Transfer Portal 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
coda

Re: Transfer Portal 2025

Post by coda »

Finster wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:42 am
Late Slide wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:32 pm This is not going to be a popular comment because folks scream all things player rights but I have a lot of dissonance with the transfer at the drop of the hat culture against the play for your team, lean on each other when you’re down by one and the fourth quarter, Fox hole sentiment. Every damn team brings in inspirational speakers to preach loyalty and selling your soul for your brothers. I absolutely understand that kids sometimes “need“ to transfer. But transferring now is wild, and its completely misaligned with the rah rah - high five mentality preached on the side lines.

It reminds me when my son was going through the D1 recruiting process and many coaches would implore my son to respect them and the program and let them know as soon as possible when he was no longer interested in the school all the while the very same coaches would immediately ghost once the recruit a slot up on the dry erase board committed. The whole damn thing is one big con.

It's not a con, it's simply life. If a coach loses out on a recruit to another school, he can't spend his life still still communicating with the kid. That wouldn't be fair to the kids who came to his program. Not to mention, it would likely be illegal.
Let's be honest, it is pretty dirty. I am not a fan of all the flipping and transferring, but the coaches pull all kind of things. It is all fair in love, war and recruiting, but it is adults vs kids in recruiting.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:59 am
Late Slide wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:32 pm This is not going to be a popular comment because folks scream all things player rights but I have a lot of dissonance with the transfer at the drop of the hat culture against the play for your team, lean on each other when you’re down by one and the fourth quarter, Fox hole sentiment. Every damn team brings in inspirational speakers to preach loyalty and selling your soul for your brothers. I absolutely understand that kids sometimes “need“ to transfer. But transferring now is wild, and its completely misaligned with the rah rah - high five mentality preached on the side lines.

It reminds me when my son was going through the D1 recruiting process and many coaches would implore my son to respect them and the program and let them know as soon as possible when he was no longer interested in the school all the while the very same coaches would immediately ghost once the recruit a slot up on the dry erase board committed. The whole damn thing is one big con.

It's not a con, it's simply life. If a coach loses out on a recruit to another school, he can't spend his life still still communicating with the kid. That wouldn't be fair to the kids who came to his program. Not to mention, it would likely be illegal.
Let's be honest, it is pretty dirty. I am not a fan of all the flipping and transferring, but the coaches pull all kind of things. It is all fair in love, war and recruiting, but it is adults vs kids in recruiting.
yes, it is. has been that way for a pretty long time, though. just different instruments at any point in time. if you're a "star", life is pretty good. outside of that, you better be pretty sure of what you're in for. and what you want to get out of it. this has been known, eyes wide open.
laxfanctfc

Post by laxfanctfc »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:08 am

yes, it is. has been that way for a pretty long time, though. just different instruments at any point in time. if you're a "star", life is pretty good. outside of that, you better be pretty sure of what you're in for. and what you want to get out of it. this has been known, eyes wide open.
In the offseaon it is news worthy and fun to watch but I don't think it a really big deal. A very small percentage of the college lacrosse population actaully transfers. I think it is a credit to the culture these teams build that they are able to get these highly recruited players to stick around for 4 years and barely sniff the field. Some guys stick around for 5 year and don't play. UVA, Duke, ND, Denver have rosters full of highly competitive players who in the end are happy to be on a team and get an education.
coda

Post by coda »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:08 am

yes, 5 stars are pretty good. There are still things that go on. Coaches will let it be known if you pick up a call/visit and are committed elsewhere. This is where you want a good relationship with your HS head coach. He can be the intermediary and help you through the process.
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Salisbury middie Jack Dowd to Maryland
Cuse's Trujillo to Loyola
UMass' Bregman and O'Leary to OSU
Brown goalie Connor Theriault to D2 Tampa

Incoming transfers to

Albany: Rocco Mareno (FO, Towson)
Boston U: Sam Burns (M, Ohio State)
Bryant: Richie Reid (M, St. John's), Brian Russell (M, Merrimack), Sage Garito (G, Franklin & Marshall), Nick Vance (M, Denison)
Canisius: Jeff Douglas (D, Ursinus)
Dartmouth: Will Stahl (M, Holy Cross), Thomas Power (A, Colorado College)
Delaware: Cory Capri (A, Yale), Jack Kolbe (A, Merrimack)
Denver: Judge Murphy (A, St. Lawrence)
Duke: Aiden Blake (M, Cornell), Graham Blake (A, Harvard), Paul Weathington (SSDM, Princeton), Eric Malever (A, Maryland), Luke Grayum (A, Richmond), Chris Cusolito (M, Providence)
Fairfield: KJ Delane (A, Merrimack)
Georgetown: Fulton Bayman (A, Notre Dame)
High Point: Jeb Brenfleck (A, Penn State)
Hofstra: Jon Singer (G, Ursinus)
Jacksonville: Drew Kessenich (M, Detroit Mercy), Dom Zingo (D, Lynchburg), Parker Yearego (M, Cleveland State)
Johns Hopkins: Jack Monfort (SSDM, Yale), John McKee (FO, Dickinson), Patrick Hackler (M, Yale), Luke Staudt (G, Loyola)
Le Moyne: Tom Vaughan (A, Cabrini)
LIU: Benjamin Schuster (M, Mount St. Mary's)
Loyola: Vinnie Trujillo (SSDM, Syracuse)
Marquette: Jack Casey (D, Army)
Maryland: Noah Armitage (M, Stony Brook), Bryce Ford (A, Fairfield), AJ Hernandez (D, Navy), Zack Goorno (SSDM, Bowdoin), Matthew Keegan (A, Binghamton), Luca Ward (A, Holy Cross), Jack Dowd (M, Salisbury)
Michigan: Pace Billings (LSM, Princeton), Lukas Stanat (M, Princeton), Will Byrne (A, Bowdoin), DJ Dixon (M, Wesleyan), Jackson Clay (A/M, High Point)
Mount St. Mary's: Nathan Committee (D, Bellarmine), Jack Smith (A, Randolph Macon)
NJIT: Russ Maher (M, Johns Hopkins), Dylan Sebastian (A, Hofstra)
North Carolina: Michael Gianforcaro (G, Princeton), Spencer Wirtheim (M, Cornell), Nick Dupuis (A, Stony Brook), Andrew O'Berry (SSDM, Harvard), Drew Scott (M, TCU football)
Notre Dame: Greg Campisi (LSM, Harvard)
Ohio State: Ryan Donnery (M, Quinnipiac), Corey O'Connor (D, High Point), Mason Bregman (A, UMass), Shane O'Leary (M, UMass)
Penn: Chris Patterson (A, Hobart)
Penn State: Jack Aimone (M, Rutgers)
Providence: Dan Donahue (G, Union)
Richmond: Ethan Gyllenhaal (SSDM, Bucknell), Brooks Rhine (D, Hobart), Jack Dougherty (M, Stony Brook)
Rutgers: Joseph Juengerkes (SSDM, Princeton), Ethan Barnard (FO, Bowdoin), Kasey Mongillo (M, Merrimack), Greyson Vorgang (A, Denver)
Saint Joseph's: Keaton Zavitz (M, Ohio State)
Sacred Heart: Matt Pepe (A, Bryant)
Stony Brook: Colin Reilly (M, North Carolina), Ethan Linsay (A, Army)
Syracuse: Mike Grace (D, RIT), Ryder Ochoa (SSDM, St. John's)
UMass: Gavin Begonia (A, Ohio State), Trace Hogan (M, Merrimack)
Villanova: Tyler Sandoval (FO, Princeton), Brett Mallee (D, Yale)
Virginia: Johnny Hackett (M, Bryant), Charles Balsamo (A/M, Duke)

*Notable* players in portal:

Attack
Dutch Furlong, Bucknell
Blake Behlen, Stony Brook
Matt Caputo, Ohio State
Koleton Marquis, Johns Hopkins
Owen Murphy, Maryland
Ryan DiRocco, Army

Midfield
Tommy Barnds, Princeton
Luke Nestor, Salisbury
Trevor Douglas, Quinnipiac
Nick Turrini, Lehigh
Griffin Turner, Hofstra
Gavin Dallas, Denver

Defense
Colin Hart, Brown
Mitch Dunham, Mount St. Mary's
Aiden Bodonyi, Ohio State
Owen Quinn, UMass
Jordan Vincent, Syracuse

Goalie
Jamison MacLachlan, Stony Brook
Jack VanValkenburgh, Albany

FO
Caleb Hammett, UMass
Andrew Degennaro, Harvard
Andrew Greenspan, Notre Dame
Last edited by HopFan16 on Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:34 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Vinnie Trujillo, Syracuse to Loyola per Terry Foy. Hounds need to backfill the SSDM position with the graduation of Sally and McGillicuddy.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per their social accounts over the past week, UMass transfers Shane O'Leary (M) and Mason Bregman (A) are headed to Ohio State for their final seasons

https://x.com/fightma247/status/1802000 ... qERZo33csA
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Tills must think the team has a deep run in them for 2025 with the offense he's added in particular. Ward and Hernandez are multi-year players. It's the loading up on graduate transfers that tells you that he thinks those player will potentially get the Terps over the top.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

He’s flat out gunning for Notre Dame.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:37 pm He’s flat out gunning for Notre Dame.
What’s ND look like next year?

Assuming Duke & UVA will be rebuilding…..
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:45 pm

TBD
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:04 pm
Bmk2222 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:45 pm

TBD
Agreed. Virginia graduated 18 players the prior year and had 6 players require surgery after this season. The attack will be without Shellenberger and Cormier for the 1st time and Kastner leaves the D. Those are big losses, but they will have far fewer upper classmen leaving than the prior year. I wouldn’t rank them top 5 pre season, but they could easily end up there as they lose AA players every year and usually reload. I don’t think talent will be their issue if they have one.
Last edited by blue angels on Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Wheels wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:30 pm Tills must think the team has a deep run in them for 2025 with the offense he's added in particular. Ward and Hernandez are multi-year players. It's the loading up on graduate transfers that tells you that he thinks those player will potentially get the Terps over the top.
Or he’s desperate and throwing as many darts as possible at a problem area.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

Powellfan22 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:49 pm
Wheels wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:30 pm Tills must think the team has a deep run in them for 2025 with the offense he's added in particular. Ward and Hernandez are multi-year players. It's the loading up on graduate transfers that tells you that he thinks those player will potentially get the Terps over the top.
Didn’t he just go to Memorial Day with a FO guy & a Close D guy, that’s about all? Doubt he’s desperate lol
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Tills is absolutely cleaning up. Many programs wanted Dowd.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:42 pm
Didn’t he just go to Memorial Day with a FO guy & a Close D guy, that’s about all? Doubt he’s desperate lol
Yes, and those two are now gone. I think he got some nice players, but there’s something about grabbing any and every transfer in the portal that seems off to me. It will be a big step up for a lot of these guys.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Former Brown goalie Connor Theriault will spend his graduate season with @TampaMLax, he tells @Inside_Lacrosse.

The People’s Goalie was a three-year starter for the Bears, stopping 51.5% in 44 games.

https://x.com/terencefoy/status/1802082 ... EO2hFStaxg
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Powellfan22 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:04 pm
Bmk2222 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:42 pm
Yes, and those two are now gone. I think he got some nice players, but there’s something about grabbing any and every transfer in the portal that seems off to me. It will be a big step up for a lot of these guys.
The two young guys in Ward and Hernandez are different than the graduate transfers. Tills is bringing those grads in to not just steady the ship. The Terps return more than enough to be a Top 10 or better team next year. He's bringing in those graduate transfers for a Memorial Day run. Losing Wierman is a huge loss, but there's a lot of confidence in the program with Shea Keethler to be the main FOGO with Sean Creter developing for the following years. The close defense, even with Zappitello's graduation, is going to be very good next year with Canfield, Burlace, Schaller, and an incoming pole like Laake. Bringing in Goorno shores up the shorty unit. The LSM unit is set. Maybe Hernandez can be the 3rd LSM, but McDonald and Larkin are well above average LSMs.

The offense last year needed 2 things. More dodging but more importantly more shooting. If you look at what Tills specifically brought in, you see very good shooters in Armitage, Keegan, and now Dowd. That will open a lot of space for dodging. Ford adds some pop with his dodging and distribution (replacing Malever). The midfield will run 2 deep again but will have better balance. Next year with these transfers is the bridge to the next cluster of impact recruits on offense for the 2026 season.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:22 pm Former Brown goalie Connor Theriault will spend his graduate season with @TampaMLax, he tells @Inside_Lacrosse.

The People’s Goalie was a three-year starter for the Bears, stopping 51.5% in 44 games.

https://x.com/terencefoy/status/1802082 ... EO2hFStaxg
Surprised he couldn't find a home in D1. Lot of teams will need goalies.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”