Cornell 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxjuris

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by laxjuris »

Ezra White wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm Over on the Yale thread, someone said, the Ivy League plans to request a blanket waiver/extra year for all spring sport athletes. So seniors may have the option of playing next year, but they'd have to be either independently wealthy and not needing to work, or they'd be in grad school.

How would that work out?
It's not the way I hoped it would play out, but maybe this turn of events will cause the Ivies to allow grad students who haven't used their 4 years of eligibility continue to play. Heck, the Olympics were once an all "amateur" gig, and they ultimately saw the light and let the pros participate.
WestVillCornell

Post by WestVillCornell »

the acc and the big 10 will be out poaching all the good players w scholarship offers

this is so sad

Feel awful for the players, their families, coaches and fans

At least they went out with a bang on Sunday!
shoothi

Post by shoothi »

Fear is terrible
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Well, it's our first undefeated season since 1977!

It'd be great to extend eligibility, although I don't know if the top players would opt for it.

Very best wishes to the players , their families, and the coaches.

Good health to all.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

WestVillCornell wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:39 pm the acc and the big 10 will be out poaching all the good players w scholarship offers

this is so sad

Feel awful for the players, their families, coaches and fans

At least they went out with a bang on Sunday!
I was at the game on Sunday and it was one of the best games I’ve ever seen in my life. Thanks for the great memory. Cornell had a fantastic team this season. I am sad for everyone in and around your program. This team had a very real chance at making it to championship weekend.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Ivy League Presidents canceled spring sports but are allowing winter teams in playoffs to play. Either there is danger or there isn't. Truly outrageous and foolish.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:35 pm Ivy League Presidents canceled spring sports but are allowing winter teams in playoffs to play. Either there is danger or there isn't. Truly outrageous and foolish.
Harvard has forfeited its ECAC hockey QF at RPI. Nothing yet regarding Cornell or any of the other series.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

faircornell wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:42 pm Well, it's our first undefeated season since 1977!

It'd be great to extend eligibility, although I don't know if the top players would opt for it.

Good health to all.
FC great post in the Ivy thread about supporting local business- you should repeat it here.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:35 pm Ivy League Presidents canceled spring sports but are allowing winter teams in playoffs to play. Either there is danger or there isn't. Truly outrageous and foolish.
Its a joke.
A nightmare of a joke.

A historic season in the making for Teat and the Big Red, they were starting to remind me of those epic ‘70s teams.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

So sad to see the Ivy League shut down the season. Love to watch the many great players and teams. As a Hobart fan we will miss the Cornell game this year, we finally have a team that might have given Cornell a real fight...but we'll never know. Best to all the Senior players and parents for all the great memories.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Not exactly. The argument the presidents are making is they're shutting down the campuses, after Spring Break as a rule. In Cornell's case SB is 3/28 to 4/6. After that there won't be services, classes, or anything else to support students, sanitize the weight rooms, etc. This is their logic for cancelling spring sports.

As for winter sports, the Ivies have already dropped their BBall tourney, so it's now in the hands of the NC$$. Wrestling and Women's Hockey wrap up by 3/22, so they're not an issue. And for Men's Hockey the national championship is only five days after SB ends, on 4/11. (If we're in it, and let's hope we are, and let's hope the administration figures out how to let the team be on campus to prepare.)
Last edited by Ezra White on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:08 pm
faircornell wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:42 pm Well, it's our first undefeated season since 1977!

Good health to all.
FC great post in the Ivy thread about supporting local business- you should repeat it here.
In the school closing thread, I asked that people consider patronizing small local businesses during the crisis. The local sporting goods store, coffee shop, restaurant, barber, etc are often hardest hit. Often these small businesses are extremely attentive to hygiene issues, since it is their livelihood.

Good health to all.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I don't know the schedules, but are the winter sports playoffs wrapped up in the next handful of days, or are they looking at weeks and weeks of further play? What support services are necessary to keep them going a few days longer, what risk to those food workers, etc?

The "danger" is primarily the spread of the virus, which is, unfortunately, soon to hit any large gatherings. The kids themselves are not at high risk, but the spread of the virus through them is something the Ivy Presidents have decided is huge deal, rightfully so IMO.

The virus hasn't yet hit these campuses (as far as we know), but it would be calamitous for any college if/when it does. Clock is ticking.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Ezra White wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:29 pm
Not exactly. The argument the presidents are making is they're shutting down the campuses, after Spring Break as a rule. In Cornell's case SB is 3/28 to 4/6. After that there won't be services, classes, or anything else to support students, sanitize the weight rooms, etc. This is their logic for cancelling spring sports.

As for winter sports, Wrestling and Women's Hockey wrap up by 3/22, so they're not an issue. And for Men's Hockey the championship is only five days after SB ends, on 4/11. (If we're in it, let's hope we are, and let's hope the administration figures out how to let the team be on campus to prepare.)
Ahhh, you answered my question as I was posting.
That's what I thought might be the case re schedules for the winter sports playoffs.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:32 pm
I don't know the schedules, but are the winter sports playoffs wrapped up in the next handful of days, or are they looking at weeks and weeks of further play? What support services are necessary to keep them going a few days longer, what risk to those food workers, etc?

The "danger" is primarily the spread of the virus, which is, unfortunately, soon to hit any large gatherings. The kids themselves are not at high risk, but the spread of the virus through them is something the Ivy Presidents have decided is huge deal, rightfully so IMO.

The virus hasn't yet hit these campuses (as far as we know), but it would be calamitous for any college if/when it does. Clock is ticking.
MD, see my post shortly before yours. I believe it explains the presidents' rationale (as reported).
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:33 pm
Ezra White wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:29 pm

As for winter sports, Wrestling and Women's Hockey wrap up by 3/22, so they're not an issue. And for Men's Hockey the championship is only five days after SB ends, on 4/11. (If we're in it, let's hope we are, and let's hope the administration figures out how to let the team be on campus to prepare.)
Ahhh, you answered my question as I was posting.
That's what I thought might be the case re schedules for the winter sports playoffs.
Hey, we've got to stop cross-posting like this! ;)
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

It's difficult to express my thoughts on the termination of the season, for Cornell Lax players...and all other college (or HS for that matter) athletes who worked so hard in preparation for the season. The circumstances being faced by the Ivies, professional sports ranks, the business community...every aspect of public life, represent uncharted turf. I'm sure the Ivy administrators considered health & safety, legal, financial, and educational implications of the decisions they've made during the last few days.

From an emotional standpoint, there is part of me that says -- segregate the athletes on campus and let them finish the season playing in spectator-restricted venues. Certainly...none of the athletes fall into the at risk age category. Bottom line, it appears that the administrators made a call looking to avoid a worst case scenario rather than hope for/assume a best case scenario.

As for the Cornell Lax players and coaches, a job well done. Too bad the entire season could not have played out; the 2020 team looked like a special team. 'Best of luck to the seniors (who like the Yale lax seniors) never played a home game in 2020. I feel fortunate to have attended the game vs. Penn State in Charlotte. Two heavyweights, a neutral site, and a play-off like atmosphere.
Last edited by VeryRustyRed on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Might be old news, but Yale has dropped out of ECAC ice hockey play. Cornell would go straight to semi final if they stay in.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Ezra White wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:35 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:32 pm

MD, see my post shortly before yours. I believe it explains the presidents' rationale (as reported).
yes, thanks; we were posting simultaneously. ;)
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Cornell Lacrosse posted a really classy one minute video on Instagram. Perhaps someone might share the link. I'll try to do so as well. Very well worth watching. It's a tribute to 2020.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”