Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by DMac »

I don't get it, how do you have a lefty FOGO?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:54 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:35 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:31 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:09 pm
thatsmell wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:57 pm Hate to sound like Peter, but the Hounds went from having literally just one guy on the whole team who can faceoff to having a heckuva good FOGO Corps.
Savio and Seay are solid and proven at the D1 college level. And Pacheco is highly touted coming out of CO. And the Calvert Hall kid was one of the best I saw n the MIAA last year.

Certainly promising on paper.
"hate to sound like Peter". geez.
:lol:
Anyhoo, indeed, we go from middling to actually very strong. I think this kid Pacheco will surprise.
fwiw, seay didn't take one faceoff last year. on a team that struggled at faceoff. with a starter that was out for a stretch. against middling competition.
if he's taking faceoffs, might indicate more trouble than depth.
"middling competition". Well, I guess since Bellarmine and UVA both lost to High Point by 1 goal, UVA is also 'middling'?
teams play 13-15 games per season in lacrosse.
the fact that you named one team (they played several) endorses the adjective.
strength of teams doesn't always indicate strength of faceoff groups. stereotyping. but small sample high point --- they edged duke and lost the faceoff #s to uva... combined below .500 (and still managed to win)... while having an excellent season percentage and playing in the same conference.
the point stands. his team struggled at faceoff and he didn't take any. i'm guessing loyola had some guys on their roster last year that took some faceoffs in high school. if he's a reason why you prognosticate loyola's crushing the dot next year --- i see you.

There is truly no middling team left in D1 anymore, except of course Hopkins. ;)

And fwiw, I have never posted that Seay is our answer at FOGO; in fact, I believe he is a goal scorer middie, not a FOGO. I think thatsmell said he might have some FOGO chops.

Last year, Loyola had one FOGO...I mean, really just one. I believe only one other guy took all of 2 faceoffs the entire season. This year, we not only have our grizzled veteran, Bailey Savio, whose numbers got better as the season went on, but also two freshmen, one of whom for sure can play D1 at the dot, Cottone, and the other whom I believe just might surprise a ton of folks, Pacheco.

No matter how you slice it, our FOGO #'s this year will be considerably better than last year and is but one of 6 reasons that lead me to believe that the 'experts' who think the Hounds will not fare well are in for a massive surprise. Let's go!!!!!
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:33 pm I don't get it, how do you have a lefty FOGO?
They still face off right handed...but if they push it forward for the draw they scoop it lefty...
You're adding another 3-4 ' cushion on that fast break from the guy trying to catch you from behind. It also renders Long poles less useful at slowing down a good fogo.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's the only way I could figure they'd do it, thanks.
Kinda like I play tennis, serve righty, volley lefty.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:23 pm Was Cottone the Lefty Fogo at CH last year?
yes.
thatsmell wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:19 pm Cottone was pushing 70% win percent in the MIAA last year.
His team was stacked, but he was the best I saw in the A last year.
Calvert Hall was stacked but he did much of the work on his own.
he did get his own a good bit, but also had some excellent wing play. they have a coach for everything. that said, almost 70% in that league for a couple years is getting it done.
thatsmell wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:43 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:33 pm I don't get it, how do you have a lefty FOGO?
They still face off right handed...but if they push it forward for the draw they scoop it lefty...
You're adding another 3-4 ' cushion on that fast break from the guy trying to catch you from behind. It also renders Long poles less useful at slowing down a good fogo.
lefties make for a quirky fast break, need to go flat (or have 2 lefties). cottone doesn't seem like much of a threat to go to the cage very often. at least not yet. tho maybe loyola (orefice sp? a couple years ago) can coach that up.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:21 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:23 pm Was Cottone the Lefty Fogo at CH last year?
yes.
thatsmell wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:19 pm Cottone was pushing 70% win percent in the MIAA last year.
His team was stacked, but he was the best I saw in the A last year.
Calvert Hall was stacked but he did much of the work on his own.
he did get his own a good bit, but also had some excellent wing play. they have a coach for everything. that said, almost 70% in that league for a couple years is getting it done.
thatsmell wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:43 pm
lefties make for a quirky fast break, need to go flat (or have 2 lefties). cottone doesn't seem like much of a threat to go to the cage very often. at least not yet. tho maybe loyola (orefice sp? a couple years ago) can coach that up.
The kid touts his ability to shoot, or at least his willingness to work at it:

https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-lacross ... is-cottone
I have continued my player development since then, honing my skills as a duel threat on the field, by working with legendary shooting Coach, Torre Kasemeyer, who taught Ryan Brown to shoot...
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:19 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:36 pm Ocanada said:
I can recall a LC team that went undefeated during the season and had the #1 seed playing at home. They lost. Has any other undefeated team lost a first round home playoff game? Seems many on the team were out past 2:00 AM at the Green Turtle.
Besides, you’re embellishing that one. Loyola’s awesome undefeated team in ‘99 didn’t lose a first round playoff game. It lost in the ncaa quarterfinals in Princeton, NJ to a good Syracuse and a Powell brother it beat earlier in the season. And there is no Green Turtle in Mercer Co. NJ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXdS8EHBQOE&app=desktop
Great viewing.
A real eye opener on how good that defense was.
Still bums me out to this day.
There were some VG teams in that timeframe, and that Hounds team was one I definitely tracked.
Hounds completely shut down John Grant Jr. and one of my fav Hens teams.
That Hens team was pretty good. Still see quite a few of those guys on the rec fields coaching today...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

New pro league names best faceoff guy award after Loyola graduate, Beaner:

https://stevensonvillager.com/cantabene ... re-league/
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Who the heck is running our Insta page?! We need some vids and recaps of practice.

Lowly Hop just posted two vids of Forry and a very dour Coach P.

let's get this joint rocking, social media guys! You've got talent to burn, let's see the boys dazzle with the game!
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Meanwhile, you, PB, keep flaming the old Hop fogies! Knock it off!
They already inflate their page count with mindless cat pictures etc. You don't need to ruffle their blue and gray feathers and give them more things to post about!

thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Stock down for the Hounds!

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2019/9/13 ... h-carolina

Nothing new to read here. More of the same outsider superficial takes. "Spencer gone, Stover gone, Scanan gone = Hounds unknown."

But if you're smart, like PB and the rest of us insider traders, you know: when the Hound stock is down, you buy, buy, buy!!!

:D :D :D
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

thatsmell wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:19 pm Stock down for the Hounds!

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2019/9/13 ... h-carolina

Nothing new to read here. More of the same outsider superficial takes. "Spencer gone, Stover gone, Scanan gone = Hounds unknown."

But if you're smart, like PB and the rest of us insider traders, you know: when the Hound stock is down, you buy, buy, buy!!!

:D :D :D

Fake news by Chris. The media is unreliable, people. If you're gonna write up a team, at least know the story!

And thatsmell is correct, as he often is; when everyone tells you to buy, sell, and when everyone is selling, buy. For instance, how often over the last decade has the Hopkins faithful told you that 'this is the year'? And then they get blown out by Princeton 18-7. They may not be a good case, as their stock is a potential Chapter 7, so you really should sell.

In our case, buy buy buy! Hounds gonna roll in 2020!!!!!
DMac

Post by DMac »

thatsmell wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:11 pm Meanwhile, you, PB, keep flaming the old Hop fogies! Knock it off!
They already inflate their page count with mindless cat pictures etc. You don't need to ruffle their blue and gray feathers and give them more things to post about!

Nah, from my experience the higher the page count, the more disappointing the season.
You know, need a new coach, got unathletic players, scheme sucks, wrong players on the field, AD doesn't give a schidt, meow, meow, meow.
Post count matters, post away PB, keep those Bird Heads chirping.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Loyola lacrosse alumni throw-around and alumni game will be held on 26 Sept:

https://alumni.loyola.edu/s/958/16/inte ... calcid=895
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

thatsmell wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:46 pm Loyola lacrosse alumni throw-around and alumni game will be held on 26 Sept:

https://alumni.loyola.edu/s/958/16/inte ... calcid=895
If anybody wants to go to that and scout out the 2020 team, please do and come back with notes. thatsmell maybe you should join, knock off the old rust and drop 3 goals, 4 assists.

I'd wish if Spencer and Stover could both be back for that, i'm sure the latter will be there.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

If I could drop 3g 4a I’d be playing basketball for Northwestern right now...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Probably a good time to offer WOMBAT an honorary Loyola Friend of the Program honor...I like his humour.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Gentlemen: I am hanging up my spurs trying to beat Hopkins in thread page count. I will still post, just not as regularly. I have come to the regrettable conclusion that I can not out-insane the Hopkins faithful, no matter how hard I try nor how many hours I invest into this effort. Some causes are hopeless.

When I see DocB post that he is optimistic about Petro's last year, what can one do other than stand back from the cray-cray? I do not want to be on some dude's 'list' as Hopkins dives to 3-9 this season.

As for Loyola, the vibe is as good as it has ever been. The practices are showcasing the talent and spirit that we have. We are somewhat fortunate in that the PL will be down this year; I still see Bucknell and Lehigh as the most formidable squads out there, but I am not scared (mostly because both teams are located in just god-awful towns, really as ugly as two towns in America...no kid actually wants to spend 4 years in either place; ironically that helps their lax results as the team is grateful to escape for road trips, but over the long haul, it's debilitating).

Our FOGO situation will be superb, bordering on excellent. Olmstead and Lindley will be impossible to stop. Our Defense, LSM's, and SSDN's are top-notch. Our frosh are itching to showcase their talent. Najee is the man, and you will see in him a kid with speed unmatched in D1.

We simply need the weather to cooperate this year. This is a warm weather team.

Let's get back to business. Let's roll!! ! !
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:10 am Gentlemen: I am hanging up my spurs trying to beat Hopkins in thread page count. I will still post, just not as regularly. I have come to the regrettable conclusion that I can not out-insane the Hopkins faithful, no matter how hard I try nor how many hours I invest into this effort. Some causes are hopeless.

When I see DocB post that he is optimistic about Petro's last year, what can one do other than stand back from the cray-cray? I do not want to be on some dude's 'list' as Hopkins dives to 3-9 this season.

As for Loyola, the vibe is as good as it has ever been. The practices are showcasing the talent and spirit that we have. We are somewhat fortunate in that the PL will be down this year; I still see Bucknell and Lehigh as the most formidable squads out there, but I am not scared (mostly because both teams are located in just god-awful towns, really as ugly as two towns in America...no kid actually wants to spend 4 years in either place; ironically that helps their lax results as the team is grateful to escape for road trips, but over the long haul, it's debilitating).

Our FOGO situation will be superb, bordering on excellent. Olmstead and Lindley will be impossible to stop. Our Defense, LSM's, and SSDN's are top-notch. Our frosh are itching to showcase their talent. Najee is the man, and you will see in him a kid with speed unmatched in D1.

I see PB is sold on Najee, my question is why did he leave ND, it may have been discussed prior as i have been on hiatus from thee boards. Fast does not necessary equate to a superior lacrosse player.
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:23 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:10 am Gentlemen: I am hanging up my spurs trying to beat Hopkins in thread page count. I will still post, just not as regularly. I have come to the regrettable conclusion that I can not out-insane the Hopkins faithful, no matter how hard I try nor how many hours I invest into this effort. Some causes are hopeless.

I see PB is sold on Najee, my question is why did he leave ND, it may have been discussed prior as i have been on hiatus from thee boards. Fast does not necessary equate to a superior lacrosse player.
Do not sleep on Army

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”