He’s in the stat sheet with a GB and a TO
TN911

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by TN911 »

Only saw the field in mop up time: Late 4th qtr
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

masondixonlax wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:53 pm Did Mullane not play?
Believe he only appeared in the fourth quarter. Seemed primarily to play at the X, and had a bad turnover after trying to do too much.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Let the Tewaaratan race begin,

Makar 5GB, 4CT.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:24 pm So yeah, this team is still p good.

Pros:
- Lol have fun playing this defense this year. You just can't run by any of these guys. And if you're going to hold onto the ball, they're going to send the second guy to take it away from you. Makar getting to play center field coming after guys because Zapitello can so effectively erase the opposing teams #1 option is a truly remarkable luxury. There was no drop off from the shorties albeit there will be stiffer tests from that regard (see: Princeton in a few weeks.) There's no pressure point with which to make them uncomfortable unless you've got elite, elite talent
- McNaney was completely locked in
- Transition and early offense looked terrific. I don't think there will be much of a drop-off there from last year
- Um, Erksa needs to start. I don't know where, but you get that dude on the field. He looked like a Maryland offensive player. He scored off ball, he beat his man, he passed it well. He looked like he's been playing in this offense for 3 years. More minutes wherever you can find them
- The depth is there. Erksa, Spanos, Siracusa are a clear, clear cut above the 2nd MF they ran in 2019, 2018, heck even 2017.
- Wierman was Wierman.
- Maltz looked like he spent every day the last 9 months working on his game.

Cons:
- Thought they could have been better winning some groundballs in the defensive zone in the 1st half. Richmond got a lot of 2nd and 3rd possessions off that. They were also committed to taking a lot of shots
- Clearing was rough, but it's February so of course it was. Doubt it's a long term issue, but obviously you always want it to get better as the games get a bit tougher

They're very good. again.
In person, it felt like a really strange game. It didn't have much flow. Richmond had the ball a lot, but whenever the defense broke down, either McNaney made a save or the second slide got a trail check in. McNaney played so well. Makar looked very athletic today. His footwork was sharp. Ajax just keeps playing fundamentally sound. Burlace is a physical beast. Geppert is better than a HM All-American. He looks like he's put on 10 pounds of muscle this offseason.

Richmond did some things that other teams will try. They doubled Wierman on his exits in the second half. They doubled Maryland's midfielders in the sub game instead of letting Long streak out of the box 20 seconds into the possession. That 9.5/fake 10 man ride they jumped into in the second half really caused problems.

Maryland's depth is pretty surreal. They might not have an alpha on the offense, but they have like 10 guys that just come in wave after wave. And god help any team that leaves Murphy alone in his office. He's gonna bury any 10-12 yard shot from that right point. Daniel Maltz is vastly improved with the ball in his stick. Teams won't be able to short him.

But...was Maryland that good or was UR that bad? Next week will be telling.
terp talk

Post by terp talk »

Terps 15 Richmond 4

Terp Talk Post Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StLdNrQtFDI
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Murphy is an alpha. He's got the skill, confidence and killer attitude. The main question is his durability; can his body handle being target #1 by opposing defenses all year? Murphy was overlooked on the preseason individual honors lists, which means nothing, but he seems like the kind of player that will be motivated by that.

To me, there's not much more fun to watch in the game than LSM's who can score. Holy crap, this looks like an entertaining season! That McNaney bomb to Geppert goal was absolute perfection. Geppert has had a low-key incredible career at Maryland. His tournament goal against UVA last year was an all-time highlight too. And McDonald looked like an attacker on his goal. Fun group.

SSDM's played a deep group of guys who all looked good. Only disappointment was Coffman not playing. Hopefully he will be good to go 100% at some time this year, as he was ready for an all american year before his injury.

Sloppy ball handling today, but that's normal for a February 4 game. It will be interesting to see how the offense evolves. As noted above, it was a very choppy game and I have a feeling that the Richmond defense (shorties in particular) and goalie are not really good right now.

Great first win. Just a little extra fun to watch Terps lacrosse with last year's epic season in the memory bank.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Makar was a total menace! Wearing #1 seemed to inspire him. Total defense was what many expected, totally dominant. Very easily could have been a one goal allowed game without the Md turnovers. 10 players scored goals…sounds familiar. I could hear Coach Chemonti screaming at his team during a timeout in the 2nd half. SSDM’s were Kolar, Wicks,Trader, Redd, Lacey, &Gibbons.
Maltz’s shooting is so sick. Newest Terp Onagi had a very slick shot for a goal
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

14 to 1 in the 4th quarter,
11 straight goals,

sheesh !
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

MDralphie wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:13 am Makar was a total menace! Wearing #1 seemed to inspire him. Total defense was what many expected, totally dominant. Very easily could have been a one goal allowed game without the Md turnovers. 10 players scored goals…sounds familiar. I could hear Coach Chemonti screaming at his team during a timeout in the 2nd half. SSDM’s were Kolar, Wicks,Trader, Redd, Lacey, &Gibbons.
Did any of the SSDMs get more run, or was it pretty even?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:44 pm
MDralphie wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:13 am Makar was a total menace! Wearing #1 seemed to inspire him. Total defense was what many expected, totally dominant. Very easily could have been a one goal allowed game without the Md turnovers. 10 players scored goals…sounds familiar. I could hear Coach Chemonti screaming at his team during a timeout in the 2nd half. SSDM’s were Kolar, Wicks,Trader, Redd, Lacey, &Gibbons.
Kolar seemed to be the rotation guy who would spell any of the other 4. Wicks, Lacey, and Trader seemed to me to have pretty much equal time. Redd played more than Kolar.

On another MD site, someone said that Coffman sustained a season ending injury a couple of weeks ago. Hasn't been confirmed. If true, though, gotta feel so bad for that guy.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Good week for the conference. Average margin of win was almost 9 goals. Hop's win was the smallest margin at "only" 5 goals...which isn't a close game at all. Some patsies on the schedule for next week, but Hop-GT and MD-Loyola will tell us a lot about each team. If Michigan can hang in there against UVA, that could be a good sign of improvement for the Wolves.

Jack Myers had 9 points. If he isn't considered a Tewy finalist, the whole thing is sham.

Kulas at RU had a game. He came on late last year after being injured. He looked really good yesterday. 8 points. The RU offense looks like it's going to be a bear, and they're back to running again after playing slower last season.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Wheels wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:07 pm Good week for the conference. Average margin of win was almost 9 goals. Hop's win was the smallest margin at "only" 5 goals...which isn't a close game at all. Some patsies on the schedule for next week, but Hop-GT and MD-Loyola will tell us a lot about each team. If Michigan can hang in there against UVA, that could be a good sign of improvement for the Wolves.

Jack Myers had 9 points. If he isn't considered a Tewy finalist, the whole thing is sham.

Kulas at RU had a game. He came on late last year after being injured. He looked really good yesterday. 8 points. The RU offense looks like it's going to be a bear, and they're back to running again after playing slower last season.

I am not sure you guys aren't congratulating Logan McNaney enough for yesterday. At one point the kid was at 92% save percentage; no team is beating any team if the opposing goalie saves 92%. And this was on a day when Weirman didn't exactly control the FO dot.

McNaney might be playing with a chip on his shoulder this year...
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

I noticed in yesterday’s game that a red card was issued which I haven’t seen in any game in years my memory (30+ years). Does anyone know what happened and how many minutes were assessed?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Seahawk wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:37 pm I noticed in yesterday’s game that a red card was issued which I haven’t seen in any game in years my memory (30+ years). Does anyone know what happened and how many minutes were assessed?
they actually pulled out a red card?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:53 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:44 pm
Kolar seemed to be the rotation guy who would spell any of the other 4. Wicks, Lacey, and Trader seemed to me to have pretty much equal time. Redd played more than Kolar.

On another MD site, someone said that Coffman sustained a season ending injury a couple of weeks ago. Hasn't been confirmed. If true, though, gotta feel so bad for that guy.
damn. these guys do so much dirty work. position is finally getting some much needed recognition the last couple years, but still way underappreciated. that suvks.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:41 pm
Seahawk wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:37 pm I noticed in yesterday’s game that a red card was issued which I haven’t seen in any game in years my memory (30+ years). Does anyone know what happened and how many minutes were assessed?
It was listed in the Terp stat sheet on Dennis Craven.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Seahawk wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:46 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:41 pm
It was listed in the Terp stat sheet on Dennis Craven.
Zero minutes. Terps didn't have any man up time, which is disappointing to not get a look at who they have in there and what the scheme is. Not sure what merits a red card but gets zero penalty time. Sort of ironic because Zap is the one who got the 2 minute penalty.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”