OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget—Opinions, photos, highlights, news, etc.

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:22 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:17 pm OK, since you asked, why did you think that the stick held up straight was a great look? I would think that isn't a great position to cradle in a women's stick.
The photo caught my eye for its aesthetic value. I remarked on it solely for that reason. I spoke about it in general earlier in the thread here:

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=384078#p384078
OK. that's fine. That stick position isn't what I would recommend in general. If that was a face dodge, I would understand the cross face cradle with the stick in that position, but based on what I see, it doesnt look like that. More like a right handed dominant player going to her left. The vertical stick is fine within the sphere and front of body (reducing the chance for legal checks), but the ball can easily be dislodged by contact or just lack of rotational force.

So, go ahead, like it for its composition and beauty :D
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Not one glimpse of a lacrosse player or game in the whole long overhyped introduction to the ESPY’s. Not. A. One.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Waiting and waiting through all the contrived fluff and blather for the award. I don't think the ESPYS knows what it wants to be. We're like the Oscars, no we're like the Emmy's, no we're like a political gala show. I've already started so I guess I'll just keep it on in the background with the sound off till the award comes up. First and last time I'll watch this pretentious tripe.
OuttaNowhereWregget

If the espys were a gauge for which sports get the limelight and which sports get the 15 watt bulb in the basement--women's lacrosse would be relegated to the dimmest regions. The Rodney Dangerfield of sports. Not that I care in the least what others think of the sport--I love it. But as I say, if the espys were the gauge-- "I te'ya, I don't get no respect--no respect at all."
OuttaNowhereWregget

The whole of the espys summed in one glance

Couldn't miss this audience member stealing a look at her watch.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I’m done. Hittin the hay. Way too late to wait. I’ll find out in the AM.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:04 pm I’m done. Hittin the hay. Way too late to wait. I’ll find out in the AM.
they actually revealed the winner on Tuesday.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax247 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:19 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:04 pm I’m done. Hittin the hay. Way too late to wait. I’ll find out in the AM.
Thank you. Was that category (Female College Athlete) seen during the espys show last night?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Even a search on Google demonstrates the lack of respect toward women's lacrosse. They couldn't even be bothered to supply an accompanying photo of North. No respect at all, I tell ya.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Yeah--but nicknames, though....

How do nicknames for sports teams come to be?

Here is an article (bottom) on the origins of the nicknames “wahoo’s” and the shorter version “hoo’s” for the University of Virginia Cavaliers. One might think from some of the comments about nicknames on the WD1 boards that unless an elected body of university officials approves a nickname, it is a blasphemous effrontery to come up with any new ones. Such silliness. How do nicknames originate? Somebody gets an idea, speaks it or prints it, and it catches on and sticks. Now, I come up with nicknames in the same way, (as do others on these boards incidentally). Big frickin deal. I could care less if a nickname I use catches on or not. I use it because I like it. I’m sure there are plenty of other stories of how nicknames for sports team, or individuals, or countries or cities came to be. They all have an origin that began with an individual who had their own mind. That’s normal life on earth. Again folks—it’s a sport—not religion or family or loyalty to country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahoos

Oh--and in light of this part of the article of the origin of "wahoo"--my "ginny" is (or should be) far less offensive.

The yell (which the nicknames wahoo and hoo derive from) was invented as an Indian yell for Dartmouth College by Dartmouth student Daniel Rollins in 1878

I'm surprised there isn't a campaign underway (perhaps there is behind the scenes) to rid all UVA publications and language going forward of any trace of "wahoo" or "hoo" in the same way that the formerly Cleveland Indians (now Guardians) major league baseball team got rid of the Indian mascot they had who was dubbed "Chief Wahoo" years before the team changed their name.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:14 am
Thank you. Was that category (Female College Athlete) seen during the espys show last night?
Yes . Alo - softball won. I believe they were presented with award Tuesday.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax247 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:52 am
Do you remember roughly what part of the show (early, middle, later toward the end) the award was given? I'm guessing around the time the Billie Jean King gave her speech?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:00 am
Do you remember roughly what part of the show (early, middle, later toward the end) the award was given? I'm guessing around the time the Billie Jean King gave her speech?
Not every award is included in the broadcast. Women's College Athlete was not a part of the broadcast.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:44 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:00 am
Not every award is included in the broadcast. Women's College Athlete was not a part of the broadcast.
Oh, I see. Thanks, hmmm.
LaxFan2000

Re: The whole of the espys summed in one glance

Post by LaxFan2000 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:47 pm Image

Couldn't miss this audience member stealing a look at her watch.
That's no audience member, that's the gorgeous Mikaela Shiffrin! One of the best Skiers in the entire world!
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:19 am Even a search on Google demonstrates the lack of respect toward women's lacrosse. They couldn't even be bothered to supply an accompanying photo of North. No respect at all, I tell ya.

This is not a surprise. Softball is still largely more popular than women's college lacrosse. Jocelyn Alo also set the NCAA HR Career record as well. The icing on the cake as far as ESPN was concerned. Ton's and ton's of little girls in the south watch Softball over Lacrosse. Is what it is. Sucks, but it is reality unfortunately.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:50 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:19 am Even a search on Google demonstrates the lack of respect toward women's lacrosse. They couldn't even be bothered to supply an accompanying photo of North. No respect at all, I tell ya.

This is not a surprise. Softball is still largely more popular than women's college lacrosse. Jocelyn Alo also set the NCAA HR Career record as well. The icing on the cake as far as ESPN was concerned. Ton's and ton's of little girls in the south watch Softball over Lacrosse. Is what it is. Sucks, but it is reality unfortunately.
and if it wasn't softball it would have been women's basketball. Huge following and pro league after. what was crazy is they didnt invite Aliyah Boston who won just about every college award plus the NCAA championship over UCONN. Not a good look for espn.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Lax247 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:55 am

and if it wasn't softball it would have been women's basketball. Huge following and pro league after. what was crazy is they didnt invite Aliyah Boston who won just about every college award plus the NCAA championship over UCONN. Not a good look for espn.
That situation has been made out to be something it's not. None of the nominees for the award were invited originally because it wasn't a part of the broadcast. When social media went crazy about Aliyah not being invited they did invite all the nominees. Aliyah decided not to attend because she felt slighted by not being invited in the first place.

https://twitter.com/YahooSports/status/ ... 9617823744
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

hmmm wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:03 am
Lax247 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:55 am

That situation has been made out to be something it's not. None of the nominees for the award were invited originally because it wasn't a part of the broadcast. When social media went crazy about Aliyah not being invited they did invite all the nominees. Aliyah decided not to attend because she felt slighted by not being invited in the first place.

https://twitter.com/YahooSports/status/ ... 9617823744
Are you sure about that ? Because North knew she was going a few weeks ago....

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”