Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:39 am What is it about Marr that doesn’t seem to be a fit for the job? I’ve seen a few people post this several times now. If you think this has more to do with interpersonal problems between Petro and whoever (players or admin) than wins and losses does Marr not make perfect sense. An easy going attitude is the change they would want no?
I doubt 'easy going' would be in the search criteria.

Calm, cool headed, consistent might be the sort of qualities one might want, but it's not as if a school like Hopkins wants a coach who is 'easy going' whether on or off the field. Certainly will want a coach who is passionate about excellence in all regards.

Pretty sure the off-field aspects have become far more important over the past decade for all of these more selective institutions, so certainly are not going to want someone to be loosey goosey in that regard.

Not applying any of this to Marr per se, one way or the other. Just the phrase 'easy going'.

Now, from a lax strategy perspective, it's possible that a search committee might be interested in a coach interested in a more wide-open, fast paced style of play, a style less micro-managed from the sideline. That's possible, and Marr probably fits that scenario if that's what you meant?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopDad2024 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:36 am I have a son who is a 2020 commit and all of the commits were called by the AD and asked if they had any questions. 3 weeks timetable to get a new coach. Alumni not a prerequisite.
She said they are not going D3...so let's stop that talk. Even if that was a thought how do you do that? You hire a D1 coach and recruit D1 players and tell them they are now D3. You wouldn't have a team or coach.
Change is sometimes good. My son would have loved to play for Petro. JHU will get a top shelf coach and things will move forward and JHU will get back to being a top 10 team. The 2020 class is a legit top class loaded with talent. 2021 is loaded as well...new coach just needs to keep them.
The future is bright. Change is hard. Bloomberg money is a game changer. Petro and the coaches bit hard on early recruiting and even Petro admitted they were not good at it. I think that was part of the issue this season. JHU has a lot to offer a commit...top shelf facilities...top shelf education with a guaranteed job when you graduate with a incredible alumni network. Lacrosse is the only revenue sport at Hopkins and it will continue to be. Lacrosse landscape has changed. If you look at Ivy success recently. I know for a fact that the academic requirements are the same as JHU, no money and I know from a friend that if you have the ability to pay at a Ivy you pay. We have the scholarships and the Bloomberg money. Be patient, let's see who we get as the new coach and give him a chance to put the program back to where it belongs.
GO HOP!
When you say "belongs", what do you mean? Beyond the laxmafia, ensuring the autobid Hopkins gets to the tourney every year. Where else should they "belong" ? In the Patriot league, with their peer colleges. yes, I think so too.

Could you imagine Hopkins playing Holy Cross up on the Hill? on top of the BU parking garage, looking at the turnpike traffic in Boston ?
Lehigh IS a lousy STEM school........
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:47 pm Who? A few posters wrote in this thread about the virus possibly giving them cover to move Hopkins to DIII. I never thought I'd say this, but I wouldn't bet against it anymore.

And again, as of today, the odds that Universities will reconvene on campus this fall on are tiny. I think spring lacrosse is a coin flip at this point. And that's assuming Universities have the money to spend on these sports.
A number of us have been saying for years, the Daniels era was and would be problematic for the program. It has cost the university its uniqueness, and not just in lacrosse. This is all about square pegs and round holes. Hopkins has always been that square peg. Now we have rounded edges. I would not be surprised even a little bit if we went full D3. I am not predicting that, but anyone who thinks that is out of the question, is whistling past the grave yard. Hope I am wrong, but I do not believe it much matters who they hire as coach. Ron Daniels certainly feels that way! Great damage has been done to the foundation.

A simple question. Has Ron Daniels released a statement? Anything? Sure he is busy, has lots of problems. Doesn't take but 30 minutes of his time.

What would Bill Brody have done in a similar situation? Although I can't imagine a similar situation occurring with Brody. Same goes for most, but not all, of the university's previous presidents.

We are suffering from self inflicted wounds and the wounds are not accidental. Shaving a square peg to fit a round hole is not accidental.
[/quote]
Really......blame the Daniels era?

Hopkins allowing the city to crumble right in front of their eyes.....starting when Baltimore hired a top 5 terrorist group, according to the SOuthern Poverty Law center, to run "security" at the city projects.....THAT had nothing to do with the joke your city, and all the whites increasing the carbon footprint by fleeing.......

did you see the $12,000 "fixer upper" on Biggs St. Less than a mile to Homewood ? Even the Detroit Mercy coach has to pay more for housing, near campus. Why is real estate so cheap in Baltimore ? Dude......look in the mirror.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopDad2024 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:36 am I have a son who is a 2020 commit and all of the commits were called by the AD and asked if they had any questions. 3 weeks timetable to get a new coach. Alumni not a prerequisite.
She said they are not going D3...so let's stop that talk. Even if that was a thought how do you do that? You hire a D1 coach and recruit D1 players and tell them they are now D3. You wouldn't have a team or coach.
Change is sometimes good. My son would have loved to play for Petro. JHU will get a top shelf coach and things will move forward and JHU will get back to being a top 10 team. The 2020 class is a legit top class loaded with talent. 2021 is loaded as well...new coach just needs to keep them.
The future is bright. Change is hard. Bloomberg money is a game changer. Petro and the coaches bit hard on early recruiting and even Petro admitted they were not good at it. I think that was part of the issue this season. JHU has a lot to offer a commit...top shelf facilities...top shelf education with a guaranteed job when you graduate with a incredible alumni network. Lacrosse is the only revenue sport at Hopkins and it will continue to be. Lacrosse landscape has changed. If you look at Ivy success recently. I know for a fact that the academic requirements are the same as JHU, no money and I know from a friend that if you have the ability to pay at a Ivy you pay. We have the scholarships and the Bloomberg money. Be patient, let's see who we get as the new coach and give him a chance to put the program back to where it belongs.
GO HOP!
welcome to a new poster!

Sounds right to me.
Get a strong coaching staff, with a fresh, exciting perspective and Hopkins could well be back in the hunt in the next few years. Definitely have a couple of good classes coming in from which to build.

I do think that Hopkins will be able to transition to a more Ivy-like posture with the advantage of scholarship $ as well. Don't try to be Ohio State, UMD, Penn State, etc...just beat them.

I also think the poster is correct about the errors of ER.
It was wrong in so many ways and bit Hopkins harder than its peers. Well chronicled.
Interesting admission by Dave.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:47 am
GO HOP!
When you say "belongs", what do you mean? Beyond the laxmafia, ensuring the autobid Hopkins gets to the tourney every year. Where else should they "belong" ? In the Patriot league, with their peer colleges. yes, I think so too.

Could you imagine Hopkins playing Holy Cross up on the Hill? on top of the BU parking garage, looking at the turnpike traffic in Boston ?
He meant 'belongs' as in competing for NC's.
Homer

Post by Homer »

GO HOP!
Thanks for the post and all great to hear. Look forward to seeing your son on the field in years to come!
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:45 am
flalax22 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:39 am What is it about Marr that doesn’t seem to be a fit for the job? I’ve seen a few people post this several times now. If you think this has more to do with interpersonal problems between Petro and whoever (players or admin) than wins and losses does Marr not make perfect sense. An easy going attitude is the change they would want no?
I like the idea of an offensive minded coach. Marr had some pretty high powered offenses at Albany and liked to push the rock. With so much offensive talent coming in the door it would be exciting to see that kind of play at Homewood. You could then hire a D coordinator whose ONLY job would be to focus on the D, which clearly needs attention. They still need to find a goalie though.
I have faith in the new AD.
Guess you haven't witnessed Marr on the sideline...at times he's anything but "easy going." :D

My point re Marr had nothing to do with "fit" at HOP. My point was, why would he leave a good situation and take on all that tradition, pressure-to-win, and the drama that comes with it? Money? I doubt at this stage of his career other considerations aren't more important.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

tech37 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:08 am
I like the idea of an offensive minded coach. Marr had some pretty high powered offenses at Albany and liked to push the rock. With so much offensive talent coming in the door it would be exciting to see that kind of play at Homewood. You could then hire a D coordinator whose ONLY job would be to focus on the D, which clearly needs attention. They still need to find a goalie though.
Guess you haven't witnessed Marr on the sideline...at times he's anything but "easy going." :D

My point re Marr had nothing to do with "fit" at HOP. My point was, why would he leave a good situation and take on all that tradition, pressure-to-win, and the drama that comes with it? Money? I doubt at this stage of his career other considerations aren't more important.
Prestige. Power. Challenge.

You ever hear of a biggest dick contest?

At Hopkins, you can be THE biggest dick.

Just look at some of our posters in these threads.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

GO HOP!
That is encouraging the AD personally reached out with a phone call. I was close to a recent new hiring process, similar situation, and there was no communication from the AD whatsoever.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

GO HOP!
Good luck and enjoy the ride. Change is hard but Hopkins will be fine.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:15 am

Prestige. Power. Challenge. Maybe. But maybe not so much post-COVID. I think a younger, hungrier coach is where it's at for HOP.

Homer

Post by Homer »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:18 am “how competitive is his package”

Uh... I don’t think I want to know that.
See, I knew you were lying the minute you wrote that...

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:15 am You ever hear of a biggest dick contest?

HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

GO HOP!
Great post and thanks for sharing your perspective.

That timetable sounds about right to me—you want to do a smart, thorough search and that takes some time but you also need to get a staff in place as soon as possible for several obvious reasons.

Re: Murphy, have heard the same that he might just be in the mix.

Chemotti, Milliman, and Casseese are other names to keep an eye on if they don't go with an alum.

Nads still the heavy favorite IMO.

Can't always tell whether wgsdr is being facetious or not but Epstein is NOT in the portal and I doubt he will be. Only Jays in the portal (as of today that is, things could and probably will change) are Williams, Hubler, and Rapine if you count him—all seniors who may not have come back anyway. Stagnitta was but has already decided to transfer to Jacksonville, seemingly to be close to the beach so he can shred the gnar.
HopDad2024

Post by HopDad2024 »

Epstein also call all recruits saying he is not going anywhere and he hopes all 2020 honor their commitments. He is looking forward to getting 2020's on campus and on the field.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Some?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HopDad2024 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:17 pm Epstein also call all recruits saying he is not going anywhere and he hopes all 2020 honor their commitments. He is looking forward to getting 2020's on campus and on the field.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:57 am
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:47 am
GO HOP!

He meant 'belongs' as in competing for NC's.
Yes, and like I said, they are "belonging" every single year, correct? You can NOT win a championship if not invited. And, if are going to speak for others, I think this fine gentleman means "championship weekend" when he means "belong" .

One of the reasons we can't stand Hopkins......like it's a birthright. That Hopkins "belongs".. Why?

To the math, nerds. Opportunity, vs results. past 18 years: Since 2002, Hopkins has been invited 17 times, reaching championship weekend 7 times. 41%. Not bad at all. However, you go back 10 years, to 2009 , and it doesn't look so good. Ten n$aa invites , one FF. Ten %. Albany, in the same time period, is 6 for 1. 16% Better than Hopkins. Fresh new n$aa faces, Nitme lions and Rutgers, both have 3 invites. Both have 1 FF appearance. 33% FF clip.

'Cuse & Terps also have been invited 17 of the 18 years. Cuse percentage the exact same as Hopkins. 41% chance of making the FF. Not bad. Terps are just a tad higher, reaching the FF 10 of 17 times. So, Maryland has had a 58% clip of reaching the FF.

Duke, 15 invites and 11 FF's. 73% clip of reaching FF.
Denver, at 45%, 5 of the 11 invites resulted in a championship visit.

North Carolina. 12 invites and only 1 final four. 8%.

If you think a team "belongs", with a ten percent chance of making the championship weekend, when league counterparts are reaching the FF at exponentially higher rates, 33% for the Penn & Ohio St. Do we even need to included the Terps insane ten year run. Maryland has made the FF at a 70% clip...........just a little bit better than Hopkins.

Why, in any other world but laxmafia world, would logic state a team like Hopkins belongs in the playoffs, any more, than say, Marist ?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

having a big dick ....worthless if you're flaccid my friend. completely useless.

Hopkins in dire need for some viagra....
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

RRR, pretty sure when someone says they want to see their school ' back to where belongs' ...among the top schools competing regularly for NC's, Final Fours, etc,... they are saying that as a reasonable aspiration, recognizing that they are not currently in that cohort.

Seems to me that it's entirely reasonable to have that aspiration.

Accomplishing it is hard, certainly not to be taken for granted.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

GO HOP!
Welcome dad, and 'Grats to your son. Hopkins/Bawlamer have issues, but it can still be the best four years of his life.

And yes, the program "belongs" to be playing deep in the tourney.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”