Voting Rights

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Brooklyn

Re: Voting Rights

Post by Brooklyn »

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

lagerhead wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:27 pm
ggait wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:21 pm When it comes to party primaries, there’s no perfect way to do it.

Out here in CO, you automatically get two primary ballots delivered if you are registered independent. That makes it easy from the voters perspective.

But many Ds and Rs argue that such system isn’t fair. Since people who aren’t party members can vote in a party primary. Also creates some gaming opportunities. For example, a significant number of Ds re-registered as indies so they could vote in the 2020 gop primary.

Some of those did so to vote against the hated Trump. Others did so to vote for Trump, since they figured he’d be the easiest for Joe to beat.
Why shouldn’t every registered voter be able to vote for the best candidate from primary through general? That’s rhetorical.
I completely agree with this and saw how it created the political monster that is the state of NY...including all those local and regional republican politicians in Upstate and WNY, not just the Sheldon silvers and Charlie rangels downstate.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Long interesting article about how the groundwork was laid for the Big Lie:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... main-0430b

"Key elements of the baseless claim that the 2020 election was stolen from President Donald Trump took shape in an airplane hangar here two years earlier, promoted by a Republican businessman who has sold everything from Tex-Mex food in London to a wellness technology that beams light into the human bloodstream.

At meetings beginning late in 2018, as Republicans were smarting from midterm losses in Texas and across the country, Russell J. Ramsland Jr. and his associates delivered alarming presentations on electronic voting to a procession of conservative lawmakers, activists and donors.

Briefings in the hangar had a clandestine air. Guests were asked to leave their cellphones outside before assembling in a windowless room. A member of Ramsland’s team purporting to be a “white-hat hacker” identified himself only by a code name.

Ramsland, a failed congressional candidate with a Harvard MBA, pitched a claim that seemed rooted in evidence: Voting-machine audit logs — lines of codes and time stamps that document the machines’ activities — contained indications of vote manipulation. In the retrofitted hangar that served as his company’s offices at the edge of a municipal airstrip outside Dallas, Ramsland attempted to persuade failed Republican candidates to challenge their election results and force the release of additional data that might prove manipulation.

“We had to find the right candidate,” said Laura Pressley, a former Ramsland ally whose own claim that audit logs showed fraud had been rejected in court two years earlier. “We had to find one who knew they won.”

He made the pitch to Don Huffines, a state senator in Texas. Huffines declined.

He tried to persuade U.S. Rep. Pete Sessions (R-Tex.). Sessions declined.

No candidate agreed to bring a challenge, and the idea of widespread vote manipulation remained on the political fringe — until 2020, when Ramsland’s assertions were seized upon by influential allies of Trump. The president himself accelerated the spread of those claims into the GOP mainstream as he latched onto an array of baseless ideas to explain his loss in November.

The enduring myth that the 2020 election was rigged was not one claim by one person. It was many claims stacked one atop the other, repeated by a phalanx of Trump allies. This is the previously unreported origin story of a core set of those claims, ideas that were advanced not by renowned experts or by insiders who had knowledge of flawed voting systems but by Ramsland and fellow conservative activists as they pushed a fledgling company, Allied Security Operations Group, into a quixotic attempt to find evidence of widespread fraud where none existed.

To assemble a picture of the company’s role, The Washington Post obtained emails and company documents and interviewed 12 people with direct knowledge of ASOG’s efforts, as well as former federal officials and aides from the Trump White House. Many spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private matters or out of fear of retribution. Three individuals who were present in the hangar for those 2018 meetings spoke about the gatherings publicly for the first time.

By late 2019, ASOG’s examination had moved beyond audit logs. Among other claims, Ramsland was repeating the ominous idea that election software used in the United States originated in Venezuela and saying nefarious actors could surreptitiously manipulate votes on a massive scale. As the 2020 election approached, he privately briefed GOP lawmakers in Washington and met with officials from the Department of Homeland Security, documents and interviews show.

ASOG’s examination by last summer had already cost more than $1 million, according to a document the company gave government officials that was obtained by The Post. Ramsland had sought funding from Republican donors whose fortunes were made in the oil, gas and fracking industries, Pressley said.

After the Nov. 3 election, to an extent not widely recognized, Ramsland and others associated with ASOG played key roles in spreading the claims of fraud, The Post found. They were circulated by Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Tex.), a staunch Trump ally who had been briefed by ASOG. And Ramsland’s assertions were incorporated in the “kraken” lawsuits filed by conservative lawyer Sidney Powell — who The Post learned had also been briefed two years earlier by ASOG — and aired publicly by Rudolph W. Giuliani, then Trump’s personal attorney, as they tried to overturn Joe Biden’s victories in key states.

During that period, Trump was hyper-focused on making the case that the election had been rigged, former White House aides said. He would listen to “literally anyone” who had a theory about it, in the words of one former senior administration official."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:50 am the greatly 'principled' repukeblicans and voting rights:

https://image.politicalcartoons.com/251 ... rights.png

https://cdn.creators.com/211/302160/302160_image.jpg
Couldn’t find any cartoons involving bamboo in the ballots
njbill

Post by njbill »

Do the “bamboo idiots” understand that bamboo is wood and that all paper has wood in it?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Question presumes evidence already stipulated to, move on counselor!
njbill wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:34 am Do the “bamboo idiots” understand that bamboo is wood and that all paper has wood in it?
njbill

Post by njbill »

:lol:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Well, at least it could possibly lead to a paper trail so that trumpissts cannot allege that the votes were imaginary or stolen.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

repukebliCONs poison the political atmosphere:

https://2qibqm39xjt6q46gf1rwo2g1-wpengi ... 24x768.jpg

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgdhp

Manchin, Murkowski call on Congress to reauthorize Voting Rights Act

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, wrote a letter Monday calling on Congress to reauthorize the Voting Rights Act, seeking to jump-start a debate on a bipartisan path to bolstering voting access.

"Protecting Americans’ access to democracy has not been a partisan issue for the past 56 years, and we must not allow it to become one now," they wrote to the top four congressional leaders.

While the letter didn't name the bill, a Manchin aide said the senators are referring to the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, which aims to require states with a recent record of discrimination in voting rights to get federal pre-approval before changing their election laws.

The Supreme Court in 2013 gutted the formula established by Congress to determine which states are subject to the rule, calling it outdated. The issue has since languished on Capitol Hill, with Republicans uninterested in re-establishing a "preclearance" requirement, and GOP-led states around the country moving to pass restrictive voting laws.

The Manchin-Murkowski letter is designed to show that there is some bipartisan support for the cause of protecting voting rights.

It comes as Manchin faces progressive criticism for being the lone Democratic holdout on the "For The People Act," a sweeping bill that aims to allow more ballot access and that all states must follow. The Democratic-controlled House approved that bill but it hasn't taken up the bill named for John Lewis.

Manchin has insisted that any attempt to overhaul federal voting laws have support from both parties.

But it's far from clear there would be the minimum 10 Republican senators required to defeat a filibuster of the voting rights reauthorization in the Senate, which is split evenly between the two parties.

The John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act was introduced last year by Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt. Murkowski was the only Republican co-sponsor.

Manchin wants to see some changes to the 2020 version of the bill, including by applying its regulations to all 50 states, an aide said. In the letter, he called for advancing it through the regular process, in which amendments are permitted in committee and in the full Senate.

"Inaction is not an option. Congress must come together — just as we have done time and again — to reaffirm our longstanding bipartisan commitment to free, accessible, and secure elections for all," Manchin and Murkowski wrote. "We urge you to join us in calling for the bipartisan reauthorization of the Voting Rights Act through regular order. We can do this. We must do this."

It is time for "freedom loving" Republicans to stand up for the principles they claim to uphold by creating this new legislation.

Ironic in that every year we hear people saying "get out and vote". But the right wingers always keep people from the voting booths. Well, it's time to correct this problem once and for all.

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:53 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgdhp

Manchin, Murkowski call on Congress to reauthorize Voting Rights Act

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, wrote a letter Monday calling on Congress to reauthorize the Voting Rights Act, seeking to jump-start a debate on a bipartisan path to bolstering voting access.

"Protecting Americans’ access to democracy has not been a partisan issue for the past 56 years, and we must not allow it to become one now," they wrote to the top four congressional leaders.

While the letter didn't name the bill, a Manchin aide said the senators are referring to the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, which aims to require states with a recent record of discrimination in voting rights to get federal pre-approval before changing their election laws.

The Supreme Court in 2013 gutted the formula established by Congress to determine which states are subject to the rule, calling it outdated. The issue has since languished on Capitol Hill, with Republicans uninterested in re-establishing a "preclearance" requirement, and GOP-led states around the country moving to pass restrictive voting laws.

The Manchin-Murkowski letter is designed to show that there is some bipartisan support for the cause of protecting voting rights.

It comes as Manchin faces progressive criticism for being the lone Democratic holdout on the "For The People Act," a sweeping bill that aims to allow more ballot access and that all states must follow. The Democratic-controlled House approved that bill but it hasn't taken up the bill named for John Lewis.

Manchin has insisted that any attempt to overhaul federal voting laws have support from both parties.

But it's far from clear there would be the minimum 10 Republican senators required to defeat a filibuster of the voting rights reauthorization in the Senate, which is split evenly between the two parties.

The John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act was introduced last year by Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt. Murkowski was the only Republican co-sponsor.

Manchin wants to see some changes to the 2020 version of the bill, including by applying its regulations to all 50 states, an aide said. In the letter, he called for advancing it through the regular process, in which amendments are permitted in committee and in the full Senate.

"Inaction is not an option. Congress must come together — just as we have done time and again — to reaffirm our longstanding bipartisan commitment to free, accessible, and secure elections for all," Manchin and Murkowski wrote. "We urge you to join us in calling for the bipartisan reauthorization of the Voting Rights Act through regular order. We can do this. We must do this."

It is time for "freedom loving" Republicans to stand up for the principles they claim to uphold by creating this new legislation.

Ironic in that every year we hear people saying "get out and vote". But the right wingers always keep people from the voting booths. Well, it's time to correct this problem once and for all.
... don't see this going anywhere. Actually I think it is Manchin just exhausting all possibilities before he gives in and goes for overturning the filibuster. Seems to me that is the deal he cut with Biden.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

... don't see this going anywhere. Actually I think it is Manchin just exhausting all possibilities before he gives in and goes for overturning the filibuster. Seems to me that is the deal he cut with Biden.

It is the "freedom loving" Republicans who should be taking the initiative in all this. Of course, that would entail the demonstration of principle and honor since they were the authors of the 13-15th Amendments to the US Constitution. But who would ever accuse the Pukies of being that honorable?

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

voting rights - for Repukeblicans, only:

https://i.imgur.com/2wJCCjY.png

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

in the warped minds of the radical far right, ain't no such problem:

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Big Monmouth poll: 80% of Americans want voter identification. Only 18% oppose (most of those are Fanlax liberals).

Funniest part here is that non-white voters support it at a notably higher level than white voters!!! They know what happens... :lol:

Guess which voters don't support it! that's right: middle/upper-middle class suburban liberals who get their news from MSNBC.

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-instit ... us_062121/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Which is included in Manchin's proposal...that Stacy Abrams supports...ohh, the horror, the bluff is being called!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Just about every day we are told by pro war propagandists that American soldiers are overseas fighting to protect our freedoms. Yet, the Repukeblicons work every day to suppress votes and to limit those same freedoms. Irony of ironies!

Return to “POLITICS”