Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
ardilla secreta

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by ardilla secreta »

DMac wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:48 am Looks pretty damn good to me too, youth, well done (not as in cooked meat).
Mine looked pretty much the same, gonna be darker around the edges but it's
all good. Prime rib is just good stuff.
Ditto, nice job. Boy I haven’t had prime rib in a loong time.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:26 am
DMac wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:13 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:01 am We'll have to compare notes.
Jean-Pierre gets a thumbs up from me and the black lab, don't know how it could be/turn out better.
Went by the book, did salt and pepper and leave in the fridge for 24 hrs, brushed a light coat of
melted butter on it when I took it out, threw some herb de provence on it, let it come to room
temp, put it in the oven at 250. Close to 4 hrs later it was at 129, did the 30 min rest, gave it the
500 degree blast for 10 min, and voi la, a mighty damn tasty prime rib. Little au jus dabbed with
a bit of horseradish on the plate, slice on top of that, a little more au jus on top. How does it get
better than that? Twice baked potato pretty darn tasty too. Jea-Pierre be da man.
Herb de provence was a new one to me, hadn't ever heard of it. Real good stuff, put some on a
burger...well, cheeseburger... the other night, goes real good on that.
Bones were met with approval by the lab, enjoyed a nice tasty one on the kitchen floor, cleaned it off
nicely and thoroughly enjoyed himself while doing so. He took a doggie bag with him, took the bare bone
and nice juicy one too. Labs are happy dogs, just fun loving tail waggin' fools. Fun dogs, I like the ballaholic
part too.
Slight mods but still came out great. Mine was 4-Bone, 10.5lbs
~Overnight in fridge with Sea Salt and Fresh ground pepper
~ Pulled from fridge @ 6am to come up to room temp
~ In oven @250 uncovered for close to 4 hours
~ Pulled and rested for about 75 minutes while sides cooked.
~ Coated with a homemade compound butter (Kerrygold, fresh diced garlic and dried rosemary), seared at 500 for 7-10 minutes.
~ Side -Sweet potatoes, Mac/Cheese, Homemade green casserole (fresh mushrooms and beans, heavy cream), and sadly I could not the yorkshire pudding we where very limited with kitchen accoutrements being in a house with 4 USNA grads :lol:

As you can see, it was a bit more gray on the edges than I would have preferred, but at the 11th hour the inlaws informed me, they like med to med-well....had I known this, I would have not allowed my son to get married. ;) :lol:

On Laxpower I solicited advice on prime rib (standing rib roast) and jhu6569 sent me a very kind private message with good advice. It's good to remember him.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Awesome!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I decided I wanted to make some (good) fruitcakes this holiday season to give as gifts. I'd seen Alton Brown's recipe for fruitcake as well as the mail order fruitcakes from Zingerman's in Ann Arbor and both looked great. Besides my sister-in-law, nobody in my family makes things to give as Christmas gifts, which I think is a bit of a shame.

I used Brown's recipe, with some modifications. https://altonbrown.com/recipes/free-range-fruitcake/
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

My wife and I are doing prime rib for Christmas dinner. We have a slight problem. The instructions she has read on line are the opposite of what I learned from you folks. Her instructions say you do the 500 degree blast first then let the prime rib rest and then finish it at 250. Will both methods work?? I think there is only one right way to do it. I want this prime rib to be perfect.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes, both will work. The reverse sear makes more sense to me. My friend grew up in the restaurant business ( father bartender, mother waitress) and really is an outstanding cook. He does the reverse sear, was actually the first guy to clue me in on that. You should cook it whichever way you're most comfortable with, it'll come out just fine.
Watch this video, Jean Pierre knows what he's doing (that herbs de provence is good stuff).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cgtAw21MM4&t=205s
Au jus...very simple, cooked mine for 3-4 hours. Skip the tomato, better without it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whtbrb_--Hc&t=631s
A little horseradish on your prime rib is outstanding....just a little.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:13 am Yes, both will work. The reverse sear makes more sense to me. My friend grew up in the restaurant business ( father bartender, mother waitress) and really is an outstanding cook. He does the reverse sear, was actually the first guy to clue me in on that. You should cook it whichever way you're most comfortable with, it'll come out just fine.
Watch this video, Jean Pierre knows what he's doing (that herbs de provence is good stuff).
Au jus...very simple, cooked mine for 3-4 hours. Skip the tomato, better without it.
TYVM Dmac. We are going to roll with the reverse sear. I also like your idea for using Herbs De Provence. The 4 herbs used are a natural match for a prime rib. Rosemary, Marjoram, Thyme and Sage. Do you recommend a compound butter to brush on it or not? The thought of adding garlic to the butter seems to me to add another layer of flavor.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:47 am
DMac wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:13 am Yes, both will work. The reverse sear makes more sense to me. My friend grew up in the restaurant business ( father bartender, mother waitress) and really is an outstanding cook. He does the reverse sear, was actually the first guy to clue me in on that. You should cook it whichever way you're most comfortable with, it'll come out just fine.
TYVM Dmac. We are going to roll with the reverse sear. I also like your idea for using Herbs De Provence. The 4 herbs used are a natural match for a prime rib. Rosemary, Marjoram, Thyme and Sage. Do you recommend a compound butter to brush on it or not? The thought of adding garlic to the butter seems to me to add another layer of flavor.
I was going to suggest mapping out the open Chinese restaurants nearby.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DMac

Post by DMac »

I did brush mine with butter before putting it back in for the final ten minutes, just regular butter.
Don't see it as a big game changer but all the little things matter a little bit. I think it's pretty hard
to screw up a prime rib, just follow how long to cook per pound and check the temp when you're
close to the time and it'll come out fine.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:08 am
I did brush mine with butter before putting it back in for the final ten minutes, just regular butter.
Don't see it as a big game changer but all the little things matter a little bit. I think it's pretty hard
to screw up a prime rib, just follow how long to cook per pound and check the temp when you're
close to the time and it'll come out fine.
I agree with DMAC here. I have done both ways cradle. I prefer the 500 blast method, but then you can't use the oven until the PR is done. With the 2nd method, you can let it rest for easily an hour while other items are in the over (you can also use this time to drain the juices if you want to make an au jus or gravy) then give it the reverse sear while the table is being set, and everyone is getting situated. Be mindful, that the reverse sear will smoke the house up a bit, so have someone ready to fan the smoke detectors just in case.

As long as you have a good thermometer that can get in to the center of the PR you'll be fine.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ardilla secreta

Pho Dac Biet This has been a regular part of my culinary routine for over 25 years. Yesterday I was at my regular joint, Pho Golden, in Niagara Falls Little Italy (or what used to be). Pho broth with rare beef, beef brisket, flank, tendon, tripe and Vietnamese meatball. Perfect on a chilly day.
8DD3588A-F4D4-43B2-9802-57A5DB4E8BC3.jpeg
8DD3588A-F4D4-43B2-9802-57A5DB4E8BC3.jpeg (94.61 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:45 pm Pho Dac Biet This has been a regular part of my culinary routine for over 25 years. Yesterday I was at my regular joint, Pho Golden, in Niagara Falls Little Italy (or what used to be). Pho broth with rare beef, beef brisket, flank, tendon, tripe and Vietnamese meatball. Perfect on a chilly day.
How do get to liking tendon and tripe? Can’t get into either in general, pho or otherwise.
ardilla secreta

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:04 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:45 pm Pho Dac Biet This has been a regular part of my culinary routine for over 25 years. Yesterday I was at my regular joint, Pho Golden, in Niagara Falls Little Italy (or what used to be). Pho broth with rare beef, beef brisket, flank, tendon, tripe and Vietnamese meatball. Perfect on a chilly day.
How do get to liking tendon and tripe? Can’t get into either in general, pho or otherwise.
There’s nothing to it. The tripe, book tripe in this case, is thin and ribbon-like. More about chewy texture than flavor and is perfect for dipping into some Sriracha. Tendon when cooked right comes out somewhat gelatinous and is like chewing a slippery, beefy oyster. All part of the package.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:36 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:04 pm
There’s nothing to it. The tripe, book tripe in this case, is thin and ribbon-like. More about chewy texture than flavor and is perfect for dipping into some Sriracha. Tendon when cooked right comes out somewhat gelatinous and is like chewing a slippery, beefy oyster. All part of the package.
Guess I'm just too much like goldilocks with my meat! (boy I sound hungry for something there...)

Unless it's dry jerky I'm out on chewy and don't love fatty unless it's Pork Belly.
ardilla secreta

Fresh out of the oven cornbread with high fat Polish butter.
51812649-2BAE-4AA1-89AF-59448236CE59.jpeg
51812649-2BAE-4AA1-89AF-59448236CE59.jpeg (116.4 KiB) Viewed 468 times
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Osetka butter -- checked but couldn't find any shops here in Lake Wobegone that sold it. I bet it adds a lot of flavor to foods. For some reason, I cannot resist adding butter to my dishes whether soups or casseroles. To me, butter is irresistible even on top of bacon burgers. Yum, yum!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Amazon links, but I can find both locally, especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas:

Plugra, an American butter with the same 82% fat content.

Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter. Imported, but also easily available. Comment on this listing is that it was banned in Wisconsin for being too good. Unlikely (more likely protectionism), but both give a special experience compared to a typical Land of Lakes pat.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

This is my current goto...lovin in: Danish Creamery
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nice looking cornbread, a s, that's good stuff.

If you have Aldi out there you can find this there, Brook.
Have never tried the Polish butter a s shows but can tell
you the Irish butter is really good stuff, I always have one
one on hand.
Countryside Creamery Pure Irish Butter appears to be a solid option for people who want Irish butter but are looking to get it for a little less than Kerrygold prices. Aldi Irish butter spreads and tastes a lot like Kerrygold, and it even has a slightly lower sodium content. That said, Irish butter is more expensive than American butter — even Irish butter sold by Aldi — so whether you want to spend the extra money is a matter of preference. If Irish butter is your thing, Countryside Creamery’s version is worth a look.
https://www.aldireviewer.com/countrysid ... sh-butter/
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Countryside Creamery Pure Irish Butter

I have not seen that one but will check for it. Perhaps Lunds-Byerly may have it. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”