Coaching Carousel

D1 Womens Lacrosse
glaxer24

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by glaxer24 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:07 pm
8meterPA wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:56 pm
My question to you would be how many players from D2 or D3 schools were invited to tryout for the US team? How many D2 or D3 schools were invited or drafted for athletes unlimited teams or the other failed women's pro teams? The problem is at the top of the women's lax world and the publications and talking heads that follow them. How do you think D2 & D3 schools would be perceived if the us lax team invited those players to tryouts and actually rostered a few? Guessing it may help change that perception that you alluding to.
This is a great comment. Thank you 8meter.
Yes, great comment. There are SO many studs at the D2 and D3 level and I’ll always advocate for those athletes. Only 7% of high school athletes even go on to play in the collegiate level, so why are so many people looking down on those who choose to go the D2 or D3 route? It seems that girls commit to play D2 or D3 and are never heard of again; not because they aren’t making noise for their respective programs, but because the lax world just doesn’t care enough to make their accomplishments known. Throughout the years the Tewwy has usually included a couple nominees from both divisions on the watch list (Kole Pollock, Courtney Patterson, Steph Colson, Elizabeth Morrison, and many other talented players) but I agree that USA & the pro leagues moving forward need to do a better job of scoping out talent at all levels, because it’s certainly there.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

glaxer24 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:25 pm
My question to you would be how many players from D2 or D3 schools were invited to tryout for the US team? How many D2 or D3 schools were invited or drafted for athletes unlimited teams or the other failed women's pro teams? The problem is at the top of the women's lax world and the publications and talking heads that follow them. How do you think D2 & D3 schools would be perceived if the us lax team invited those players to tryouts and actually rostered a few? Guessing it may help change that perception that you alluding to.
Yes, great comment. There are SO many studs at the D2 and D3 level and I’ll always advocate for those athletes. Only 7% of high school athletes even go on to play in the collegiate level, so why are so many people looking down on those who choose to go the D2 or D3 route? It seems that girls commit to play D2 or D3 and are never heard of again; not because they aren’t making noise for their respective programs, but because the lax world just doesn’t care enough to make their accomplishments known. Throughout the years the Tewwy has usually included a couple nominees from both divisions on the watch list (Kole Pollock, Courtney Patterson, Steph Colson, Elizabeth Morrison, and many other talented players) but I agree that USA & the pro leagues moving forward need to do a better job of scoping out talent at all levels, because it’s certainly there.
There are many athletes at the d1 level that transfer to d2 programs. Not because they can’t hang. And let’s face it. Bottom half of the d1 list is not exactly great. A 1 after the D doesn’t mean a whole lot after the top 15. And that being generous. I know many girls that could easily play too d1. They choose not to. Nursing students are a prime example.
Bart

Post by Bart »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:12 pm

How many of you have heard of the following D2 players...Demmianne Cook, Claire Petersen Cannetti, Frankie Caridi?
Larry you are letting your down state roots shine through proudly I see :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: All Adelphi ladies? joking.

Although known to me I had never seen them play. They were a bit earlier than my time watching D2.

I believe Isnardi was middie of the year in 2019. Kole Pollock was the POY. She was absolutely fantasic and would have contributed heavily on any team she was part of.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Has there ever been any talk of a D1, D2, D3 round robin? All-star game? Anything where the divisions play each other in June? Anything? Going way back to the NFL, there was a time when the NFL played college all stars or something similar.
Bart

Post by Bart »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:49 pm Has there ever been any talk of a D1, D2, D3 round robin? All-star game? Anything where the divisions play each other in June? Anything? Going way back to the NFL, there was a time when the NFL played college all stars or something similar.
I do not know about that. I do know (on the mens side at least) that up until the early 1990's DI and DIII teams routinely played. The NCAA and fear of loosing to a DIII team put an end to that.
Laxinfordays

Post by Laxinfordays »

Cagekeeper wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:31 pm
There are many athletes at the d1 level that transfer to d2 programs. Not because they can’t hang. And let’s face it. Bottom half of the d1 list is not exactly great. A 1 after the D doesn’t mean a whole lot after the top 15. And that being generous. I know many girls that could easily play too d1. They choose not to. Nursing students are a prime example.
We have gotten way off topic on the coaching thread. But I do believe a transfer from stony brook left because she wanted to pursue nursing. I remember when my daughter was being recruited years ago. We were on a visit to a top d1 school. The coach said right there. If you want to be a nurse or in engineering this is not the place for you
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:47 pm
So, I am in the camp that 5th year players (more than regular transfers) don't owe their undergrad school anything if they want a change. Whether that change is based on academics/social/lax/location/etc. I don't care. Secondly, here is where I may disagree with you, I don't think that the player owes the WLAX community anything at all, related to where they play. If they want to ring chase, great. If they want to chill but still play with a completely different environment/coach/team, cool. If they want to help build a program, for whatever reason, go for it. I don't think they should be questioned about their choice and certainly are not responsible for taking their talents to an "up and coming program" just to serve the greater good. I kind of agree that honesty would be good with their public statements, if offered. But I would think its very hard to be honest and say "I am going to X University 'chasing a ring', I really don't care about academics/social/etc."
Very well said Doc, this is essentially what I was trying to say on the other thread when you informed me about Mueller's decision on NU. You put it much better!!

8meterPA wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:56 pm Larry, I think you should pose your question to the IWLCA, Inside Lacrosse, US Lacrosse and other organizations and lacrosse clubs that can directly influence and promote not only the top 10 D1 teams but all 110 D1 teams, D2 teams and D3 teams. If there is a perceived lack of respect of teams and players in the bottom 100 D1 teams, D2 teams and D3 teams it's because the previously mentioned organizations only focus and promote the top 10 teams and players like CN.

I think most individual posters on here understand that literally every team in D1 ranked from #21 - #110 has at least 1 player that could be on the roster of a top 10 team and that there are plenty of D2 & D3 players who could fit in very well on D1 teams.

Very great post 8m, and I'm sure you've read this article but I thought the section about her selecting a college was appropriate:

https://papreplive.com/2021/07/08/all-d ... xcellence/
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Great article!! I wish her the best at West Chester, great choice.
Bart

Post by Bart »

glaxer24 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:59 pm Great article!! I wish her the best at West Chester, great choice.
greaaaat West Chester........ Good Luck to her. PSAC is always interesting if not schizophrenic
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

glaxer24 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:59 pm Great article!! I wish her the best at West Chester, great choice.
agreed - excellent player who flew under the radar a bit in early HS years. I suspect she will be a multi-year AA at West Chester...no jinx! For some of the posters not familiar with ABC (Archbishop Carroll) they always graduate terrific players including Sam Swart, the Matey sisters, and current Villanova (previous Drexel) coach Jill Batcheller to name a few.
Bart

Post by Bart »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:26 am
agreed - excellent player who flew under the radar a bit in early HS years. I suspect she will be a multi-year AA at West Chester...no jinx! For some of the posters not familiar with ABC (Archbishop Carroll) they always graduate terrific players including Sam Swart, the Matey sisters, and current Villanova (previous Drexel) coach Jill Batcheller to name a few.
ummm you better go knock on wood but quick. We could find out real quick as West Chester lost a bit to graduation including Ms Altman who was a real crafty attacker.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Mary Claire Byrne named assistant coach at Virginia Tech

https://hokiesports.com/news/2021/8/11/ ... coach.aspx
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Bart wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:47 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:12 pm Dr. Tact and Bart...you both made some good points. The problem I still hear is that if you don't go to certain schools and play in certain conferences, then your accomplishments are insignificant. Everyone does not want to attend a school in the Power 5 nor should they be required to do so. I have been fighting for this thing called RESPECT since I have been involved in Women's Athletics.

There are over 117 schools that play D1 Lacrosse, 114 in D2, and 293 in D3. I have been lucky enough in my 28+ years as a Personal trainer to work with a lot of talented athletes. Some were more gifted than others, but most worked hard and went on to college to play Field Hockey, Basketball, or Lacrosse at one of the 3 NCAA levels. Very proud of all of them. I NEVER looked down on any of them and where they chose to attend school and play. I didn't say I liked all of the choices, but I always supported the girls. I know how good my clients were(are) and I just wanted them to make good choices. For the most part it has worked out quite well. That's the RESPECT I want all of the players to have. If Charlotte North had decided to leave Duke and gone to Jacksonville instead of BC, would you all be raving about her talent OR would you be doing that smirking dismissal of her because Jacksonville plays in the ASUN conference? Talent is Talent. Just like Coaching is Coaching. You either have talent or you don't. You either can coach or you can't.

How many of you have heard of the following D2 players...Demmianne Cook, Claire Petersen Cannetti, Frankie Caridi?
Let me tell you about a girl named Hunter Isnardi. She played at Mercy College(class of 2019) and was a 3X 1st team All-American, the top offensive player in D2 in her Jr. and Sr. years. She's the All-time leading scorer in the history in D2. A complete Lacrosse Badass! I watched her play several times and I tell you that if she played at a top 20 D1 team, she would be a significant player. She was just simply talented and outstanding. So why didn't she go D1? I don't know, but she made her situation work to the zenith for her. My point...do not try to dismiss Hunter because she chose to go to a D2. It's a choice, not a condemnation.

I have 3 clients who are going to D1 schools this Fall. One is a Transfer, the other two will be Freshmen. The Transfer is going to a Power 5 conference and the others will be at 2nd level conferences. My wish and hope is that ALL do well academically and Athletically. That's always my goal, all the time with every client.
I do not know where in my post you got disrespect from. The point is that there are numbers and there are numbers. Competition matters.

BTW, I know the D2 players you speak. I also know of Isnardi and have watched her play in person. Good player and Mercy certainly allowed her to develop. There are lots of very good players at the D2 level. Many talented kids play there and many will continue to do so. If anyone thinks there is no talent in the other two divisions then they are just hot paying attention.

I enjoy this Bart.
If you know who the D2 players are that I mentioned, outside of Isnardi, then you should have corrected the mistake that I purposely made. Look at that again. :)
Saying Isnardi is a "Good" player is such an understatement and THAT is exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to RESPECT. She is a GREAT player! There are always a bunch of players in D2 and D3 that would have done just fine or better at the D1 level, and Hunter Isnardi would have been a very strong player at that level. She may not have been an AA, but she would have had a very good career.

You said "if anyone thinks there is no talent in the other two divisions then they are just not paying attention."
They're Not!
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I could tell you the story of a former client who actually who got a tryout for the US team many years ago. I'm not going into any details because I still get really angry about it. However, what a coach and a selector told me was the biggest bunch of crapola I have ever heard. After that I had ZERO interest in the US Team...and still don't, despite a good friend being the Assistant Coach now.

8meterPA...I have taken that fight up with the IWLCA on 2 separate occasions and it was a COMPLETE waste of time and breath. There will not be a third time!!
Last edited by LarryGamLax on Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I agree glaxer24...the fault for this lies with all of us. I have said for YEARS that Women's Lacrosse could do more and they have chosen not to. The Tewaaraton Watchlist mention of a few D2 and D3 players here and there, is Freakin useless and insulting. No D2 or D3 player will EVER win the Tewaaraton! Being on the Watchlist does what for the player? Is that akin to getting a 'Like' on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube? Actually those are probably worth more.
As for Athletes Unlimited, I would love to hear Joe Beninati and Courtney Martinez Connor answer the question of why no D2 or D3 Laxers were included in the tryouts or are on any of the Rosters. Lots of throat-clearing and hum mina, hum mina, hum mina. :lol: :lol: :lol:
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Laxinfordays wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:57 pm
Cagekeeper wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:31 pm
We have gotten way off topic on the coaching thread. But I do believe a transfer from stony brook left because she wanted to pursue nursing. I remember when my daughter was being recruited years ago. We were on a visit to a top d1 school. The coach said right there. If you want to be a nurse or in engineering this is not the place for you

Yes, I know what you're saying is true and it's sad. So you can go to an Ivy or NESCAC and be Pre-Med, Engineering, Nursing and be just fine athletically. However, at some other schools, your career goals(that's why you go to college?) have to take a backseat to Lacrosse? What's wrong with that picture??
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

You were doing great until you mentioned Jill! :lol: :lol: :lol:
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Anyone who is a fan of women's athletics and is NOT familiar with West Chester should do some Googling. These women paved the way 100%.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

BTW...we have strayed off topic, so let me see if I can return it to such.

The hiring of KIM HILLIER by Drexel was a terrific get by them. Lots of experience as an assistant at one of the top programs in the Country. I wonder why Syracuse would not reach out for someone of this caliber? Just wondering.

Hannah Rudloff Wszalek(formerly of Drexel) is the new HC at D3 Arcadia University. Hannah brought in a terrific group of recruits to Drexel(as we witnessed this past season with Jill Batcheller as HC) before she resigned to go to Asia with her husband. This will be interesting to watch a D1 Coach turnaround a D3 program. It will be tough and require lots of work, but she will be up to the task. Arcadia was 2-10 last season, so they should only improve their victories by at least 4 Ws in Wszalek's first season.

No hiring yet for Coastal Carolina? What's up with that? Selvage left a lot there for someone to run with. They were 2-3 victories away from finishing in the top 25. I'm surprised that no one has jumped on this.
Bart

Post by Bart »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:23 am
Bart wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:47 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:12 pm Dr. Tact and Bart...you both made some good points. The problem I still hear is that if you don't go to certain schools and play in certain conferences, then your accomplishments are insignificant. Everyone does not want to attend a school in the Power 5 nor should they be required to do so. I have been fighting for this thing called RESPECT since I have been involved in Women's Athletics.

There are over 117 schools that play D1 Lacrosse, 114 in D2, and 293 in D3. I have been lucky enough in my 28+ years as a Personal trainer to work with a lot of talented athletes. Some were more gifted than others, but most worked hard and went on to college to play Field Hockey, Basketball, or Lacrosse at one of the 3 NCAA levels. Very proud of all of them. I NEVER looked down on any of them and where they chose to attend school and play. I didn't say I liked all of the choices, but I always supported the girls. I know how good my clients were(are) and I just wanted them to make good choices. For the most part it has worked out quite well. That's the RESPECT I want all of the players to have. If Charlotte North had decided to leave Duke and gone to Jacksonville instead of BC, would you all be raving about her talent OR would you be doing that smirking dismissal of her because Jacksonville plays in the ASUN conference? Talent is Talent. Just like Coaching is Coaching. You either have talent or you don't. You either can coach or you can't.

Let me tell you about a girl named Hunter Isnardi. She played at Mercy College(class of 2019) and was a 3X 1st team All-American, the top offensive player in D2 in her Jr. and Sr. years. She's the All-time leading scorer in the history in D2. A complete Lacrosse Badass! I watched her play several times and I tell you that if she played at a top 20 D1 team, she would be a significant player. She was just simply talented and outstanding. So why didn't she go D1? I don't know, but she made her situation work to the zenith for her. My point...do not try to dismiss Hunter because she chose to go to a D2. It's a choice, not a condemnation.

I have 3 clients who are going to D1 schools this Fall. One is a Transfer, the other two will be Freshmen. The Transfer is going to a Power 5 conference and the others will be at 2nd level conferences. My wish and hope is that ALL do well academically and Athletically. That's always my goal, all the time with every client.
I do not know where in my post you got disrespect from. The point is that there are numbers and there are numbers. Competition matters.

BTW, I know the D2 players you speak. I also know of Isnardi and have watched her play in person. Good player and Mercy certainly allowed her to develop. There are lots of very good players at the D2 level. Many talented kids play there and many will continue to do so. If anyone thinks there is no talent in the other two divisions then they are just hot paying attention.

I enjoy this Bart.
If you know who the D2 players are that I mentioned, outside of Isnardi, then you should have corrected the mistake that I purposely made. Look at that again. :)
Saying Isnardi is a "Good" player is such an understatement and THAT is exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to RESPECT. She is a GREAT player! There are always a bunch of players in D2 and D3 that would have done just fine or better at the D1 level, and Hunter Isnardi would have been a very strong player at that level. She may not have been an AA, but she would have had a very good career.

You said "if anyone thinks there is no talent in the other two divisions then they are just not paying attention."
They're Not!
What that they all played ab both Adelphi and Stony Brook? Why would I comment on that when we were talking about D2.

Isnardi was a good player. I did not use the word great and that is some how disrespectful. C'mon Larry. Perhaps I just do not throw that word around in regards to a player.

You seem to be looking for a quarrel where there is none. I watch more D2 games than probably anyone on this forum. I watch the talented teams and often the less talented teams as well. I know there are lots of very talented players in both D2 and D3 so if you think I am not respecting the kids in these divisions you are barking up the wrong tree.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”