All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Seacoaster(1)

Re: All Things Environment

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:23 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:00 pm Take it up with Monmouth….now get off my lawn. 😉
It's truly funny. You get run out of the arena for bringing forth an opposing viewpoint. :roll: :roll:

Joe
Definitely not running him out of the arena. I just presented a view that whether they are fed up or don't care, the underlying issue is not "BS." YA presents these things knowing he will elicit commentary and, because he is increasingly enamored of weird misinformation sources, knows he will get pushback. At least this time he presented a fairly creditable poll. But no one is "canceling him" or running him off.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:34 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:00 pm Take it up with Monmouth….now get off my lawn. 😉
It's truly funny. You get run out of the arena for bringing forth an opposing viewpoint. :roll: :roll:

Joe
Definitely not running him out of the arena. I just presented a view that whether they are fed up or don't care, the underlying issue is not "BS." YA presents these things knowing he will elicit commentary and, because he is increasingly enamored of weird misinformation sources, knows he will get pushback. At least this time he presented a fairly creditable poll. But no one is "canceling him" or running him off.
Yup. Discussing the issues is now "cancel culture." He likes to talk a lot about posters and their behavior, but little on the actual issues.

But the good news? If we get those polling numbers down even more, then Climate Change and global warming will go away!

Kind of like if you stop testing for COVID, say in Florida, then infection numbers will drop. Pretty simple stuff really.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Joe
Climate Change is a deep and ever evolving discussion( And NOT just towards the NEGATIVE). It''s not a black and white issue by any stretch of the means it just simply is not.

The million dollar question for you to consider is WHY this younger generation doesn't believe in it as much as YOU think they should. And do not cite Trump as a reason. Trumpism is not the answer for every single aspect of life. That's the important question. You miss that being so quick to shoot down Youth's post which is simply an attempt to incite rational discussion. That's my point.

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:35 pm

Joe
Climate Change is a deep and ever evolving discussion( And NOT just towards the NEGATIVE). It''s not a black and white issue by any stretch of the means it just simply is not.

The million dollar question for you to consider is WHY this younger generation doesn't believe in it as much as YOU think they should. And do not cite Trump as a reason. Trumpism is not the answer for every single aspect of life. That's the important question. You miss that being so quick to shoot down Youth's post which is simply an attempt to incite rational discussion. That's my point.

Joe
Social media.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:35 pm

Joe

Joe
We can disagree about the science. Talk to Maine fishermen; I have and they are f*cking shellshocked by the changes in the environment in which they work out a living wage. I get that the issue doesn't present in a black and white way, but the principal reason that young people may not be as alarmed as they should (my view Joe) be is that it still presents as an abstraction for most if not the vast majority of them. They are absorbed in social media, and don't focus on this issue in a square-shouldered way (also my view, based on my interactions with dozens and dozens of kids my children's ages, 25 and 28).

Nothing in my post mentioned or even implicitly alluded to Trump. And again, I did not "shoot down" YA's post; I commented on it and presented a series of articles from a reputable news source about apparent changes in the climate, and possible ramifications of those changes. This is what a discussion board is for: presentation of different viewpoints, sometimes contesting viewpoints. Your view of this appears (again, to me) to be that opposition is cancellation. Simply not so. And it apparently bears repeating: I never mentioned Trump.
Typical Lax Dad

Rising Insurance Costs

“Another industry impacted by climate change is insurance. Unlike other fields, insurance has a larger effect on global consumers than companies.

As the risk of extreme weather events increases, premiums for flood and storm protection will likely rise to mitigate insurance companies’ risk. This could result in higher insurance costs for many firms and negatively impact their bottom lines.”

Yeah climate change is fake.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:59 pm Rising Insurance Costs

“Another industry impacted by climate change is insurance. Unlike other fields, insurance has a larger effect on global consumers than companies.

As the risk of extreme weather events increases, premiums for flood and storm protection will likely rise to mitigate insurance companies’ risk. This could result in higher insurance costs for many firms and negatively impact their bottom lines.”

Interesting that you think "Climate Change is fake". Who ever said that? Simple question, do you believe that every single topic of discussion across all annals of society is simply black or white? Thanks.

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:05 pm

Interesting that you think "Climate Change is fake". Who ever said that? Simple question, do you believe that every single topic of discussion across all annals of society is simply black or white? Thanks.

Joe
Very few things in science has a 100% confidence factor. I have been educated. My wife is a molecular biologist so I know very few things in science are a 100% certainty. There isn’t a 100% certainty that nobody else on the planet has your DNA.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:58 pm

Joe
Very few things in science has a 100% confidence factor. I have been educated. My wife is a molecular biologist so I know very few things in science are a 100% certainty. There isn’t a 100% certainty that nobody else on the planet has your DNA.
Thank you.

Joe
a fan

Post by a fan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:44 pm

Joe
Thank you.

Joe
That part that is 100% certain is the part TLD alluded to with regard to climate change: insurers are going to run their numbers. And they don't care what anyone thinks about their risk assessment. Insurers will figure out warming first.

Personally, I think it will be an economic boom, as entire cities are abandoned not because they're unlivable..but because they are uninsurable.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:07 pm

Joe
Thank you.

Joe
That part that is 100% certain is the part TLD alluded to with regard to climate change: insurers are going to run their numbers. And they don't care what anyone thinks about their risk assessment. Insurers will figure out warming first.

Personally, I think it will be an economic boom, as entire cities are abandoned not because they're unlivable..but because they are uninsurable.
https://www.fema.gov/sites/default/file ... m-2012.pdf

This was a hot topic in 2012…

About 20 percent of all NFIP policies pay subsidized rates. Only a portion of those policies that are currently paying subsidized premiums will see larger premium increases of 25% annually starting this year, until their premiums are full-risk premiums. Five percent of policyholders – those with subsidized policies for non-primary residences, businesses, and severe repetitive
loss properties - will see the 25% annual increases immediately. . Subsidies will no longer be offered for policies covering newly purchased properties, lapsed policies, or new policies covering properties for the first time.

I believe congress stepped in and rolled this back. Insurers are exiting markets now.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sat May 25, 2024 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Joe
“Taxes, death and trouble.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:50 pm

Joe
2 of the 3 for certain.
Typical Lax Dad

Climate change has nothing to do with this:

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/home ... e-changes/
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:59 pm Climate change has nothing to do with this:

Insurance companies have all the control. Great industry to work in. Recession and Covid-Proof. Thanks for reiterating that!

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:59 pm Climate change has nothing to do with this:

Insurance companies have all the control. Great industry to work in. Recession and Covid-Proof. Thanks for reiterating that!

Joe
Yep. They just make up risk and charge for it.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:54 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:50 pm

Joe
2 of the 3 for certain.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:42 pm

Joe
Thank you.

Joe

About 20 percent of all NFIP policies pay subsidized rates. Only a portion of those policies that are currently paying subsidized premiums will see larger premium increases of 25% annually starting this year, until their premiums are full-risk premiums. Five percent of policyholders – those with subsidized policies for non-primary residences, businesses, and severe repetitive
loss properties - will see the 25% annual increases immediately. . Subsidies will no longer be offered for policies covering newly purchased properties, lapsed policies, or new policies covering properties for the first time.

I believe congress stepped in and rolled this back. Insurers are existing markets now.
And FEMA backstops the rest. Sooner or later, folks will get sick of paying for other American's choice of locale.......
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:13 am

Joe
Thank you.

Joe

I believe congress stepped in and rolled this back. Insurers are existing markets now.
And FEMA backstops the rest. Sooner or later, folks will get sick of paying for other American's choice of locale.......
So with all of the never ending predictions of upcoming climate change disasters the Uber wealthy have no problems when it comes to hitting the beach. Even with all the predictions of environmental calamity it ain't stopping the folks with the dough from gobbling up beach front real estate like it's going out of style. That is odd to say the least. The same people spreading fear are many of the same people doing all of the buying. Given the fear being spread I would think beach front real estate would be the equivalent of catching a venereal disease . It looks like the Uber rich are ignoring their own warnings. ;)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:48 pm
a fan wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:13 am

Joe
Thank you.

Joe

So with all of the never ending predictions of upcoming climate change disasters the Uber wealthy have no problems when it comes to hitting the beach. Even with all the predictions of environmental calamity it ain't stopping the folks with the dough from gobbling up beach front real estate like it's going out of style. That is odd to say the least. The same people spreading fear are many of the same people doing all of the buying. Given the fear being spread I would think beach front real estate would be the equivalent of catching a venereal disease . It looks like the Uber rich are ignoring their own warnings. ;)
They can afford to. That's the point to that kind of money----do what you want, and not care about the cost.

What's the plan for the poor and middle class when they can't get home insurance in the town' they love?

My point is that the insurance industry will make the environmental predictions, cradle. They're not going to insure homes in areas that they know are prone to more frequent floods, tornadoes, forest fires, hurricanes, etc. Not without jacking up premiums to levels only the rich can afford.

Return to “POLITICS”