American Educational System

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: American Educational System

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:50 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:36 am Crazy times. "Don't Tread on me" is a bad thing in school. https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1 ... 06483?s=20
There are multiple stories showing that over the past decade it's been appropriated by white supremacists. I'd like to think it's unlikely this kid's parents know this. Misunderstanding makes sense here.
Do you disagree with the boards decision below to allow the student to keep his patch on his bookbag. Or are you convinced he should not b/c small percentage of people have appropriated this symbol with white supremacists.

After going viral, Colorado Springs school says student can display Gadsden flag From the Gazette:

“From Vanguard’s founding we have proudly supported our Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the ordered liberty that all Americans have enjoyed for almost 250 years. The Vanguard School recognizes the historical significance of the Gadsden flag and its place in history. This incident is an occasion for us to reaffirm our deep commitment to a classical education in support of these American principles,” the board wrote in an email to Vanguard families.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:43 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:36 am Crazy times. "Don't Tread on me" is a bad thing in school. https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1 ... 06483?s=20
There are multiple stories showing that over the past decade it's been appropriated by white supremacists. I'd like to think it's unlikely this kid's parents know this. Misunderstanding makes sense here.
Do you disagree with the boards decision below to allow the student to keep his patch on his bookbag. Or are you convinced he should not b/c small percentage of people have appropriated this symbol with white supremacists.

After going viral, Colorado Springs school says student can display Gadsden flag From the Gazette:

“From Vanguard’s founding we have proudly supported our Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the ordered liberty that all Americans have enjoyed for almost 250 years. The Vanguard School recognizes the historical significance of the Gadsden flag and its place in history. This incident is an occasion for us to reaffirm our deep commitment to a classical education in support of these American principles,” the board wrote in an email to Vanguard families.
No problem with the kid and the patch on his bag. That said, school should be presenting the historical context of the flag to its students as they indicate.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Charter schools. :roll:
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:43 am
I don't disagree with either position. It's a judgement call. And someone has to make the call. All I was saying is that it's not unlikely that the parent has no clue what that thing has been associated with of late. And obviously, the parents believe in big government, or they wouldn't send their kid to a public school.

To me, if I'm the parent-----do I believe so strongly in this patch that I'm willing to keep the thing on?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:45 pm And obviously, the parents believe in big government, or they wouldn't send their kid to a public school.
Help me understand your statement here.....when I read it, it sounds like an elitists statement, but I doubt that coming from you, help?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:52 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:45 pm And obviously, the parents believe in big government, or they wouldn't send their kid to a public school.
Help me understand your statement here.....when I read it, it sounds like an elitists statement, but I doubt that coming from you, help?
See? Now I'm the one who's being unclear here. No harm, no foul....and I won't yell at you for coming up with your bad interpretation.... "elitist" has nothing to do with my point. It's my fault that I was unclear.

What I meant in that statement was: that symbol/flag has been used for DECADES by libertarians. So I'm asking: is this symbol THAT important to this kid's parent to fight for it, since it's sending their kid to a big government public school. A serious libertarian would homeschool...so does the parent care all that much about the patch?

In other words, if I'm that parent, I'd pull the patch off because I just don't care about it.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:46 pm
See? Now I'm the one who's being unclear here. No harm, no foul....and I won't yell at you for coming up with your bad interpretation.... "elitist" has nothing to do with my point. It's my fault that I was unclear.

What I meant in that statement was: that symbol/flag has been used for DECADES by libertarians. So I'm asking: is this symbol THAT important to this kid's parent to fight for it, since it's sending their kid to a big government public school. A serious libertarian would homeschool...so does the parent care all that much about the patch?

In other words, if I'm that parent, I'd pull the patch off because I just don't care about it.
It's not worth the fight. Maybe dad has it as a tatoo from his years in the military, maybe dad has that flag in the garage and kid likes it, maybe his grandfather gave it to him and reminds him of his dad, maybe, maybe, maybe.....we don't friggen now. Or maybe its just for general principle and a lesson is learned here by all. Why do you think the kid and his parents have to concede....why do you stand on the side of 'big government ;) :o ?
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:37 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:46 pm

It's not worth the fight. Maybe dad has it as a tatoo from his years in the military, maybe dad has that flag in the garage and kid likes it, maybe his grandfather gave it to him and reminds him of his dad, maybe, maybe, maybe.....we don't friggen now. Or maybe its just for general principle and a lesson is learned here by all. Why do you think the kid and his parents have to concede....why do you stand on the side of 'big government ;) :o ?
:lol: I don't! That's WHY I asked was: "is this THAT important to the parent?" If it is? Knock yourselves out, keep the patch. If not? Who cares, and take the patch off....as you say it's not worth a fight, or worth offending a few people.

I'm good with the School Board deciding one way or another. Have NO problem with them saying the patch was fine.

As an example? My daughter has a branded LB hoodie we made for her, and we took off the "distillers" part of the hoodies we sell.....because she's underaged. If a parent asked us not to have her wear the thing at school because of an attachment to alcohol or some other reason? I would have no problem telling her not to wear it to school. It's just not a big deal.

Sounds to me like this patch story worked out fine in the end.
DMac

Post by DMac »

a fan wrote
: "is this THAT important to the parent?"
Which one, the one who wants the patch to go to school, or the one who doesn't?
Big dilemma.
Just watched the video.
Teacher gets a F for handling of situation, should've called in a higher authority way early on. Miss Teacher was child's play for this mommy.
No brainer, the patch goes to school....not debatable, Mommy tells you why.

Very nice move with the LB hoodie, as well it should have been done.
Daughter is the envy of all, no one else has one of those.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:23 pm
a fan wrote
: "is this THAT important to the parent?"
Which one, the one who wants the patch to go to school, or the one who doesn't?
Big dilemma.
Just watched the video.
Teacher gets a F for handling of situation, should've called in a higher authority way early on. Miss Teacher was child's play for this mommy.
No brainer, the patch goes to school....not debatable, Mommy tells you why.

Very nice move with the LB hoodie, as well it should have been done.
Daughter is the envy of all, no one else has one of those.
Isn’t this situation similar to an argument about an Iron Cross and what it meant to wear it a few years ago? These symbols get misappropriated. The teacher was wrong about the Don’t Tread On Me patch.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Think I remember some rumbling about the Iron Cross.
Not at all surprising.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbol/iron-cross

I can’t remember the context but I believe it was discussed on this board.

EDIT: Found it!

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... s&start=80

Back in the Bandito / Pete Brown days….
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Living with this now. And it’s clear many in the public educational system don’t really understand technology, MIS or the concept of garbage in garbage out (GIGO) because they think flooding and plastering information is the same as communication with these tools.

I’m sure what’s next is a fat consulting industry to help “implement”technology for schools and school systems. Never mind hiring appropriate CIOs and related service members to the system.

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/02/school ... -education

School app overload haunts parents

Lindsey Bailey
Data via LearnPlatform and the U.S. Department of Education
Parents are overwhelmed by a surge of apps to keep track of their kids' education.

The big picture: The number of education apps dramatically increased during the pandemic, which forced families to transform their homes into digital classrooms.

Zoom out: The pandemic forced families and educators to adapt to a changing educational landscape.

With students sheltering in place, homes were transformed into digital classrooms.
By the numbers: Since the return to in-person instruction, the number of ed-tech products has continued to increase.

The Department of Education granted $189.5 billion in relief funds to help school districts meet the challenges of the pandemic.
92% of local education agencies used these funds to purchase hardware, software, connectivity and related tech solutions.
Yes, but: Relief funds are set to expire in September 2024. Education agencies must consider whether pre-COVID school budgets can support the tech adopted during the pandemic.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:35 pm Living with this now. And it’s clear many in the public educational system don’t really understand technology, MIS or the concept of garbage in garbage out (GIGO) because they think flooding and plastering information is the same as communication with these tools.

I’m sure what’s next is a fat consulting industry to help “implement”technology for schools and school systems. Never mind hiring appropriate CIOs and related service members to the system.

Lindsey Bailey
Parents are overwhelmed by a surge of apps to keep track of their kids' education.

The big picture: The number of education apps dramatically increased during the pandemic, which forced families to transform their homes into digital classrooms.
It's not that terrible, it's just annoying sometimes remembering which app is for what. Especially if there's nothing differentiating the app - one of our sports apps is titled "Play" with an L as an icon. Run by LeagueApps, but you wouldn't know if from the phone app. LMAO.

Our teachers are pretty good with this stuff, even the older ones. We have ~8 different apps and websites between two public schools. Two of which are bus tracking apps from the same company. And two or three apps serve similar purposes, it just depends which the teacher prefers (say Seesaw vs Classdojo). Throw in a school lunch app, transportation change form, PTA site, etc. Some of them have "plus" options that you pay for, which is ridiculous and we don't do. After school programs add another couple ways to communicate, but they aren't technically run by the school system even if they're at the school.

Sports apps are the same. We have ~10 different apps and platforms between lacrosse, swimming, gymnastics, dance, baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis, golf, etc.

I prefer email since it's easy to search exactly what you need. No need for push notifications on 20 apps. Not to mention the 20 different logins.

While it's more annoying than actually being overwhelmed, it definitely could be a bit more streamlined school-wise. At least standardize things at the school level if you can't do it across the district.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:12 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:35 pm Living with this now. And it’s clear many in the public educational system don’t really understand technology, MIS or the concept of garbage in garbage out (GIGO) because they think flooding and plastering information is the same as communication with these tools.

Lindsey Bailey

It's not that terrible, it's just annoying sometimes remembering which app is for what. Especially if there's nothing differentiating the app - one of our sports apps is titled "Play" with an L as an icon. Run by LeagueApps, but you wouldn't know if from the phone app. LMAO.

Our teachers are pretty good with this stuff, even the older ones. We have ~8 different apps and websites between two public schools. Two of which are bus tracking apps from the same company. And two or three apps serve similar purposes, it just depends which the teacher prefers (say Seesaw vs Classdojo). Throw in a school lunch app, transportation change form, PTA site, etc. Some of them have "plus" options that you pay for, which is ridiculous and we don't do. After school programs add another couple ways to communicate, but they aren't technically run by the school system even if they're at the school.

Sports apps are the same. We have ~10 different apps and platforms between lacrosse, swimming, gymnastics, dance, baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis, golf, etc.

I prefer email since it's easy to search exactly what you need. No need for push notifications on 20 apps. Not to mention the 20 different logins.

While it's more annoying than actually being overwhelmed, it definitely could be a bit more streamlined school-wise. At least standardize things at the school level if you can't do it across the district.
I think It should be districtwide. In Atlanta you have schools and individual teachers choosing applications. That’s insane. And a lot of the communications are superfluous and redundant. It’s risk shifting over looking to improve communications the way I see it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The top performing school system in the U.S.

Erica Pandey
The American schools achieving the best results for kids are run by the Pentagon.

The big picture: Last year, these schools' students outperformed every other American distract in reading and math, The New York Times' Sarah Mervosh writes.

Defense Department-run schools operate all across U.S. domestic and foreign military bases and teach 66,000 students — larger than Boston Public Schools.
By the numbers: 55% of Defense Department eighth graders were proficient in reading in 2022, compared with the national average of 29%. 41% were proficient in math, compared with the national average of 26%.

These schools also see narrower achievement gaps between white students and Black and Hispanic students than America’s public schools.
There are a few big reasons why the Pentagon’s schools are so successful, Mervosh notes.

They are well-funded, with well-stocked classrooms, including books and art supplies. Many public school teachers have to pay out-of-pocket for supplies.
They're integrated. Unlike Pentagon schools, public schools are often divided along socio-economic and racial lines with unequal funding, which widens achievement gaps along both racial and economic lines. There's a $23 billion funding gap between districts serving mostly white students and districts serving mostly students of color.
Their teachers are well paid. The Pentagon's budget allows schools to spend more money per student and pay teachers more, which helps retain teachers, The Times reports.
Students' homes are stable. With at least one parents working for the military, families get access to housing and health care on the base. When parents and kids around worried about basic needs being met, it's easier for students to focus on learning.
The bottom line: Pentagon schools have their flaws like all schools, but their success demonstrates the kinds of changes that might help students in public schools succeed.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:22 am Students' homes are stable....
I am willing to bet and did not see it noted, that the parents are also engaged with their children, to include their education.

I've noted earlier, when in South Korea, all the people I spoke with stationed there wanted to stay as long as possible to raise their family; for the reason you noted....and the safety and extremely low crime.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:55 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:22 am Students' homes are stable....
I am willing to bet and did not see it noted, that the parents are also engaged with their children, to include their education.

I've noted earlier, when in South Korea, all the people I spoke with stationed there wanted to stay as long as possible to raise their family; for the reason you noted....and the safety and extremely low crime.
Some do some don’t Id expect. I’m sure you’ve met both good and bad parents who are service members.

But I would also include engagement is a part of stability for a child.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Not real, for those who might be Cradle

https://www.theonion.com/shop-class-in- ... YEHW3d9suU

Shop Class In Rich School District Just Teaches Students How To Deal With General Contractors
PublishedNovember 29, 2018
We may earn a commission from links on this page.
Image for article titled Shop Class In Rich School District Just Teaches Students How To Deal With General Contractors
SCARSDALE, NY—Touting the ordinarily trade-school course as an opportunity for students to learn practical life skills, administrators of the Scarsdale Public School District confirmed Thursday that their curriculum’s shop class teaches students how to deal with general contractors. “We’re happy to equip these kids with real-world skills, such as how to repair cabinets, fixtures, and shelving units by calling up local contractors and negotiating with them for the best rates,” said shop teacher George Sachs, adding that coursework would also cover popular music history in order to help students reference working-class bands such as Creedence Clearwater Revival and Lynyrd Skynyrd in casual conversation. “Our class runs the gamut from leaning on your marble counter while a handyman repairs your garbage disposal to figuring out how much to tip based on how nice the proletarian keeps his truck. We even cover workplace etiquette, like the importance of offering your maintenance drone a glass of sparkling water.” Sachs added that he was “humbled” by the opportunity to provide a service for those less fortunate students who had no personal assistant to handle dealing with contractors.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Those darned inner city live and menacing children who don’t share my skin tone!

*for the record APS has had many problems including a teacher cheating scandal post No Child Left Behind that almost led to the state taking over the system (teachers were changing answers on the universal standardized tests broadly, before I got down here but late 2000s).

I’m in the midtown cluster personally and that and North Atlanta are probably the two best in the system.

https://apstoday.us/2023/10/10/aps-clas ... tion-rate/

APS Class of 2023 Achieved All-Time High Graduation Rate

Thomas Scott10 Oct 2023
by Thomas Scott 10 Oct 2023
Atlanta Public Schools is celebrating the graduating Class of 2023, which raised the bar and achieved the district’s all-time highest graduation rate.

That’s right! APS achieved an 86.6 percent graduation rate for cohort 2023, according to graduation data released today by the Georgia Department of Education. By achieving its all-time high graduation rate, APS also exceeded the state graduation rate of 84.4 percent by 2.2 percentage points.

“I am incredibly proud of the graduating Class of 2023,” APS Interim Superintendent Dr. Danielle Battle said. “We are simply elated to celebrate another historic accomplishment! Our students and staff have worked extremely hard to increase our graduation rate and for our results to surpass the state average is truly a testament to the tremendous efforts of everyone in Atlanta Public Schools. We plan to continue building on this momentum by amplifying the work we’re currently doing.”

A total of 2,812 students graduated on-time from APS in 2023. The percentage of students who graduated in 2023 is the highest recorded since 2012, when the state adopted the cohort graduation rate as required by federal law. This is an increase of 121 graduates from 2022. The class of 2023 included 3,247 students, 44 larger than the 2022 cohort. See Figure 1.

Reaching the district’s highest graduation rate culminates four years of hard work for this class. This historic class also completed half of its high school career during a pandemic, which shows that our students, schools, and staff can achieve strong outcomes even amid adversity.

Let’s look at our schools.

Of the 16 schools with graduating classes, 11 achieved percentage-point gains compared to 2022. Douglass High School led the way with the largest increase from a traditional high school and achieved a 7.2-percentage-point gain. Other traditional schools achieving gains include Mays (+5.7), Midtown (+4.9), North Atlanta (+4.5), Atlanta Classical (+3.9), South Atlanta (+3.3), Carver STEAM (+2.1), Carver Early (+1.4), KIPP Collegiate (+0.9), Jackson High School (+0.4). See Figure 2

In addition, eight schools had graduation rates greater than 90%: Atlanta Classical Academy (100%), Coretta Scott King Young Women’s Leadership Academy (100%), Drew Secondary (98.4%), North Atlanta (94.2%), BEST (93.8%), Carver Early (93.1%), KIPP Collegiate (93.0%), and Midtown (91.3%).

With APS reaching higher numbers of total students graduating, the district must take a harder look at improving these numbers across our diverse demographics.

Let’s take a look at some other results from the latest graduation rates:
• Graduation rates for Black students (84.7%) reached an all-time high with the 2023 cohort, while the rate for Hispanic students (82.3%) and White students (96.7%) were higher than the cohort 2022 rates. See Figure 3.
• Nearly 12 percentage points separated the graduation rates of Black students and White students. This is one percentage point lower than the cohort 2022 difference.
• Graduation rates for students with disabilities (76.2%) reached an all-time high with a four-percentage point increase over 2022.
• The 2023 graduation rate for English learners (65.7%) was lower than the 2022 graduation rate of 76.1%, a difference of 10.4 percentage points.
• Graduation rates for Economically Disadvantaged students (82.8%) reached an all-time high with a 2.5 percentage point increase over 2022.

“We recognize that gaps in achievement persist among our students, so we are continuing to implement strategies for increasing achievement across all student groups,” Dr. Battle said. “These strategies include cultivating a district of readers, shifting resources toward the classroom, operating with openness and collaboration, empowering our educators, and making a personal commitment to excellence. This formula, in conjunction with the availability of ongoing wraparound services, will not only increase student achievement but will benefit the whole child and will allow more to cross the finish line.”

Together, our entire team is responsible for these record-setting gains! Thank you for your ongoing commitment to Atlanta Public Schools.

Note: Adjusted Cohort Graduation Rate
Georgia has calculated an adjusted cohort graduation rate as required by federal law since 2012, and this calculation has not changed over this period. APS only reports the official state graduation rate. The four-year adjusted cohort graduation rate is the number of students who graduate in four years with a regular high school diploma divided by the number of students who form the adjusted cohort for the graduating class. From the beginning of ninth grade, students who are entering that grade for the first time form a cohort that is subsequently “adjusted” by adding any students who transfer into the cohort during the next four years and subtracting any students who transfer out. Students who drop out remain in the four-year adjusted cohort.

Return to “POLITICS”