Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxbuck

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by Laxbuck »

Not trying to poison your thread.
Full disclosure: I was at the game and am a SJU parent but talked for awhile to a Hobart parent postgame who agreed with this.
The goalie management last week made no sense and likely cost you the game
Holtby is who he is at this point in time
Figuring out if his backup can play is reasonable but not when you have given up 3 goals to Bryant in the first half
Inexcusable imo
Your SSDM are undersized and really struggled with the size of SJU middies. That’s where the game was won. SJU attack didn’t have to do much which nullified a strength of Hobart, their close D
Shea is very good
Competes his tail off and is so low to the ground. He matched up well with Z Cole
With 3 minutes to go down 3, why Hobart sat back in a zone for nearly 60 seconds was a bad look as well
Archer was really good
Hobart played well in Q1 and 3 but too much size and athleticism in the midfield for SJU the difference in the game
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That midfield size will serve the Hawks well in any move
to the A-10.
No way to compete with that size strength and yes quickness
Anderson simply bull rushed in for a score.
That the kind of sizing at midfield that any team
would want.
And to think, that one kid was going to Furman.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Anyone remember Jake Drennan? Casualty to concussion but would be a senior this year.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
buzzardmeat

Post by buzzardmeat »

Does anyone know what our record is with these new purple uniforms ? I think its pretty bad just saying ... Bring back the orange unis!!... we need a spark!!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

buzzardmeat wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:07 am Does anyone know what our record is with these new purple uniforms ? I think its pretty bad just saying ... Bring back the orange unis!!... we need a spark!!
more to the point, the purple primary doesn't work all that well to the eye with the orange trim. same with clemson. maybe for holy cross and the lakers.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Laxbuck wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:59 pm Not trying to poison your thread.
Full disclosure: I was at the game and am a SJU parent but talked for awhile to a Hobart parent postgame who agreed with this.
The goalie management last week made no sense and likely cost you the game
Holtby is who he is at this point in time
Figuring out if his backup can play is reasonable but not when you have given up 3 goals to Bryant in the first half
Inexcusable imo
Your SSDM are undersized and really struggled with the size of SJU middies. That’s where the game was won. SJU attack didn’t have to do much which nullified a strength of Hobart, their close D
Shea is very good
Competes his tail off and is so low to the ground. He matched up well with Z Cole
With 3 minutes to go down 3, why Hobart sat back in a zone for nearly 60 seconds was a bad look as well
Archer was really good
Hobart played well in Q1 and 3 but too much size and athleticism in the midfield for SJU the difference in the game
That’s the first I notice when I watch Hobart—smaller than most top 25 D1 teams. Granted SJU’s midfielders are big, but Hobart needs more size at SSDM and on the offensive end… this may be why we always seem to have injuries, too?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

You can have one. Stanny and Sean Cunningham weren’t massive. Cunningham was a high caliber WR and punt returner for the football team so maybe an exception. Even Smalley wasn’t huge. Baltzer can often hold his own despite being slight but yeah having 2-3, 5’9/5’10”, 165lb SSDMs is problematic. Would’ve preferred to see Hochheimer, Simas, Dickson, Tanner Wood and some others play SSdM. Even Mitrow who’s thick and solid for his size, but the staff doesn’t trust the rest of the offensive players so they use them two way.
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

Recent posts made me think about some post mortem comments (2021 season) I put together last summer. Some improvements this year for sure but also some old themes:
Laxfan1234 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:55 am
shoothi wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:15 am looking at those stats:
its the defense; attitude, toughness, position, talking and basic team defense awareness all seem to be lacking according to those defensive stats.
Laxgunea wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:00 pm It is the defensive system that will determine where we stand in may 2022.
While I definitely agree the close defense group didn't perform as well anyone hoped last year especially early on. Anyone remember this quote after last year's LIU game? :lol: :
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:59 am Agreed. Our crease got owned by LIU like the Germanic hordes taking over Rome.
I think the defense has been better this year especially in light of the competition.
oldbartman wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:17 pm After watching Bryant's poles this season, it became very apparent that with the exception of a few, our poles were not comfortable/able to handle the ball under any kind of pressure. This lead to some very untimely turnovers.
Ketch wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:01 pm Anyone notice how our SSDMs all tried to look like Matt Smalley clearing the ball? Trouble is, they aren‘t Matt Smalley. We need to learn to clear the ball by passing it.

While I wouldn't categorize it as a strength, and the bar was set pretty low, I think clearing has improved in 2022.
After reviewing last year's thread a major issue was general overall lack of size/strength on the majority of the roster (especially at the SSDM position).
oldbartman wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:17 pm The fact that the coaches didn't put a big body, specifically a pole on the big LIU middie and didn't double him constantly is a real head scratcher. He wasn't hit once by anyone over 170 lbs. We need more size at SSDM. Guys like Sampson. Meite, and Hocheimer all have better size and decent speed.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:59 am I realize this is more a comment in the Lebron James twitter culture of showing how hard everyone works all the time (like everyone only showing their best lives on crapbook). But...There’s a few kids who could add 5-10lbs of muscle which might include the tallest one on the roster. But imagine if Bobby Baltzer could add 10pbs of muscle as he develops (only a soph) and not lose agility or lateral quickness.
33 kids on the roster are under 185lbs. Connor durkin is 6’2” 170, Mott 6’2” 175, Gullace 5’10” 165, Adam Davis 6’ 165, Madonna 5’10” 175, Hocheimer 6’ 175, Matt Turner 6’ 1” 180 as just some examples. Many of these guys you see getting managed by mid sized close D and long sticks.
Guys who did well as FR: Herlihy 5’10” 185, Dattellas 6’ 185
Not saying weight or strength is the only thing needed but it’s pretty clear between current lack of depth and, frankly, our guys have physically been handled in almost every game and so seems like a lot could use the weight room as well as the wall.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:15 pm Different positions different needs. So if I’m a SSDM whos 155-165 trying to defend 210lb midfielders or trying to like run through double teams on a clear, I probably need more strength. Wasn’t Kevin Curtin like 185 even though he was, at best, 5’9”?
Anyone notice a theme here?

EMO is definitely improved
This team CAN score, the inconsistency is perplexing
It's clear from the latest podcast and the # of players actually getting PT that Coach R is going to continue to roll with his starters (with the exception of GK) and hope to make the NEC tournament and make a run there. I understand the rationale for sure, and hope the team is able to "right the ship" as they say. In full disclosure, I do have some concerns about the teams prospects in 2023/2024 as a large # of presumed starters (rising Seniors and Juniors) on both sides of the ball will have very limited actual game time experience
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Going to be a midfield driven offense next year or two. Assuming Durkin gone so I shouldn’t think about him anymore and even if he is very good and comes back the lost year will mean more in game development where I had him pegged based on his production exceeding Archers as a HS Jr (Sr yr was cancelled) as a major contributor his Jr and Sr years.

Season still has opportunity to get hot and pull a 2016 (though we’re not working w Jackson Brown in goal who won that Bryant playoff game for us). But if we project ahead not knowing what future FR will contribute our team and possible projected starters/contributors would look like this (also assuming Madonna doesn’t do a 5th yr nor Christiansen):

Attack (g,a,pts): Ward (4,3,7), Rosa (5,1,6)/Dattellas (18,9,27)
Others: Barthelme (4,7,11), Delano (2,1,3), Grooms (11,3,14) & Braeden Wimer (big physical kid who’s missing this year with some kind of leg injury but could be a player and is 6’1” 195 by reported measurements)

Midfield: Herlihy (26,5,31), Bach (11,2,13), Baltzer (5,6,11)(maybe full offensive middie if healthy, was a scorer in HS)
Others: Meite, James Greene, Randall Brown, Adam Davis, Ballo, Plunkett, Considine, Mason Romm (if he’s not totally done), Greenberg & Delaney - collectively these kids have like 4-5 total pts.

Pretty much unlike any season since 2018 in terms of returning firepower from a known quantity standpoint. Guys can and will step up but it’s not obvious where the depth is for next two years unless some of the incoming kids are beasts. I am a huge believer in Bach so can see him and Herlihy being dangerous outside and alley dodging and feeding to Rosa/Ward/Dattellas but it’s going to look like a very different offense it would seem. Having Madonna do a 5th year would be extremely helpful
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Sad state of affairs for this years team in that we're already talking about the next 2 years. With this team at 2-5, I can't blame fans/alum for feeling this way. We've had nothing to give us hope. Wagner's D is greatly improved and the team still has issues with basic game functions. Sad, as there is talent. Too bad the coaches and players can't figure it out. You are what your record says you are.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Bach and Herlihy will be the key midfielders, and I think having a soft-handed guy like Ward, plus an active mover inside like Rosa, gives us lots of potential for a new look. Watching Rosa out there is a blast. He does not stop moving. But they are going to need someone like Archer who can see him and who has the courage and execution to make that pass.
Dattelas has been terrific since he debuted. We really missed him while he was out. Among other things, he is able to spark the team. Barthelme has had bad luck ... a freak foot injury from what i've heard ... but he'll be back. Even if only as EMO, he will produce shots.
I really hope Madonna stays for another year!
I also think we've got some good talent coming up. I've been very impressed with Duby's play this year at LSM. Ditto Nolan Firth, who has some time at close D. Delano is still in his first year, and I only seem him getting better. I just want to see him free to take more shots. I hope Delany emerges as a factor, and I've heard that Considine could be a great addition. Shea is back next year, and i understand Shaiffer is a real fighter. I imagine we'll be "good enough" to "good" at faceoffs ... if wingplay keeps up.
The big gaps will be ssdm and goalie.
BUT, the season is still not over ... one game at a time. First stop: Staten island. Wagner's not a pushover, and Hobart will have to play every second of every remaining game to survive. We know they CAN put points on teams like Cornell, SU and Lehigh. They just have to play the entire game and not give up 15 points or more. Any more 15-20 minute scoring droughts will be death to the 2022 season. Period.
man-down

Post by man-down »

Long time Hobart fan - just found this forum and love the level of lax and specifically Hobart lax expertise. I don't have much of either. Is it fair to say that the things we were excited to see on offense early in the season were too obvious for Hobarts opponents and have become too easy for them to defend? Hurlihy drops 4 in at the Carrier Dome and then gets played much tougher. Him and Mott and Archer and Madonna are all outside scoring threats so St Joe's pushes out a bit and makes them shoot from farther out and the goalie has extra time and a good eye on the ball.

Despite some serious weapons, it seems like Hobart is just an outside shooting team right now - one guy moving left and right to get his hands free and too often shooting high to high. Silas managed to score from X on Saturday once and Rosa (I think) had one catch and finish inside but no other feeds inside or close-range goals? Not even on man-up when that used to count for at least one a game? Do you agree?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

man-down wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:41 pm Long time Hobart fan - just found this forum and love the level of lax and specifically Hobart lax expertise. I don't have much of either. Is it fair to say that the things we were excited to see on offense early in the season were too obvious for Hobarts opponents and have become too easy for them to defend? Hurlihy drops 4 in at the Carrier Dome and then gets played much tougher. Him and Mott and Archer and Madonna are all outside scoring threats so St Joe's pushes out a bit and makes them shoot from farther out and the goalie has extra time and a good eye on the ball.

Despite some serious weapons, it seems like Hobart is just an outside shooting team right now - one guy moving left and right to get his hands free and too often shooting high to high. Silas managed to score from X on Saturday once and Rosa (I think) had one catch and finish inside but no other feeds inside or close-range goals? Not even on man-up when that used to count for at least one a game? Do you agree?

As Ted Baker pointed out numerous time during the SJU game, our feeds into the crease are not working! Maybe 10% of the time, and I'm being generous. Against the Hawks 3 of those passes were intercepted and lead to goals at the other end. Unless the guy has no one near him, STOP MAKING THIS STUPID PASS!
man-down

Post by man-down »

yeah that is good advice - maybe we need to try out some new hands on the catching side of things too. And what about using some tough physical kid like Mike Cardinalli to take a north-south run at some of those D Middies? He's a bull and will definitely draw a slide and maybe more. Great feeder too.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

This is why I think it’s time for a coaching change - maybe not at the top but - it’s yet another year, w/ same issues / excuses.

I honestly never thought I’d write that Wagner is a must win game for Hobart. But this is where we’re at.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FL-GO wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:18 pm This is why I think it’s time for a coaching change - maybe not at the top but - it’s yet another year, w/ same issues / excuses.

I honestly never thought I’d write that Wagner is a must win game for Hobart. But this is where we’re at.
I watched the Wagner-SHU game on NEC Frontrow. Wagner is good. They totally dismantled the SHU team that beat us. Tough D and they’ve got a big middie who did some serious damage.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I don't want to see the inside passes go away. I want to see them improve. It's been a missing part of our game for years (which is one reason we never saw Yanko get the play time he deserved). We've been too reliant on outside shooting. We are not completely reliant on outside shooting (Archer puts them in from all over), but it has been our strength. That is why I think Rosa is such a great addition.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:24 pm I don't want to see the inside passes go away. I want to see them improve. It's been a missing part of our game for years (which is one reason we never saw Yanko get the play time he deserved). We've been too reliant on outside shooting. We are not completely reliant on outside shooting (Archer puts them in from all over), but it has been our strength. That is why I think Rosa is such a great addition.
Needs more movement to create more slides by defense. The forced inside passes look bad and are because it’s one kid camping out for 20 seconds in front of the crease with no one else crossing or moving around the area. Or even sometimes two kids camped out within 2-3ft of each other and 2 polls sitting there waiting for it. Seems like it’s actually too slow and or not crisp enough moving the ball around the top, defenses can sit in their positions too easily which doesn’t allow for decent execution of the interior passes.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:43 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:24 pm I don't want to see the inside passes go away. I want to see them improve. It's been a missing part of our game for years (which is one reason we never saw Yanko get the play time he deserved). We've been too reliant on outside shooting. We are not completely reliant on outside shooting (Archer puts them in from all over), but it has been our strength. That is why I think Rosa is such a great addition.
Needs more movement to create more slides by defense. The forced inside passes look bad and are because it’s one kid camping out for 20 seconds in front of the crease with no one else crossing or moving around the area. Or even sometimes two kids camped out within 2-3ft of each other and 2 polls sitting there waiting for it. Seems like it’s actually too slow and or not crisp enough moving the ball around the top, defenses can sit in their positions too easily which doesn’t allow for decent execution of the interior passes.
Ok. Agreed. Just saying we need an inside option ... I think Ward will bring that too. Rosa is moving well, but he's a freshman and is still developing. He got one inside against St. Joes. He had another one, but the goalie made a great stop ... but that was to the goalie's credit, not Rosa's fault. Having an inside option will open up possibilities for the outside shooters ... that's just basic lacrosse tactics.
I completely agree about the slow movement around the top. When watching other teams, I see them at 10 to 20% quicker on their passes. And on D, I see other teams quicker on outlet passes to get the clears started. It is strange to say, but sometimes it seems like we are "thinking too much.'
I've also started wondering about shooting %. OBM has been talking about it for months, and it is really clear that at certain points we just run out of time and sling wild shots. I understand the need for patience, but sometimes we just look slow. That is a bad look for a team that has such firepower.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:27 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:43 pm
Ok. Agreed. Just saying we need an inside option ... I think Ward will bring that too. Rosa is moving well, but he's a freshman and is still developing. He got one inside against St. Joes. He had another one, but the goalie made a great stop ... but that was to the goalie's credit, not Rosa's fault. Having an inside option will open up possibilities for the outside shooters ... that's just basic lacrosse tactics.
I completely agree about the slow movement around the top. When watching other teams, I see them at 10 to 20% quicker on their passes. And on D, I see other teams quicker on outlet passes to get the clears started. It is strange to say, but sometimes it seems like we are "thinking too much.'
I've also started wondering about shooting %. OBM has been talking about it for months, and it is really clear that at certain points we just run out of time and sling wild shots. I understand the need for patience, but sometimes we just look slow. That is a bad look for a team that has such firepower.
We’re in agreement. I guess the distinction is I’d rather not have the guy up top force the pass if the interior guys aren’t executing and reset to do something else.

And the numerous shot clock violations are just good. It’s seemingly binary-either high to high right into the goalies stick with no screener or other aspects or too fine a shot that misses the cage completely and slow restarts which lead to violations.

Does seem there’s a shifting of the offense from what it was in 19-20 to something that’s more “traditional” offense. We need a guy at the X who can pass next year to feed but can see the vision.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”