Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by DougELax »

Finally, a Wombat cat post. :lol:
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:17 pm
Probably not a real native.
I’d be very happy to see you say that to the younger Fox. haha He’s got quite a rep for letting his lefts and rights do the talking in the box leagues up north
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:19 pm
OCanada wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:36 pm TLD

I would be careful on that. They are recognized in Canada as an original indigenous people. They have another of other recognitions as well.

Some links if anyone wants to connect.
http://www.native-languages.org/metis.htm

In the USA it is an issue in Indian Country. The test to be a recognized tribe by the USA is anthropological determined by the DOI. Not all tribes have received recognition and some should not. Each tribe determines the qualification for membership. For a great majority it’s a blood quantum test of 25%. This is causing some angst as the test wax established decades ago and intermarriage is threatening numbers.

It’s interested me over the years how under appreciated the influence of Indian culture is. Indians are a separate culture with differing values and traditions. That Scanlan, after not getting the aid he needed from Cuse ended up at a catholic institution run by a religious order that did do much harm to Indians in the past was a shock. The divorce want inevitable but it would have taken effort to avoid. He is probably where he should have been all along. That or Albany.

Anyway Métis are considered a tribe
it wasn't that he didn't get the aid that he needed.
his quote (paraphrasing) was essentially that $$ didn't come through the lacrosse program, but rather (probably) thru the haudenosaunee promise scholarship (if he lived on tribal land. honors maybe otherwise)... thinking that the coaches didn't have as much "invested" in him, and that he wouldn't get as much of a chance as others that did.
outside looking in, he probably could've used some counsel on this take, too, at the time. but sometimes you have to go through things to learn and as you mature.

as far as anything being inevitable, catholics and history --- i don't think anyone but him can speak for his take on that.
Knowing players and coaches at IMG it is safe to say Chase Scanlan doesn’t always get the best advice.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:59 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:17 pm
Probably not a real native.
I’d be very happy to see you say that to the younger Fox. haha He’s got quite a rep for letting his lefts and rights do the talking in the box leagues up north
It was a facetious comment. There is no sarcasm font.... obviously my comment missed the mark. ABV 8.3% knows it all so it was a dig at him. No offense to Fox and his family. If anyone is offended, I apologize. Not questioning the heritage of the Fox family...... unfortunately you too often hear people define what a person is for them.... "not a real this or not a real that".....best suited for politics not men's lacrosse. My fault.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

TLD you are so right re: your last comments. I is t get your perspective first time around. Never saw any offense.

Benson Irwin took to boxing while at Hopkins to improve his footwork, hand speed and positioning. Worked out well for him and us. Hope Fox is a fighter not a brawler. Brawlers don’t know how to punch

Now about that other chore :)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I hate to see JHU's page count thread expand. This page count should be reflective of any team that struggles to achieve an 8-8 record (with referee help). If I were the moderator, I'd remove about 30 pages.

Next.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hopkins lives rent-free in this guy's brain. Literally cannot stop talking about us. Completely unsolicited. The guy just can't stop! It's pathological. You absolutely love to see it.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:08 am Hopkins lives rent-free in this guy's brain. Literally cannot stop talking about us. Completely unsolicited. The guy just can't stop! It's pathological. You absolutely love to see it.

Not true. I want to see the 7th-best D1 team in the state of Maryland succeed.

:lol:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

There by proving the point
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:30 am ...and how they went from nearly knocking off penn st to that notre dame disaster. none of those things are state secrets and it's time for some light, transparency, accountability and fresh air at homewood.
Okay, back to lacrosse. Yes, okay, that second Penn State game, the Big 10 tourney final, following two wins over Maryland. I confess, I didn't see the game against Notre Dame (although I do recall that the Irish had recently lost at home to Cornell), but, how could a team that looked so good against Maryland and Penn State have such a mediocre record and right after those tremendous three games lose so badly to Notre Dame?
PeteStreet

Post by PeteStreet »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:24 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:08 am Hopkins lives rent-free in this guy's brain. Literally cannot stop talking about us. Completely unsolicited. The guy just can't stop! It's pathological. You absolutely love to see it.

7th best? Loyola must not have a math program.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

PeteStreet wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:16 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:24 am

7th best? Loyola must not have a math program.
They don’t have a geography program either. He’s counting Georgetown.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hmm. Out of state. Geography too
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

At the risk of increasing your undeservedly high page count, let me simply say this: I was being gracious labeling you '7th best in the State of Maryland'. For the time being and in the interests of being a good if empathetic neighbor, I decided to not include Calvert Hall High School and Salisbury University.

Also, G-town is in fact situated in what was originally the State of Maryland (since stolen by the illegal Residence Act), and Coach Warne licks his lacrosse chops dreaming of replacing Denver with Hopkins! As a former UMBC coach, he knows what's up in this state (we all do). :lol:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06: ask, and ye shall receive. The team posted two videos about the first week of practice with Petro and Forry Smith, neither of which reveal anything of substance. Hope you're happy with all this #content!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I’m starting to believe Loyola is filled with twatwaffles.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

You can’t be in Baltimore and not know a lot of Loyola grads. All but two have been wonderful. Of the two one is my brother in law :!:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:15 pm You can’t be in Baltimore and not know a lot of Loyola grads. All but two have been wonderful. Of the two one is my brother in law :!:
:lol: Now that is funny! Does that make me deplorable?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”