I believe those three are thought of as the long term pieces at attack and that a one year fill in or bridge guy would be better then adding yet another body to an attack group that besides Hiltz is projected to be 10 deep next year already. SU brought in two young transfers at D and Midfield and I think if another middie they liked came on board they would be active there but the pikcins for the most part have been slim.

Keep in mind Gait wants to cut down the roster as he's hinted that its a bit bloated which isn't exactly untrue. Nothing against Mahar I would have preferred to have keep him committed back in HS but don't think either side has interest at this point.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:10 pm

Yes he is a Mt. Sinai kid, he played with Spallina many times. Certainly Mr. Spallina could have reached out and encouraged him to consider SU, but from what I have been told SU did not. Desko and now Gait is said to be only looking at a short term option (Grad guy) as they want spots open for Spallina and Leo next year both of whom may start from Day 1 and they don't really need another Lefty attackmen. I haven't heard anything about SU reaching out to attackmen besides Khan and that was never a realistic option.
this is not for you specifically, jeremy, as you're certainly up on a lot of things as are others...
who here has any first hand knowledge on whether su was interested (and whether they're keeping open spots)? and by first hand i mean the guys making the calls and receiving them?
i only ask as we now have 4? peeps saying opposite ends of the spectrum.
i also ask so hop can maybe fully claim to beating out cuse (no hijack).
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:42 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:10 pm

this is not for you specifically, jeremy, as you're certainly up on a lot of things as are others...
who here has any first hand knowledge on whether su was interested (and whether they're keeping open spots)? and by first hand i mean the guys making the calls and receiving them?
i only ask as we now have 4? peeps saying opposite ends of the spectrum.
i also ask so hop can maybe fully claim to beating out cuse (no hijack).
Good point, certainly possible my information is wrong and SU kicked the tires on Maher and some others. I had some interest in him specifically as I remembered him from when he was an SU commit so I did mention him by name with the person I communicated with. Again though certainly I could be wrong. I personally thought SU would take a look at Murphy at attack but was told No on that as well so maybe they just aren't/weren't looking at bringing in additional attackmen.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:25 pm Not the Cuse thread but that seems like a weird way to start a new culture over there. Last thing you need is one-year mercenary types as you try to get everybody to buy in. Not like they are one piece away either. If they're going to get anyone it should be somebody that can help them beyond next season and fits into what they want to do longterm.

Why is it weird? Especially when you don’t know who the player(s) are. If it’s a All American type talent, you’d say no because they are only there for one year? Nothing helps team culture like winning, and good players help that. Of course it depends on the player. If it’s a replacement level guy, then I agree, I would just rather see what the younger players can do. Syracuse specific, if they can get a guy like Joe Yevoli or Kevin Dougherty then absolutely. If it’s a Nick Piroli, then I don’t think that helps a lot. But again, it really depends on the player.

You’re right, the Orange aren’t one player away, but they need to stay competitive in the ACC and I’m sure there is a lot of pressure to get the new Gait tenure off to a good start. This team still has talent (they did beat UVa twice last year after all). It’s certainly not a rebuilding year as they have a lot of seniors especially on offense.

As for Maher, I’ll admit I was disappointed to see him going to Hop, as his high school tape was impressive. I’m a bit worried about the SU midfield after this year and it seems like he could have helped. But what Syracuse needs right now is sure things and right now he doesn’t look like that. They are probably very committed to their 2022 class and might worry they’ll scare some away if they load up with underclass transfers. They bring in Nick Caccomo from Yale and Tyler Cotes from Navy as freshmen transfers already.

Feel free to move this to the Syracuse thread.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Powellfan22 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:34 pm

Why is it weird? Especially when you don’t know who the player(s) are. If it’s a All American type talent, you’d say no because they are only there for one year? Nothing helps team culture like winning, and good players help that. Of course it depends on the player. If it’s a replacement level guy, then I agree, I would just rather see what the younger players can do. Syracuse specific, if they can get a guy like Joe Yevoli or Kevin Dougherty then absolutely. If it’s a Nick Piroli, then I don’t think that helps a lot. But again, it really depends on the player.

You’re right, the Orange aren’t one player away, but they need to stay competitive in the ACC and I’m sure there is a lot of pressure to get the new Gait tenure off to a good start. This team still has talent (they did beat UVa twice last year after all). It’s certainly not a rebuilding year as they have a lot of seniors especially on offense.

As for Maher, I’ll admit I was disappointed to see him going to Hop, as his high school tape was impressive. I’m a bit worried about the SU midfield after this year and it seems like he could have helped. But what Syracuse needs right now is sure things and right now he doesn’t look like that. They are probably very committed to their 2022 class and might worry they’ll scare some away if they load up with underclass transfers. They bring in Nick Caccomo from Yale and Tyler Cotes from Navy as freshmen transfers already.

Feel free to move this to the Syracuse thread.
Thanks for the offer, but we should keep the posts on the Hopkins thread. It will help our thread page count!

DocBarrister (Everybody gotta dream, ya know?) :D
@DocBarrister
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Who exactly is Hopkins competing against in the thread page count? Hopkins wins that every year and it's not close.

I guess Transfer Portal is beating Hopkins.

Maybe there's symbolism.

Anyway, it's not an accurate count since the thread is on performance-enhancing cat memes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Gatsby wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:19 am Who exactly is Hopkins competing against in the thread page count? Hopkins wins that every year and it's not close.
It's just a running joke. I don't think anyone actually cares, and if they do, they need a lobotomy.
Powellfan22 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:34 pm Why is it weird? Especially when you don’t know who the player(s) are. If it’s a All American type talent, you’d say no because they are only there for one year? Nothing helps team culture like winning, and good players help that. Of course it depends on the player. If it’s a replacement level guy, then I agree, I would just rather see what the younger players can do. Syracuse specific, if they can get a guy like Joe Yevoli or Kevin Dougherty then absolutely. If it’s a Nick Piroli, then I don’t think that helps a lot. But again, it really depends on the player.

Goes without saying that if we're talking about a premier AA talent then you pull the trigger. If Chris Gray had picked Hopkins for instance even for just a year I'd have been thrilled. Khan and Lulley were probably on the fringe of that category so if Cuse landed them for a year I probably wouldn't begrudge them for it but anyone below that group and I don't think it makes any sense at all to bring a guy in for a year given where they're at. Same for us.

Spallina is obviously going to play right away but I wouldn't necessarily pencil Leo in. He looks promising but is not an inevitable day one starter in the same way Spallina is. A really good get for Syracuse would be Teddy Dolan, the Bing goalie with multiple years left.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Our rivals I've learned have other message boards and university interest areas-cuse hoops, maryland football, uva confederacy legacy etc. Navy used to give us a run on page counts.

fascinated how zinn does, where they put him on the field and where he goes. I was rather tough on him, but he was one of the higher rated recruits we've had, still has eligibility, and the speed is elite. Concannon had a nice year last year, so I'm sure baskin will do alright w/nova. Don't know where the other guys are headed.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

In-person alumni festivities Oct. 15-16

First real fall ball (scrimmages too, I'm assuming) under the new staff—curious what their policy on filming from the stands will be. HOB, might be time to dust off the camera

Pretty sure they handed out uniform numbers to incoming freshmen—Chris Wong has #5 listed on social media. Either Calnan changed numbers or he too is an offseason casualty (was hurt all year). No info on that
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:26 am In-person alumni festivities Oct. 15-16

First real fall ball (scrimmages too, I'm assuming) under the new staff—curious what their policy on filming from the stands will be. HOB, might be time to dust off the camera

Pretty sure they handed out uniform numbers to incoming freshmen—Chris Wong has #5 listed on social media. Either Calnan changed numbers or he too is an offseason casualty (was hurt all year). No info on that
The men usually do a good job of getting the updated roster on the website. The women, not so much. Now whether or not guys are wearing their actual uniform numbers in fall ball is a different question.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”