Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
ardilla secreta

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by ardilla secreta »

Autumn is always a good time for braised veal shanks. Simmered in a vegetable stock with sprigs of thyme and rosemary. The sauce is thickened with roux, then I add carrots, shiitake and peas, finish with a knob of Irish butter. The shank is plated over creamy polenta with cheese. The wine comes from the Valle d’Aosta by Grosjean. The wine’s proprietary name is Torrette, made mostly from Petit Rouge and grown on steep hillsides in northern Italy.
7ABB3D6C-D895-463B-B546-03F2D284D0E3.jpeg
7ABB3D6C-D895-463B-B546-03F2D284D0E3.jpeg (95.12 KiB) Viewed 580 times
57E49CE2-62A5-4E8C-B77E-C63DF12BE48B.jpeg
57E49CE2-62A5-4E8C-B77E-C63DF12BE48B.jpeg (84.88 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Attachments
F0A7BA1F-49F9-4935-90B4-B55FDF4B6ACB.jpeg
F0A7BA1F-49F9-4935-90B4-B55FDF4B6ACB.jpeg (90.63 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:20 pm Autumn is always a good time for braised veal shanks. Simmered in a vegetable stock with sprigs of thyme and rosemary. The sauce is thickened with roux, then I add carrots, shiitake and peas, finish with a knob of Irish butter. The shank is plated over creamy polenta with cheese. The wine comes from the Valle d’Aosta by Grosjean. The wine’s proprietary name is Torrette, made mostly from Petit Rouge and grown on steep hillsides in northern Italy.

Looks awesome!

Tonight I had avocado-shrimp salad laced with cilantro, onions, and garlic sauce along with plantain chips. Washed it down with orange juice.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

I get a blast out of this guy, a little long winded but i like the attitude and accent. Find him entertaining, keeps things simple and is easy to follow, outstanding chef. Just made his scrambled eggs, they aint your momma's scrambled eggs, takes 'em to a whole other level, really creamy, very tasty, pretty too. Didn't have any Club Soda, will next time though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaKvTA9G0i4
Gonna make his prime rib and twice baked potatoes for Thanksgiving, forgoing the turkey this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cgtAw21MM4&t=166s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AO5xsIqpPM
Bon appetit.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thank you Jean-Pierre, crazy creamy good.
Had to do something with that extra egg white.
ardilla secreta

Nicely done. I love creamy eggs like this. Did you have any truffle oil? It’s a classic pairing with eggs. I like your use of the white.

Another approach is to whisk up the whole eggs and cream (cheese optional) and cook in a saucepan over very low heat, constantly moving with a whisk without creating any curds. This method takes about 15 minutes but the result is a super creamy cooked egg. I like to serve in a bowl and spoon it on toast. Ten times better with a touch of truffle oil.

Truffle oil: white truffle oil is more intense than black. Never cook truffle oil. Use it to finish a dish. Also goes great with pasta and butter, drizzled on French fries or roasted vegetables.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't have any truffle oil but it's on my list, still don't have any club soda (my drink of choice for refreshing and thirst quenching) either, that's on the list too.
Funny, Jean-Piere drizzles his eggs with the white truffle oil at the end. They're just scrambled eggs but all this really is a game changer. Tasty stuff.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I never used the water carbonated water trick but always use heavy cream, salt and pepper, and some shredded extra sharp cheese or freshly grated parm. My go to is to drop them on a warmed flour tortilla with come Cholula sauce, you can thank me later. :D
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Add the butter next time too, youth....and you can thank me later.
If you didn't watch the video, Jean-Pierre throws a little butter in
the eggs before cooking (butters the pan too, of course).
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:22 pm Add the butter next time too, youth....and you can thank me later.
If you didn't watch the video, Jean-Pierre throws a little butter in
the eggs before cooking (butters the pan too, of course).
I kinda already do this, just not as Jean-Pierre does. I use this pan and heavily butter it before adding in the eggs mixture. I'll give Jean-Pierrr's way a try and see if there is any other difference.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cool, let me know if you notice a difference.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Hockey season has started and I've watched a couple of games. We have a scrimmage scheduled for this Saturday which I hope to attend (you never know with these scrimmages as they often get cancelled without notice). Because of the games I was inspired to make a pineapple pie ~ one in remembrance of my goalie hero Gump Worsley. One similar to this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... g&usqp=CAU

Didn't have cherries so I topped it with pine nuts. Will cut it into squares and top it with kool whip. The smell in my kitchen is just awesome. :D
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

ardilla secreta

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:56 pm Hockey season has started and I've watched a couple of games. We have a scrimmage scheduled for this Saturday which I hope to attend (you never know with these scrimmages as they often get cancelled without notice). Because of the games I was inspired to make a pineapple pie ~ one in remembrance of my goalie hero Gump Worsley. One similar to this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... g&usqp=CAU

Didn't have cherries so I topped it with pine nuts. Will cut it into squares and top it with kool whip. The smell in my kitchen is just awesome. :D
NO NOT COOL WHIP! If you’re going to make something from scratch then make real whip cream. It only takes a few minutes to whip it up. Cold clean bowl, whisk and muscles
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:39 pm
NO NOT COOL WHIP! If you’re going to make something from scratch then make real whip cream. It only takes a few minutes to whip it up. Cold clean bowl, whisk and muscles
Yep. You are correct. But the cost of heavy cream has gone way up around here even though this is largely dairy country. Those greedy farmers are always out to make a buck. No wonder why they vote Republican.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:43 pm
Yep. You are correct. But the cost of heavy cream has gone way up around here even though this is largely dairy country. Those greedy farmers are always out to make a buck. No wonder why they vote Republican.
tell me about it. I use a splash each morning for coffee creamer and a quart is no more than a gallon of milk.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't buy milk much but you mean now more, I think, right?
Heavy cream is closing in on $5 these days (qt), crazy.

Brookie, that nice lookin' treat is going to make it to Sat???
ardilla secreta

youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:23 pm
tell me about it. I use a splash each morning for coffee creamer and a quart is no more than a gallon of milk.
Cool Whip in coffee? I can see using it to shave, but it’s hydrogenated veg oil, high fructose corn syrup and other junk. I use half n half.
Yoghurt (vanilla) is a good whipped cream alternative.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:23 pm tell me about it. I use a splash each morning for coffee creamer and a quart is no more than a gallon of milk.

Heavy cream costs no more than a quart of milk? Amazing! That's the way it should be, darn it!

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:37 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:23 pm
Cool Whip in coffee? I can see using it to shave, but it’s hydrogenated veg oil, high fructose corn syrup and other junk. I use half n half.
Yoghurt (vanilla) is a good whipped cream alternative.
No 😂😂😂 Heavy Whipping Cream.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:28 pm Don't buy milk much but you mean now more, I think, right?
Heavy cream is closing in on $5 these days (qt), crazy.

Brookie, that nice lookin' treat is going to make it to Sat???

$5+ for now. Thievery!

Not sure that tasty pie will make it for Saturday but will try to make it last. :)

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:51 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:23 pm tell me about it. I use a splash each morning for coffee creamer and a quart is noW more than a gallon of milk.

Heavy cream costs no more than a quart of milk? Amazing! That's the way it should be, darn it!
Sorry, missed a letter. 😂
~Livy

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”