NFL

General Chatter
Farfromgeneva

Re: NFL

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:22 am I agree the Sanders play would’ve been a catch in the old days. But it’s not a catch under today’s rules.

What everybody seems to be overlooking is that the defensive holding occurred at about the line of scrimmage or maybe one yard off it. The defender is allowed to restrict the receiver at that point by putting his arm around him. Completely legal. It was a horrendous call.

So let’s say the call wasn’t made. The Chiefs have fourth and eight with 1:48 left. Chip shot field goal. Give them that. The Eagles get the ball back with, say, 1:40 and one time out. What would’ve happened? That’s unknowable, but I would like to have seen the game played out to its natural conclusion.

Having said all that, what is most distressing to me is that the Eagles were the better team and should have been able to beat the Chiefs. But they were not the better team today. The team that played better today won the game. The Chiefs coaches really outcoached the Eagles coaches. We here in Philadelphia have a long history of experience with Andy Reid’s bad coaching decisions. Well, he sure didn’t make many today.

The Eagles defensive line was supposed to be able to get pressure on Mahomes. They didn’t. They couldn’t stop the run.

On special teams, the newly reactivated kicker kicks a line drive punt that the special teams allow the returner to get back to the 5 yard line.

Quez Watkins drops a pass that would’ve been a touchdown or close to it.

In a close game in any sport, the losing team can almost always point to any number of things that had they gone the other way, they might’ve won the game.

The Eagles had a 10 point lead at halftime. On the Eagles post game show, one of the guys said teams with leads of 10 points or more in the Super Bowl are 26–1. The exception, until tonight, was the Pats come back against the Falcons.

I’m sick about the loss because all of the stars supposedly were aligned in our favor. But it didn’t happen. Such is life. We certainly had a lot of chances even putting aside the holding call at the end of the game.
There was a brief Jersey grab before the arm around the body which drove the call. It was enough of a grab of the jersey though in the replays they fixated on the arm around the waist. Better to be a no call but it’s the rule as much as a third step was required for something to be a “football play” on the catch and fumble. Don’t forget the chiefs hitting the left crossbar on a FG in the first half.

Good game. I think I like the Pats - Eagles and the Steelers-Cards from a few years back and the latter being end of 2000s or early last decade better. Hitting was intense though which is my speed. They kept the ball away from KC a lot in the first half which was smart, Mahomes is ridiculous. Even when Tampa beat them a few years back the dude was making passes while flying sideways the way a hero shoots bad guys in an action movie. If he stays healthy he should be the generational QB successor to Brady/Manning/Rodgers. Maybe Kingsbury will get forded in Arizona as folks realize he is a complete doughnut who held Mahomes back rather than developed him at Texas Tech.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
njbill

Post by njbill »

Believe me, I have watched the play 1000 times already with all available replay angles. He had his hand on the jersey, which he is allowed to do. It did not turn the player around as you sometimes see. There was no illegal grab of his jersey. Greg Olsen was as exercised about the call as I have ever heard him. Again, people are blowing past the fact that this was within the 5 yard bump and run zone. The contact that occurred would’ve been a foul if it had been more than 5 yards down field.

It was probably the only really bad officiating call in the game. All of the other penalties on the Eagles were correct calls: delay of game, illegal hand to the face, false start, offsides.

Would the Eagles have won the game if this horrible call had not been made? Impossible to say, but when a bad call like this is made less than two minutes before the game is over, you can draw a straighter line between the call and the possible outcome of the game.

Yes, the Chiefs did miss a field goal. That was a break that went the Eagles way. Watkins dropped a likely touchdown pass. The Sanders play was a break that went in favor of the Eagles. The Hurts’ fumble and resultant scoop and score was a huge break for the Chiefs. One of the close calls on the pass receptions went in favor of the Eagles (Goedert), the other in favor of the Chiefs (Smith). But in all those cases, the team that was on the short end of the stick had a chance to recover from the break that didn’t go their way. Not so with the holding call with less than two minutes to go.

But that isn’t what sickens me the most. It’s the fact that the Eagles were the better team, but lost the game. Sometimes that happens in sports. 15 years ago the Patriots, who were the better team, lost to the Giants. Boston still hasn’t gotten over that one, understandably so.

The Eagles were supposed to have this great pass rush. Where was it yesterday? Where was Reddick? What is it that we learn every year in the playoffs: the most important thing in football (after having a top-notch quarterback) is getting pressure on the opposing quarterback. We really thought the defensive line the Eagles had put together this year was ideal for that.

In Philadelphia, we are very used to the fact that Andy Reid would lose games he should’ve won. We kind of expected the same thing from him yesterday. But he really outcoached the Eagles defensive coordinator. Of course, Mahomes was a huge factor. The guy is undeniably a great player, but Reid’s play design and play calling played a significant role. He adjusted. The Eagles did not, or at least the adjustments they made (switching sides for Reddick and Sweat, for example) didn’t work.

The Eagles allowed touchdowns on the SAME PLAY twice in a row. How in the world can you do that?

Much more important than the bad holding call was the fact that the Eagles never stopped the Chiefs in the second half. They blew a 10 point half time lead which had only happened once in 27 times in Super Bowl history. Most significantly, they couldn’t stop the Chiefs on their last possession.

Is this as bad as the Phillies in 1964? No, but it will go down in Philadelphia sports history as a dark, dark day, not primarily because of the bad call, but because the Eagles were the better team, but lost the game.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Turnover by eagles for TD was the dagger, IMO. You can survive TO's without points quite easily, but when points are gained, it is just a gut punch.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:44 am Believe me, I have watched the play 1000 times already with all available replay angles. He had his hand on the jersey, which he is allowed to do. It did not turn the player around as you sometimes see. There was no illegal grab of his jersey. Greg Olsen was as exercised about the call as I have ever heard him. Again, people are blowing past the fact that this was within the 5 yard bump and run zone. The contact that occurred would’ve been a foul if it had been more than 5 yards down field.

It was probably the only really bad officiating call in the game. All of the other penalties on the Eagles were correct calls: delay of game, illegal hand to the face, false start, offsides.

Would the Eagles have won the game if this horrible call had not been made? Impossible to say, but when a bad call like this is made less than two minutes before the game is over, you can draw a straighter line between the call and the possible outcome of the game.

Yes, the Chiefs did miss a field goal. That was a break that went the Eagles way. Watkins dropped a likely touchdown pass. The Sanders play was a break that went in favor of the Eagles. The Hurts’ fumble and resultant scoop and score was a huge break for the Chiefs. One of the close calls on the pass receptions went in favor of the Eagles (Goedert), the other in favor of the Chiefs (Smith). But in all those cases, the team that was on the short end of the stick had a chance to recover from the break that didn’t go their way. Not so with the holding call with less than two minutes to go.

But that isn’t what sickens me the most. It’s the fact that the Eagles were the better team, but lost the game. Sometimes that happens in sports. 15 years ago the Patriots, who were the better team, lost to the Giants. Boston still hasn’t gotten over that one, understandably so.

The Eagles were supposed to have this great pass rush. Where was it yesterday? Where was Reddick? What is it that we learn every year in the playoffs: the most important thing in football (after having a top-notch quarterback) is getting pressure on the opposing quarterback. We really thought the defensive line the Eagles had put together this year was ideal for that.

In Philadelphia, we are very used to the fact that Andy Reid would lose games he should’ve won. We kind of expected the same thing from him yesterday. But he really outcoached the Eagles defensive coordinator. Of course, Mahomes was a huge factor. The guy is undeniably a great player, but Reid’s play design and play calling played a significant role. He adjusted. The Eagles did not, or at least the adjustments they made (switching sides for Reddick and Sweat, for example) didn’t work.

The Eagles allowed touchdowns on the SAME PLAY twice in a row. How in the world can you do that?

Much more important than the bad holding call was the fact that the Eagles never stopped the Chiefs in the second half. They blew a 10 point half time lead which had only happened once in 27 times in Super Bowl history. Most significantly, they couldn’t stop the Chiefs on their last possession.

Is this as bad as the Phillies in 1964? No, but it will go down in Philadelphia sports history as a dark, dark day, not primarily because of the bad call, but because the Eagles were the better team, but lost the game.
Bradberry admitted it. Not much else to debate when the player who was called for it acknowledged he did it. I saw the grasp of jersey as well but for whatever reason the film crew kept showing the arm wrapped around the waist after. Restraining is hands shoving chest, grabbing a jersey is small time but technically against the rules and the Eagle acknowledged it himself. You also can’t bump once the ball is released by the QB even inside of 5 yards. Call in the Rams SB was worse. And the whole “need a third step to end a football move is something created by guys who never played at any higher level-the second fumble recovery was a fumble.

And it was well inside the 20. The eagles lost the game when they let the chiefs get the ball back after scoring so quickly. Call doesn’t matter but when the player caller admits it…60 min game no straight lines.

Chiefs came back from a 10pt deficit in their prior SB win a few years back BTW. They were down by 10 in Q3z.

Eagles probably were the better overall team but Mahomes is a rock star beyond any other player on either side of the field for either team. Sometimes one transcendent player is the difference. His rush on a gimp ankle late was just impressive.

For what it’s worth I’m a bears fan so feel pain for teams that lose but the Chiefs earned the win.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:52 am Turnover by eagles for TD was the dagger, IMO. You can survive TO's without points quite easily, but when points are gained, it is just a gut punch.
The momentum change of that play was more than the pure score. Eagles are moving with impunity and stopping the chiefs after the missed FG and that play just flipped all the Mo.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:44 am Believe me, I have watched the play 1000 times already with all available replay angles. He had his hand on the jersey, which he is allowed to do. It did not turn the player around as you sometimes see. There was no illegal grab of his jersey. Greg Olsen was as exercised about the call as I have ever heard him. Again, people are blowing past the fact that this was within the 5 yard bump and run zone. The contact that occurred would’ve been a foul if it had been more than 5 yards down field.

Sorry, Bill. Bradberry just another gift from your friends in East Rutherford NJ. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess all that grease on the lightpoles went for naught and the Empire State Building lit up in Yellow and Red.

As they used to say in Brooklyn....Wait till NEXT year!!!! :lol: :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Right what I was trying to convey and the very first replay during the game showed it but then immediately shifted to the other arm wrapped
Around the waist as if that was what drove the call but it was the Jersey grab.
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote
I agree the Sanders play would’ve been a catch in the old days. But it’s not a catch under today’s rules.
Yes, a catch in the old days because it was, and is, a catch. Officiating football in super slo mo and freeze frame is garbage, I hate it.
The "incomplete pass" was a catch a fumble too. He clearly caught the ball, had control of it, got hit and fumbled it. Super slo mo and freeze frame along with the NFL's idea of what is and isn't a catch is the only reason that's an incomplete pass.
The holding call is a bush league garbage call and it does indeed change things big time at that point in the game. Yup, he grabbed the jersey very briefly early in the play which happens pretty darn regularly and isn't called, and the left hand on the receiver was a complete non issue. None of this had any effect on the receiver's ability to catch the ball. That wouldn't have happened if the receiver had been untouched the whole play, the pass was way off the mark. It's a garbage call in my book.
Good performance by both teams and both QBs.
This performance was phenomenal too. No one else out there can do it like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFKXJ091Ed4
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:25 am
njbill wrote
I agree the Sanders play would’ve been a catch in the old days. But it’s not a catch under today’s rules.
Yes, a catch in the old days because it was, and is, a catch. Officiating football in super slo mo and freeze frame is garbage, I hate it.
The "incomplete pass" was a catch a fumble too. He clearly caught the ball, had control of it, got hit and fumbled it. Super slo mo and freeze frame along with the NFL's idea of what is and isn't a catch is the only reason that's an incomplete pass.
The holding call is a bush league garbage call and it does indeed change things big time at that point in the game. Yup, he grabbed the jersey very briefly early in the play which happens pretty darn regularly and isn't called, and the left hand on the receiver was a complete non issue. None of this had any effect on the receiver's ability to catch the ball. That wouldn't have happened if the receiver had been untouched the whole play, the pass was way off the mark. It's a garbage call in my book.
Good performance by both teams and both QBs.
This performance was phenomenal too. No one else out there can do it like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFKXJ091Ed4
I didn’t like the d hold call but if the catch/fumble recovery is overturned by some technical nonsense then I can’t complain about a real time actual violation of technical being called. Similar call prior year as well so at least they are consistent on that YOY.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:57 am Bradberry admitted it. Not much else to debate when the player who was called for it acknowledged he did it. I saw the grasp of jersey as well but for whatever reason the film crew kept showing the arm wrapped around the waist after. Restraining is hands shoving chest, grabbing a jersey is small time but technically against the rules and the Eagle acknowledged it himself. You also can’t bump once the ball is released by the QB even inside of 5 yards. Call in the Rams SB was worse. And the whole “need a third step to end a football move is something created by guys who never played at any higher level-the second fumble recovery was a fumble.

And it was well inside the 20. The eagles lost the game when they let the chiefs get the ball back after scoring so quickly. Call doesn’t matter but when the player caller admits it…60 min game no straight lines.

Chiefs came back from a 10pt deficit in their prior SB win a few years back BTW. They were down by 10 in Q3z.

Eagles probably were the better overall team but Mahomes is a rock star beyond any other player on either side of the field for either team. Sometimes one transcendent player is the difference. His rush on a gimp ankle late was just impressive.

For what it’s worth I’m a bears fan so feel pain for teams that lose but the Chiefs earned the win.
Yes, I am aware of the statement by Bradbury. He is of course a material witness, but that isn't dispositive. Doesn't change my opinion one iota though. Hand on the jersey is not an illegal "grab" constituting a penalty. As I said, I have seen all the replays and all the angles many, many times. Contact was before the ball was in the air so DPI was not relevant. The ref didn't throw the flag right away, which seems odd if there really was actionable holding. But maybe the ref's reaction was just slow.

Don't disagree about the third step in the old days, but that's the rule today, plain and simple. In the old days, the Smith play was a catch. Not yesterday. Rules change. What has happened is that lots of what has appeared to the naked eye to be "catches" really aren't catches when you look at them closely. Indisputably. Look at the Smith catch in the 49ers game. Looked like a good catch live but on replay the ball hit the ground. Even in the old days, if the ball hit the ground it wasn't a catch. You just didn't see it sometimes.

Not sure what you mean about the 20 yard line. I don't anyone disputes where the play occurred.

Absolutely agree the Eagles defense lost the game, and of course the game is 60 minutes long, but you certainly can draw a straight line between the call and the end of the game. Nothing else happened to "break" the line. The call was at 1:48 which effectively became 8 seconds. Of course there is a direct correlation between the call and the Eagles not having a realistic chance to recover. That's not to say -- as I have said multiple times -- that had the call not been made, the Eagles would have won the game. We will never know.

Chiefs/49ers were tied at 10 at the half. The point was about halftime leads, not second half double digit deficits. 26-1.

Agree Mahomes is great and that he made the difference and that the Chiefs deserved to win based on how the teams played yesterday. Doesn't change my opinion about the bad call one bit. Let the game play out to its natural conclusion.
njbill

Post by njbill »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:52 am Turnover by eagles for TD was the dagger, IMO. You can survive TO's without points quite easily, but when points are gained, it is just a gut punch.
It certainly hurt, but it was early in the game and the Birds had a ten point lead after that.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:58 am
The momentum change of that play was more than the pure score. Eagles are moving with impunity and stopping the chiefs after the missed FG and that play just flipped all the Mo.
At the time, yes, but after that the Eagles still got a 10 lead which they gave up in the second half.

To my thinking, TOs were going to be a wild card in the game. KC got one, a big one. Eagles got none.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Kismet wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:04 am Sorry, Bill. Bradberry just another gift from your friends in East Rutherford NJ. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess all that grease on the lightpoles went for naught and the Empire State Building lit up in Yellow and Red.

As they used to say in Brooklyn....Wait till NEXT year!!!! :lol: :lol:
Maybe the Gints knew what they were doing after all. :lol: It's become clear in Eagleland that he's a good zone corner but a subpar man to man defender. Good guy, valuable contributor to the team this year, but I won't be sorry to see him go. I'd much rather resign CJGJ. Younger, more versatile, better coverage skills.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:11 am
At the time, yes, but after that the Eagles still got a 10 lead which they gave up in the second half.

To my thinking, TOs were going to be a wild card in the game. KC got one, a big one. Eagles got none.
As a Falcons fan, I can tell you the pain will subside...we blew the largest lead in history. :oops:
~Livy
njbill

Post by njbill »

Good pic of the jersey grab by Chiefs no. 52. :lol:

Yes, I've seen all the pics and and the replays. Not a penalty pure and simple.
njbill

Post by njbill »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:16 am

As a Falcons fan, I can tell you the pain will subside...we blew the largest lead in history. :oops:
Yeah, that one was God-awful painful. I was rooting for the Falcons. Matty Ice is a Philly boy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:06 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:57 am Bradberry admitted it. Not much else to debate when the player who was called for it acknowledged he did it. I saw the grasp of jersey as well but for whatever reason the film crew kept showing the arm wrapped around the waist after. Restraining is hands shoving chest, grabbing a jersey is small time but technically against the rules and the Eagle acknowledged it himself. You also can’t bump once the ball is released by the QB even inside of 5 yards. Call in the Rams SB was worse. And the whole “need a third step to end a football move is something created by guys who never played at any higher level-the second fumble recovery was a fumble.

Yes, I am aware of the statement by Bradbury. He is of course a material witness, but that isn't dispositive. Doesn't change my opinion one iota though. Hand on the jersey is not an illegal "grab" constituting a penalty. As I said, I have seen all the replays and all the angles many, many times. Contact was before the ball was in the air so DPI was not relevant. The ref didn't throw the flag right away, which seems odd if there really was actionable holding. But maybe the ref's reaction was just slow.

Don't disagree about the third step in the old days, but that's the rule today, plain and simple. In the old days, the Smith play was a catch. Not yesterday. Rules change. What has happened is that lots of what has appeared to the naked eye to be "catches" really aren't catches when you look at them closely. Indisputably. Look at the Smith catch in the 49ers game. Looked like a good catch live but on replay the ball hit the ground. Even in the old days, if the ball hit the ground it wasn't a catch. You just didn't see it sometimes.

Not sure what you mean about the 20 yard line. I don't anyone disputes where the play occurred.

Absolutely agree the Eagles defense lost the game, and of course the game is 60 minutes long, but you certainly can draw a straight line between the call and the end of the game. Nothing else happened to "break" the line. The call was at 1:48 which effectively became 8 seconds. Of course there is a direct correlation between the call and the Eagles not having a realistic chance to recover. That's not to say -- as I have said multiple times -- that had the call not been made, the Eagles would have won the game. We will never know.

Chiefs/49ers were tied at 10 at the half. The point was about halftime leads, not second half double digit deficits. 26-1.

Agree Mahomes is great and that he made the difference and that the Chiefs deserved to win based on how the teams played yesterday. Doesn't change my opinion about the bad call one bit. Let the game play out to its natural conclusion.
He grabbed the jersey and pulled it in a different direction than the body. It's clear from video and illegal. I like your attempt to work the court on this but it's a penatly, if small time, yet consistent with the call in the previous super bowl. Ref reactions cant be read to mean anything.

Drawing the atraight line arugment has no merit. I made the same case last year, one play at any moement in time doesn't change the rest of the game. Doesn't matter when it happens in a game, there isn't an oridinal value hierarchy to various points in time in the game - they are all equal.

Point on being at the 14 is the Eagles let them get there, to worry about a technically correct call when the team let themselves down allowing the Chiefs to get into easy FG range seems to miss that aspect.

Halftime leaves more time to come back than the 3rd quarter. Blowing a 3rd quarter (late in period) double digit lead is worse than blowing it at half.

Defining a football play in slow motion replay is different than "did the ball touch the ground" and makes replay worthless if it ends up with just another judgement call. I'm not so old that I played college football into this millenium so I'm not talking like someone who is recollecting leather helmet football here. The guy made a "football play" to anyone who played at a higher level clear as day. Seems like you want to argue technical rules on one hand and then the natural flow of the game on the other. Don't get wrapped up in those two they lost the game by not blowing the Chiefs out early when they should've. A buddy who coached w Andy Reid a long time ago and I were talking and early agreed the eagles should win going away. By allowing them to stay in the game at halftime, and 10pts with a half to play is exactly that, is how they lost the game.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:19 am
Good pic of the jersey grab by Chiefs no. 52. :lol:

Yes, I've seen all the pics and and the replays. Not a penalty pure and simple.
It really is though.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:16 am

If you recall they nearly blew a massive lead to GB in the NFC championship game so that was sad but predictable. Matt Ryan is a poor man's Patrick Ewing, without the excellent Gold Club tesitmony of course, good enough to keep the team around but not good enough to lead the team to a SB win. Paying him top 5 QB money was a massive mistake. Frankly, the fans down here slowly care less and less about the Falcons now that UGA sold its soul and institution to make the run they have.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”