All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:09 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:58 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:30 am
old salt wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:05 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:40 pm ...the avowed white christian nationalism led by an authoritarian imperialist who funds these movements around the world
Who is the authoritarian imperialist who funds these white christian nationalist movements around the world ? The Pope ? Franklin Graham ? Jerry Falwell Jr ? Jimmy Swaggart ? Pat Robertson ? Jim & Tammy Faye have left the stage.
Putin.
You know this...not sure why you're pretending to be dumb about it.

BTW, this Pope is certainly not a white christian nationalist....you may have noticed how much the right wing dislikes him.
I don't follow each of the evangelist folks you mention closely enough to lump any of them as part of supporting authoritarian imperialism, and I don't recall racism being an essential component...maybe Jerry Falwell?
He’s more of a Jerry Falwell Jr kind of guy. Straight ethics and honor!
https://www.thenation.com/article/archi ... tolerance/

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ns-107133/

Junior: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/01 ... itous-fall

Grifters. Using hate, as if that was God's plan...
Alright Md. I know your not a fire breathing reality denier but leading with the Nation?

I was thinking more about his party style, which if I ran into him in key west and he had some hotties and invites me onto his house boat I wouldn’t be slow to hop on. Just make sure ive got lots of puracell and antiseptics for what I know I’m about to get into.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:01 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:09 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:58 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:30 am
old salt wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:05 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:40 pm ...the avowed white christian nationalism led by an authoritarian imperialist who funds these movements around the world
Who is the authoritarian imperialist who funds these white christian nationalist movements around the world ? The Pope ? Franklin Graham ? Jerry Falwell Jr ? Jimmy Swaggart ? Pat Robertson ? Jim & Tammy Faye have left the stage.
Putin.
You know this...not sure why you're pretending to be dumb about it.

BTW, this Pope is certainly not a white christian nationalist....you may have noticed how much the right wing dislikes him.
I don't follow each of the evangelist folks you mention closely enough to lump any of them as part of supporting authoritarian imperialism, and I don't recall racism being an essential component...maybe Jerry Falwell?
He’s more of a Jerry Falwell Jr kind of guy. Straight ethics and honor!
https://www.thenation.com/article/archi ... tolerance/

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ns-107133/

Junior: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/01 ... itous-fall

Grifters. Using hate, as if that was God's plan...
Alright Md. I know your not a fire breathing reality denier but leading with the Nation?

I was thinking more about his party style, which if I ran into him in key west and he had some hotties and invites me onto his house boat I wouldn’t be slow to hop on. Just make sure ive got lots of puracell and antiseptics for what I know I’m about to get into.
:D yes, that's definitely a lefty source...just popped up early when I googled Falwell and race and at first glance looked like a good overview of that relationship; same for Politico as an overall analysis...that's the dad...son is the one you are referring to. I added him as the third link. He also popped up on the race question for a tweet about VA governor in blackface; apologies, etc.

But lots and lots of articles, just linked first couple. No endorsement of specific publications.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

U.N. needs to figure way to suspend or remove permanent member Russia from the U.N. Security Council.
The parent, not the coach.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Jim Malone wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:17 pm U.N. needs to figure way to suspend or remove permanent member Russia from the U.N. Security Council.
Agreed; and now is the time to do it with Russia’s dwindling number of vassals and friends. Is it even possible?
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:38 pm
Jim Malone wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:17 pm U.N. needs to figure way to suspend or remove permanent member Russia from the U.N. Security Council.
Agreed; and now is the time to do it with Russia’s dwindling number of vassals and friends. Is it even possible?
No its not. There is no provision in the UN charter to remove a permanent member of the Security Council.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:06 pm ...& whoever thought it would get this far ? You do realize that those 4 partially conquered oblasts are now considered by the entire Russian government' & the Russian people, to be part of Russia again, like Crimea. It might be in violation of international law & upend the international order --- ok, what are we gonna do about it ? Do you wanna play the escalation game to wrest that territory back from Russia ? How far are you willing to go ?
You keep misrepresenting my position, as well as your own. You're basically complaining because we have a Dem POTUS, and like FoxNation, you're looking for something to whine about (Dems are bad), without bothering to give a DETAILED solution.

"Negotiate" isn't a detailed solution. You have to tell us EXACTLY what Biden (since you plainly want to blame him), Zelensky, and Putin need to do.

If you can't give a detailed solution? You're complaining just to complain.
old salt wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:06 pm Excuse me, but you've been telling me for how many years now that Putin would not & could not do the things he has done already.
As usual, you don't pay any attention at all to what others write. Or what YOU write, while we're at it.

What I said was, to summarize:

1. Russia' GDP is a joke, and Putin can't afford to do what he's trying to do. You and other military pundits still think it's 1980, when it was the Soviet GDP that we were talking about.

2. War and elite armaments are expensive. So expensive, that it was MONEY that broke the Soviet's back. Russian GDP is where it was 20 years ago. Putin SUCKS at management, and Russia is a 2nd rate nation as a result. How big is Russia? How big is Japan? And yet? Japan is KILLING the GDP of Russia. Why? Sh*t management from guys like Putin who would rather rob his fellow Russians blind than work smartly to raise the tide, so that both he and the average Russian can get richer. Stupid.

3. I used the metaphor: "why doesn't the US invade Canada?" to illustrate that in 2022, you can't invade a sovereign nation without serious economic consequences. How's the economy doing in Russia these days, OS? Not that you care, or bother looking, because you're too busy throwing rocks at the US and the EU.

4. I mocked the bases in Syria. Now how is it that I'm smart enough to know that Russian submarines are utterly pointless in 2022, but the guy who had top notch military training didn't get my point? How's that Syrian sub base workin' out for Putin, OS? Or his airbases in Syria? :roll: Boy, he sure was playing chess when he blew a few billion for those pointless 1980's relics. Bet he wishes he spent that money on training his freaking officers better. Whoops.

5. I also told you that Ukraine's economy was a car crash, and all Putin was doing was annexing the worst economy in Europe, and adding to his economic problems. It be as as smart as the Governor of California annexing Mississippi.....now the Cali gov has a bunch of mouths to feed from his GDP in CA. And of course, all of this is worse because the lands he's trying to annex are piles of rubble in many places. Where the F do you think he's gonna get the money to fix that, OS?

So guess what? I've been right this entire time. I called it, soup to nuts. Putin isn't playing chess, and what's REALLY happening here is that you and FoxNation have egg on your face from years of making Putin seem like a brilliant chess master.........when it turns out that nope, he's a pointless bully from another era who doesn't know how to help the Russian people in the 21st century.

So what did he do? He pulled a temper tantrum.

In short: I NEVER said he wouldn't do this. What I said was: he'd be an idiot to invade. And I was 10000% right.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'd just like to take exception to this little RT-inspired gem:

"...& whoever thought it would get this far ? You do realize that those 4 partially conquered oblasts are now considered by the entire Russian government' & the Russian people, to be part of Russia again, like Crimea."

Nope, most (educated) Russians know full well that the annexed portions of Ukraine (including Crimea) are not actually part of Russia. Same for the government people...the majority of them also know full well it's a sham, unrecognized by the rest of the world...they may well wish otherwise, but they know it's BS. They just can't argue with Putin.

BTW, an awful lot of less educated Russians know full well too.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:19 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:06 pm ...& whoever thought it would get this far ? You do realize that those 4 partially conquered oblasts are now considered by the entire Russian government' & the Russian people, to be part of Russia again, like Crimea. It might be in violation of international law & upend the international order --- ok, what are we gonna do about it ? Do you wanna play the escalation game to wrest that territory back from Russia ? How far are you willing to go ?
You keep misrepresenting my position, as well as your own. You're basically complaining because we have a Dem POTUS, and like FoxNation, you're looking for something to whine about (Dems are bad), without bothering to give a DETAILED solution.

"Negotiate" isn't a detailed solution. You have to tell us EXACTLY what Biden (since you plainly want to blame him), Zelensky, and Putin need to do.

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:06 pm Excuse me, but you've been telling me for how many years now that Putin would not & could not do the things he has done already.
As usual, you don't pay any attention at all to what others write. Or what YOU write, while we're at it.

1. Russia' GDP is a joke, and Putin can't afford to do what he's trying to do. You and other military pundits still think it's 1980, when it was the Soviet GDP that we were talking about.

2. War and elite armaments are expensive. So expensive, that it was MONEY that broke the Soviet's back. Russian GDP is where it was 20 years ago. Putin SUCKS at management, and Russia is a 2nd rate nation as a result. How big is Russia? How big is Japan? And yet? Japan is KILLING the GDP of Russia. Why? Sh*t management from guys like Putin who would rather rob his fellow Russians blind than work smartly to raise the tide, so that both he and the average Russian can get richer. Stupid.

3. I used the metaphor: "why doesn't the US invade Canada?" to illustrate that in 2022, you can't invade a sovereign nation without serious economic consequences. How's the economy doing in Russia these days, OS? Not that you care, or bother looking, because you're too busy throwing rocks at the US and the EU.

4. I mocked the bases in Syria. Now how is it that I'm smart enough to know that Russian submarines are utterly pointless in 2022, but the guy who had top notch military training didn't get my point? How's that Syrian sub base workin' out for Putin, OS? Or his airbases in Syria? :roll: Boy, he sure was playing chess when he blew a few billion for those pointless 1980's relics. Bet he wishes he spent that money on training his freaking officers better. Whoops.

5. I also told you that Ukraine's economy was a car crash, and all Putin was doing was annexing the worst economy in Europe, and adding to his economic problems. It be as as smart as the Governor of California annexing Mississippi.....now the Cali gov has a bunch of mouths to feed from his GDP in CA. And of course, all of this is worse because the lands he's trying to annex are piles of rubble in many places. Where the F do you think he's gonna get the money to fix that, OS?

So guess what? I've been right this entire time. I called it, soup to nuts. Putin isn't playing chess, and what's REALLY happening here is that you and FoxNation have egg on your face from years of making Putin seem like a brilliant chess master.........when it turns out that nope, he's a pointless bully from another era who doesn't know how to help the Russian people in the 21st century.

In short: I NEVER said he wouldn't do this. What I said was: he'd be an idiot to invade. And I was 10000% right.
Pretty good summary and it didn’t cost me a penny.
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:50 pm

“You don't need a penny just to hang around
But if you've got a nickel, won't you lay your money down?
Over on the corner there's a happy noise
People come from all around to watch the magic boy.” —CCR
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:53 pm

:D
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:19 pm I mocked the bases in Syria. Now how is it that I'm smart enough to know that Russian submarines are utterly pointless in 2022, but the guy who had top notch military training didn't get my point? How's that Syrian sub base workin' out for Putin, OS? Or his airbases in Syria? :roll: Boy, he sure was playing chess when he blew a few billion for those pointless 1980's relics. Bet he wishes he spent that money on training his freaking officers better. Whoops.

I also told you that Ukraine's economy was a car crash, and all Putin was doing was annexing the worst economy in Europe, and adding to his economic problems.
Tell us more about how badly things worked out for Russia in Syria.
Who's in power in Syria ?
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/10/ ... ity-a79045
^ ftr-- that's an AFP report.

The naval base in Syria allows Russia to maintain warships from their Northern & Pacific Fleets in the Med & Suez, without having them bottled up in the Black Sea.
https://news.usni.org/2022/02/24/russia ... near-syria
It enables the Russians to maintain a persistent naval presence in a key part of the world that they would not be able to maintain otherwise.
It allowed this cruiser to remain in the E Med for 6 mos without returning to it's Northern Fleet homeport.
https://news.usni.org/2022/08/24/sister ... low-behind

Who owns Ukraine's economy now ? Who's picking up the tab ?
Who will fund their Marshall Plan & fund equipping their military to NATO acceptance standards ?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Rooting for Russia. :roll:
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:09 am Rooting for Russia. :roll:
We don't need Russia as an enemy again, especially right now.
We need to butt out, stop fomenting revolutions, regime changes & proxy wars in the former USSR.
China is the threat we should be focused on.
Let EUrope take the lead in dealing with their neighbor & picking up the tab.
Last edited by old salt on Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:20 am
We need to butt out, stop fomenting revolutions & regime changes in the former USSR.
Let EUrope take the lead in dealing with their neighbor. & picking up the tab.
Got it.
Focus on the yellow communists, not the white christian nationalists.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:25 am
We need to butt out, stop fomenting revolutions, regime changes & proxy wars in the former USSR.
Got it.
Focus on the real threat.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:27 am
Got it.
walk and chew gum.
Putin's Russia is committing war crimes in real time...our response to that is sending a powerful message to China as well.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Good strategy in the 1930s. Led to a lot of new innovation and some population reduction as I recall.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just so we’re clear Japans fiscal and monetary policy has been a disaster for 40yrs. Some of the worst in the world. The key difference is they played ball with capitalism and democracy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:53 pm

No fortunate son?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:27 am
old salt wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:27 am
Got it.
walk and chew gum.
Putin's Russia is committing war crimes in real time...our response to that is sending a powerful message to China as well.
A tactical person wouldn’t be capable of the two at the same time. Requires a strategic mind. You see the trend.

Return to “POLITICS”