D1 Womens Lacrosse
njbill

Re: Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

Post by njbill »

Did they steal “coaching carousel” from our board? :lol:
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:58 pm We are going to have to disagree. Commenting as a former student athlete, a good COACH has to do all of the above. AND ride my ass and teach me how to be better if I can’t deliver a good trial check.
As a former men's lax player from many years back, curious to her a younger player's perspective.

Who did you have a better relationship with-- Your head coach or your coordinator?

From my experience and my eldest daughter who plays at a 2nd 20 lax program, we both had much better relationships with our coordinators. Get along well with head coach, but coordinator is the go-to, the first one to send birthday wishes, etc. The coordinators are the ones doing most tactical game planning (eg produce the 80 page scouting report) and gives the most practice feedback.
laxfan999

Post by laxfan999 »

Jaclen Moxley from Northwestern volunteer assistant to Pitt.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Liv Ghent named assistant coach at Detroit Mercy.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Carley Adams named assistant coach for Pittsburgh Panthers.

Morgan Barlow named assistant coach for Lindenwood Lions.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

:shock: kind of late for a coaching change

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... -assistant
laxfan999

Post by laxfan999 »

Kudos to whoever mentioned it a couple weeks ago on this board.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

NULax2 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:13 pm :shock: kind of late for a coaching change

kind of a BS move, She couldn't just announce this would be her last year at Sienna and leave at the end of the season. Her team is about to come back to school and she bolts on them.
OuttaNowhereWregget

whyamihere wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:28 am
NULax2 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:13 pm :shock: kind of late for a coaching change

kind of a BS move, She couldn't just announce this would be her last year at Sienna and leave at the end of the season. Her team is about to come back to school and she bolts on them.
Baffling. Brutal timing. I'm sure there are reasons that only those closest to the story are privy to. I can't pass judgment because I don't know any of the details. Got to be difficult for the players, especially the incoming new class.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cornell names Sarah McGoey Burlingame assistant coach.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

messed up. sounds like text book poaching 101. Cuse couldn't find someone and threw her an offer last minute. unprofesional from both sides.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:20 pm

messed up. sounds like text book poaching 101. Cuse couldn't find someone and threw her an offer last minute. unprofesional from both sides.
Could the timing been a bit better? Sure. Calling it "unprofessional on both sides" is a stretch. Question: if it was in the best interest of Sienna and the athletic department to fire her in March (middle of the season), would Siena do it? Of course they would. So, why then, is it wrong for her to leave in August if it is in the best interest of her, her career, her family? Siena will survive without her. Calling her unprofessional isn't cool.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:34 pm

Could the timing been a bit better? Sure. Calling it "unprofessional on both sides" is a stretch. Question: if it was in the best interest of Sienna and the athletic department to fire her in March (middle of the season), would Siena do it? Of course they would. So, why then, is it wrong for her to leave in August if it is in the best interest of her, her career, her family? Siena will survive without her. Calling her unprofessional isn't cool.

I think there could be more than meets the eye here. The fact that Siena had a very positive statement ready the day Cuse announced it and announced replacement the next day makes me think they knew about it for at least a little bit.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:22 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:34 pm

I think there could be more than meets the eye here. The fact that Siena had a very positive statement ready the day Cuse announced it and announced replacement the next day makes me think they knew about it for at least a little bit.
All parties were aware and let the proper press release flow take hold rather than spit something out quick. Re: Siena's announcement for the Head Coach as well.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I'd agree that calling the move unprofessional is way too harsh. I'd have to guess that a good spot on the Cuse coaching staff is a somewhat coveted spot. If and when that opportunity presents itself you take it, looks real good on the resume of someone looking to make a career of coaching. Would also agree that the people who are surprised by this are the ones who aren't in the know. I'd bet that this has been known for (quite) a bit too. Feels like a natural move, a Rehfuss back at Cuse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SLuelJgOHo
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

My guess is that this has been in the works since late July. You can never fault anyone in life from getting a raise. My totally uninformed thought on the raise would be 20k easy. Plus you are now an assistant and not a head coach. An increase in work life balance is not something you can put a number on.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Former Tar Heel Brooklyn Neumen named assistant coach for Jacksonville Dolphins.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

PhanLax99 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:34 am My guess is that this has been in the works since late July. You can never fault anyone in life from getting a raise. My totally uninformed thought on the raise would be 20k easy. Plus you are now an assistant and not a head coach. An increase in work life balance is not something you can put a number on.
Agree that its likely a big raise and probably much more than 20k.

Disagree re: work/life balance. Not sure how Kayla manages her assistants, but most assistants tended to work much more than head coaches, specifically on breaking down film, opponent scouting and the evaluation portion of recruiting (where you watch every video sent to you).

Maybe going to 3 low assistants will improve work/life balance some, but most D1 assistants are probably putting in 45-60 hours per week in the fall and 75-90 hours per week in-season.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:27 pm
PhanLax99 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:34 am My guess is that this has been in the works since late July. You can never fault anyone in life from getting a raise. My totally uninformed thought on the raise would be 20k easy. Plus you are now an assistant and not a head coach. An increase in work life balance is not something you can put a number on.

Disagree re: work/life balance. Not sure how Kayla manages her assistants, but most assistants tended to work much more than head coaches, specifically on breaking down film, opponent scouting and the evaluation portion of recruiting (where you watch every video sent to you).

Maybe going to 3 low assistants will improve work/life balance some, but most D1 assistants are probably putting in 45-60 hours per week in the fall and 75-90 hours per week in-season.
Does anyone have a feel for Wlax coach salaries? Like how much would a head coach salary be at a small school where sports is a low priority vs an assistant position at Syracuse?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

WLaxdad wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:43 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:27 pm

Does anyone have a feel for Wlax coach salaries? Like how much would a head coach salary be at a small school where sports is a low priority vs an assistant position at Syracuse?
Siena is a private college so it doesn't publish. But my guess would be head coach position would be $60-70k and assistants would be $35-$45k. They additionally get a cut of camp revenue.

Syracuse is a public university so its salaries are public. I don't have time to look it up, but know Gait used to make $700k for coaching the women's team and now makes $1m for coaching the men. For some reason, I think Kayla makes in the $300-400k range. I would expect Syracuse assistants to make in the low $100s.

To be clear, Syracuse is an outlier. Most power conference D1 coaches in fully funded programs make between $150-$250k with assistants usually between 80 and 100k.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”