Healthcare

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: Healthcare

Post by jhu72 »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:26 am More good news on the vaccine front. "Slut Shot" for the win.

HPV vaccine cutting cervical cancer by nearly 90%

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59148620
... WOW. Great news.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:41 pm Advance in preeclampsia diagnoses.
Excellent. It killed my wife’s maternal grandmother and almost her mother and her.

Sure is a good thing we have balanced, compassionate laws regarding maternal health during pregnancy, now isn’t it?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:30 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:41 pm Advance in preeclampsia diagnoses.
Excellent. It killed my wife’s maternal grandmother and almost her mother and her.

Sure is a good thing we have balanced, compassionate laws regarding maternal health during pregnancy, now isn’t it?
... it is the main cause of death of women during delivery.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:41 am An example of a man worthy of a Nobel Prize.
+1
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

This is personal for me. My wife has been undergoing tests to make sure the dialation in her small bile duct was not liver cancer. She got a clean bill of heath this morning from all of those tests. I've been so scared for the last few months. When someone you love may be seriously ill, your perspective on life changes in a heartbeat. I just finished crying my eyes out knowing that cancer is not the issue my wife is going to be okay...
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:08 am This is personal for me. My wife has been undergoing tests to make sure the dialation in her small bile duct was not liver cancer. She got a clean bill of heath this morning from all of those tests. I've been so scared for the last few months. When someone you love may be seriously ill, your perspective on life changes in a heartbeat. I just finished crying my eyes out knowing that cancer is not the issue my wife is going to be okay...
Great news, best wishes.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:14 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:08 am This is personal for me. My wife has been undergoing tests to make sure the dialation in her small bile duct was not liver cancer. She got a clean bill of heath this morning from all of those tests. I've been so scared for the last few months. When someone you love may be seriously ill, your perspective on life changes in a heartbeat. I just finished crying my eyes out knowing that cancer is not the issue my wife is going to be okay...
Great news, best wishes.
Thank you very much MD. It has been a difficult few months. My wife texted me her results this morning and I cried my eyes out. The possibility of dealing with liver cancer has been horrific indeed. The process of my wife getting to be tested in the era Covid was very daunting. In the technical sense her testing was very low on the priority list of how certain medical procedures are rated. Her doctor did an amazing job being her advocate in making this procedure happen. All I know is my wife doesnt have liver cancer. It took us months to finally get an answer. In the USA it should not take this long for a very simple test. The contrast dye test took 45 minutes to finally get an answer. It took several months and many phone calls to make the appointment.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:37 am
Great news, best wishes.
Thank you very much MD. It has been a difficult few months. My wife texted me her results this morning and I cried my eyes out. The possibility of dealing with liver cancer has been horrific indeed. The process of my wife getting to be tested in the era Covid was very daunting. In the technical sense her testing was very low on the priority list of how certain medical procedures are rated. Her doctor did an amazing job being her advocate in making this procedure happen. All I know is my wife doesnt have liver cancer. It took us months to finally get an answer. In the USA it should not take this long for a very simple test. The contrast dye test took 45 minutes to finally get an answer. It took several months and many phone calls to make the appointment.
Well documented but my mother went into hospital taking a fall in house hosue and breaking her shoulder in Jan 20 and never left after they found the spots in her liver originally via a MRI. Docs this she has it elsewhere and it had metastasized but because of Covid I was never allowed to get into hospital to see her before she passed despite driving up there every couple of weeks. Any terminal illness in the era of Covid is a unmitigated disaster. Glad you don’t have to go through all that.

(I’m guessing the Rochester hospitals are far superior to Binghamton General as well)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Great news, best wishes.
Again, great news.
I'm sure your wife will get a big hug this evening!

As you say, "in the era of Covid"...this is the thing that so many of the anti-public health measures crowd fail to appreciate, that strained health systems, exhausted doctors and nurses, create a backlog for other procedures which are less urgent, but are incredibly weighty nevertheless.

Fortunately your wife is clear, but there are of course other instances in which a delayed diagnosis creates real risk of failure of response in time.

I know you guys are doing your part, but unfortunately, some think only about themselves, their own personal risks as if in isolation from the rest of society.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:51 am
Great news, best wishes.
Well documented but my mother went into hospital taking a fall in house hosue and breaking her shoulder in Jan 20 and never left after they found the spots in her liver originally via a MRI. Docs this she has it elsewhere and it had metastasized but because of Covid I was never allowed to get into hospital to see her before she passed despite driving up there every couple of weeks. Any terminal illness in the era of Covid is a unmitigated disaster. Glad you don’t have to go through all that.

(I’m guessing the Rochester hospitals are far superior to Binghamton General as well)
I don't pretend to understand all of the dynamics. My wife is a GI nurse and she doesn't understand how the test results are interpreted. The MRI showed an unusual dialation in her small bile duct with a suspicious spot on her liver. Her doctor told my wife that the technicians that read these MRI tests often "over read " the results to CYA. So anything they see could be problematic or maybe cancer. Until a highly trained GI doctor does an upper endoscopy you don't really know what your dealing with.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:04 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:51 am
Great news, best wishes.

I don't pretend to understand all of the dynamics. My wife is a GI nurse and she doesn't understand how the test results are interpreted. The MRI showed an unusual dialation in her small bile duct with a suspicious spot on her liver. Her doctor told my wife that the technicians that read these MRI tests often "over read " the results to CYA. So anything they see could be problematic or maybe cancer. Until a highly trained GI doctor does an upper endoscopy you don't really know what your dealing with.
Yeah MRI isn't official for cancer need a biopsy (or that’s how I understood it). In moms case they found three decent sized spots so everyone who saw it seemed pretty confident it was the big C.

I do know from the business side the MRIs are wildly over utilized in the healthcare industry. Lot of it is the doctors spend the dough on the machine so they want to get an ROI out of it and build up a bias.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:56 am
Great news, best wishes.
Again, great news.

As you say, "in the era of Covid"...this is the thing that so many of the anti-public health measures crowd fail to appreciate, that strained health systems, exhausted doctors and nurses, create a backlog for other procedures which are less urgent, but are incredibly weighty nevertheless.

Fortunately your wife is clear, but there are of course other instances in which a delayed diagnosis creates real risk of failure of response in time.

I know you guys are doing your part, but unfortunately, some think only about themselves, their own personal risks as if in isolation from the rest of society.
Unless you become the "squeeky wheel" MD you will never get the grease. My wife became her own personal advocate. She has a huge advantage most people don't. Her GI doctor is also her boss and is one of the few GI doctors who specialize in issues with the small bile ducts. He took a personal interest in her previous upper endoscopy and the results the other doctor determined. The problem was scheduling this very simple test in the era of Covid was a pain in the ass. My wife spent countless hours on the phone trying to schedule this test. The powers that be looked at this in their perspective as scheduling a common eye exam. My wife's doctor finally interviened and informed the doctor doing this contrast dye test the importance in finding out what was going on. Without his interjecting himself, my wife would have been waiting until April. If you have a doctor that is not actively advocating for you...then you wait and wait and wait and wait.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:24 pm
Great news, best wishes.
Again, great news.

Unless you become the "squeeky wheel" MD you will never get the grease. My wife became her own personal advocate. She has a huge advantage most people don't. Her GI doctor is also her boss and is one of the few GI doctors who specialize in issues with the small bile ducts. He took a personal interest in her previous upper endoscopy and the results the other doctor determined. The problem was scheduling this very simple test in the era of Covid was a pain in the ass. My wife spent countless hours on the phone trying to schedule this test. The powers that be looked at this in their perspective as scheduling a common eye exam. My wife's doctor finally interviened and informed the doctor doing this contrast dye test the importance in finding out what was going on. Without his interjecting himself, my wife would have been waiting until April. If you have a doctor that is not actively advocating for you...then you wait and wait and wait and wait.
Yup, advocate for yourself, use whatever connections you have to find others who can advocate as well.

Imagine the challenge for those without the knowledge of even how to advocate, where to go, who to ask for help...being told they simply need to get in line and then not knowing whether the line is even moving...I find the stories of those who fight fiercely to be heard, despite such disadvantages, to be particular moving.

Again, the message for us all is to care about whatever little bit we can do to make the process a little easier and faster, the line a little shorter, because we didn't contribute negatively to the pressures on the health system ourselves when we could have taken action otherwise with darn little sacrifice to ourselves. Get vaxxed and boosted, where a mask in crowded spaces. Just try a little...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Great news, best wishes.
Again, great news.

When my father went through his 5-6mo mess about 9yrs ago I left
For a trip to India/Nepal for about three weeks and came back and a rotation of probably 15 doctors had seen him and none helped and none were conference that he got no oral care because he had Ischemia in the stomach preventing a necessary hip surgery (full replacement balls me socket had ground away for lack of cartilage for many many years he just broke it falling down w Pneumonia before we could schedule an orderly replacement down here). Literally when I got back he had a yellow coating over his tongue as nothing had been administered orally in weeks. I nearly got tossed for getting after the completely indifferent nursing staff about 6 times (and still hold my sister responsible as she hands me a notebook of useless information she took down from doctors staying there while I was gone but never thought to press that issue once). The one of a group who hadn’t been in since before w took off for our trip, an internist, gets in a day or two after I’m back and lit the entire staff of fire and got him the care he deserves for basic human maintenance thisquick. As I had been in a Atlanta only 2yrs at that point and young and healthy I didn’t have a Gp. He was closed to new patients but after my dad died he agreed to take me on and is my GP to this day. Great guy but I watched old dudes who practiced snake charmer medicine to the 28yr old who just came down from Columbia or Weill and wanted to try risky experimental stuff on him all day and night like he was a rat but this one was the only decent one of them all from my observation who actually cared about people .

Was always a little hesitant with doctors due to the many anecdotal I had seen with deeply flawed human biases and this didn’t help my trust in the profession overall.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:48 pm
Great news, best wishes.
Again, great news.

Yup, advocate for yourself, use whatever connections you have to find others who can advocate as well.

Imagine the challenge for those without the knowledge of even how to advocate, where to go, who to ask for help...being told they simply need to get in line and then not knowing whether the line is even moving...I find the stories of those who fight fiercely to be heard, despite such disadvantages, to be particular moving.

Again, the message for us all is to care about whatever little bit we can do to make the process a little easier and faster, the line a little shorter, because we didn't contribute negatively to the pressures on the health system ourselves when we could have taken action otherwise with darn little sacrifice to ourselves. Get vaxxed and boosted, where a mask in crowded spaces. Just try a little...
Agree with you 100%. We all have to learn to advocate for ourselves. Unless you learn persistence and perseverance the system will beat you down and sweep you under the rug. I remember one phone call my wife made. She was put on hold forever. She was transferred to the doctors office she had been waiting for...only to be disconnected and forced to start all over again. It would have easier at that point to say screw it and give up. My wife is half Sicilian and half pitbull. They didn't know then who they were dealing with...that is the attitude you have to take when you are your only advocate.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Wonderful news, Cradle!!

Return to “POLITICS”