houndace1

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by houndace1 »

IL released their Power 100 Freshman Rankings

3 Loyola Freshmen made the cut

#91 Evan James
#95 Eric Pacheco
#97 Colton Teitelbaum

The other 4 stars in in our recruiting class have to feel disrespected at least...

Furthermore if you break down each individual position on the list that comprises the top 100, there's not a single Loyola guy on the page results. Pretty sure, this drops the overall class rating as well with only 12 stars total.
Last edited by houndace1 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Lenwood117 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:08 pm Do not sleep on Army

I don't think you can sleep on any team anymore, regardless of conference. Every team is excellent to some extent.

Where I think Army will have the most trouble is losing Surdick and Barretto. I've always maintained that it's far easier to replace offense than defense. Surdick imo was a generational talent; the guy kept that team afloat, and if he let his man go, you had Barretto in goal as a fantastic keeper.

I realize Nichtern had a great freshman year, but I don't think he's necessarily great, rather he was the one guy on that squad unafraid to competently take the ball to the net (Manown and SIlva are good, but an opposing defense does not create new strategy to deny either the ball). Losing Surdick and Barretto is a difficult, all-defense loss...not easy to replace in one year. Surdick was so far and away the #1 CT leader on that team, which leads to a great ball possession disparity. Someone will need to equal that this year, or Army will have some serious ball possession issues.

That all being said, Army always brings talent no matter what year and no doubt will be their usual selves this season. I just believe that Bucknell and Lehigh have better teams.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:07 pm IL released their Power 100 Freshman Rankings

#91 Evan James
#95 Eric Pacheco
#97 Colton Teitelbaum

The other 4 stars in this group have to feel disrespected at least...

Interesting IL list to say the least. I dunno about some of those names. We shall see how it all pans out! The scoreboard talks the loudest and last! Let's go!!!!
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I have not seen the rankings but I'd wager the Stars favor UVA, Yale, Duke, UNC, Hopkins, Maryland and Ohio State somewhat in that order. Now I've got to find the rankings.... :o

Peter Brown - yeah, no need to compete with Hop on thread count. We demonstrated we could keep up, match, and at times exceed. Relevant posting trumps legacy wishfulness. :lol:

Teddy Roosevelt said it best, "Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick". :)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:23 am I see PB is sold on Najee, my question is why did he leave ND, it may have been discussed prior as i have been on hiatus from thee boards. Fast does not necessary equate to a superior lacrosse player.

Look, I don't know anything about him other than what I have seen and I have heard nothing other than praise of his character. And if this is a second chance issue (speculative), I'm all for second chances. As Wahoomurf so eloquently put it, that's part of our school's mission...let's live up to it, I say!

Najee's athleticism, strength, speed, smarts, and ambidextrous skill is sublime...honestly, I have no idea how he is not ranked in IL's list in the top-10. He dishes really well (Not always looking for the shot), he shoots hard with both hands on the run, and he is very aware of his teammates at all times.

Let's keep this kid's skills quiet lest some other team try to poach him away.

My hunch is Najee will see the field a ton and put up some eye-catching numbers. Our middie corps was somewhat lightened up in the off-season, so a number of our frsoh are likely to see action. I think he's one.

Let's go!!!!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:58 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:23 am I see PB is sold on Najee, my question is why did he leave ND, it may have been discussed prior as i have been on hiatus from thee boards. Fast does not necessary equate to a superior lacrosse player.

Look, I don't know anything about him other than what I have seen and I have heard nothing other than praise of his character. And if this is a second chance issue (speculative), I'm all for second chances. As Wahoomurf so eloquently put it, that's part of our school's mission...let's live up to it, I say!

Najee's athleticism, strength, speed, smarts, and ambidextrous skill is sublime...honestly, I have no idea how he is not ranked in IL's list in the top-10. He dishes really well (Not always looking for the shot), he shoots hard with both hands on the run, and he is very aware of his teammates at all times.

Let's keep this kid's skills quiet lest some other team try to poach him away.

My hunch is Najee will see the field a ton and put up some eye-catching numbers. Our middie corps was somewhat lightened up in the off-season, so a number of our frsoh are likely to see action. I think he's one.

Let's go!!!!
Looking at what the midfield lost of Duffy, McGovern, Brown, Scanlan. The most suitable replacements IMO would be Wigley, Devereaux if he tweaks his shot placement he can be a stud sniper, Swindell, Evan James, Taylor, and Seay. Swindell can be the two way middie threat in transition (he has an incredible shot too).

2017 opener against Virginia, Loyola was down a couple goals to start and Spencer through a star pass from around X to Swindell up to0. He shot it so hard with a crow hop that a bunch of us students sitting in the top deck of Ridley didn't even know the ball went in or where it went, until we saw the refs signal a goal.

PB, where have you heard these reports of Taylor and the others
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:30 pm I have not seen the rankings but I'd wager the Stars favor UVA, Yale, Duke, UNC, Hopkins, Maryland and Ohio State somewhat in that order. Now I've got to find the rankings.... :o

Peter Brown - yeah, no need to compete with Hop on thread count. We demonstrated we could keep up, match, and at times exceed. Relevant posting trumps legacy wishfulness. :lol:

Duke has the most stars when i scrolled through the power 100 names and the colleges. They have a loaded class this year. Also Georgetown got a nice amount of talented recruits for 2019-2020
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:41 pm
NovaHound wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:30 pm I have not seen the rankings but I'd wager the Stars favor UVA, Yale, Duke, UNC, Hopkins, Maryland and Ohio State somewhat in that order. Now I've got to find the rankings.... :o

Duke has the most stars when i scrolled through the power 100 names and the colleges. They have a loaded class this year. Also Georgetown got a nice amount of talented recruits for 2019-2020
So besides Spencer, who would you say was great last year?
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:33 pm
houndace1 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:07 pm IL released their Power 100 Freshman Rankings

#91 Evan James
#95 Eric Pacheco
#97 Colton Teitelbaum

Interesting IL list to say the least. I dunno about some of those names. We shall see how it all pans out! The scoreboard talks the loudest and last! Let's go!!!!
Loyola is regularly ignored on these lists. It's ok. THe results ont hefield speak volumes. I'll take our no names over the IL lists any day.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Brought the Table in from IL - OK, I was off a little, but not much. I like the rankings when they work to my preconceived perceptions but not sure you translate this into winning the Natty. Possibly? It does highlight the kids who got the most exposure.

I see one juggernaut missing - Penn State. They had 3 boys make the list, albeit somewhat higher than Loyola's 3. Does that mean anything? Not sure. Let's see how this plays out over the next few years. :D

Rank Team 5 4 3 2 1 Avg Total
1 Maryland 2 10 0 0 0 4 50
2 ND 1 9 0 0 0 41
3 Duke 4 5 0 0 0 4 40
4 Yale 2 6 0 0 0 4 34
5 OSU 1 7 0 0 0 4 33
6 Brown 0 8 0 0 0 4 32
7 JHU 0 8 0 0 0 4 32
8 UNC 0 8 0 0 0 4 32
9 Virginia 3 4 0 0 0 4 31
10 G'town 2 5 0 0 0 4 30
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:10 am

#91 Evan James
#95 Eric Pacheco
#97 Colton Teitelbaum

Loyola is regularly ignored on these lists. It's ok. THe results ont hefield speak volumes. I'll take our no names over the IL lists any day.
Which Loyola players have been ignored on the IL Top 100 incoming freshmen over the last 4 years that IL missed? That encompasses current freshmen through seniors at Loyola. I guess I can expand that to Ty Xanders' old Recruiting Rundown website too. Who did he miss? In other words, who was left off the list that proved they should've been on it or should've been much higher?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:21 am

#91 Evan James
#95 Eric Pacheco
#97 Colton Teitelbaum

Which Loyola players have been ignored on the IL Top 100 incoming freshmen over the last 4 years that IL missed? That encompasses current freshmen through seniors at Loyola. I guess I can expand that to Ty Xanders' old Recruiting Rundown website too. Who did he miss? In other words, who was left off the list that proved they should've been on it or should've been much higher?

Different school but same league, I believe IL and everyone else failed to note Johnny Surdick of Army (high school was Gtown Prep I believe) who was the single best defenseman in D1 not just last year but the last two years.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:32 pm

#91 Evan James
#95 Eric Pacheco
#97 Colton Teitelbaum

Different school but same league, I believe IL and everyone else failed to note Johnny Surdick of Army (high school was Gtown Prep I believe) who was the single best defenseman in D1 not just last year but the last two years.
PB, I looked it up and it looks like you are correct. Surdick went to Dematha, but IL did not list him in their 2015 recruiting issue. I can't tell if he was in their top 40 defensemen in the 2014 issue. Since he went to USMAPS, it's possible he could've been in either issue. Shut down defensemen are a little bit hard to project. The top defensemen all look really good against almost all HS competition. They are big, fast and usually skilled compared to most everyone in HS. But the range at which they are effective in college guarding players like Pat Spencer, Grant Ament and Michael Sowers varies greatly. IL probably looks at stick skills and contributions by a longstick to ground balls, clearing and scoring as a huge criteria for how the rank players. But, for some players like Surdick, it really doesn't matter much how good he is at starting a fast break if he can shut down Pat Spencer.

This is not to say that IL fails to notice all shut down defensemen, just that I can see how some would fail to grab their attention.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

#91 Evan James
#95 Eric Pacheco
#97 Colton Teitelbaum

Looking back, they missed out on Wigley, he wasn't even given an evaluation and he's turned out to be a reliable midfielder. Duffy wasn't highly touted coming from Oregon. Gave 4 stars to Cam Wyers but didn't place him in the top defensemen rankings.

Foster Huggins, Joe Fletcher - two great D guys that weren't highly regarded. Drapeau was a top 60 midfielder but his stock skyrocketed in his junior and senior years at Loyola.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Lenwood117 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:08 am

When spencer didn't initiate or at least couldn't initiate after being locked down by a defender, then the next good option who produced was Olmstead and Lindley as the 1-2 punch. Remember in the Georgetown game, Spencer didn't have a great night, but Olmstead picked up his game and had 4g 2 assists. That's impressive to me
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:51 pm

When spencer didn't initiate or at least couldn't initiate after being locked down by a defender, then the next good option who produced was Olmstead and Lindley as the 1-2 punch. Remember in the Georgetown game, Spencer didn't have a great night, but Olmstead picked up his game and had 4g 2 assists. That's impressive to me
You keep going to the GT game.
Loyola vs Army semi finals both had one goal.
VS Penn State Olmstead 2G, Lindley 1G,
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Lenwood117 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:14 pm

I'd argue that in games where Loyola failed and also where the games counted (PSU, Army), it's easy imo for sophs to not know if and how they should be initiators if the Teewaarton guy hasn't explicitly directed them to do so. Lindley and Olmstead have yet to get the credit due them (that'll happen this year) because the Hounds' offense was built around Pat for the last four years, hence both Lindley and Olmstead were more reactionaries rather than initiators. In the two games you highlighted, my read was our offense was disjointed (I'd add another note to all this by observing we had another starter who did not mesh well with Lindley/Olmstead, however he is gone too).

Both however have the game to initiate, it's just that you really haven't been able to discern much of it...yet. I've seen both light up very good defenders in practice. To say I have zero worries is the greatest understatement of all time.

More interesting to me is the fact that we have so many capable 3rd attackman waiting to take a role, and almost everyone that I know and have seen are initiators...it'll be interesting to see defenses this year counter 3 very good initiating attackman. Think UVA last year...that is what you will have this year with Loyola's attack.
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:37 pm
Lenwood117 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:14 pm

I'd argue that in games where Loyola failed and also where the games counted (PSU, Army), it's easy imo for sophs to not know if and how they should be initiators if the Teewaarton guy hasn't explicitly directed them to do so. Lindley and Olmstead have yet to get the credit due them (that'll happen this year) because the Hounds' offense was built around Pat for the last four years, hence both Lindley and Olmstead were more reactionaries rather than initiators. In the two games you highlighted, my read was our offense was disjointed (I'd add another note to all this by observing we had another starter who did not mesh well with Lindley/Olmstead, however he is gone too).

Both however have the game to initiate, it's just that you really haven't been able to discern much of it...yet. I've seen both light up very good defenders in practice. To say I have zero worries is the greatest understatement of all time.

More interesting to me is the fact that we have so many capable 3rd attackman waiting to take a role, and almost everyone that I know and have seen are initiators...it'll be interesting to see defenses this year counter 3 very good initiating attackman. Think UVA last year...that is what you will have this year with Loyola's attack.
All very good points, IMO Loyola still the team to beat.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:48 pm

#91 Evan James
#95 Eric Pacheco
#97 Colton Teitelbaum

Looking back, they missed out on Wigley, he wasn't even given an evaluation and he's turned out to be a reliable midfielder. Duffy wasn't highly touted coming from Oregon. Gave 4 stars to Cam Wyers but didn't place him in the top defensemen rankings.

Foster Huggins, Joe Fletcher - two great D guys that weren't highly regarded. Drapeau was a top 60 midfielder but his stock skyrocketed in his junior and senior years at Loyola.
Wigley had 8 points as a soph. Not bad, lets see what he does this year, but not a miss by IL i would say.

Duffy was top 100 out of HS, so that's not a miss. I like Duffy. He was on my fantasy team, but he was not dominating college lacrosse.

Cam Wyers was the #13 defenseman in IL's recruiting issue.

Fletcher was from WAY too long ago for me to look and for me to care. I don't know much about Huggins.

I'm not buying the narrative that IL ignores Loyola players. I can probably find some Loyola players they rank too highly.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:51 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:32 pm

#91 Evan James
#95 Eric Pacheco
#97 Colton Teitelbaum

PB, I looked it up and it looks like you are correct. Surdick went to Dematha, but IL did not list him in their 2015 recruiting issue. I can't tell if he was in their top 40 defensemen in the 2014 issue. Since he went to USMAPS, it's possible he could've been in either issue. Shut down defensemen are a little bit hard to project. The top defensemen all look really good against almost all HS competition. They are big, fast and usually skilled compared to most everyone in HS. But the range at which they are effective in college guarding players like Pat Spencer, Grant Ament and Michael Sowers varies greatly. IL probably looks at stick skills and contributions by a longstick to ground balls, clearing and scoring as a huge criteria for how the rank players. But, for some players like Surdick, it really doesn't matter much how good he is at starting a fast break if he can shut down Pat Spencer.

This is not to say that IL fails to notice all shut down defensemen, just that I can see how some would fail to grab their attention.

Your post above is about as coherent and informative a post on Fanlax or Laxpower I have ever read and not simply because you said I was correct...lol.

It does seem harder to gauge defenders coming out of high school. And possibly goals scored by defense might make the rankers take notice more. I think that was possibly the case with Ryan McNulty, who has a phenomenal shot off a long pole.

Surdick was a kid I saw play many times in college, and I was always blown away with how strong and quick he was. Spencer could not bully this guy at all, which Pat was able to often do to others. Compounding the headache for Pat was Surdick was exceptionally bright at field awareness, again a trait you see some occasional lapses in by more-heralded players. For Surdick, his CT's the last two years were remarkable b/c he did all that really by himself (if you ever saw how Army played defense, which was basically man to man with little backup). BU had as good defense on CT's as Army, but the Terriers tag-teamed to create Turnovers. Surdick's CT's were almost always open field stick checks. Army will really miss him.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”