Coaching Carousel

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by Dr. Tact »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:44 pm
laxrat1976 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:07 pm
8meterPA wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:00 pm I saw this over on the D3 thread but thought it would be of interest here -

https://athletics.carthage.edu/news/202 ... ector.aspx
Apparently Carthage College doesn't check references.

Are you sure you know the ENTIRE story as to why John Sung is no longer at VT? My guess is that Carthage knows more than you do.
Larry are you suggesting that there is more to the story, that has been rumored, that us Laxfans dont know?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

"...now he stands outside and all the neighbors start to gossip and drool."
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:44 pm
laxrat1976 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:07 pm
8meterPA wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:00 pm I saw this over on the D3 thread but thought it would be of interest here -

Apparently Carthage College doesn't check references.

Are you sure you know the ENTIRE story as to why John Sung is no longer at VT? My guess is that Carthage knows more than you do.
It's not surprising that if he wanted to keep coaching that he had to drop down to a lower level D3 school. Hopefully he's learned something from this experience and will make changes in how he handles his team. While no one should claim to know the ENTIRE story, I know quite a bit of the story. I certainly wouldn't allow my daughter to play for him.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Let's see how many of those who point the finger and make pronouncements of inappropriateness will step forward here. Talking about players and coaches and teams is off limits....unless of course it's John Sung, right?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:29 pm Let's see how many of those who point the finger and make pronouncements of inappropriateness will step forward here. Talking about players and coaches and teams is off limits....unless of course it's John Sung, right?
Straw man much? And you were doing so well!
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

A couple of interesting quotes from the article about JS and the job -

"...pushing boundaries and thinking outside of the box is exciting."

"I am excited to watch John interact with our current student-athletes and the campus community." :lol: :lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

"thought it would be of interest"?

And how does that square with this?
8meterPA wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:31 am You have to know your audience and the audience here is comprised of current players, former players, parents of current players, parents of former players, current coaches, former coaches, refs, well hopefully you get the idea.

So when you express an opinion, which you are obviously entitled to, that is "bold" or perhaps misguided or even wrong - you will get feedback. When you make emphatic statements, just to name a few, about NW reaching the final four but never having a chance, or UNC choking, or judging players to be marginal - I can tell you that you are getting a collective eyeroll. And when you can't read the room and know maybe when it's time to back off just a bit - because the "room" or "audience" are people who have years and years of real on the field experience are giving you insight from those years of real experience and you can't acknowledge that - well then the conversation becomes pretty non productive.

just my 2 cents.
Let me tell you that this kind of talk and innuendo about John Sung is greatly offensive to me. That's my feedback. Do I count as being part of the room to be read? Maybe it's time for you and the rest of the Sung condemners to back off. How about you do all your whispering and gossiping through private messages instead of out here on the boards? I thought I was clicking on Coaching Carousel to see which division 1 program hired a coach, not whispered rumors about what John Sung may or may not have done. Pretty non productive as I see it.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Actually I think for the most part people have kept the talk about Sung pretty general without getting into that actual events that led to his departure from VT. I am of the opinion that those details don't need to be broadcast to everyone. There's a reason he is no longer coaching at VT and his only option appears to be a low level D3 school in Kenosha, WI. I have not seen any of the details posted anywhere on here. He wasn't forced out because of whispers or gossip. There was actual evidence provided of what was going on. I'm not sure why that sort of talk is offensive to you, it's just the truth.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:29 pm Let's see how many of those who point the finger and make pronouncements of inappropriateness will step forward here. Talking about players and coaches and teams is off limits....unless of course it's John Sung, right?
wow
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:19 pm Actually I think for the most part people have kept the talk about Sung pretty general without getting into that actual events that led to his departure from VT. I am of the opinion that those details don't need to be broadcast to everyone. There's a reason he is no longer coaching at VT and his only option appears to be a low level D3 school in Kenosha, WI. I have not seen any of the details posted anywhere on here. He wasn't forced out because of whispers or gossip. There was actual evidence provided of what was going on. I'm not sure why that sort of talk is offensive to you, it's just the truth.
+100
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

hmmm wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:19 pm Actually I think for the most part people have kept the talk about Sung pretty general without getting into that actual events that led to his departure from VT. I am of the opinion that those details don't need to be broadcast to everyone. There's a reason he is no longer coaching at VT and his only option appears to be a low level D3 school in Kenosha, WI. I have not seen any of the details posted anywhere on here. He wasn't forced out because of whispers or gossip. There was actual evidence provided of what was going on. I'm not sure why that sort of talk is offensive to you, it's just the truth.
^^this^^, Sorry ONW. I too have heard enough and seen enough. Do not respect him, do not like him, well, you get the picture. I have been consistent for years on this topic. Do you think it is a whim to get you riled up? Nope. You can keep supporting him if you want, its a free country. BTW why is it "Greatly offensive to you"? had one conversation with him and he is your bestie?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Talk about being shipped off to Siberia. Exactly where he belongs. Bye.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:20 pm Talk about being shipped off to Siberia. Exactly where he belongs. Bye.
:D
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:46 pm A couple of interesting quotes from the article about JS and the job -

"...pushing boundaries and thinking outside of the box is exciting."
Chaser defense is definitely outside the box 👌😩
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:47 pm

"thought it would be of interest"?

And how does that square with this?
8meterPA wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:31 am You have to know your audience and the audience here is comprised of current players, former players, parents of current players, parents of former players, current coaches, former coaches, refs, well hopefully you get the idea.

So when you express an opinion, which you are obviously entitled to, that is "bold" or perhaps misguided or even wrong - you will get feedback. When you make emphatic statements, just to name a few, about NW reaching the final four but never having a chance, or UNC choking, or judging players to be marginal - I can tell you that you are getting a collective eyeroll. And when you can't read the room and know maybe when it's time to back off just a bit - because the "room" or "audience" are people who have years and years of real on the field experience are giving you insight from those years of real experience and you can't acknowledge that - well then the conversation becomes pretty non productive.

just my 2 cents.
Let me tell you that this kind of talk and innuendo about John Sung is greatly offensive to me. That's my feedback. Do I count as being part of the room to be read? Maybe it's time for you and the rest of the Sung condemners to back off. How about you do all your whispering and gossiping through private messages instead of out here on the boards? I thought I was clicking on Coaching Carousel to see which division 1 program hired a coach, not whispered rumors about what John Sung may or may not have done. Pretty non productive as I see it.
Really? you are the self proclaimed #1 JS fan and you had no interest in knowing that he landed a head coaching job? You're upset because you clicked on a link about his hiring? I thought you would have been the first to know via his insta or twitter account?

I don't think you're being sincere :roll:
Last edited by 8meterPA on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Just for the record, with respect to criticism, I do distinguish between players and coaches. Coaches have taken a job, oversight of a program and many young lives, a salary, sometimes from the public dole, and are absolutely fair subjects of criticism. I just don't feel the same way about scholarship athletes. Maybe there is something inconsistent in this, but that's how I see the world.

Sung's time at Carthage can be a redemption song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv5xonF ... MarleyVEVO
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:02 am Just for the record, with respect to criticism, I do distinguish between players and coaches. Coaches have taken a job, oversight of a program and many young lives, a salary, sometimes from the public dole, and are absolutely fair subjects of criticism. I just don't feel the same way about scholarship athletes. Maybe there is something inconsistent in this, but that's how I see the world.

I agree with all the above and even, the highlighted redemption....
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:02 am Just for the record, with respect to criticism, I do distinguish between players and coaches. Coaches have taken a job, oversight of a program and many young lives, a salary, sometimes from the public dole, and are absolutely fair subjects of criticism. I just don't feel the same way about scholarship athletes. Maybe there is something inconsistent in this, but that's how I see the world.

what's scary is that song is 40 years old, holy cow i'm old!
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:37 am

what's scary is that song is 40 years old, holy cow i'm old!
What's scary is I saw Marley in person at the Apollo Theatre in New York in 1979, and even remember a little of it.
DMac

Post by DMac »

There is nothing inconsistent in that, lumping 18-22 year old players who you mostly see in the heat of battle where mistakes are going to be made, and fully matured (hopefully) adult coaches who are guiding and shaping those players in the same group for criticism isn't reasonable thinking the way I see it. I'm completely in the dark here with Sung and his goings on but I will say the very first I saw him I didn't like his aura, didn't strike me as the kind of person I'd want to send my daughter off to be under the tutelage of. First impressions can be be wrong but for the most part my instincts have served me well, appears as if they didn't fail me here either. Never liked this guy, still don't. Now please, somebody.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-RPqYj2fms

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”