FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Womens Lacrosse
@inthe8m

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by @inthe8m »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:02 pm
Again. This is not SOS.
Fixed. And, Duke checked in at #8 in the FanLax Computer Poll last week.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:20 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:02 pm
Again. This is not SOS.
Fixed. And, Duke checked in at #8 in the FanLax Computer Poll last week.
I did actually mean RPI, but that fits as well. Either way, using the FanLax Computer Poll to prove a point that he made clear was about RPI/SOS (and then backtracked on) means nothing
Justalaxdad

Re: Week ending 4/17 Poll

Post by Justalaxdad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:13 pm
Justalaxdad wrote:
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:32 am One of the last polls of the season I'm guessing. Do we still submit polls once the regular season ends? Conference championships? In any event--here are this weeks 25 honorees.

1 - Carolina. Running clock win over Ginny. Waiting on Duke Thursday night to show who's the real sheriff of the ACC. It’ll be Carolina--easy.

Yes, a running clock…all 32 seconds of it. 🙄
Correct—but a running clock win just the same. N’est ce pas?
It is, albeit not indicative of the type of game it was. Even with a depleted squad, UVA played them better than most thought they would. Ellos no? (I cheated and used a translator)
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

There's some correlation between My Rankings and SOS but... Barely. If not at all.

– Team SOS
1 North Carolina 7
2 Northwestern 3
3 Syracuse 1
4 Boston College 8
5 Stony Brook 14
6 Loyola 29
7 Duke 41
8 Maryland 19
9 Denver 22
10 Florida 23
11 Princeton 4
12 Rutgers 17
13 USC 25
14 James Madison 12
15 UConn 46
16 Stanford 10
17 Arizona State 13
18 Ohio State 35
19 Virginia 6
20 Michigan 21
21 UMass 75
22 Colorado 18
23 Notre Dame 5
24 Yale 33
25 Jacksonville 47
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

FanLax Forum Polls due on Monday at noon EST. Enjoy the game this weekend.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
OuttaNowhereWregget

w/e 4/24

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

1 - Carolina - “Waiting on Duke Thursday night to show who the real boss of the ACC is. It’ll be Carolina.” (What’d I say.)

2 - Boston College - “Next up, Syracuse at Alumni. We’ll see how they do against another team looking for revenge. I’m leaning Syracuse.” (Wrong here, but not by much. Syracuse plays a little smarter and they may have pulled it out. Certainly wasn’t for lack of talent.) But BC did well. Got big goals and a huge save in crunch time to sock this one away. Rematch highly probable on May 1st.

3 - Maryland - “I think the Terps beat the Cats Saturday” Another “what’d I say.” call. The Terps looked fantastic in every phase of the game. They showed up to play and Northwestern left their brains and heart on the bus. It will be interesting to see if they recover. At this point, it looks like Maryland’s going to championship weekend. And as we all know—anything can happen there.

4 - Stony Brook - They’ll have a mild test coming up this week vs Yale but their sights are set on the Big Dance which will be an awfully slow train coming with them restricted from the AE tourney.

5 - Florida - They keep winning. 9 straight since losing to Loyola. Decent test Wednesday vs State rival Jacksonville. Probably their last until the big dance.

6 - Syracuse - See 2

7 - Denver - Because NU stunk up the joint so bad

8 - Northwestern - See 3

9 - Loyola - Another team waiting for the big dance for their next big test. Sure about this teams talent. Not sure about this teams heart.

10 - JMU - 9 straight since the wakeup loss to Rutgers. Another team restricted from a conference tourney that has to wait a long time to play again. Practicing against yourself only sharpens a team to a degree. Remains to be seen how it will affect them and Stony Brook.

11 - Duke - Abysmal performance vs Carolina. They would have been better off forfeiting. Do they have what it takes to salvage ’22 with a deep run in the upcoming tourneys or will this be the year know as “You schedule all cupcakes for your out of conference games, you get your just desserts”.

12 - UMass - 12 straight wins after beating Davidson. On to the A-10 tourney.

13 - USC beat AZ State to quell all the Golden Trident hype for awhile. The Fight On’s looked good. Full of spit and vinegar and ready to go.

14 - Arizona State - Still think this is a good team showing no quit. They lost a tough one on the road to USC but fought to the end.

15 - UConn - Strong win over Yale in the Battle for CT.

16 - Virginia - Won the battle for Old Dominion and earns the 6 seed for the ACC tourney. Do they have a chance against Syracuse? Please. Let’s not get hysterical.

17 - Stanford - Beats Cal and takes the Pac-12 title by virtue of owning the tiebreaker vs USC.

18 - Princeton - Good Ivy League wins over Penn and Harvard

19 - Virginia Tech - Lost to state rival Ginny. Ready to get served up “over easy” for Charlotte North’s appetizer in the 1st round of the ACC’s.

20 - Jacksonville - Beat Liberty easily. The Sunshine State Showdown looms on Wednesday.

21 - Rutgers - 18-13 over Penn St. Coming back to life a little.

22 - Richmond - Looks like they’re on a grudge match collision course with UMass for the A-10 conference tourney title.

23 - Notre Dame - Pulled out a good come from behind road win over a scrappy Louisville team yesterday. I give the Fighting Irish a slight chance against Duke in the 1st round of the ACC’s at Arlotta, but that’s only if they fight to the end. A win over Duke is their only slim chance to make The Tournament.

24 - Yale - The streak came to an end vs UConn. Nice season so far but the rest of the way will be filled with disappointing losses. All part of the growing experience for programs looking to improve.

25 - Michigan - Waiting for their scrimmage with Maryland on the 30th.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Please let me know how badly I f*cked this up. Everyone's doing it; why not you too?

1. North Carolina -- Were they just up for the Duke game, or have all the disparate pieces come into focus?

2. Boston College -- played a good game against a tough and resilient Syracuse team and win by 2.

3. Syracuse -- look, I am a homer. Losses to NU, Florida, UNC and BC.

4. Maryland -- did JMU do anything different to beat this team convincingly, 13-8? Because the game on the Field Hockey turf on Saturday showed a team effort of beautiful lacrosse.

5. Northwestern -- not a fan, but they are a good team. The distance between NU and some of the teams below, 6-10, is small. I hope they draw Denver early in the NCAA tournament.

6. Loyola -- you have to play the teams in your conference and on your schedule. The fact is this team is 15-1, with only a narrow and maybe arguable loss to Syracuse in the Dome. The Hounds don't just get worse every week because they play have to Lafayette.

7. Stony Brook -- same issue as Loyola; they have to play who they can schedule.

8. Duke -- a trip down to earth, no answer for UNC's many, many weapons, and no answer to UNC's defense.

9. Denver -- you know, the reality is I have no idea how good this team really is. What kind of a game would they give, say, Northwestern?

10. Florida -- Florida's year is next year, right? Again.

11. JMU -- like Denver, one of the teams you'd least like to draw early in the NCAA tournament.

12. Princeton -- still a believer in Uncle Jack's '41 (and Uncle Dick's '45, and Uncle Bill's '43) alma mater. Tigers should sweep the Ivy with a win against Yale (jinx?).

13. USC -- my daughter was in LA this weekend, threatening to move there because "the weather is always nice Dad." W.T.F. is with that?

14. UConn -- watched this team play Yale and was pretty impressed; some good players apart from Watson and pretty disciplined.

15. UMass -- plugged in here; no idea how good they are. For example, does anyone think they would beat Notre Dame? I doubt it, and yet, here they are. Putting the stupid in Stupid Poll.

16. Arizona State

17. Virginia -- Cavs are 8-8, so qualify for my stupid poll, until they lose in the ACC tournament.

18. Stanford

19. Rutgers

20. Michigan

How many teams from the B1G make the tournament? Maryland and NU are locks. Anyone else?

UNC, BC, Syracuse and Duke from the ACC. No one else, right?

Ivy? Just the Winner of the ILT, right? Unless, maybe, Princeton loses?
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Please move UMD out of the top 4.

I can feel a 16th championship brewing and I want them playing happy, loose and determined.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:36 am Please move UMD out of the top 4.

I can feel a 16th championship brewing and I want them playing happy, loose and determined.
Where should they be, Fenny?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

FanLax Forum Polls due today at noon EST.
Caddy Day
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:32 am

Probably 2nd.

But make them 8th.

That would be perfect and would increase their chances of winning it all.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:48 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:32 am

Probably 2nd.

But make them 8th.

That would be perfect and would increase their chances of winning it all.
That’s where I have them (2nd) in my most recent tiers update, which elicited much scoffing and derision. But I stood my ground. You would have been proud. 😉
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:31 am Please let me know how badly I f*cked this up. Everyone's doing it; why not you too?

1. North Carolina -- Were they just up for the Duke game, or have all the disparate pieces come into focus?

2. Boston College -- played a good game against a tough and resilient Syracuse team and win by 2.

3. Syracuse -- look, I am a homer. Losses to NU, Florida, UNC and BC.

4. Maryland -- did JMU do anything different to beat this team convincingly, 13-8? Because the game on the Field Hockey turf on Saturday showed a team effort of beautiful lacrosse.

5. Northwestern -- not a fan, but they are a good team. The distance between NU and some of the teams below, 6-10, is small. I hope they draw Denver early in the NCAA tournament.

6. Loyola -- you have to play the teams in your conference and on your schedule. The fact is this team is 15-1, with only a narrow and maybe arguable loss to Syracuse in the Dome. The Hounds don't just get worse every week because they play have to Lafayette.

7. Stony Brook -- same issue as Loyola; they have to play who they can schedule.

8. Duke -- a trip down to earth, no answer for UNC's many, many weapons, and no answer to UNC's defense.

9. Denver -- you know, the reality is I have no idea how good this team really is. What kind of a game would they give, say, Northwestern?

10. Florida -- Florida's year is next year, right? Again.

11. JMU -- like Denver, one of the teams you'd least like to draw early in the NCAA tournament.

12. Princeton -- still a believer in Uncle Jack's '41 (and Uncle Dick's '45, and Uncle Bill's '43) alma mater. Tigers should sweep the Ivy with a win against Yale (jinx?).

13. USC -- my daughter was in LA this weekend, threatening to move there because "the weather is always nice Dad." W.T.F. is with that?

14. UConn -- watched this team play Yale and was pretty impressed; some good players apart from Watson and pretty disciplined.

15. UMass -- plugged in here; no idea how good they are. For example, does anyone think they would beat Notre Dame? I doubt it, and yet, here they are. Putting the stupid in Stupid Poll.

16. Arizona State

17. Virginia -- Cavs are 8-8, so qualify for my stupid poll, until they lose in the ACC tournament.

18. Stanford

19. Rutgers

20. Michigan

How many teams from the B1G make the tournament? Maryland and NU are locks. Anyone else?

UNC, BC, Syracuse and Duke from the ACC. No one else, right?

Ivy? Just the Winner of the ILT, right? Unless, maybe, Princeton loses?

JMU beat a worn down UMD team that played Penn in the most miserable cold and rainy weather I’ve ever seen a game played in
2 1/2 days earlier. The Terps got out to an early lead on Penn but the game got bogged down by torrential rain and miserable cold. No way they completely recovered in 2.5 days to play a good team.

It was good for the team to lose though and in my opinion makes them even more dangerous.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:57 am JMU beat a worn down UMD team that played Penn in the most miserable cold and rainy weather I’ve ever seen a game played in
2 1/2 days earlier. The Terps got out to an early lead on Penn but the game got bogged down by torrential rain and miserable cold. No way they completely recovered in 2.5 days to play a good team.

It was good for the team to lose though and in my opinion makes them even more dangerous.
I’ll buy that—on both.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:31 am UNC, BC, Syracuse and Duke from the ACC. No one else, right?
I think so, right??

ND and UVA both have records of 0.500 going in to the ACC tournament so both would have to win their first round game to even be eligible. So UVA would have to beat Cuse and ND would have to beat Duke. Virginia Tech is 9-8 and is still eligible with a first round loss to BC in the ACC tournament, but I don't think the'll get a bid with JMU and SBU taking up 2 at-large bids.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:14 am
Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:57 am JMU beat a worn down UMD team that played Penn in the most miserable cold and rainy weather I’ve ever seen a game played in

I’ll buy that—on both.
Respectfully, I'll buy the "good loss." I think Maryland likely got a real lesson from the JMU game, and elevated its overall game on the field since that loss. JMU brought a very good zone defense (Maryland scored two goals in the second half), and a few really good goal scorers to College Park, and won.

But not because Penn gave the Terps a game and it was cold out. I rarely buy the notion that these highly conditioned, elite athletes in their late teens and early twenties cannot recover in 2.5 days. In late May, there is a game on Friday, followed by one on Sunday. Everyone who survives the Friday game usually seems OK Sunday around 1:00 PM.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:37 am

I’ll buy that—on both.
Respectfully, I'll buy the "good loss." I think Maryland likely got a real lesson from the JMU game, and elevated its overall game on the field since that loss. JMU brought a very good zone defense (Maryland scored two goals in the second half), and a few really good goal scorers to College Park, and won.

But not because Penn gave the Terps a game and it was cold out. I rarely buy the notion that these highly conditioned, elite athletes in their late teens and early twenties cannot recover in 2.5 days. In late May, there is a game on Friday, followed by one on Sunday. Everyone who survives the Friday game usually seems OK Sunday around 1:00 PM.
Good points. Do you agree that Maryland would beat JMU fairly comfortably if they played this week— regardless of the venue?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:59 am

I’ll buy that—on both.

Good points. Do you agree that Maryland would beat JMU fairly comfortably if they played this week— regardless of the venue?
No.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

I’ll buy that—on both.

Yeah these kids grow up playing club ball in summer heat playing up to 4 or 5 games in a day. Usually on a Sunday after having played 2 games in the same heat the day before. To think that their bodies can't recover in 2.5 days, especially with all the athletic training resources that are available to them, is laughable.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”