Trump's Russian Collusion

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Peter Brown

Re: IMPEACHMENT ... Public Opinion Starting to Turn.

Post by Peter Brown »

wahoomurf wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:50 am
dislaxxic wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:02 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:33 amThis might really bum you out Disslaxx, but I (and likely most Americans) aren't really tuned into this stuff - ie, don't care. Prefer my politicians to focus on matters that affect us via our wallet, health, civil rights, and security. Impeachment imo is a distraction of the highest order.
Fair enough. What has this guy done for "our wallet, health, civil rights and security"? Are you happy with how those items have been handled?

Would also point out that many of our right-leaning friends around here (not you, i know) are interesting in nothing BUT the "extra-curricular stuff when there is a D in the Oval office. Guess it's OK for them to now look the other way on all this fluff and want to focus on the "important stuff" of the governance of our great country...
This Peter's declaration that he doesn't care about Legal Process and upholding an oath of office, reminds me of the folks at the outset of Trump's campaign. To wit those who unashamedly declared they DIDN'T CARE ABOUT TRUMP'S MORAL COMPASS or lack of same. :roll:

A wife is just a wife. People change their socks, don't they? So what if he stuck "we the people" with covering his 4-5 bankruptcies? If he chooses to refuse to pay workers and contractors....who givzza?

I have no idea if MOST AMERICANS "don't care". I can only speak for myself. I know I don't want my grandkids and greatgrandchildren to grow up in the BRAVE NEW WORLD Trump wishes to create. His attempts to DISTRACT the Populus in my little corner of the U.S. is sickening...IMO. Obviously, this Peter is OK with that. :!:

À chacun son goût.

I'm actually not "ok with that", if by that you mean his character, but I do tend to look at issues with balance...call it cynicism or realism, depending on the day. Not to say I am correct, maybe I am burned out on politics writ large, but truth of the matter is I find myself not having the luxury of looking at matters in black and white. I apologize in some sense because I know he both repulses and scares a ton of folks. OTH, I have many, many families that depend on the health of my company and I think of them first. The economy is good...to deny that is to deny reality. Feeding your kids and putting clothes on them is a moral imperative, imo.

You might believe that Trump's outlandish Tweets and overall character outweigh any positive impact his administration had had on the economy, and I would never fault you for that. At the end of the day, America is strong and shall always be so, regardless of who occupies the office. I have never gotten worked up about any occupant of the POTUS...for the most part, I feel that they all try to do their best, even Trump. I realize you disagree, but to each his own indeed.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:54 am
wahoomurf wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:52 am As I have for the last 35 years, I attended The Al Smith Dinner. It is a fund-raising event held in NYC and is among the more iconic events held in NY every year. Because it is a local event (has never been held in D.C., Baltimore, Boston or The Doral), I imagine very few FanLax folks may have heard of The Dinner.

Our table, one of many GS alumnae tables scattered throughout The Hilton, was buzzing about Slick Mick's bizarre public confession. Many in our group are registered Republicans and gave $$$$ to Trump's successful 2016 campaign. Then, General Mattis moved to the mic...a pin-drop moment.

We pretty much agreed that the General's wry comments were among the best given at The Dinner in decades. Thought Cardinal Dolan was going to keel over with laughter. Once again, a Squatload of money was raised. The money is used to support the disenfranchised no matter their race, religion or political affiliation.

N.B.Trump only hires the best people. Acting COS Mick's is da' man. On the other hand, General Mattis is the most overrated General in the world. Who hired General Mattis?

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CARMEN SAN DIEGO AND BILLIE BOY BARR :?:
I suspect you would be wrong about this. Al Smith is certainly very well known in the US. Any group discussing US politics has got to be pretty aware of this event. Perhaps the average LAX fan would not be.
BHO made that event infamous...his roast of Donald's birther conspiracy was THE motivator for Trump to run and erase everything Obama signed.

Who will get the last laugh has yet to be determined.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

General Mattis mocking Trump’s cowardice was funny. He’s got good timing.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

wahoomurf wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:52 am As I have for the last 35 years, I attended The Al Smith Dinner. It is a fund-raising event held in NYC and is among the more iconic events held in NY every year. Because it is a local event (has never been held in D.C., Baltimore, Boston or The Doral), I imagine very few FanLax folks may have heard of The Dinner.

Our table, one of many GS alumnae tables scattered throughout The Hilton, was buzzing about Slick Mick's bizarre public confession. Many in our group are registered Republicans and gave $$$$ to Trump's successful 2016 campaign. Then, General Mattis moved to the mic...a pin-drop moment.

We pretty much agreed that the General's wry comments were among the best given at The Dinner in decades. Thought Cardinal Dolan was going to keel over with laughter. Once again, a Squatload of money was raised. The money is used to support the disenfranchised no matter their race, religion or political affiliation.

N.B.Trump only hires the best people. Acting COS Mick's is da' man. On the other hand, General Mattis is the most overrated General in the world. Who hired General Mattis?

I suspect you would be wrong about this. Al Smith is certainly very well known in the US. Any group discussing US politics has got to be pretty aware of this event. Perhaps the average LAX fan would not be.
ANY GROUP DISCUSSING POLITICS IN THE USA WOULD KNOW OF AL SMITH AND THE WORKS OF THE FOUNDATION? :roll:

HOLY HAT! Don't know where in the country you happen to reside. But around these parts, group political discussions are rampant. Ever since Trump was legally elected, he's is THE salient topic of group discussion. Neither of us can prove or disprove, statistically, your point. Color me a skeptic. But I'd a wager a shekel or 2 fewer than 20% would know of Al Smith. :o

For example, I find it hard to imagine that guys hanging around the barbershop in Phenix City Alabama or the patrons of the Zombie Pig Barbecue across the river in Columbus Georgia would have a clue about Al Smith.
Last edited by wahoomurf on Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:32 am
CU88 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:21 am So what would happen to, say, an Army procurement officer if he directed a no-bid contract to a company he owned?
What is "Get over it" (Mick Mulvaney)? Self-Dealing for 600 Alex....
doesnt mulvaney know- you really shouldnt admit your wrongdoings to the press!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3hsI3AUs88
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

"I was disturbed by the implication that foreign governments were being approached to procure negative information on political opponents."

Michael McKinley, on why he resigned from a career in excess of 35 years at the Department of State.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wahoomurf wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:45 am

I vigorously disagree.
I don't believe I am the only non-New Yorker (city) on this board to know of the Al Smith event. (bad attribute nesting fixed)
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:22 am The economy is good...to deny that is to deny reality. Feeding your kids and putting clothes on them is a moral imperative, imo
Respectfully, the economy isn't good for everyone. It's a good thing to remember thhat.
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:22 am You might believe that Trump's outlandish Tweets and overall character outweigh any positive impact his administration had had on the economy,
Ok, I'd like your opinion here: what do you think Trump did that had a positive impact on the economy?
ggait

Post by ggait »

Everyone knows about the Al Smith dinner, at least in election years. When the tradition is for both candidates to come and speak. It is always widely reported on because it is right before the election.

We all recall seeing Hillary and Trump go at it in 2016. Trump had a few good jokes -- his best line made fun of Melania's plagiarized speech. But he was also a jerk towards the end and got boo-ed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmvxx_YbDsM

One really weird personality trait of Trump. You almost never ever see him laugh. Comey said it freaked him out.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
ggait

Post by ggait »

doesnt mulvaney know- you really shouldnt admit your wrongdoings to the press!
It is called a Kinsley gaffe in Washington. Which is when a politician messes up by accidentally telling the truth.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

ggait wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:29 pm Everyone knows about the Al Smith dinner, at least in election years. When the tradition is for both candidates to come and speak. It is always widely reported on because it is right before the election.

We all recall seeing Hillary and Trump go at it in 2016. Trump had a few good jokes -- his best line made fun of Melania's plagiarized speech. But he was also a jerk towards the end and got boo-ed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmvxx_YbDsM

One really weird personality trait of Trump. You almost never ever see him laugh. Comey said it freaked him out.
but sure, we get it, it is VERY important, and full of VERY IMPORTANT people.....the yokels outside the Burroughs just don't get it.....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:10 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:45 am

I vigorously disagree.
I don't believe I am the only non-New Yorker (city) on this board to know of the Al Smith event. (bad attribute nesting fixed)
ANY GROUP WAS THE REFERENCE POINT.That would include non-new yorkers, new yorkers and even folk from Tucumcari, New Mexico.ANY GROUP.
ggait

Post by ggait »

WahooMurf -- I've never been to Al Smith. Closest I ever got to that level of fabuloso was the Friendly Sons Dinner.

Question -- do you actually own your white tie and tails? Or do you have to rent?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:16 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:22 am The economy is good...to deny that is to deny reality. Feeding your kids and putting clothes on them is a moral imperative, imo
Respectfully, the economy isn't good for everyone. It's a good thing to remember thhat.
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:22 am You might believe that Trump's outlandish Tweets and overall character outweigh any positive impact his administration had had on the economy,
Ok, I'd like your opinion here: what do you think Trump did that had a positive impact on the economy?

The economy is never ‘good for everyone’. If that was our metric, we may as well call it a day.

As to Trump, he signed The sweeping tax law changes. For businesses, the law permanently lowered the corporate tax rate to 21 percent, down from 35 percent, and temporarily allowed businesses to fully deduct new U.S. investments. This has been a boon to aviation, which in the US means 2,500,000 employees and families. I give him credit here as his Administration crafted this law and fought for it. It has meaningfully impacted millions of American families.

And again, I’m no Trumper. I’d vote for Biden over him. And I thought GWB was our worst POTUS ever.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:57 pm

The economy is never ‘good for everyone’. If that was our metric, we may as well call it a day.

As to Trump, he signed The sweeping tax law changes. For businesses, the law permanently lowered the corporate tax rate to 21 percent, down from 35 percent, and temporarily allowed businesses to fully deduct new U.S. investments. This has been a boon to aviation, which in the US means 2,500,000 employees and families. I give him credit here as his Administration crafted this law and fought for it. It has meaningfully impacted millions of American families.

And again, I’m no Trumper. I’d vote for Biden over him. And I thought GWB was our worst POTUS ever.
Aerospace industry was struggling before Trump?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

As we all know and as the data shows, the Trump corporate tax cuts primarily flowed into increased stock buybacks. Buybacks aren't bad for the economy but they aren't especially productive either. But they do help push stock prices up.

Turns out that companies were already investing plenty in R&D. So it didn't really make sense to invest more. Even if you have more dollars available, it is dumb to invest more unless you have a well thought out and productive place to make those incremental investments. In all situations, it is dumb to make business decisions based on taxes. You should make business decisions because they are good business.

The main issue, though, is that the tax cuts were put on a credit card in the middle of generally good economic times featuring historically low interest rates. Under Dem presidents (assisted by GOP Congresses) we generally narrow deficits during good times. When we have GOP presidents, unfortunately, we get unfinanced tax cuts and spending at the same or higher levels. Which will leave a bad hangover.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:20 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Aerospace industry was struggling before Trump?

The aviation industry, like others, is multi-dimensional; previously, some parts were good, some parts were okay; none were awful. I give Obama and especially Geithner so much credit.

Today, all parts are doing very very well. I give Trump credit here. This is a good industry for America, skilled labor, manufacturing and services (software and AI especially), growing fast. Obviously I have some selfish motives here, but not so obviously I actually care about most everyone who earns a paycheck and I want to see it continue.

My two no-go's are Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris, for different reasons (ironically, each is stronger where I see the other's glaring weakness). I like Joe Biden a great deal, for many reasons. I am afraid the DNC does not want him and is doing their part already to promote Warren whom they seem to be in love with. I like Kang, Pete, and to some extent Bernie. But it is obvious to me anyway that the DNC is angling this for Warren as much as they can.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:57 pm As to Trump, he signed The sweeping tax law changes. For businesses, the law permanently lowered the corporate tax rate to 21 percent, down from 35 percent
That only applies to profits. It's a corporate profit (or whatever accounting term you'd prefer) tax.

All that did was send US money overseas. Multiple outlets have covered that story.

This gives even more advantage to multinational corporations over companies like mine, as if they don't have enough advantages.

Hard pass.
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:57 pm temporarily allowed businesses to fully deduct new U.S. investments.
Bravo! You actually hit on the one single major change to our economy.

This actually helped businesses like mine. It's tweak to the code, but a big one. Have no clue why this wouldn't be permanent, as the US Treasury gets their money the following year, and every year following. It simply allows a full deduction for things like new pot stills.
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:57 pm This has been a boon to aviation, which in the US means 2,500,000 employees and families. I give him credit here as his Administration crafted this law and fought for it. It has meaningfully impacted millions of American families.
You left out $2.3 Trillion in massive economic stimulus. Every penny of it borrowed. That's what the average American uses to pay for things like plane tickets. Without that spending, we're not seeing any GDP growth at all. Right now, we're projected at 1.8% for the next quarter, and falling.

Americans are running out of money. The 1% has it all.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:36 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:57 pm As to Trump, he signed The sweeping tax law changes. For businesses, the law permanently lowered the corporate tax rate to 21 percent, down from 35 percent
That only applies to profits. It's a corporate profit (or whatever accounting term you'd prefer) tax.

All that did was send US money overseas. Multiple outlets have covered that story.

This gives even more advantage to multinational corporations over companies like mine, as if they don't have enough advantages.

Hard pass.
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:57 pm temporarily allowed businesses to fully deduct new U.S. investments.
Bravo! You actually hit on the one single major change to our economy.

This actually helped businesses like mine. It's tweak to the code, but a big one. Have no clue why this wouldn't be permanent, as the US Treasury gets their money the following year, and every year following. It simply allows a full deduction for things like new pot stills.
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:57 pm This has been a boon to aviation, which in the US means 2,500,000 employees and families. I give him credit here as his Administration crafted this law and fought for it. It has meaningfully impacted millions of American families.
You left out $2.3 Trillion in massive economic stimulus. Every penny of it borrowed. That's what the average American uses to pay for things like plane tickets. Without that spending, we're not seeing any GDP growth at all. Right now, we're projected at 1.8% for the next quarter, and falling.

Americans are running out of money. The 1% has it all.
My guess is that this pretty interesting dialogue belongs on the OD or Nation's Financial Condition threads. But it seems to me that the Trump Presidency will show whether personal financial progress among some voters will outweigh all of the other likely catastrophic consequences of the Trump years -- like the environment and clean water and clean air, the damage to the rule of law and trust in institutions, the destabilizing of the truth and brutalizing of facts and science, etc., etc. Let's try to remember this is where we started this experiment:

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

I know: it sounds haughty to even bring it up. But we are losing, and losing sight of the social contract that knits us all together. As Trump would say, "Sad." "Covfefe."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:22 am
wahoomurf wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:50 am
dislaxxic wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:02 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:33 amThis might really bum you out Disslaxx, but I (and likely most Americans) aren't really tuned into this stuff - ie, don't care. Prefer my politicians to focus on matters that affect us via our wallet, health, civil rights, and security. Impeachment imo is a distraction of the highest order.
Fair enough. What has this guy done for "our wallet, health, civil rights and security"? Are you happy with how those items have been handled?

Would also point out that many of our right-leaning friends around here (not you, i know) are interesting in nothing BUT the "extra-curricular stuff when there is a D in the Oval office. Guess it's OK for them to now look the other way on all this fluff and want to focus on the "important stuff" of the governance of our great country...
This Peter's declaration that he doesn't care about Legal Process and upholding an oath of office, reminds me of the folks at the outset of Trump's campaign. To wit those who unashamedly declared they DIDN'T CARE ABOUT TRUMP'S MORAL COMPASS or lack of same. :roll:

A wife is just a wife. People change their socks, don't they? So what if he stuck "we the people" with covering his 4-5 bankruptcies? If he chooses to refuse to pay workers and contractors....who givzza?

I have no idea if MOST AMERICANS "don't care". I can only speak for myself. I know I don't want my grandkids and greatgrandchildren to grow up in the BRAVE NEW WORLD Trump wishes to create. His attempts to DISTRACT the Populus in my little corner of the U.S. is sickening...IMO. Obviously, this Peter is OK with that. :!:

À chacun son goût.

I'm actually not "ok with that", if by that you mean his character, but I do tend to look at issues with balance...call it cynicism or realism, depending on the day. Not to say I am correct, maybe I am burned out on politics writ large, but truth of the matter is I find myself not having the luxury of looking at matters in black and white. I apologize in some sense because I know he both repulses and scares a ton of folks. OTH, I have many, many families that depend on the health of my company and I think of them first. The economy is good...to deny that is to deny reality. Feeding your kids and putting clothes on them is a moral imperative, imo.

You might believe that Trump's outlandish Tweets and overall character outweigh any positive impact his administration had had on the economy, and I would never fault you for that. At the end of the day, America is strong and shall always be so, regardless of who occupies the office. I have never gotten worked up about any occupant of the POTUS...for the most part, I feel that they all try to do their best, even Trump. I realize you disagree, but to each his own indeed.
How is choosing to hold a G-7 meeting at your own golf club doing your best when there are any number of other equally good venues if not better??
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”