D1 Men Rankings

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: D1 Men Rankings

Post by wgdsr »

this is just going to seem sillier and sillier until the bottom 4 show they can beat someone in the top 2 in the league. and even by then, probably.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

It does seem a bit silly. But wait until one of them makes a run to get to 6-6 and into the finals of the Conference tournament where they will inevitably fall to Maryland.

There will be a lot of hand-wringing about a 6-7 team getting an at-large bid. But it will happen at the cost of maybe a second or third Patriot team getting in. You will see.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Henpecked wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:55 am It does seem a bit silly. But wait until one of them makes a run to get to 6-6 and into the finals of the Conference tournament where they will inevitably fall to Maryland.

There will be a lot of hand-wringing about a 6-7 team getting an at-large bid. But it will happen at the cost of maybe a second or third Patriot team getting in. You will see.
You have to be at least .500 to be eligible for the tourney so you won't have to worry about that scenario.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:02 am
Henpecked wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:55 am It does seem a bit silly. But wait until one of them makes a run to get to 6-6 and into the finals of the Conference tournament where they will inevitably fall to Maryland.

You have to be at least .500 to be eligible for the tourney so you won't have to worry about that scenario.
I have heard that the Tournament committee is going to keep all options open. So, I am not sure that rule will apply for this special season.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Henpecked wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:55 am There will be a lot of hand-wringing about a 6-7 team getting an at-large bid. But it will happen at the cost of maybe a second or third Patriot team getting in. You will see.
There seems to be a lot of present hand-wringing about theoretical future hand-wringing. The Big Ten is only getting one at-large max and it won't be a team that's below .500.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

NIKE/US LACROSSE
DIVISION I MEN’S TOP 20

MARCH 22, 2021
W/L
PREV
NEXT
1 Duke 8-0 1 3/25 vs. No. 5 Syracuse
2 Maryland 5-0 2 3/28 at No. 6 Rutgers
3 North Carolina 8-0 3 4/1 at No. 1 Duke
4 Army 3-1 5 3/27 vs. Bucknell
5 Syracuse 4-1 6 3/25 at No. 1 Duke
6 Rutgers 4-1 7 3/28 vs. No. 2 Maryland
7 Virginia 6-2 8 3/27 at No. 9 Notre Dame
8 Denver 6-2 9 3/27 at Providence
9 Notre Dame 4-0 10 3/27 vs. No. 7 Virginia
10 Georgetown 5-1 4 3/27 vs. Villanova
11 Lehigh 3-0 11 3/28 at Colgate
12 UMass 2-0 12 3/23 at Albany
13 Loyola 4-2 13 3/27 at Towson
14 Richmond 3-3 19 3/26 vs. High Point
15 Navy 2-0 17 3/27 vs. Holy Cross
16 Hofstra 3-1 18 3/26 at Fairfield
17 Ohio State 2-3 14 3/27 at Michigan
18 Johns Hopkins 2-3 15 3/28 at Penn State
19 Delaware 6-1 20 4/2 vs. Fairfield
20 Bryant 4-1 NR 3/27 at Merrimack
ALSO CONSIDERED (ALPHABETICAL ORDER): ALBANY (3-1), BOSTON UNIVERSITY (4-1), PENN STATE (1-4), STONY BROOK (4-3), UMBC (3-0), VERMONT (3-2), VILLANOVA (3-1)

So Navy and Hofstra jump up 2 spots after not playing and Richmond jumps 5 spots after win over Bellarmine, really? Georgetown falls 6 spots for a loss to Denver? Plus the Big 10 looking like a 2 team bid league unless someone 3-6 can win tournament.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:16 am

So Navy and Hofstra jump up 2 spots after not playing and Richmond jumps 5 spots after win over Bellarmine, really? Georgetown falls 6 spots for a loss to Denver? Plus the Big 10 looking like a 2 team bid league unless someone 3-6 can win tournament.
Take these rankigns with a grain of salt. Its not really who you beat. Its WHEN you lose, and who wins on those weeks.

But as far as the sniff test goes. Agree, B1G looks like a 2 team conference unless hopkins or PSU can win the rtourney. PL looks like a 3 team conference with the Ivies gone.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:16 am NIKE/US LACROSSE
DIVISION I MEN’S TOP 20

MARCH 22, 2021
W/L
PREV
NEXT
1 Duke 8-0 1 3/25 vs. No. 5 Syracuse
2 Maryland 5-0 2 3/28 at No. 6 Rutgers
3 North Carolina 8-0 3 4/1 at No. 1 Duke
4 Army 3-1 5 3/27 vs. Bucknell
5 Syracuse 4-1 6 3/25 at No. 1 Duke
6 Rutgers 4-1 7 3/28 vs. No. 2 Maryland
7 Virginia 6-2 8 3/27 at No. 9 Notre Dame
8 Denver 6-2 9 3/27 at Providence
9 Notre Dame 4-0 10 3/27 vs. No. 7 Virginia
10 Georgetown 5-1 4 3/27 vs. Villanova
11 Lehigh 3-0 11 3/28 at Colgate
12 UMass 2-0 12 3/23 at Albany
13 Loyola 4-2 13 3/27 at Towson
14 Richmond 3-3 19 3/26 vs. High Point
15 Navy 2-0 17 3/27 vs. Holy Cross
16 Hofstra 3-1 18 3/26 at Fairfield
17 Ohio State 2-3 14 3/27 at Michigan
18 Johns Hopkins 2-3 15 3/28 at Penn State
19 Delaware 6-1 20 4/2 vs. Fairfield
20 Bryant 4-1 NR 3/27 at Merrimack
ALSO CONSIDERED (ALPHABETICAL ORDER): ALBANY (3-1), BOSTON UNIVERSITY (4-1), PENN STATE (1-4), STONY BROOK (4-3), UMBC (3-0), VERMONT (3-2), VILLANOVA (3-1)

You might have missed these games. Although Hofstra lost to an unbelievably talented St. John's squad (1-4), they did beat Sacred Heart (1-7) and Wagner (0-5) by good margins. That seems like a 16th ranked team to me. :D

Just kidding. I think Hofstra is good, but they have yet to play a CAA opponent. No reason to rank them anywhere near 16 at this point after a full squad lost to St. John's at HOME. No excuses for that loss.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:16 am
Henpecked wrote: There will be a lot of hand-wringing about a 6-7 team getting an at-large bid. But it will happen at the cost of maybe a second or third Patriot team getting in. You will see.
There seems to be a lot of present hand-wringing about theoretical future hand-wringing. The Big Ten is only getting one at-large max and it won't be a team that's below .500.
yeah, well, if the chairman of the actual committee hadn't gone on record as saying that he was going to be using criteria that heretofore had been verboten, maybe that wouldn't be the case.

i'll note that by quote he didn't give any license to do that.

so fast forward and things like a coaches poll having 2 teams that probably have no business there to date, and it sure looks like that may provide cover for eye test "keep games close for several quarters" and "b1g was good in the past" = let's talk about it.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:40 am
xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:16 am

Take these rankigns with a grain of salt. Its not really who you beat. Its WHEN you lose, and who wins on those weeks.

But as far as the sniff test goes. Agree, B1G looks like a 2 team conference unless hopkins or PSU can win the rtourney. PL looks like a 3 team conference with the Ivies gone.
Agreed. Right now, I think the NCAA Tournament will look like this. But, lots of time left and if lower ranked teams win in the B1G or any other conference, it will cause other teams to be on the wrong side of the bubble. Plus, this assumes one of the ACC teams does not make it (either ND or UVA?). I am also assuming the play in game does not happen this year due to No Ivies and the desire to reduce travel and COVID risk.

1 B1G Champ
2 Big East Champ
3 Patriot Champ
4 Southern Champ
5 Northeast Champ
6 Colonial Champ
7 America East Champ
8 Metro Atlantic Champ
9 ACC At Large 1
10 ACC At Large 2
11 ACC At Large 3
12 ACC At Large 4
13 B1G At Large 1
14 Big East At Large 1
15 Patriot At Large 1
16 Patriot At Large 2
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:03 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:41 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:06 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:22 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:05 pm Drop Hop and Penn State. Hop's best win is over PSU. PSU's only win is against OSU.

I, mean, at least Hop didn't lose to Michigan.
i'm trying to figure out what it would take to drop them.
The bottom 25% of the Top 20 not being awful? I mean Navy was ranked 16th this week and they’ve played two games against Mount St. Mary’s and Jacksonville.
Jacksonville is 4-3 with their losses to UNC, Navy and Duke Which is arguably better than JHUs 2-3 w a 6 goal home loss to OSU.

Boston U
Bryant
UMBC
LIU
Jax
Stony brook
UVM
Del
Hofstra
Albany
Richmond
Villanova

All have equal or better resumes at this stage and were 5-7 games into the season. Not to mention hops 2-4 w that impressive win over MSM in 2020 and the appearance that the BigTen is as weak as it’s been since its formation this year. Very hard to keep Hop ranked with all of this unless you so love Penn St to overcome the rest with the three losses being generally uncompetitive.

They may get better but 4-6 weeks and this far in with a team that wasn’t good last year is a very tough case to justify.
Jacksonville's wins are Bellarmine, Mercer, Utah, and....Mercer again. Not exactly sure that's better than Michigan or Penn State as disappointing as those two have been.

LIU has two wins over a 1-7 Sacred Heart team. Sacred Heart's 1 win? LIU. The Hobart one was legit but uhh...not working with much there.

Richmond is basically a mid-major Hopkins. Tons of media attention, lots of love from folks in lax media, and always losing big games to these ACC schools they schedule. 2 of their 3 wins are VMI and Bellarmine.

Delaware, Vermont, Hofstra will all be ranked ahead of Hopkins come a few hours I imagine; all were already ranked in the Top 20 this week.

It's really a Top 15 at this stage of the season, and if Hopkins is one of the next 5, so be it.
I said equal or better-PSU and Mich May be better than some other opponents but I don’t believe it until I see them do something impressive. More wins that don’t have much value and less ugly losses should have them at parity consideration but you don’t even see that. If it matters more to everyone else than schools who have gotten the benefit of the doubt for their entire existence why not make that the tiebreaker? I’ve seen plenty of Hop posters do the whole “rankings don’t matter” shtick so out their money where their mouths are and have them truly prove it now like everyone else has to.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:48 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:16 am
Henpecked wrote: There will be a lot of hand-wringing about a 6-7 team getting an at-large bid. But it will happen at the cost of maybe a second or third Patriot team getting in. You will see.
yeah, well, if the chairman of the actual committee hadn't gone on record as saying that he was going to be using criteria that heretofore had been verboten, maybe that wouldn't be the case.

i'll note that by quote he didn't give any license to do that.

so fast forward and things like a coaches poll having 2 teams that probably have no business there to date, and it sure looks like that may provide cover for eye test "keep games close for several quarters" and "b1g was good in the past" = let's talk about it.
There's a giant chasm between "yeah we have be flexible this year, and sure, maybe we'll factor in the 'eye test' but we haven't figured anything out yet" to "call the police they're going to put a sub. 500 Big Ten team with no impressive wins into the NCAA tournament."

If the March 22 coaches poll is your judge of where the wind is blowing then you have nothing to worry about. Your at-large field would be 5 ACCs, 1 B1G, 1 BE, and 1 PL. Just outside would be another PL team and UMass should they not secure the CAA title. And then a tier below that, further outside what I'd constitute even being the "bubble," you'd have another PL, a SoCon, a CAA, and THEN, perhaps, a third B1G team.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Would anyone want to be the guy who
sets the precedent ?

Yes, sub-500 records allowed, Covid, you know.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Mike Bloomberg?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

What if the committee took the BigTen BB tourney performance into consideration with a 1 and 2 gone and another 2 getting blown out by Oregon?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:04 pm What if the committee took the BigTen BB tourney performance into consideration with a 1 and 2 gone and another 2 getting blown out by Oregon?
it might take penn state getting worked by michigan to keep everybody in.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well if my Jayhawks can get past Gonzaga they're looking good in this field with one of their weakest teams in the last 20yrs.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:51 pm
If the March 22 coaches poll is your judge of where the wind is blowing then you have nothing to worry about. Your at-large field would be 5 ACCs, 1 B1G, 1 BE, and 1 PL. Just outside would be another PL team and UMass should they not secure the CAA title. And then a tier below that, further outside what I'd constitute even being the "bubble," you'd have another PL, a SoCon, a CAA, and THEN, perhaps, a third B1G team.
And just how many real coaches do you think actually vote? And this year how many "coaches" give a flip outside of conference? Of all the years to discount the "coaches" poll, this is it.

Make me king for a day, this is the year I expand beyond the "regular suspects". And then backwards justify it as required.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:46 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:51 pm
And just how many real coaches do you think actually vote? And this year how many "coaches" give a flip outside of conference? Of all the years to discount the "coaches" poll, this is it.

Make me king for a day, this is the year I expand beyond the "regular suspects". And then backwards justify it as required.
Missed the point. He was saying OSU and Hop's spot in the coaches poll could provide some cover to the committee to use the eye test. My point is that neither team is currently ranked where they'd need to be in order to be considered for an at-large bid, even in the event the eye test is used. If the poll is a rough substitute for the eye test then they'd be well outside the bubble. If the tournament started today they wouldn't get in. If the poll in May is anything like it is now, they won't get in. Like I said, hand-wringing.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

So you are saying NO CHANCE that Hopkins goes on a late season run, beats Rutgers in the BIG conference semis to get to 6-6 and then takes Maryland to OT in the BIG finals - NO CHANCE that the committee puts them in over a 10-5 Army team that loses to Loyola in the semis of the Patriot league? Or over an 8-4 UMASS team that goes to the CAA finals and loses.

I am just asking for a friend.

BTW, there is no hand-wringing on my behalf. I love this stuff.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”